PDA

View Full Version : Break up cat fights

Super Man
January 8th 15, 02:02 AM
What is the best way to break up cat fights i have to seperat them and yell at them to stop growling

Mack A. Damia
January 8th 15, 02:58 AM
On Wed, 7 Jan 2015 18:02:35 -0800 (PST), Super Man
> wrote:

>What is the best way to break up cat fights i have to seperat them and yell at them to stop growling

Cats play roughly. My two will be licking and cleaning each other one
minute and fighting the next. I usually ignore most of it, but if it
gets bad, just tell them in a stern voice to stop it. You can take a
sheet of newspaper and wave it at them, too, while you are telling
them. They don't like you acting nuts.

--

Super Man
January 8th 15, 03:12 AM

Christina Websell
January 9th 15, 08:01 PM
"Super Man" > wrote in message
> What is the best way to break up cat fights i have to seperat them and
> yell at them to stop growling

You might try one of those puffer air things that clean your keyboard and
puff it into their face when they are fighting, works every time. They
decide it's a bad idea.

Super Man
January 9th 15, 09:15 PM
On Friday, 9 January 2015 15:01:46 UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
> "Super Man" > wrote in message
> > What is the best way to break up cat fights i have to seperat them and
> > yell at them to stop growling
>
> You might try one of those puffer air things that clean your keyboard and
> puff it into their face when they are fighting, works every time. They
> decide it's a bad idea.

i may try it

Christina Websell
January 13th 15, 09:07 PM
"Super Man" > wrote in message
> On Friday, 9 January 2015 15:01:46 UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
>> "Super Man" > wrote in message
>> > What is the best way to break up cat fights i have to seperat them and
>> > yell at them to stop growling
>>
>> You might try one of those puffer air things that clean your keyboard
>> and
>> puff it into their face when they are fighting, works every time. They
>> decide it's a bad idea.
>
> i may try it

don't do it unless it's essential, it's a last ditch thing if you cannot
break them up from fighting any other way. It frightens them big time,
which we all don't want to do

buglady[_2_]
January 13th 15, 10:00 PM

> don't do it unless it's essential, it's a last ditch thing if you cannot
> break them up from fighting any other way. It frightens them big time,
> which we all don't want to do

...........I agree with you. I have one cat whose mission it is to go
after one of my younger ones. I think I made it worse by getting on her
when she started all that, since it did not the slightest bit of good.
This younger cat did nothing to her. Don't know why she hates him.

..........If all they're doing is growling, I'd leave them to sort it
out. All my cats do a bit of paw waving and hissing once in a while.
They really don't pack up like dogs do, but they do have a pecking
order. Only my old cat seriously tries to kill the younger one. He's
finally standing up for himself and it doesn't frighten him as much.

buglady
take out the dogs before replying

Christina Websell
January 16th 15, 06:13 PM
"buglady" > wrote in message
> On 1/13/2015 4:07 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
>

>> don't do it unless it's essential, it's a last ditch thing if you cannot
>> break them up from fighting any other way. It frightens them big time,
>> which we all don't want to do
>
> ..........I agree with you. I have one cat whose mission it is to go
> after one of my younger ones. I think I made it worse by getting on her
> when she started all that, since it did not the slightest bit of good.
> This younger cat did nothing to her. Don't know why she hates him.

well I leave it to you about allowing that. I wouldn't.

Super Man
January 17th 15, 04:18 PM
So far the cats are getting along now

Sylvia M[_3_]
January 18th 15, 05:21 AM
"Super Man" > wrote in message
> So far the cats are getting along now

Did you do anything to facilitate?

Super Man
January 20th 15, 06:20 AM
On Sunday, 18 January 2015 00:21:59 UTC-5, Sylvia M wrote:
> "Super Man" > wrote in message
> > So far the cats are getting along now
>
> Did you do anything to facilitate?

no it happens around when i am in bed

Mack A. Damia
January 20th 15, 05:33 PM
On Mon, 19 Jan 2015 22:20:18 -0800 (PST), Super Man
> wrote:

>On Sunday, 18 January 2015 00:21:59 UTC-5, Sylvia M wrote:
>> "Super Man" > wrote in message
>> > So far the cats are getting along now
>>
>> Did you do anything to facilitate?
>
>no it happens around when i am in bed

Where do they sleep?

I have a cat tree next to my bed with three levels, and my two
sometimes fight to see who can be "Top Cat" - especially when it's
bedtime. But it's not a big deal. One of them usually backs down
before I can say something to them.

--

John Doe[_2_]
February 12th 15, 09:33 PM
Super Man > wrote:

> What is the best way to break up cat fights i have to seperat them and
> yell at them to stop growling

It ain't easy. But you should clip the aggressor's claws. Cats depend on
their claws, it's their livelihood, it's their life. That's why so many
expressions associate claws with cats. Clipping the aggressor's claws is
a great way to help minimize any damage. It might not stop the trauma,
but it will stop the injury. It might even eventually be understood that
the aggressor has dull claws (I doubt it but it's possible).

John Doe[_2_]
March 13th 15, 02:42 AM
Hyperactive off-topic troll...

John Doe[_2_]
March 13th 15, 02:56 AM
Of course the other reply was a mistake.

I have a new stray, a large female that treats the other cats as toys.
Using a tale extender is another method for coping with a bully. Instead
of putting a bell on their collar, you can put it on their tail where
it's more effective. The newcomer thinks everything that moves is a toy,
it is twice the size of my calico, and it is causing the calico
noticeable anxiety. It is unrelenting. The first round of using a tale
extender went reasonably well. The newcomer is a great cat, but it must
be shepherded to take into account the fact that the calico cannot run
away.

Also useful is to make sure they are separated when your way. Since I've
noticed the anxiety, I have become more assertive in stepping in to stop
the newcomer when the calico has obviously been pushed to its limit.

> Super Man > wrote:
>
>> What is the best way to break up cat fights i have to seperat them
>> and yell at them to stop growling
>
> It ain't easy. But you should clip the aggressor's claws. Cats depend
> on their claws, it's their livelihood, it's their life. That's why so
> many expressions associate claws with cats. Clipping the aggressor's
> claws is a great way to help minimize any damage. It might not stop
> the trauma, but it will stop the injury. It might even eventually be
> understood that the aggressor has dull claws (I doubt it but it's
> possible).

John Doe[_2_]
March 13th 15, 02:58 AM
"Also useful is to make sure they are separated when your way."
Should be...
"Also useful is to make sure they are separated when you're away."