PDA

View Full Version : Cat has scabs on his back

Baldoni[_10_]
March 20th 15, 02:34 PM
I have adopted a cat that was left in my street he belonged to a girl
who moved out and left him behind. I have treated him for worms and
fleas several times over the last couple of years and that's not a
problem. He has however several scabs that run along his spine and I am
hoping someone can tell me what they are and how to get rid of them.
Thanks.

buglady[_2_]
March 20th 15, 03:42 PM
On 3/20/2015 9:34 AM, Baldoni wrote:
I have treated him for worms and
> fleas several times over the last couple of years and that's not a
> problem. He has however several scabs that run along his spine
..........I don't know where you live, but usually flea treatment should
be monthly, not a few times over the years. I'd say it's probably
fleas. You can get a flea comb and comb the fur and look for flea dirt.
If this can is hypersensitive to fleas it only takes on to make scabs.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Baldoni[_10_]
March 20th 15, 03:48 PM
buglady wrote :
> On 3/20/2015 9:34 AM, Baldoni wrote:
> I have treated him for worms and
>> fleas several times over the last couple of years and that's not a
>> problem. He has however several scabs that run along his spine
> .........I don't know where you live, but usually flea treatment should be
> monthly, not a few times over the years. I'd say it's probably fleas. You
> can get a flea comb and comb the fur and look for flea dirt. If this can is
> hypersensitive to fleas it only takes on to make scabs.
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

I'm in the UK he's treated for fleas I've been combing him and there is
no trace of fleas or flea dirt. I have to be careful when I comb him
because of these scabs on his back. They are small things but I notice
them when I comb him. Other than that he seems happy.

Sylvia M[_3_]
March 20th 15, 04:40 PM
"Baldoni" > wrote in message
> buglady wrote :
>> On 3/20/2015 9:34 AM, Baldoni wrote:
>> I have treated him for worms and
>>> fleas several times over the last couple of years and that's not a
>>> problem. He has however several scabs that run along his spine
>> .........I don't know where you live, but usually flea treatment should
>> be monthly, not a few times over the years. I'd say it's probably
>> fleas. You can get a flea comb and comb the fur and look for flea dirt.
>> If this can is hypersensitive to fleas it only takes on to make scabs.
>>
>> buglady
>> take out the dog before replying
>
> I'm in the UK he's treated for fleas I've been combing him and there is
> no trace of fleas or flea dirt. I have to be careful when I comb him
> because of these scabs on his back. They are small things but I notice
> them when I comb him. Other than that he seems happy.

Possibly ringworm?

Sylvia

Baldoni[_10_]
March 20th 15, 06:04 PM
Sylvia M wrote :
> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>> buglady wrote :
>>> On 3/20/2015 9:34 AM, Baldoni wrote:
>>> I have treated him for worms and
>>> .........I don't know where you live, but usually flea treatment should be
>>> monthly, not a few times over the years. I'd say it's probably fleas.
>>> You can get a flea comb and comb the fur and look for flea dirt. If this
>>> can is hypersensitive to fleas it only takes on to make scabs.
>>>
>>> buglady
>>> take out the dog before replying
>>
>> I'm in the UK he's treated for fleas I've been combing him and there is no
>> trace of fleas or flea dirt. I have to be careful when I comb him because
>> of these scabs on his back. They are small things but I notice them when I
>> comb him. Other than that he seems happy.
>
> Possibly ringworm?
>
> Sylvia

I wormed him with "Drontal" which I read would kill all types of worms.
He was living outside for a while before I took him maybe it's got
something to do with it. I have 2 other cats and they have never had
anything like this that I can remember. I'll see if anyone on here
knows what it is and if not I will give the vet a call.

Before I took him in he had a nasty looking cut to the front of him and
he lost his fur. My neighbour contacted the RSPCA and they came and
injected him with something which cleared it up. The girl who left him
was still living in her apartment at this time when the RSPC caught up
with her she claimed the cat was not hers. Then on a different day the
RSPCA took him away castrated him and brought him back. Lovely natured
cat he is as well.

buglady[_2_]
March 20th 15, 11:20 PM
On 3/20/2015 10:48 AM, Baldoni wrote:
> I'm in the UK he's treated for fleas I've been combing him and there is
> no trace of fleas or flea dirt.

..........If no fleas then could be one of the myriad skin diseases that
cats can get.

http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/Skin_Disorders_in_Cats.html

Above article didn't mention this critter.
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=3619

Some pix: http://www.cat-health-guide.org/cat-skin-problems.html

buglady
take out the dog before replying

cat owner
March 21st 15, 01:37 AM
On Friday, March 20, 2015 at 9:34:30 AM UTC-4, Baldoni wrote:
> I have adopted a cat that was left in my street he belonged to a girl
> who moved out and left him behind. I have treated him for worms and
> fleas several times over the last couple of years and that's not a
> problem. He has however several scabs that run along his spine and I am
> hoping someone can tell me what they are and how to get rid of them.
> Thanks.

it could be skin irritation from flea meds if you changed recently

MaryL[_2_]
March 21st 15, 03:16 AM
"Baldoni" wrote in message ...

Sylvia M wrote :
> "Baldoni" > wrote in message
>> buglady wrote :
>>> On 3/20/2015 9:34 AM, Baldoni wrote:
>>> I have treated him for worms and
>>> .........I don't know where you live, but usually flea treatment should
>>> be monthly, not a few times over the years. I'd say it's probably
>>> fleas. You can get a flea comb and comb the fur and look for flea dirt.
>>> If this can is hypersensitive to fleas it only takes on to make scabs.
>>>
>>> buglady
>>> take out the dog before replying
>>
>> I'm in the UK he's treated for fleas I've been combing him and there is
>> no trace of fleas or flea dirt. I have to be careful when I comb him
>> because of these scabs on his back. They are small things but I notice
>> them when I comb him. Other than that he seems happy.
>
> Possibly ringworm?
>
> Sylvia

I wormed him with "Drontal" which I read would kill all types of worms.
He was living outside for a while before I took him maybe it's got
something to do with it. I have 2 other cats and they have never had
anything like this that I can remember. I'll see if anyone on here
knows what it is and if not I will give the vet a call.

Before I took him in he had a nasty looking cut to the front of him and
he lost his fur. My neighbour contacted the RSPCA and they came and
injected him with something which cleared it up. The girl who left him
was still living in her apartment at this time when the RSPC caught up
with her she claimed the cat was not hers. Then on a different day the
RSPCA took him away castrated him and brought him back. Lovely natured
cat he is as well.

~~~~~
I would also be suspicious of ringworm. Despite the name, it in not a worm;
it is a fungus, and it is contagious (to other cats and even to people).
Take him to a vet an have him checked. A vet will probably use woods light
to check or may even recognize it by sight given the signs you listed.

MaryL

Baldoni[_10_]
March 21st 15, 12:09 PM
buglady expressed precisely :
> On 3/20/2015 10:48 AM, Baldoni wrote:
>> I'm in the UK he's treated for fleas I've been combing him and there is
>> no trace of fleas or flea dirt.
>
> .........If no fleas then could be one of the myriad skin diseases that cats
> can get.
>
> http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/Skin_Disorders_in_Cats.html
>
> Above article didn't mention this critter.
> http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=3619
>
> Some pix: http://www.cat-health-guide.org/cat-skin-problems.html
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying

Thanks for those links when I get home later I will give it my full
attention.

Baldoni[_10_]
March 21st 15, 12:23 PM
MaryL brought next idea :

> "Baldoni" wrote in message ...
>
> Sylvia M wrote :

>>> I'm in the UK he's treated for fleas I've been combing him and there is no
>>> trace of fleas or flea dirt. I have to be careful when I comb him because
>>> of these scabs on his back. They are small things but I notice them when I
>>> comb him. Other than that he seems happy.
>>
>> Possibly ringworm?
>>
>> Sylvia
>
> I wormed him with "Drontal" which I read would kill all types of worms.
> He was living outside for a while before I took him maybe it's got
> something to do with it. I have 2 other cats and they have never had
> anything like this that I can remember. I'll see if anyone on here
> knows what it is and if not I will give the vet a call.
>
> Before I took him in he had a nasty looking cut to the front of him and
> he lost his fur. My neighbour contacted the RSPCA and they came and
> injected him with something which cleared it up. The girl who left him
> was still living in her apartment at this time when the RSPC caught up
> with her she claimed the cat was not hers. Then on a different day the
> RSPCA took him away castrated him and brought him back. Lovely natured
> cat he is as well.
>
> ~~~~~
> I would also be suspicious of ringworm. Despite the name, it in not a worm;
> it is a fungus, and it is contagious (to other cats and even to people). Take
> him to a vet an have him checked. A vet will probably use woods light to
> check or may even recognize it by sight given the signs you listed.
>
> MaryL

Yes OK thank you !

Buddy's Mom
June 27th 15, 09:39 PM
Sorry I didn't see this before. My cat is allergic to carbs. His back breaks
out if he eats carbs. Try putting your cat on a NO carb diet and see if they
go away.