PDA

View Full Version : Peeing in corners

Sylvia M[_3_]
May 15th 15, 10:05 PM
I've been out of town, visiting my daughter and her family, and attending
my granddaughters university graduation. . . that's the good part.

My daughter's cat, Cleo, started peeing in corners of the room with her
litterbox, and on the rug in the foyer.
This may have started when they acquired a puppy, golden retriever, now a
two-year-old dog.
They mostly co-exist, and since the dog is not allowed in kitchen, dining
or living room, (he's very obedient about that)
that's mainly where the cat hangs out. He does get overly friendly with
sniffing and licking her. Then they get into a fight and then she runs
into the kitchen , behind the cabinet island, or into the dining room.

Cleo uses her litterbox for b.m.s and sometimes urination, (it's a self
cleaning box).
Daughter has changed litter, changed to just a covered litterbox . . . no
joy.
Cleo will pee on aluminum foil when it covers the corners where she does
it.
This is a pain for my daughter to clean up every day, and sometimes Cleo
will find another place on the wood floors to use. instead.

Not a UTI, has been checked repeatedly. Vet has no opinion as to what to
do.

My daughter thinks it's an "attitude problem" . . that Cleo does it because
she doesn't like the dog. She was there first.
Any solutions, beside "get rid of the dog" ?

T.I.A.

Sylvia

MaryL[_2_]
May 16th 15, 12:36 AM
On 5/15/2015 4:05 PM, Sylvia M wrote:

> My daughter's cat, Cleo, started peeing in corners of the room with her
> litterbox, and on the rug in the foyer.
> This may have started when they acquired a puppy, golden retriever, now a
> two-year-old dog.

<snip>
> Cleo uses her litterbox for b.m.s and sometimes urination, (it's a self
> cleaning box).
> Daughter has changed litter, changed to just a covered litterbox . . . no
> joy.
> Cleo will pee on aluminum foil when it covers the corners where she does
> it.
> This is a pain for my daughter to clean up every day, and sometimes Cleo
> will find another place on the wood floors to use. instead.
>
> Not a UTI, has been checked repeatedly. Vet has no opinion as to what to
> do.
>
> T.I.A.
>
> Sylvia

Are you familiar with Dr. Elsay's Cat Attract Litter? The scent is
designed to attract cats to the litter box. I have not had personal
experience with it, but many people have had great success with it. The
same company also makes Dr. Elsay's Cat Attract Additive. That comes in
a small container and is designed to be sprinkled on the top of the
litter. There are also a lot of success stories with it. You can find
a description and several reviews if you go to amazon.com. This would
be worth a try even if it is a behavioral problem.

MaryL

Sylvia M[_3_]
May 16th 15, 04:14 AM
"MaryL" > wrote in message
> On 5/15/2015 4:05 PM, Sylvia M wrote:
>>
>> My daughter's cat, Cleo, started peeing in corners of the room with her
>> litterbox, and on the rug in the foyer.
>> This may have started when they acquired a puppy, golden retriever, now
>> two-year-old dog.
>>
> <snip>
>> Cleo uses her litterbox for b.m.s and sometimes urination, (it's a self
>> cleaning box).
>> Daughter has changed litter, changed to just a covered litterbox . . .
>> no
>> joy.
>> Cleo will pee on aluminum foil when it covers the corners where she
>> does
>> it.
>> This is a pain for my daughter to clean up every day, and sometimes Cleo
>> will find another place on the wood floors to use. instead.
>>
>> Not a UTI, has been checked repeatedly. Vet has no opinion as to what
>> do.
>>
>> T.I.A.
>>
>> Sylvia
>>

> Are you familiar with Dr. Elsay's Cat Attract Litter? The scent is
> designed to attract cats to the litter box. I have not had personal
> experience with it, but many people have had great success with it. The
> same company also makes Dr. Elsay's Cat Attract Additive. That comes in
> a small container and is designed to be sprinkled on the top of the
> litter. There are also a lot of success stories with it. You can find a
> description and several reviews if you go to amazon.com. This would be
> worth a try even if it is a behavioral problem.
>
> MaryL

Thanks for this hint, I'll pass it on.
Sylvia

John Doe[_2_]
May 16th 15, 06:38 AM
"Sylvia M" > wrote:

> My daughter's cat, Cleo, started peeing in corners of the room with
> her litterbox, and on the rug in the foyer. This may have started when
> they acquired a puppy, golden retriever, now a two-year-old dog. They
> mostly co-exist, and since the dog is not allowed in kitchen, dining
> or living room, (he's very obedient about that) that's mainly where
> the cat hangs out. He does get overly friendly with sniffing and
> licking her. Then they get into a fight and then she runs into the
> kitchen , behind the cabinet island, or into the dining room.
>
> Cleo uses her litterbox for b.m.s and sometimes urination, (it's a
> self cleaning box). Daughter has changed litter, changed to just a
> covered litterbox . . . no joy. Cleo will pee on aluminum foil when it
> covers the corners where she does it. This is a pain for my daughter
> to clean up every day, and sometimes Cleo will find another place on
> the wood floors to use. instead.
>
> Not a UTI, has been checked repeatedly. Vet has no opinion as to what
> to do.
>
> My daughter thinks it's an "attitude problem" . . that Cleo does it
> because she doesn't like the dog. She was there first. Any solutions,
> beside "get rid of the dog" ?

I wrote a lengthy answer, but then it occurred to me... Why on Earth is
she keeping a two-year-old Golden retriever indoors? Sounds like the
pets aren't the only ones with problems. Talking about two girls by any
chance? Please don't answer.

Christina Websell
May 19th 15, 07:09 PM
"Sylvia M" > wrote in message
> I've been out of town, visiting my daughter and her family, and attending
> my granddaughters university graduation. . . that's the good part.
>

> My daughter's cat, Cleo, started peeing in corners of the room with her
> litterbox, and on the rug in the foyer.
> This may have started when they acquired a puppy, golden retriever, now a
> two-year-old dog.
> They mostly co-exist, and since the dog is not allowed in kitchen, dining
> or living room, (he's very obedient about that)
> that's mainly where the cat hangs out. He does get overly friendly with
> sniffing and licking her. Then they get into a fight and then she runs
> into the kitchen , behind the cabinet island, or into the dining room.
>
> Cleo uses her litterbox for b.m.s and sometimes urination, (it's a self
> cleaning box).
> Daughter has changed litter, changed to just a covered litterbox . . . no
> joy.
> Cleo will pee on aluminum foil when it covers the corners where she does
> it.
> This is a pain for my daughter to clean up every day, and sometimes Cleo
> will find another place on the wood floors to use. instead.
>
> Not a UTI, has been checked repeatedly. Vet has no opinion as to what to
> do.
>
> My daughter thinks it's an "attitude problem" . . that Cleo does it
> because she doesn't like the dog. She was there first.
> Any solutions, beside "get rid of the dog" ?
>
> T.I.A.
>
> Sylvia

No, sorry. Litterbox problems are difficult - Boyfie will simply not use
one for pooing in and we're still having problems with him pooing in the
bath in the early morning. But at least he wakes me up to say he has to.
If I ignore him, I hear him scratching in the bath - that gets me up!
He is out until midnight, I stay up to make sure he has the opportunity to
toilet outside so I'm not happy about it. There is nothing wrong with
him, it's becoming a behavioural issue because he wants me to get up to be
with him.
And once he had to poo in the bath in an emergency, and it got me out of
bed, so now, why not do it every day?

I tell you why, because if he keeps doing it he will spend the night in the
conservatory instead of his bedroom.

Sylvia M[_3_]
May 20th 15, 05:26 AM
"Zob" <zobva1 @ gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 May 2015 05:38:33 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
> > wrote:
>

>>I wrote a lengthy answer, but then it occurred to me... Why on Earth is
>>she keeping a two-year-old Golden retriever indoors? Sounds like the
>>pets aren't the only ones with problems.
>
> Maybe they live in the North where it's subzero in the winter? Or in
> the deep South where the dog is more comfortable in air conditioning?
> She didn't say the dog was not allowed to go outdoors and run or play.

Actually, the dog is out whenever she asks to be, and stays out as long as
she likes.
Just doesn't understand how to be gentle when approaching cats,
otherwise\is well trained.
i.e. Cleo was on my lap being petted, he sniffs her behind, licks her face
and doesn't back off when she hisses, until he is called to come, sit.

They ignore each other most of the time, and Cleo knows her 'safe areas'.

Sylvia