PDA

View Full Version : Re: Astounding cat entrapment

Yoj
August 16th 03, 07:21 PM
What an amazing story, Knut! I'm so glad Sylvester is home at last. I
agree that, after surviving for so long under those conditions, he
deserves a chance.

--
Joy

"Knut Moe" > wrote in message
> Sylvester disappeared Tuesday July 1st in the afternoon. Of course,
being
> the head of our family, we feared something might have happened to
him - as
> he had never stayed away from the house for more than a few hours at a
time.
> Neighbors were alerted (thanks Ulf and Anna, Berit, Kjetil, and all
the kids
> around here for being on the look-out!), posters were distributed,
> animalshelters were notified. All to no avail; seemingly Sylvester had
been
> swallowed up by the ground.
> For the next weeks we searched quite a lot in the greater Furuset
area, and
> also nearby our house. Our guess was that Sylvester had been annoyed
by the
> fact that we just got our new dog (Alfa), and decided to protest this
by
> taking a prolonged leave of absence. We couldn't have been more wrong.
>
> While we were looking for Sylvester, we came across a few other stray
cats,
> one especially, who was looking sort of scruffy and in dire need of a
longer
> bath. We checked him out, found a eartag and checked out the
missing-list at
> www.nettkatten.no. Success! His owners had handed him over to a family
> catsitter at Grefsen in Oslo, and he had escaped from there. In
february,
> 2003!!!! From Grefsen to Furuset the distance is about 10 km, crossing
about
> 2-3 freeways in the process of getting here. The owners aborted their
> holidays, and got here in record time. Needless to say they were quite
> surprised to see him again, and their gratitude was overwhelming. We
were,
> of course, very happy for them - but missed Sylvester more than ever -
> although the fact that there seem to be more than a few long-time
reunions
> between cats and owners (or "staff" as we like to call us) gave us a
little
> hope.
>
> Apart from this, our summervacation passed, and hopes of finding
Sylvester,
> let alone find out what happened to him, faded. We received about 15
calls
> and requests to check a straycat out, but they were all somebody elses
cats.
> People do really want to help, though.
>
> The real breakthrough came Tuesday August 12th 2003. I had just
finished a
> businessmeeting at Kolbotn, and my cellphone rang. An agitated voice
told me
> she had found my cat, strangely enough I instinctively believed her.
"It had
> to be him - I just dropped him off at the vet, and saw your poster on
the
> way back. Give them a call!" I didn't get her name or anything, just
hurled
> myself into the car, and drove to the clinic - picking up Siren and
> Sebastian on my way there. (Thank God there weren't any police
controlposts
> on my way).
>
> The woman who found Sylvester gave me some disturbing information
about a
> schoolcontainer, and I was thinking in the direction of trash-dumpster
or
> something similiar - giving me some hope that Sylvester something to
eat
> whilst being trapped. Again I was to be negatively surprised.
>
> When we got to the vet, my poor cat was a pitiful sight. Weighing in
at 2.3
> kg, he had lost around 5 kg. All skin and bones, completely dehydrated
(even
> the eyes looked strange). He could not stand, eat or take care of
himself.
> For the next 4 days, he was treated at the clinic - after the initial
> bloodwork turned out - "Miracolously", according to the senior
> veterinarian - very good. Sylvester was given fluids intranvenously,
and
> started to improve immediately - much to the staff's surprise.
Although
> dehydrated cats are not uncommon, they had not seen a condition like
this
> turn out well - they had not seen a condition like this at all. We
visited
> Sylvester daily, and called there even more often. From each visit we
saw
> improvement; gaining stability, increasing fluidlevels, starting to
eat by
> himself, starting to drink by himself - even the bowelmovement was
great
> news, of course. We were also quite happy to see him start to clean
himself
> up, he was quite smelly at the time.
>
> While Sylvester was recuperating at the clinic, we got to the bottom
of what
> had happened at the school. The staff had carried alot of furniture
out, and
> into a shippingcontainer (the ones you see on boats and big trucks).
The
> container was to be used as a storagearea due to interiorwork in the
school
> over the summer. After it was filled up with tables, chairs, shelves,
some
> toilets and so on - it was locked up and left for the summer - all the
staff
> getting on with their holidays. Just before they locked, Sylvester
must have
> snuck in, and found himself a nice spot to relax. 6 weeks later- that
is 42
> days and nights - the now skinny cat came tumbling out when they
opened the
> container to carry all the furniture inside. The rest is, as they say,
> history.
>
> Sylvester came home from the clinic Friday, and has been with us for
24
> hours as I'm writing this. He is eating, drinking and being very -
VERY -
> sociable. He has even been horsing a little around with Alfa and
Sebastian,
> but mostly he's resting in our bed (there are no taboos after being
> subjected to a trauma like that). The bed is, tragically, located less
than
> 50 meters from where the container was situated.
>
> People at the clinic and elsewhere asked us if we had thought about
> euthenasia, but I think that would be terribly wrong. Having lived
through
> an ordeal like that, we will give him plenty of time to get well -
even if
> he does not recover fully, we will keep him as long as God's willing -
we
> just have to provide some extra care.
>
> We have no idea is this story is one of a kind, or if there are others
> stories alike. If there are, please send us an email - we would like
to get
> in touch with other catstaff who know of any long-term effects and
share
> experiences. I guess we all know that cats are extremely durable,
right now
> I'm just curious as to what extent.

John Biltz
August 16th 03, 10:07 PM
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 7:56:50 -0700, Knut Moe wrote
(in message >):

That is pretty amazing. I agree after surviving that for so long it
would be wrong not to give him a chance. I heard of a cat in a container
like that on a container ship who survived. They figured he survived by
licking condensation off the inside of the container. I would imagine
there would be a lot more of that on a ship at sea than Sylvester had.

> [...]
> but mostly he's resting in our bed (there are no taboos after being
> subjected to a trauma like that). The bed is, tragically, located less than
> 50 meters from where the container was situated.
>
> People at the clinic and elsewhere asked us if we had thought about
> euthenasia, but I think that would be terribly wrong. Having lived through
> an ordeal like that, we will give him plenty of time to get well - even if
> he does not recover fully, we will keep him as long as God's willing - we
> just have to provide some extra care.
>
> We have no idea is this story is one of a kind, or if there are others
> stories alike. If there are, please send us an email - we would like to get
> in touch with other catstaff who know of any long-term effects and share
> experiences. I guess we all know that cats are extremely durable, right now

Steve Touchstone
August 17th 03, 12:31 AM
Sorry for piggy-backing, but missed the OP somehow.

So glad that Sylvester was found, and that during the search you were
able to help reunite the other kitty with his family.

As you said, cats can be amazingly durable, and I couldn't give up on
him either after all he'd been through. I guess it's understandable,
though, for the suggestion to be brought up - as he was literally skin
and bones.

The closest story I have that relates to this occurred a few years
ago. There was a cat who adopted our apartment complex, and was fed by
half the people here. He slept inside just about whenever he wanted,
sort of rotating around through the complex and slept here about once
or twice a week. To make a long story a little shorted, when one of
the tenant moved out of state he was locked up in the moving van.
Several days later, when the furniture caught up with the former
tenant, he was found to be in pretty good shape. Thankfully, the
former tenat called back to the manager to let us know he'd been
found.