PDA

View Full Version : It's Official: Buffy Is an *Only* Cat

jmcquown[_2_]
January 26th 16, 07:42 PM
Yesterday I was in the "den" on the couch reading a book. Buffy had
been lounging in the living room.

All of a sudden she came bounding into the room, leaped up on the back
of the couch and started YOWLING.

I looked out the window. Uh oh! There was a black cat with white socks
sitting right behind the bushes near the window. She yowled again.

The cat paid no attention to her. Didn't even look in our direction.
It walked on.

She wanted that cat out of her territory. :)

So, like Persia before her, Buffy doesn't want to have anything to do
with other cats.

Of course it may have a lot to do with her having been bullied by
Frankie in her previous home. Or, in her younger life, as a feral.

She was a fierce orange tiger! Buffy can get loud when she wants to. :)

Jill

Christina Websell
February 17th 16, 12:28 AM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Yesterday I was in the "den" on the couch reading a book. Buffy had been
> lounging in the living room.
>
> All of a sudden she came bounding into the room, leaped up on the back of
> the couch and started YOWLING.
>
> I looked out the window. Uh oh! There was a black cat with white socks
> sitting right behind the bushes near the window. She yowled again.
>
> The cat paid no attention to her. Didn't even look in our direction. It
> walked on.
>
> She wanted that cat out of her territory. :)
>
> So, like Persia before her, Buffy doesn't want to have anything to do with
> other cats.
>
> Of course it may have a lot to do with her having been bullied by Frankie
> in her previous home. Or, in her younger life, as a feral.
>
> She was a fierce orange tiger! Buffy can get loud when she wants to. :)
>
> Jill

Boyfriend will not allow another cat here either. he fights if they come. so
I suppose he's going to be an only cat too. I would love to have one more
but he says no way.

jmcquown[_2_]
February 17th 16, 02:15 AM
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Yesterday I was in the "den" on the couch reading a book. Buffy had been
>> lounging in the living room.
>>
>> All of a sudden she came bounding into the room, leaped up on the back of
>> the couch and started YOWLING.
>>
>> I looked out the window. Uh oh! There was a black cat with white socks
>> sitting right behind the bushes near the window. She yowled again.
>>
>> The cat paid no attention to her. Didn't even look in our direction. It
>> walked on.
>>
>> She wanted that cat out of her territory. :)
>>
>> So, like Persia before her, Buffy doesn't want to have anything to do with
>> other cats.
>>
>> Of course it may have a lot to do with her having been bullied by Frankie
>> in her previous home. Or, in her younger life, as a feral.
>>
>> She was a fierce orange tiger! Buffy can get loud when she wants to. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> Boyfriend will not allow another cat here either. he fights if they come. so
> I suppose he's going to be an only cat too. I would love to have one more
> but he says no way.

I cannot imagine having more than one. She sure doesn't want another
cat around.

The two times I saw that cat it was walking towards my neighbor's house
(formerly owned by Fedders and Schwartzie, both RB). Turned out she was
cat-sitting, although why she wasn't doing that at his house I don't
know; she had brought him home with her. I told her how upset Buffy
was, please try to keep him out of our yard.

Buffy was growling and hissing for a good 20 minutes after she saw
Boots, she was that upset. She told me later, Boots is 17 years old.
He's very pretty, but please keep him out of my yard. I'd never seen
Buffy that upset before.

Jill

Christina Websell
February 27th 16, 06:17 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/16/2016 6:28 PM, Christina Websell wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> Yesterday I was in the "den" on the couch reading a book. Buffy had
>>> been
>>> lounging in the living room.
>>>
>>> All of a sudden she came bounding into the room, leaped up on the back
>>> of
>>> the couch and started YOWLING.
>>>
>>> I looked out the window. Uh oh! There was a black cat with white socks
>>> sitting right behind the bushes near the window. She yowled again.
>>>
>>> The cat paid no attention to her. Didn't even look in our direction. It
>>> walked on.
>>>
>>> She wanted that cat out of her territory. :)
>>>
>>> So, like Persia before her, Buffy doesn't want to have anything to do
>>> with
>>> other cats.
>>>
>>> Of course it may have a lot to do with her having been bullied by
>>> Frankie
>>> in her previous home. Or, in her younger life, as a feral.
>>>
>>> She was a fierce orange tiger! Buffy can get loud when she wants to. :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Boyfriend will not allow another cat here either. he fights if they come.
>> so
>> I suppose he's going to be an only cat too. I would love to have one
>> more
>> but he says no way.
>>

> I cannot imagine having more than one. She sure doesn't want another cat
> around.

It was nice to have two, Boyfie & KFC got on very well although she did bop
him round the ear now and again ultimately it had been her choice to bring
him home.

> The two times I saw that cat it was walking towards my neighbor's house
> (formerly owned by Fedders and Schwartzie, both RB). Turned out she was
> cat-sitting, although why she wasn't doing that at his house I don't know;
> she had brought him home with her. I told her how upset Buffy was, please
> try to keep him out of our yard.
>
> Buffy was growling and hissing for a good 20 minutes after she saw Boots,
> she was that upset. She told me later, Boots is 17 years old. He's very
> pretty, but please keep him out of my yard. I'd never seen Buffy that
> upset before.

It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let it
out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But you
cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will go
where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that cats
are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.

dgk
February 27th 16, 09:51 PM
On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:17:55 -0000, "Christina Websell"
> wrote:

>It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let it
>out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But you
>cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will go
>where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that cats
>are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
>would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.

That's an interesting approach. But dogs are supposed to be kept under
control and it isn't reasonable to expect a cat to do the same. Of
course, you almost never hear of a cat biting someone who was just
walking by.

jmcquown[_2_]
March 2nd 16, 12:31 AM
> It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let it
> out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But you
> cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will go
> where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that cats
> are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
> would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.

She did keep him inside (or maybe took him back home) after I found out
she was the one cat-sitting and letting Bootsie wander. I, too, would
be worried about him wandering off in unfamiliar territory.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_]
March 2nd 16, 12:34 AM
On 2/27/2016 3:51 PM, dgk wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:17:55 -0000, "Christina Websell"
> > wrote:
>
>> It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let it
>> out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But you
>> cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will go
>> where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that cats
>> are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
>> would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.
>
> That's an interesting approach. But dogs are supposed to be kept under
> control and it isn't reasonable to expect a cat to do the same. Of
> course, you almost never hear of a cat biting someone who was just
> walking by.

Things are different in the UK. <shrug> I've never had an
indoor/outdoor cat mainly due to many hazards. Dogs, of course, are
supposed to be leashed. And you're right, cats don't just run up and
bite a stranger like some dogs might.

Jill

Christina Websell
March 5th 16, 12:07 AM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/27/2016 3:51 PM, dgk wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:17:55 -0000, "Christina Websell"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> It's quite unusual to bring a cat one is cat-sitting home and then let
>>> it
>>> out (I'd be worried it would wander off in unfamiliar territory). But
>>> you
>>> cannot ask her to keep it out of your yard, that's impossible, cats will
>>> go
>>> where they want to when they are out. It's recognised in law here that
>>> cats
>>> are uncontrollable so for example if Boyfie killed someone's pigeons, I
>>> would not be held responsible, but if my dog did, I would.
>>
>> That's an interesting approach. But dogs are supposed to be kept under
>> control and it isn't reasonable to expect a cat to do the same. Of
>> course, you almost never hear of a cat biting someone who was just
>> walking by.
>>
> Things are different in the UK. <shrug> I've never had an indoor/outdoor
> cat mainly due to many hazards. Dogs, of course, are supposed to be
> leashed. And you're right, cats don't just run up and bite a stranger
> like some dogs might.
>
> Jill

Dogs don't just run up and bite a stranger either. If a dog bites, there is
a very good reason. In my experience with 30+ years with dogs I've only been
bitten once, breaking up a fight, and that was accidental.

The New Other Guy
March 5th 16, 02:04 AM
On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 23:07:00 -0000, "Christina Websell"
> wrote:

>Dogs don't just run up and bite a stranger either.

Unfortunately, they SOMETIMES do, for no reason we can know.

Not often, but it happens, especially when they're with other dogs.

Will in New Haven[_2_]
March 5th 16, 05:45 AM
On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 6:07:16 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > On 2/27/2016 3:51 PM, dgk wrote:
> >> On Sat, 27 Feb 2016 17:17:55 -0000, "Christina Websell"

> >> That's an interesting approach. But dogs are supposed to be kept under
> >> control and it isn't reasonable to expect a cat to do the same. Of
> >> course, you almost never hear of a cat biting someone who was just
> >> walking by.
> >>
> > Things are different in the UK. <shrug> I've never had an indoor/outdoor
> > cat mainly due to many hazards. Dogs, of course, are supposed to be
> > leashed. And you're right, cats don't just run up and bite a stranger
> > like some dogs might.
> >
> > Jill
>
> Dogs don't just run up and bite a stranger either. If a dog bites, there is
> a very good reason. In my experience with 30+ years with dogs I've only been
> bitten once, breaking up a fight, and that was accidental.

the dog, a Springer Spaniel, we had when I was an infant never bit anyone before I was brought home from the hospital and then she bit _everyone_ but my mother and grandmother who came anywhere _hear_ me. When I started walking she got more lenient about the whole thing and often went a month without biting anyone.

When I was two, Mom brought my little brother home and I was warned not to go near him without my Mom there "because Bumpy will bite you." But she didn't. I was in the Bumpy doesn't bite them club.

No one seemed to think it was odd and no one, to my knowledge, ever suggested putting her down. She died when I was seven and she was almost twenty and had not bitten anyone in about five years. She may have been bored.

--
Will in New Haven

jmcquown[_2_]
March 5th 16, 06:24 AM
On 3/4/2016 8:04 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Mar 2016 23:07:00 -0000, "Christina Websell"
> > wrote:
>
>> Dogs don't just run up and bite a stranger either.
>
> Unfortunately, they SOMETIMES do, for no reason we can know.
>
> Not often, but it happens, especially when they're with other dogs.

Yes, it does happen. That's why there are leash laws and regulations
about keeping dogs under your control.

I had a little mutt dog named Sampson, he was with me from the time he
was a tiny puppy, he was just barely weaned. He lived almost 18 years.
When he got old he developed dementia and one day he turned on me. He
didn't recognize who I was so he bit me. I had to go to the doctor to
get a tenatanus shot (he'd had his rabies vaccine so I didn't have to
worry about that.)

Even before that he never liked strangers, especially not men. When I
walked him I'd have to warn off little boys who thought he was a
"puppy". He wasn't a puppy, he was a small dog with very big teeth.

Jill

Joy[_3_]
March 5th 16, 08:36 AM
On 3/4/2016 8:45 PM, Will in New Haven wrote:
> On Friday, March 4, 2016 at 6:07:16 PM UTC-5, Christina Websell wrote:

>>> Things are different in the UK. <shrug> I've never had an indoor/outdoor
>>> cat mainly due to many hazards. Dogs, of course, are supposed to be
>>> leashed. And you're right, cats don't just run up and bite a stranger
>>> like some dogs might.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Dogs don't just run up and bite a stranger either. If a dog bites, there is
>> a very good reason. In my experience with 30+ years with dogs I've only been
>> bitten once, breaking up a fight, and that was accidental.
>
> the dog, a Springer Spaniel, we had when I was an infant never bit anyone before I was brought home from the hospital and then she bit _everyone_ but my mother and grandmother who came anywhere _hear_ me. When I started walking she got more lenient about the whole thing and often went a month without biting anyone.
>
> When I was two, Mom brought my little brother home and I was warned not to go near him without my Mom there "because Bumpy will bite you." But she didn't. I was in the Bumpy doesn't bite them club.
>
> No one seemed to think it was odd and no one, to my knowledge, ever suggested putting her down. She died when I was seven and she was almost twenty and had not bitten anyone in about five years. She may have been bored.

Apparently she decided you were her puppy, and she was going to protect
you from everybody else.

I think that even the dogs that do bite have a reason, even though we
may not understand what it is.