PDA

View Full Version : Flea meds

Super Man
January 30th 15, 06:10 AM
What kind of flea meds work great and are safe to use on cats

Mark Carroll[_2_]
January 30th 15, 09:28 AM
Super Man > writes:

> What kind of flea meds work great and are safe to use on cats

I don't know which country you're in and what brands you have available
locally but Advantage and Frontline are both pretty good in my
experience. They're not cheap, but I've heard enough anecdotes about
cheaper treatments making people's cats ill that I've not risked it. Do
check the instructions to make sure to buy the one for appropriate
weight, etc.

I haven't much tried the collars because I didn't happen to come across
one that will do the emergency release thing if the cat gets really
stuck somewhere, and I've usually had indoor cats anyway.

-- Mark

Mack A. Damia
January 30th 15, 04:23 PM
On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 22:10:26 -0800 (PST), Super Man
> wrote:

>What kind of flea meds work great and are safe to use on cats

Front Line didn't work, but Revolution does.

--

Super Man
January 30th 15, 06:08 PM

buglady[_2_]
January 30th 15, 06:17 PM
On 1/30/2015 1:08 PM, Super Man wrote:
> Front line seemed like it help i havent seen no scratching yet i tried bug bombers for the house bug they never done the job

.......Heh! That's because all that vapor goes UP where the fleas ain't.
I'm in FL and there's resistance to Advantage and Frontline, so I use
Revolution.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Super Man
January 31st 15, 03:15 AM
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 1:17:57 PM UTC-5, buglady wrote:
> On 1/30/2015 1:08 PM, Super Man wrote:
> > Front line seemed like it help i havent seen no scratching yet i tried bug bombers for the house bug they never done the job
> >
> ......Heh! That's because all that vapor goes UP where the fleas ain't.
> I'm in FL and there's resistance to Advantage and Frontline, so I use
> Revolution.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

what should i do about the fleas that swarm the basement that's were the fleas come from and then they get on the cats this is an old house i live in

Mack A. Damia
January 31st 15, 03:40 AM
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 19:15:33 -0800 (PST), Super Man
> wrote:

>On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 1:17:57 PM UTC-5, buglady wrote:
>> On 1/30/2015 1:08 PM, Super Man wrote:
>> > Front line seemed like it help i havent seen no scratching yet i tried bug bombers for the house bug they never done the job
>> >
>> ......Heh! That's because all that vapor goes UP where the fleas ain't.
>> I'm in FL and there's resistance to Advantage and Frontline, so I use
>> Revolution.
>>
>> buglady
>> take out the dog before replying
>
> what should i do about the fleas that swarm the basement that's were the fleas come from and then they get on the cats this is an old house i live in

Call an exterminator.

--

buglady[_2_]
January 31st 15, 06:48 PM
On 1/30/2015 10:15 PM, Super Man wrote:

> what should i do about the fleas that swarm the basement that's were the fleas come from and then they get on the cats this is an old house i live in

......borax or Fleabusters. Is the floor of the basement dirt or
concrete? If concrete you could try dehumidifier also.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Mack A. Damia
January 31st 15, 08:05 PM
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:48:24 -0500, buglady >
wrote:

>On 1/30/2015 10:15 PM, Super Man wrote:
>
>> what should i do about the fleas that swarm the basement that's were the fleas come from and then they get on the cats this is an old house i live in
>>

>.....borax or Fleabusters. Is the floor of the basement dirt or
>concrete? If concrete you could try dehumidifier also.

Really, BL, if you have a bad flea infestation, over-the-counter
products ain't going to cut the mustard.

I say this from experience, and it's important to have your cats
flea-free before you exterminate, which could turn into a logistical
problem.

I am recommending a professional exterminator to save money in the
long run. Sounds as if the OP has an old, large house, and the fleas
won't confine themselves to the basement. You treat one area, and the
fleas move to another area, etc.

--

buglady[_2_]
January 31st 15, 08:42 PM
On 1/31/2015 3:05 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:48:24 -0500, buglady >
> wrote:
>> .....borax or Fleabusters. Is the floor of the basement dirt or
>> concrete? If concrete you could try dehumidifier also.
>
> Really, BL, if you have a bad flea infestation, over-the-counter
> products ain't going to cut the mustard.
...............Fleabusters can be applied by professionals and used to be
only available through pest control people. My neighbor called an
exterminator and they used an IGR spray, which you can buy over the
counter. Neither of these products kills instantly, unless they've
juiced up the IGR with permethrins or pyrethrins, neither of which are
good for cats, but people who ignored fleas for months want instant
results I guess. Personally I'm not fond of dust with either
diatomaceous earth or borax, so I use an IGR, which lasts for months.

A box of 10 bottles of Precor is 50 bucks. Nygar is resistant to
breakdown by sunlight, Precor is not.
Over the counter does not mean second rate.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/fleas-c-24.html

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Mack A. Damia
January 31st 15, 09:16 PM
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 15:42:09 -0500, buglady >
wrote:

>On 1/31/2015 3:05 PM, Mack A. Damia wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:48:24 -0500, buglady >
>> wrote:
>>> .....borax or Fleabusters. Is the floor of the basement dirt or
>>> concrete? If concrete you could try dehumidifier also.
>>
>> Really, BL, if you have a bad flea infestation, over-the-counter
>> products ain't going to cut the mustard.
>..............Fleabusters can be applied by professionals and used to be
>only available through pest control people. My neighbor called an
>exterminator and they used an IGR spray, which you can buy over the
>counter. Neither of these products kills instantly, unless they've
>juiced up the IGR with permethrins or pyrethrins, neither of which are
>good for cats, but people who ignored fleas for months want instant
>results I guess. Personally I'm not fond of dust with either
>diatomaceous earth or borax, so I use an IGR, which lasts for months.
>
>A box of 10 bottles of Precor is 50 bucks. Nygar is resistant to
>breakdown by sunlight, Precor is not.
>Over the counter does not mean second rate.
>http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/fleas-c-24.html

Not at all, but you have to know what to ask for and the right place
to get it. Where I live, they will sell you baking soda and swear
it's the right stuff.

Cheers!

--

Christina Websell
February 2nd 15, 08:43 PM
"Super Man" > wrote in message
> What kind of flea meds work great and are safe to use on cats

Stronghold. It does off fleas, worms and earmites. It's a spot on.

Boyfie gets it now and again (not monthly as recommended by a vet)
He's never had worms or earmites and fleas are not a problem because my
house is too cold in the winter for them to live. It was 2C in my bathroom
today.
I do it every six months, just in case he got worms from his prey. It's
probably not necessary.

John Doe[_2_]
February 12th 15, 09:28 PM
Super Man > wrote:

> What kind of flea meds work great and are safe to use on cats

The reason they are coming from your basement is because they thrive in
humidity. As "buglady" suggested, you should use a dehumidifier.

A dehumidifier helps in more than one way. But most importantly, it
nukes fleas. Buy an inexpensive humidity meter (or two if you want
confirmation) and keep the humidity below 50%. Then fleas cannot
reproduce.

No chemicals. Also helps reduce mold. Probably helps in other ways
especially in a very humid basement.

If you cannot cut off fleas coming from the basement, you must
dehumidify that area too. The idea is to make sure no fleas can
reproduce and the only fleas that ever get on your cats are the few that
might make it into your home from outside. Any newcomers only last for a
maximum of three weeks, then they are gone.