PDA

View Full Version : Re: Ping: MaryL - How is Duffy?

MaryL[_2_]
February 15th 16, 11:38 AM
On 2/14/2016 5:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Just checking. You did say he has hyperthyroid, right? I'd like to
> know how he's getting along.
>
> Jill

Thanks, Jill. Duffy is doing very well! I opted to use a compounded
liquid form of medication because he is difficult to pill. I first
tried to put the med on a little of his regular food, but he ignored it.
That meant that the only way I could be sure that only he ate that
portion would have been to lock him in a room by himself until the food
had been consumed, so I needed another method. That has been solved!
He absolutely loves chicken Liv-A-Littles (freeze-dried chicken), so I
carefully place the liquid on *one* piece of Liv-A-Littles. I do it
slowly to give it time to be absorbed. The problem is that all 3 cats
gather around me as soon as I get the Liv-A-Littles, and I had a hard
time making sure that he was the one to eat it. So, now I prepare the
medication/treat on the counter top, then lift Duffy up to eat it. He
loves it so much that it is gone in seconds.

Duffy has a very good appetite and heads for his food bowl (along with
the other cats) as soon as I prepare their regular meals. He is
supposed to see TED this Friday to be tested and make sure the
medication is doing its job. I am really happy about what I can see so
far. Unlike your experience with Persia, I have not seen any signs of
negative reaction to the medication. Incidentally, it is given 2 times
a day, and I am happy (both for Duffy and for me) that I do not have to
force it into his mouth.

Thanks for asking.

MaryL

Jack Campin
February 15th 16, 01:12 PM
> Duffy is doing very well! I opted to use a compounded
> liquid form of medication because he is difficult to pill. I first
> tried to put the med on a little of his regular food, but he ignored it.
> That meant that the only way I could be sure that only he ate that
> portion would have been to lock him in a room by himself until the food
> had been consumed, so I needed another method. That has been solved!
> He absolutely loves chicken Liv-A-Littles (freeze-dried chicken), so I
> carefully place the liquid on *one* piece of Liv-A-Littles. I do it
> slowly to give it time to be absorbed.

I give Chloe her antithyroid pills twice a day, tightly wrapped up in
strips of thinly sliced chicken. She comes to ask for them (and seems
to have a very short memory about whether she's just had one...)

I just put the roll in her mouth, she's happy with that. Though
with almost no teeth, it takes her a while to gum the chicken into
submission - the pill sometimes drops out so i need to try again.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

jmcquown[_2_]
February 15th 16, 03:03 PM
On 2/15/2016 5:38 AM, MaryL wrote:
> On 2/14/2016 5:41 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Just checking. You did say he has hyperthyroid, right? I'd like to
>> know how he's getting along.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Thanks, Jill. Duffy is doing very well! I opted to use a compounded
> liquid form of medication because he is difficult to pill. I first
> tried to put the med on a little of his regular food, but he ignored it.
> That meant that the only way I could be sure that only he ate that
> portion would have been to lock him in a room by himself until the food
> had been consumed, so I needed another method. That has been solved! He
> absolutely loves chicken Liv-A-Littles (freeze-dried chicken), so I
> carefully place the liquid on *one* piece of Liv-A-Littles. I do it
> slowly to give it time to be absorbed. The problem is that all 3 cats
> gather around me as soon as I get the Liv-A-Littles, and I had a hard
> time making sure that he was the one to eat it. So, now I prepare the
> medication/treat on the counter top, then lift Duffy up to eat it. He
> loves it so much that it is gone in seconds.
>
> Duffy has a very good appetite and heads for his food bowl (along with
> the other cats) as soon as I prepare their regular meals. He is
> supposed to see TED this Friday to be tested and make sure the
> medication is doing its job. I am really happy about what I can see so
> far. Unlike your experience with Persia, I have not seen any signs of
> negative reaction to the medication. Incidentally, it is given 2 times
> a day, and I am happy (both for Duffy and for me) that I do not have to
> force it into his mouth.
>
> Thanks for asking.
>
> MaryL

I'm so glad you've found a way to make it easy! Persia liked those pill
pockets "treats". The ear gel form was fine, too, but since the
medication caused yet another problem... heh.

Persia's allergic reaction was quite obvious. Her ears turned bright
pink and she started chewing the fur off of her paws. (She was itchy!)
Poor little girl had to wear a cone on her head until the medication
was out of her system. She was not happy being a cone-head. ;)

Purrs that the next visit to TED will show the medication is working
just fine.

Jill

Bastette
February 17th 16, 01:18 AM
Jack Campin wrote:

>> Duffy is doing very well! I opted to use a compounded
>> liquid form of medication because he is difficult to pill. I first
>> tried to put the med on a little of his regular food, but he ignored it.
>> That meant that the only way I could be sure that only he ate that
>> portion would have been to lock him in a room by himself until the food
>> had been consumed, so I needed another method. That has been solved!
>> He absolutely loves chicken Liv-A-Littles (freeze-dried chicken), so I
>> carefully place the liquid on *one* piece of Liv-A-Littles. I do it
>> slowly to give it time to be absorbed.

> I give Chloe her antithyroid pills twice a day, tightly wrapped up in
> strips of thinly sliced chicken. She comes to ask for them (and seems
> to have a very short memory about whether she's just had one...)

> I just put the roll in her mouth, she's happy with that. Though
> with almost no teeth, it takes her a while to gum the chicken into
> submission - the pill sometimes drops out so i need to try again.

Hmm, I think she might be playing you here. :)

--
Joyce

Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
-- Jan King