PDA

View Full Version : New study links schizophrenia to cat ownership

whisky-dave
June 18th 15, 11:13 AM
If you've not heard.

http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973/new-study-links-schizophrenia-to-cat-ownership

The other voice in my head doesn't agree.

buglady[_2_]
June 18th 15, 12:39 PM
All 3 studies hover around 50%. Isn't that like tossing a coin??

buglady
take out the dog before replying

On 6/18/2015 6:13 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

> If you've not heard.
>

> http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973/new-study-links-schizophrenia-to-cat-ownership
>
> The other voice in my head doesn't agree.

buglady[_2_]
June 18th 15, 12:59 PM
FYI, here's the facts on toxoplasmosis. Dogs can be infected also.
Since infection can be attained through multiple sources, these studies
don't impress me. It will just be another reason for folks to fear
cats, like the cat will smother your baby nonsense.

http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/toxoplasmosis/gen_info/faqs.html

On 6/18/2015 7:39 AM, buglady wrote:
> All 3 studies hover around 50%. Isn't that like tossing a coin??
>
> buglady
> take out the dog before replying
>
> On 6/18/2015 6:13 AM, whisky-dave wrote:
>>
>> If you've not heard.
>>

>> http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973/new-study-links-schizophrenia-to-cat-ownership
>>

>> The other voice in my head doesn't agree.

Rhino[_3_]
June 18th 15, 06:45 PM
On 2015-06-18 6:13 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

> If you've not heard.
>

> http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973/new-study-links-schizophrenia-to-cat-ownership
>
> The other voice in my head doesn't agree.

Approximately 50 percent of the people who later had schizophrenia had
cats around when they were children. That might seem significant at
first but I'm guessing that a much higher percentage of eventual
schizophrenics had exposure to hot dogs or peanut butter or
electromagnetic radiation as kids. Wouldn't those things be more likely
the culprit than cats?

Scientists express this sort of reasoning succinctly with the
observation that "correlation is not the same as causation".

As far as I known T.gondi has not been shown to cause schizophrenia. I
believe the cause(s) of schizophrenia remain entirely unknown. Someday
we will, I hope, figure out the cause of schizophrenia and that will
help us figure out how to prevent it, assuming it can be prevented. In
the meantime, accept that we don't know and avoid persecuting cats just
on the suspicion that they may be involved.

--
Rhino

Mack A. Damia
June 18th 15, 07:12 PM
On Thu, 18 Jun 2015 13:45:13 -0400, Rhino
> wrote:

>On 2015-06-18 6:13 AM, whisky-dave wrote:
>>
>> If you've not heard.
>>

>> http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973/new-study-links-schizophrenia-to-cat-ownership
>>
>> The other voice in my head doesn't agree.
>>

>Approximately 50 percent of the people who later had schizophrenia had
>cats around when they were children. That might seem significant at
>first but I'm guessing that a much higher percentage of eventual
>schizophrenics had exposure to hot dogs or peanut butter or
>electromagnetic radiation as kids. Wouldn't those things be more likely
>the culprit than cats?
>
>Scientists express this sort of reasoning succinctly with the
>observation that "correlation is not the same as causation".
>
>As far as I known T.gondi has not been shown to cause schizophrenia. I
>believe the cause(s) of schizophrenia remain entirely unknown. Someday
>we will, I hope, figure out the cause of schizophrenia and that will
>help us figure out how to prevent it, assuming it can be prevented. In
>the meantime, accept that we don't know and avoid persecuting cats just
>on the suspicion that they may be involved.

It's a weird thing. Reports claim that about 50% of the population
carry T.gondii. Appently, it's not just schizophrenia but depression
and anxiety as well. This thing may have altered entire cultures.

I also read that pregnant women should not handle litter boxes.

--

John Doe[_2_]
June 18th 15, 09:19 PM

--
whisky-dave <whisky.dave gmail.com> wrote in news:7ead02f2-1e0b-48d4-9485-a12bedc71919 googlegroups.com:

> Path: eternal-september.org!mx02.eternal-september.org!feeder.eternal-september.org!feeder.erje.net!1.eu.feeder.erje.net !goblin1!goblin2!goblin.stu.neva.ru!newsfeed.xs4al l.nl!newsfeed8.news.xs4all.nl!newspeer1.nac.net!bo rder2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!z60 no1891577qgd.1!news-out.google.com!k20ni2502qgd.0!nntp.google.com!z60n o1891572qgd.1!postnews.google.com!glegroupsg2000go o.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 03:13:13 -0700 (PDT)
> Subject: New study links schizophrenia to cat ownership
> From: whisky-dave <whisky.dave gmail.com>
>

> If you've not heard.
>

> http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973/new-study-links-schizophrenia-to-cat-ownership
>
> The other voice in my head doesn't agree.

whisky-dave
June 19th 15, 03:29 PM
On Thursday, 18 June 2015 18:45:15 UTC+1, Rhino wrote:
> On 2015-06-18 6:13 AM, whisky-dave wrote:
> >
> > If you've not heard.
> >

> > http://www.alphr.com/science/1000973/new-study-links-schizophrenia-to-cat-ownership
> >
> > The other voice in my head doesn't agree.
> >

> Approximately 50 percent of the people who later had schizophrenia had
> cats around when they were children. That might seem significant at
> first but I'm guessing that a much higher percentage of eventual
> schizophrenics had exposure to hot dogs or peanut butter or
> electromagnetic radiation as kids. Wouldn't those things be more likely
> the culprit than cats?

No more so than smoking certain types of pot, or taking acid I suspect.
They have found T.gondi in ottors in the UK, which they believe comes from empting cat litter into the water system.

> Scientists express this sort of reasoning succinctly with the
> observation that "correlation is not the same as causation".
>
> As far as I known T.gondi has not been shown to cause schizophrenia. I
> believe the cause(s) of schizophrenia remain entirely unknown.
They do but they think that certain things either trigger them or make you more likely to 'suffer' schizophrenia .

>from Someday
> we will, I hope, figure out the cause of schizophrenia and that will
> help us figure out how to prevent it, assuming it can be prevented.

Yes and that takes a lot of time and study.

> In
> the meantime, accept that we don't know and avoid persecuting cats just
> on the suspicion that they may be involved.

I'm not persecuting cats niether is anyone else. Most people know of mad cat ladies. Maybe constant exposure to T.gondi (rather than the cats) does cause cetain traits like this, we won't know whitout either animal testing and/or large scale studies.