PDA

View Full Version : Flock of Ibisis


dgk
February 24th 16, 04:56 PM
I'm not sure what the plural of Ibis is, but the bird itself is a
pretty big (maybe 1 foot) white bird with a long red beak. The big
difference between them and the Egret is that the Ibis travels in big
packs and the Egrets are mostly solo.

Well a big flock of Ibisis walked around my house yesterday and the
cats went pretty crazy, running from window to window to get a good
look. It was really pretty funny watching their eyes tracking
individual birds. I have no idea what my cats would do if they were
outside and the birds came by, but my cats probably don't know either.

jmcquown[_2_]
February 24th 16, 06:51 PM
On 2/24/2016 10:56 AM, dgk wrote:
> I'm not sure what the plural of Ibis is, but the bird itself is a
> pretty big (maybe 1 foot) white bird with a long red beak. The big
> difference between them and the Egret is that the Ibis travels in big
> packs and the Egrets are mostly solo.
>
Aren't they pretty? I see them all the time around the ponds where I
live in South Carolina. Egrets, too, although I see them more
frequently alone. You might be surprised to know Ibises perch in trees
even though we most often see them on the ground.

For our UK members, this is the water bird we're talking about:

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/white-ibis

> Well a big flock of Ibisis walked around my house yesterday and the
> cats went pretty crazy, running from window to window to get a good
> look. It was really pretty funny watching their eyes tracking
> individual birds. I have no idea what my cats would do if they were
> outside and the birds came by, but my cats probably don't know either.
>
I'm sure the cats were going WTH are those things?!!!

The birds are bigger than your cats, especially if you count the
wing-span. I have a feeling those birds would fight back if cornered.
More likely they'd just fly off and scare your cats in the process. :)

I do hope you and the cats have gotten well settled into your new home.

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
February 24th 16, 08:40 PM
On 2/24/2016 11:51 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/24/2016 10:56 AM, dgk wrote:
>> I'm not sure what the plural of Ibis is, but the bird itself is a
>> pretty big (maybe 1 foot) white bird with a long red beak. The big
>> difference between them and the Egret is that the Ibis travels in big
>> packs and the Egrets are mostly solo.
>>
> Aren't they pretty? I see them all the time around the ponds where I
> live in South Carolina. Egrets, too, although I see them more
> frequently alone. You might be surprised to know Ibises perch in trees
> even though we most often see them on the ground.
>
> For our UK members, this is the water bird we're talking about:
>
> https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/white-ibis
>
>> Well a big flock of Ibisis walked around my house yesterday and the
>> cats went pretty crazy, running from window to window to get a good
>> look. It was really pretty funny watching their eyes tracking
>> individual birds. I have no idea what my cats would do if they were
>> outside and the birds came by, but my cats probably don't know either.
>>
> I'm sure the cats were going WTH are those things?!!!
>
> The birds are bigger than your cats, especially if you count the
> wing-span. I have a feeling those birds would fight back if cornered.
> More likely they'd just fly off and scare your cats in the process. :)
>
> I do hope you and the cats have gotten well settled into your new home.
>
> Jill

In addition to the birds discussed here, we often see flocks of cattle
egrets. It still amazes me to see them riding on the backs of cattle
(and plucking insects off their backs). There is a rookery a few miles
from where I live (east Texas).

MaryL