PDA

View Full Version : Head Count, Please!

jmcquown[_2_]
March 17th 16, 02:35 PM
I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.

It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
really can't keep up!

I'll start. I am owned by Buffy.

She's really an amazing cat. Before I adopted her she was described as
"timid". Indeed, she was being bullied by another cat (Frankie) in her
household. It's no wonder she was always thought of as timid.

In fact, when I went to meet her she was hunkered down on a chair under
the dining room table. The woman who met me at the house (her owner
died) had to lock Frankie in the sunroom. Even then Buffy wouldn't come
out. It took a bowl of gooshy food to entice her to come out (right
into the Sherpa carrier! Gotcha!)

I didn't see a single toy in her old home. No cat trees or anything,
either.

Well, I got her home and she was shy at first. She immediately went
under the bed. I left her alone for the most part, just talked to her
soothingly when I walked in the room. After a few hours I looked under
the bed but she wasn't there.

I found her on a chair under the dining room table. Buffy, you don't
have to hide anymore!

It didn't take her long to realize hey, that other cat isn't here! And
oh look, are these toys?! Yep. :)

It only took her a couple of days to come out of her shell and realize
she has the run of the house.

The only rooms she doesn't seem to be interested in are the kitchen
(perhaps because she has no business being around hot pots and pans so I
don't encourage it; that's also not where she is fed) and the guest
bedroom. I've no idea why she wouldn't like the guest bedroom. There's
a nice comfy bed in there.

Anyway, I am owned by one cat named Buffy.

Please refresh my memory about your furbabies. :)

Jill

Will in New Haven[_2_]
March 17th 16, 02:48 PM
On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 9:35:47 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
> for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.
>
> It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
> really can't keep up!
>
> I'll start. I am owned by Buffy.
>
> She's really an amazing cat. Before I adopted her she was described as
> "timid". Indeed, she was being bullied by another cat (Frankie) in her
> household. It's no wonder she was always thought of as timid.
>
> In fact, when I went to meet her she was hunkered down on a chair under
> the dining room table. The woman who met me at the house (her owner
> died) had to lock Frankie in the sunroom. Even then Buffy wouldn't come
> out. It took a bowl of gooshy food to entice her to come out (right
> into the Sherpa carrier! Gotcha!)
>
> I didn't see a single toy in her old home. No cat trees or anything,
> either.
>
> Well, I got her home and she was shy at first. She immediately went
> under the bed. I left her alone for the most part, just talked to her
> soothingly when I walked in the room. After a few hours I looked under
> the bed but she wasn't there.
>
> I found her on a chair under the dining room table. Buffy, you don't
> have to hide anymore!
>
> It didn't take her long to realize hey, that other cat isn't here! And
> oh look, are these toys?! Yep. :)
>
> It only took her a couple of days to come out of her shell and realize
> she has the run of the house.
>
> The only rooms she doesn't seem to be interested in are the kitchen
> (perhaps because she has no business being around hot pots and pans so I
> don't encourage it; that's also not where she is fed) and the guest
> bedroom. I've no idea why she wouldn't like the guest bedroom. There's
> a nice comfy bed in there.
>
> Anyway, I am owned by one cat named Buffy.
>
> Please refresh my memory about your furbabies. :)

I, we, proudly serve Squeakytoy.

Micki and I once served a much larger community, Maggie May, Wootoo, the gallant Winnie, hissy Missy and the glamorous and beautiful Sunrise. All of them got old and went to the Bridge, as did their loyal dog friend da Bear.

We were left with da Bear's beloved fur-sister Samantha Shi-Tzu but no cat. We adopted a five-year old cat that Micki named Chanel because she is elegant, white plushy short-hair with a blue-grey "beret" on her head. However, she corrected us as to her name the first time she spoke. She is quite vocal and her name is appropriate. She has settled in beautifully over a couple of years. She spends a lot of time with Samantha and even more time with Micki. She can move quietly, as befits a mighty huntress, but often clomps around as if she were a herd of small horses. She is extremely athletic but gets very little exercise, as far as I can see.

--
Will in New Haven

Joy[_3_]
March 17th 16, 06:36 PM
On 3/17/2016 6:48 AM, Will in New Haven wrote:
> On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 9:35:47 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
>> for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.
>>
>> It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
>> really can't keep up!
>>
>> I'll start. I am owned by Buffy.
>>
>> She's really an amazing cat. Before I adopted her she was described as
>> "timid". Indeed, she was being bullied by another cat (Frankie) in her
>> household. It's no wonder she was always thought of as timid.
>>
>> In fact, when I went to meet her she was hunkered down on a chair under
>> the dining room table. The woman who met me at the house (her owner
>> died) had to lock Frankie in the sunroom. Even then Buffy wouldn't come
>> out. It took a bowl of gooshy food to entice her to come out (right
>> into the Sherpa carrier! Gotcha!)
>>
>> I didn't see a single toy in her old home. No cat trees or anything,
>> either.
>>
>> Well, I got her home and she was shy at first. She immediately went
>> under the bed. I left her alone for the most part, just talked to her
>> soothingly when I walked in the room. After a few hours I looked under
>> the bed but she wasn't there.
>>
>> I found her on a chair under the dining room table. Buffy, you don't
>> have to hide anymore!
>>
>> It didn't take her long to realize hey, that other cat isn't here! And
>> oh look, are these toys?! Yep. :)
>>
>> It only took her a couple of days to come out of her shell and realize
>> she has the run of the house.
>>
>> The only rooms she doesn't seem to be interested in are the kitchen
>> (perhaps because she has no business being around hot pots and pans so I
>> don't encourage it; that's also not where she is fed) and the guest
>> bedroom. I've no idea why she wouldn't like the guest bedroom. There's
>> a nice comfy bed in there.
>>
>> Anyway, I am owned by one cat named Buffy.
>>
>> Please refresh my memory about your furbabies. :)
>
> I, we, proudly serve Squeakytoy.
>
> Micki and I once served a much larger community, Maggie May, Wootoo, the gallant Winnie, hissy Missy and the glamorous and beautiful Sunrise. All of them got old and went to the Bridge, as did their loyal dog friend da Bear.
>
> We were left with da Bear's beloved fur-sister Samantha Shi-Tzu but no cat. We adopted a five-year old cat that Micki named Chanel because she is elegant, white plushy short-hair with a blue-grey "beret" on her head. However, she corrected us as to her name the first time she spoke. She is quite vocal and her name is appropriate. She has settled in beautifully over a couple of years. She spends a lot of time with Samantha and even more time with Micki. She can move quietly, as befits a mighty huntress, but often clomps around as if she were a herd of small horses. She is extremely athletic but gets very little exercise, as far as I can see.

I am currently owned by two cats.

Pickles is about seven or eight years old. She was 3 years old when I
originally adopted her, along with her littermate/brother, Waffles, who
went to the bridge a couple of years ago.

Koala is a former feral. I adopted him about a year and a half ago, and
he should be about two years old some time this month. He spent his
first two months here hiding under the bed. He still hides when anybody
else comes around, but he doesn't hide from me any more.

The two have a fairly typical brother-sister relationship. Sometimes
they cuddle together or groom each other. Most of the time they're just
friendly. Occasionally they fight, but not seriously.

Bastette
March 17th 16, 08:56 PM
jmcquown wrote:

> I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
> for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.

> It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
> really can't keep up!

[snip]

> Please refresh my memory about your furbabies. :)

I am owned by a skittish tuxedo boy named Licorice (aka "Licky"). He does
love to be petted and sometimes even cuddled, and will purr his head off,
but he doesn't always feel safe enough to let me get that close. He was
socialized to humans as a kitten, but apparently not quite young enough to
be a total lap fungus.

He's learning how to be an Only Cat, which has its advantages and
disadvantages. Advantage: when he's sleeping in a prime spot, there are
no girlkitties half his size who will come and bap him on the head to
kick him out. Disadvantage: when the human goes to work, he's alone for
hours. I think he gets lonely and/or bored. When I get home, he spends
a lot of time meowing loudly, demanding attention or treats. So I spend
time petting and cuddling him, and I do give him treats. I bought him a
squeaking mouse toy, but <eyeroll> he's afraid of it! So eventually I
will have to get him a kitty. For now I'm just trying to get my bank
balance back to normal!

--
Joyce

Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One day, that all changed. And then, whoever was responsible somehow thought the word 'fluffy' would help." -- Hilarious recipes at: www.candyboots.com

Jack Campin
March 18th 16, 01:16 PM
> I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two.
> It's hard for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.
> It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have
> a clowder I really can't keep up! [...]
> Please refresh my memory about your furbabies. :)

We are staff for three of them:

- Chloe (18 years old, fluffy lilac tortie, very thin and frail
but happy and cuddly)

- Marblecake (10, tabby and white, lazy and tubby)

- Ollie (Marblecake's son, ginger, 8, muscular and energetic).

Ollie and Marblecake have been arguing ever since Ollie got weaned.
I think Marblecake expected him to move out and get a job. Both of
them are happy to snuggle up with Chloe but never with each other.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Art Shapiro
March 19th 16, 05:59 AM
On 3/17/2016 6:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Please refresh my memory about your furbabies. :)

I'm not a frequent contributor here - just sporadic. Anyway I currently
have five owners:

Giovanni: huge tabby, about 9 years old. A despicable creature- pees
all over the house, howls to go outside about 3 AM EVERY night,
disappears for hours. Purrs less than once a year. Seems to like me,
and after a few years finally considers this place his home rather than
his home base.

Niobe: a pretty little Russian Blue, about five years old. A pleasant
and friendly kitty.

Thud: a dark calico about five years old. Terrified of humans, myself
included. Passed from shelter to shelter and finally scheduled to be
put down as unadoptable. Scared of even having food put in front of
her. But she is often very friendly on my bed, loves Giovanni, has an
amazingly loud purr, and is generally very happy. She'll probably never
climb on my lap, but I'm glad to have her.

Wally: a long-haired cream colored cat, about fifteen years old. Took
her for what was supposed to be a couple months from a lady who was
trying to get back on her feet. That was two years ago. Wally hates
the other cats, although she grudgingly puts up with Thud. And she's an
affection junkie to the degree of being irritating. Otherwise, she's an
OK kitty.

Gargantua: appeared at my door last September as a dirty, matted,
flea-covered, starving kitten. A gorgeous kitty with a huge tail,
either a birman or a ragdoll. Extremely hyperactive, knocks stuff off
shelves and counters, and enjoys roughhousing with Thud and Niobe. Not
wildly affectionate, but a pleasant-enough kitty.

Art

dgk
March 20th 16, 03:41 AM
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:35:44 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

The oldest is Nipsy, a big grey longhair who whines almost constantly.
When I first got him I took him to the vet trying to find out what the
problem was, but he just likes to whine. Addicted to Temptations.
I got him from a former co-worker who couldn't keep him. Nipsy is
probably 13 or 14. I'll have to check with the vet. I think he's been
losing weight, so he does need a trip to the vet.

Marlo is a fat little girl, also probably 13. I took her off the
street one freezing February day. She has a small head and very large
eyes, and is white, grey, and brown. I'm trying to figure out how to
get her to eat less because the vet is worried that she'll get
diabetes. Except for her coloring, she looks very much like that cat
clock - the one with the eyes moving left and right with each tick.

Scooter forced his way into the house. I used to have a yard that I
had fenced so my cats couldn't get out, but Scooter kept coming in,
causing havoc with Espy (RB) who was the alpha. I decided that if
Scooter wanted in so badly, he would join the brood with a proper
introduciton. WIth Espy goine, Scooter is the main troublemaker and
personality. He's a tuxedo cat. He's probably 8 or 9.

Baby, aorund 6, is a mostly black cat who was born in a box outside my
old house's front door. She lived on the street with her mom, Jet, and
a few other feral cats. But she was the most friendly of them, and
when I was going to move to Florida, and the other main feeder
(Serene) was moving to a different part of Florida, I took baby into
the house and brought her with me. I'm not sure it wasn't a mistake
because she still spends most of the time under the bed, but she has
been coming out more often lately. It does take a while for some
half-feral cats to get used to being indoors so we'll see how it works
out.

All the cats, except Scooter, are pretty much invisible when visitors
come to the house. Sccoter isn't very adventurous but is willing to
show himself after a tlittle while.

Cheryl[_3_]
March 20th 16, 04:58 AM
On 3/17/2016 9:35 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Please refresh my memory about your furbabies.

Mine are, in order of age as best as I can tell for Bonnie. The rest I know.

Bonnie, solid black former feral around 14 years old
Samurai, or Sammy for short, Maine Coon, latest addition to our home at
9 years old. He's now 11, 12 in April
Rhett and Scarlett, litter mates, turned 11 in Sept 2015

So all seniors at this point.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

Jeus[_5_]
March 29th 16, 09:02 PM
wrote:

>I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
>for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.
>
>It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
>really can't keep up!
>
>I'll start. I am owned by Buffy.
>
>She's really an amazing cat. Before I adopted her she was described as
>"timid". Indeed, she was being bullied by another cat (Frankie) in her
>household. It's no wonder she was always thought of as timid.
>
>In fact, when I went to meet her she was hunkered down on a chair under
>the dining room table. The woman who met me at the house (her owner
>died) had to lock Frankie in the sunroom. Even then Buffy wouldn't come
>out. It took a bowl of gooshy food to entice her to come out (right
>into the Sherpa carrier! Gotcha!)
>
>I didn't see a single toy in her old home. No cat trees or anything,
>either.
>
>Well, I got her home and she was shy at first. She immediately went
>under the bed. I left her alone for the most part, just talked to her
>soothingly when I walked in the room. After a few hours I looked under
>the bed but she wasn't there.
>
>I found her on a chair under the dining room table. Buffy, you don't
>have to hide anymore!
>
>It didn't take her long to realize hey, that other cat isn't here! And
>oh look, are these toys?! Yep. :)
>
>It only took her a couple of days to come out of her shell and realize
>she has the run of the house.
>
>The only rooms she doesn't seem to be interested in are the kitchen
>(perhaps because she has no business being around hot pots and pans so I
>don't encourage it; that's also not where she is fed) and the guest
>bedroom. I've no idea why she wouldn't like the guest bedroom. There's
>a nice comfy bed in there.
>
>Anyway, I am owned by one cat named Buffy.
>
>Please refresh my memory about your furbabies. :)

Here are the two fruleins of the house here (plus Winnie the dawg):
http://www.hostpic.org/images/1603281958590106.jpg
These pics are a couple of years old now.

First we have Annie, she will be 14 this year. I got her at approx. 9
months of age from the RSPCA. Would you believe at the time it took me
more than a month to find a kitten/young cat? None were being
advertised and Annie was in fact the only available cat at the RSPCA.
She was quite timid in many ways, in recent years she has relaxed a
LOT and is far more laid back now than I ever thought she would be.
My guess is she is part Siamese. She is not vocal all the time, but
when she does say something there is no doubt about what she is trying
to communicate. She is quite skilled at communicating, I don't know
where she picked that up from.

Next we have Lucy, the tabby. She will be 7 this year and is the
opposite of Annie in nearly every way. BIG, boisterous and loves to
start trouble when she gets bored :) I have got to get around to
weighing her some day, she's a big girl but not really obese (well,
maybe a little). She can only just fit through the cat flap on the
back door (admittedly it's not the biggest cat flap in the world
though).

Annie and Lucy have a strange relationship at times. Lucy loves to
torment Annie by ambushing her. Physically it's no contest between
Annie and Lucy, Lucy is far bigger and stronger. Despite this Annie is
the boss of the house and always has free reign at the food bowl. Lucy
will always stand back and wait until Annie has had her fill and walks
away.

That's about it for now :)

Bastette
March 29th 16, 10:45 PM
Je?us wrote:

> First we have Annie, she will be 14 this year. I got her at approx. 9
> months of age from the RSPCA.

I didn't know the RSPCA was in Australia. Unless you adopted her in the
UK - are you a British transplant?

> She was quite timid in many ways, in recent years she has relaxed a
> LOT and is far more laid back now than I ever thought she would be.
> My guess is she is part Siamese. She is not vocal all the time, but
> when she does say something there is no doubt about what she is trying
> to communicate. She is quite skilled at communicating, I don't know
> where she picked that up from.

My cat Licky (short for Licorice) is a bit like that. I doubt he's part
Siamese - he's a mostly-black tuxedo. He does have a kink at the end of his
tail, though, which I've heard people say is a sign of having some Siamese
genes. He's also extremely vocal, as in VERY LOUD. And persistent. When
I'm in the kitchen at night, he sits in the "kitty treats" area and begs
for treats - meowing loudly, frequently and for a long time. Did I mention
that I live in an apartment building? After a certain hour, I worry that
he's going to keep the neighbors up. (No complaints as yet!)

He's also pretty skittish and always has been. I don't think he suffered
a trauma, though - I think he was just a feral kitten who was socialized
a little too late to be thorougly acclimated to humans. I've had him for
13 years (since he was 3 months old), and he still runs away when I try to
pet him outside of one of the officially sanctioned "safe petting zones."
He still randomly hisses at me from time to time, although he has never
scratched or bitten me. He's a bit like Tina's Boyfie, in that he doesn't
lash out when scared. He prefers flight over fight.

Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
more needy and more vocal. He might be bored and lonely at home when I'm
at work. He and Roxy weren't cuddle buddies, but they got along OK, and
now he's alone for many hours of the day. So when I get home, I'm
bombarded by loud meowing, and I'm not sure whether he wants food, treats,
or cuddling. Usually he gets cuddling first, and that's when he does the
other thing he can do very loudly: purr. This cat could probably win some
purring contests.

> Annie and Lucy have a strange relationship at times. Lucy loves to
> torment Annie by ambushing her. Physically it's no contest between
> Annie and Lucy, Lucy is far bigger and stronger. Despite this Annie is
> the boss of the house and always has free reign at the food bowl. Lucy
> will always stand back and wait until Annie has had her fill and walks
> away.

Heh, this is kind of how it was between Roxy and Licky. Licky's a strapping
male, and Roxy, especially as she got older and then got sick, was smaller
and smaller. At 6 pounds (approx 2.7 kg) she could still shoo him away from
prime sleeping spots just by glaring at him.

--
Joyce

"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene

Jeus[_5_]
March 31st 16, 10:15 PM
On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:45:57 -0000 (UTC), Bastette
> wrote:

>Je?us wrote:
>
> > First we have Annie, she will be 14 this year. I got her at approx. 9
> > months of age from the RSPCA.
>
>I didn't know the RSPCA was in Australia. Unless you adopted her in the
>UK - are you a British transplant?

No, not a transplant, we have the RSPCA here in Australia.

> > She was quite timid in many ways, in recent years she has relaxed a
> > LOT and is far more laid back now than I ever thought she would be.
> > My guess is she is part Siamese. She is not vocal all the time, but
> > when she does say something there is no doubt about what she is trying
> > to communicate. She is quite skilled at communicating, I don't know
> > where she picked that up from.
>
>My cat Licky (short for Licorice) is a bit like that.

I know another Licorice locally :) He's a nice young lad, now that
he's settled down a bit and stopped ambushing all the other cats (they
have 6, all up).

>I doubt he's part
>Siamese - he's a mostly-black tuxedo. He does have a kink at the end of his
>tail, though, which I've heard people say is a sign of having some Siamese
>genes. He's also extremely vocal, as in VERY LOUD. And persistent. When
>I'm in the kitchen at night, he sits in the "kitty treats" area and begs
>for treats - meowing loudly, frequently and for a long time. Did I mention
>that I live in an apartment building? After a certain hour, I worry that
>he's going to keep the neighbors up. (No complaints as yet!)

LOL, sounds like my Lucy. She gets really loud at times when I'm in
the kitchen :)

>He's also pretty skittish and always has been. I don't think he suffered
>a trauma, though - I think he was just a feral kitten who was socialized
>a little too late to be thorougly acclimated to humans. I've had him for
>13 years (since he was 3 months old), and he still runs away when I try to
>pet him outside of one of the officially sanctioned "safe petting zones."
>He still randomly hisses at me from time to time, although he has never
>scratched or bitten me. He's a bit like Tina's Boyfie, in that he doesn't
>lash out when scared. He prefers flight over fight.

Oddly enough, Lucy is a bit like that. She gets spooked easily
occasionally, strange really because she's quite a large, boisterous
and confident cat otherwise. I got her very young and she hasn't had
any reason to be nervous about anything.

One time I'll never forget. I was sleeping on my back and Lucy
snuggled into me as usual... I think I must have snored a bit because
I was suddenly awoken from a deep sleep with four sets of claws
embedded in my chest as she launched herself to get as far away as
possible. Ouch...

>Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
>more needy and more vocal. He might be bored and lonely at home when I'm
>at work. He and Roxy weren't cuddle buddies, but they got along OK, and
>now he's alone for many hours of the day. So when I get home, I'm
>bombarded by loud meowing, and I'm not sure whether he wants food, treats,
>or cuddling.

Sorry to hear that, he must be lonely.

>Usually he gets cuddling first, and that's when he does the
>other thing he can do very loudly: purr. This cat could probably win some
>purring contests.

So could Lucy. She has a very loud purr, and purrs often.

> > Annie and Lucy have a strange relationship at times. Lucy loves to
> > torment Annie by ambushing her. Physically it's no contest between
> > Annie and Lucy, Lucy is far bigger and stronger. Despite this Annie is
> > the boss of the house and always has free reign at the food bowl. Lucy
> > will always stand back and wait until Annie has had her fill and walks
> > away.
>
>Heh, this is kind of how it was between Roxy and Licky. Licky's a strapping
>male, and Roxy, especially as she got older and then got sick, was smaller
>and smaller. At 6 pounds (approx 2.7 kg) she could still shoo him away from
>prime sleeping spots just by glaring at him.

:)

dgk
April 1st 16, 07:55 PM
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 22:41:10 -0400, dgk > wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:35:44 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:
>

>The oldest is Nipsy, a big grey longhair who whines almost constantly.
>When I first got him I took him to the vet trying to find out what the
>problem was, but he just likes to whine. Addicted to Temptations.
>I got him from a former co-worker who couldn't keep him. Nipsy is
>probably 13 or 14. I'll have to check with the vet. I think he's been
>losing weight, so he does need a trip to the vet.

Just had Nipsy at the vet. He lost a pound (15 down to 14) over the
last year. They took some blood and we'll get the results later today
or tomorrow but it doesn't look bad. He is 14 1/2 years old so he is
starting to get a bit grey around the head. Of course, he was grey to
start with so it's hard to tell. He's getting old.

Lesley Madigan
April 4th 16, 12:37 PM
On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 1:35:47 PM UTC, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
> for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.

We have Bonnie (Bonamassa) who will be 5 next month, she's a rather large (Not fat but stocky) black and white Tuxedo DSH- she's very genteel and refined lady who likes Dreamies (I think they're called Temptations in the US), getting under people's feet and napping, which she is doing right now three feet away from me, right in the middle of my bedroom doorway!

And Spirit who will be 2 in August- she's a tiny, brown and white tuxedo with a fairly fluffy coat. She's FIV+ and we've had a few visits to the vet after a flea allergy caused her to groom herself nearly bald and raw in patches. Then for quite a few months Bonnie seemed to be bullying her a bit and that led to more overgrooming. We were starting to think seriously that she'd be better in a home where she was the only cat then one day she was asleep in the bedroom (She'd find a place and stay there until she found another place) and Bonnie who was having zoomies got too near her and she hissed. Bonnie seemed to take the message that Spirit had had enough and they are now often found sleeping together and washing each other and Spirit is now getting her fur back really quickly. She loves FOOD! And getting stroked she has a very loud purr motor. Her personality is best described as she's a bit of a Barbie doll- she thinks being so very fluffy, so tiny and oh so cute will get her through life then again it has so far

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

MaryL[_2_]
April 4th 16, 03:07 PM
On 4/1/2016 1:55 PM, dgk wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 22:41:10 -0400, dgk > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:35:44 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>> The oldest is Nipsy, a big grey longhair who whines almost constantly.
>> When I first got him I took him to the vet trying to find out what the
>> problem was, but he just likes to whine. Addicted to Temptations.
>> I got him from a former co-worker who couldn't keep him. Nipsy is
>> probably 13 or 14. I'll have to check with the vet. I think he's been
>> losing weight, so he does need a trip to the vet.

> Just had Nipsy at the vet. He lost a pound (15 down to 14) over the
> last year. They took some blood and we'll get the results later today
> or tomorrow but it doesn't look bad. He is 14 1/2 years old so he is
> starting to get a bit grey around the head. Of course, he was grey to
> start with so it's hard to tell. He's getting old.

Did Nipsy have a T4 tests (for hyperthyroidism), along with his other
blood work? You listed three of the most common symptoms--weight loss
(although that is common at that age), old age, and whining/crying
frequently. Those are the characteristics that led me to request a T4
test for Duffy, and the test confirmed hyperthyroidism even though the
vet could not feel a lump in the thyroid. Duffy has a very good vet,
but this is one case where I had to request the test myself.

MaryL

Cheryl[_3_]
April 10th 16, 01:51 AM
On 3/29/2016 5:45 PM, Bastette wrote:

> Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
> more needy and more vocal.

I must have missed about Roxy. I'm sorry for your loss.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

Cheryl[_3_]
April 10th 16, 02:45 AM
On 4/4/2016 7:37 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:

> And Spirit who will be 2 in August- she's a tiny, brown and white
> tuxedo with a fairly fluffy coat. She's FIV+ and we've had a few
> visits to the vet after a flea allergy caused her to groom herself
> nearly bald and raw in patches. Then for quite a few months Bonnie
> seemed to be bullying her a bit and that led to more overgrooming. We
> were starting to think seriously that she'd be better in a home where
> she was the only cat then one day she was asleep in the bedroom
> (She'd find a place and stay there until she found another place) and
> Bonnie who was having zoomies got too near her and she hissed.
> Bonnie seemed to take the message that Spirit had had enough and they
> are now often found sleeping together and washing each other and
> Spirit is now getting her fur back really quickly.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear about Spirit's issues but I'm glad she stood her
ground and seems to be getting along better. I went through that with
Shamrock, and while he used to be the bully cat, once he got sick he was
the one being bullied by everyone. He actually outgrew his skin
allergies! He never had to have another depo shot after around 2013 or so.

Best to them both!
--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl

April 10th 16, 06:03 AM
On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 5:35:47 AM UTC-8, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I know some of us have, sadly, lost a beloved furbaby or two. It's hard
> for me to keep up with who is owned by whom.
>
> It's easy enough to remember just one cat but when you have a clowder I
> really can't keep up!
>
> I'll start. I am owned by Buffy.
>
> She's really an amazing cat. Before I adopted her she was described as
> "timid". Indeed, she was being bullied by another cat (Frankie) in her
> household. It's no wonder she was always thought of as timid.
>
> In fact, when I went to meet her she was hunkered down on a chair under
> the dining room table. The woman who met me at the house (her owner
> died) had to lock Frankie in the sunroom. Even then Buffy wouldn't come
> out. It took a bowl of gooshy food to entice her to come out (right
> into the Sherpa carrier! Gotcha!)
>
> I didn't see a single toy in her old home. No cat trees or anything,
> either.
>
> Well, I got her home and she was shy at first. She immediately went
> under the bed. I left her alone for the most part, just talked to her
> soothingly when I walked in the room. After a few hours I looked under
> the bed but she wasn't there.
>
> I found her on a chair under the dining room table. Buffy, you don't
> have to hide anymore!
>
> It didn't take her long to realize hey, that other cat isn't here! And
> oh look, are these toys?! Yep. :)
>
> It only took her a couple of days to come out of her shell and realize
> she has the run of the house.
>
> The only rooms she doesn't seem to be interested in are the kitchen
> (perhaps because she has no business being around hot pots and pans so I
> don't encourage it; that's also not where she is fed) and the guest
> bedroom. I've no idea why she wouldn't like the guest bedroom. There's
> a nice comfy bed in there.
>
> Anyway, I am owned by one cat named Buffy.
>
> Please refresh my memory about your furbabies. :)
>
> Jill

Sylvia here. I've been ill for the last month, mainly pneumonia, but feeling well enough to come on line now and then, especially now.

Pit2nya is an only cat, by her choice. Her mother was rescued shortly before giving birth to a litter 13 years ago. I believe three survived. Pit2nya still visits her rescue-home, including her mother when we travel, less often recently.

She is a friendly cat, will approach visitors for petting. In the past year, she visits me in bed for a short cuddle and petting, then will either jump down, or lay at the end of the blanket ... but ready to play toe-mice!

Sylvia M

dgk
April 11th 16, 03:30 AM
On Mon, 4 Apr 2016 09:07:30 -0500, MaryL >
wrote:

>On 4/1/2016 1:55 PM, dgk wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 22:41:10 -0400, dgk > wrote:
>>
>>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 09:35:44 -0400, jmcquown >
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>> The oldest is Nipsy, a big grey longhair who whines almost constantly.
>>> When I first got him I took him to the vet trying to find out what the
>>> problem was, but he just likes to whine. Addicted to Temptations.
>>> I got him from a former co-worker who couldn't keep him. Nipsy is
>>> probably 13 or 14. I'll have to check with the vet. I think he's been
>>> losing weight, so he does need a trip to the vet.

>> Just had Nipsy at the vet. He lost a pound (15 down to 14) over the
>> last year. They took some blood and we'll get the results later today
>> or tomorrow but it doesn't look bad. He is 14 1/2 years old so he is
>> starting to get a bit grey around the head. Of course, he was grey to
>> start with so it's hard to tell. He's getting old.
>>
>Did Nipsy have a T4 tests (for hyperthyroidism), along with his other
>blood work? You listed three of the most common symptoms--weight loss
>(although that is common at that age), old age, and whining/crying
>frequently. Those are the characteristics that led me to request a T4
>test for Duffy, and the test confirmed hyperthyroidism even though the
>vet could not feel a lump in the thyroid. Duffy has a very good vet,
>but this is one case where I had to request the test myself.
>
>MaryL

Good point; I did ask about the thyroid in particular but I'll check
witich thyroid tests were done. But the whining really is a case of
the Boy Who Cried Wolf. He always whines so it's tough to know if
anythng speical is happening.

Alll of the tests that were done came back normal.

Bastette
April 14th 16, 10:30 PM
Cheryl wrote:

> On 3/29/2016 5:45 PM, Bastette wrote:

>> Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
>> more needy and more vocal.

> I must have missed about Roxy. I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you! It's been 2 months now. I miss her a lot - she was definitely a
heart cat - but at the same time, I'm thankful that she lived 18 good years
and that I got to share it with her. She was a sweet, affectionate, cuddly
little girl who would hang out with me whenever I was seated or lying down.
I miss my little computer-time companion.

She went into acute kidney failure, possibly as a result of the Prednisolone
we were giving her for other symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite
and weight loss). The vet wasn't sure was causing them, but the two main
suspects were cancer and irritable bowel syndrome, both of which could be
helped by a steroid. And she did get better on the steroid, which made us
think we were on the right track. But then she suddenly tanked and was
found to have serious kidney damage, which she didn't recover from. :(

I'm trying not to focus too much on the possibility that we hastened her
death - it's possible she had the renal failure all along and that was what
was causing her symptoms after all. If that was the case, then it suddenly
got a lot worse, but that happens with CRF. The problem didn't show up in
her bloodwork until she was in a dire condition. I pulled out the stops -
had her on IV fluids for 2 days, and then brought her home to see if the
treatment would turn out to be effective. That whole time I was worried she
would suddenly go into an agonizing process of dying. She didn't, but the
treatment didn't help either, so I brought her back for the last time.
After she got the shot of sedative and went to sleep, I felt so relieved
that she was going to die peacefully.

--
Joyce

- Mommy loves you too my sweaty litter baby fire
- Ummm what mom?
- MY SWEET LITTLE BABY GIRL!! sorry honey!
-- damnyouautocorrect.com

Cheryl[_3_]
April 15th 16, 02:41 AM
On 4/14/2016 5:30 PM, Bastette wrote:
> Cheryl wrote:
>
> > On 3/29/2016 5:45 PM, Bastette wrote:
>
> >> Since my other cat went to the bridge (about 6 weeks ago), he's been
> >> more needy and more vocal.
>
> > I must have missed about Roxy. I'm sorry for your loss.
>
> Thank you! It's been 2 months now. I miss her a lot - she was definitely a
> heart cat - but at the same time, I'm thankful that she lived 18 good years
> and that I got to share it with her. She was a sweet, affectionate, cuddly
> little girl who would hang out with me whenever I was seated or lying down.
> I miss my little computer-time companion.
>
> She went into acute kidney failure, possibly as a result of the Prednisolone
> we were giving her for other symptoms (vomiting, diarrhea, lack of appetite
> and weight loss). The vet wasn't sure was causing them, but the two main
> suspects were cancer and irritable bowel syndrome, both of which could be
> helped by a steroid. And she did get better on the steroid, which made us
> think we were on the right track. But then she suddenly tanked and was
> found to have serious kidney damage, which she didn't recover from. :(
>
> I'm trying not to focus too much on the possibility that we hastened her
> death - it's possible she had the renal failure all along and that was what
> was causing her symptoms after all. If that was the case, then it suddenly
> got a lot worse, but that happens with CRF. The problem didn't show up in
> her bloodwork until she was in a dire condition. I pulled out the stops -
> had her on IV fluids for 2 days, and then brought her home to see if the
> treatment would turn out to be effective. That whole time I was worried she
> would suddenly go into an agonizing process of dying. She didn't, but the
> treatment didn't help either, so I brought her back for the last time.
> After she got the shot of sedative and went to sleep, I felt so relieved
> that she was going to die peacefully.

You can never second guess treatment that makes them live a more
comfortable life in the NOW would hurt LATER. Cats live in the NOW.
Shamrock also had regular steroid shots for his skin problem and I'll
never second guess that it caused a shorter life. He was very loved as
was Roxy.

--
Cheryl

cshenk
April 24th 16, 05:58 PM
Daisy-chan still going strong, she's a rescue feral age probably 16 now.

Carol