PDA

View Full Version : another story supporting microchiping

Matt Ferrari[_3_]
April 18th 16, 11:46 PM
happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=EY9A2DhRmy0

dgk
April 20th 16, 03:11 AM
On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 17:46:13 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
> wrote:

>happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=EY9A2DhRmy0

But the sad part is that she was turned in by a family that could no
longer afford to care for her and must have also been heartbroken.

jmcquown[_2_]
April 20th 16, 02:07 PM
On 4/19/2016 10:11 PM, dgk wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 17:46:13 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
> > wrote:
>
>> happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=EY9A2DhRmy0
>>

> But the sad part is that she was turned in by a family that could no
> longer afford to care for her and must have also been heartbroken.

That is sad. What puzzles me is in all that time the cat never went to
the vet? When Persia (RB), who was a stray, came to live with me and I
took her to the vet the first thing they did was scan her for a microchip.

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
April 22nd 16, 04:07 PM
On 4/20/2016 8:07 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/19/2016 10:11 PM, dgk wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 17:46:13 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> happy endings for a cat missing for 7 years
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=111&v=EY9A2DhRmy0
>>>

>> But the sad part is that she was turned in by a family that could no
>> longer afford to care for her and must have also been heartbroken.
>>
> That is sad. What puzzles me is in all that time the cat never went to
> the vet? When Persia (RB), who was a stray, came to live with me and I
> took her to the vet the first thing they did was scan her for a microchip.
>
> Jill

It's possible her "new" family took her to a vet but did not report that
she had been a lost/stray cat. Vets do not normally check for
microchips if they think the cat had been with the family for some time.

MaryL

dgk
April 24th 16, 03:03 AM
On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:07:57 -0500, MaryL
> wrote:

>On 4/20/2016 8:07 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 4/19/2016 10:11 PM, dgk wrote:
>>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 17:46:13 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"

>>> But the sad part is that she was turned in by a family that could no
>>> longer afford to care for her and must have also been heartbroken.
>>>
>> That is sad. What puzzles me is in all that time the cat never went to
>> the vet? When Persia (RB), who was a stray, came to live with me and I
>> took her to the vet the first thing they did was scan her for a microchip.
>>
>> Jill
>
>It's possible her "new" family took her to a vet but did not report that
>she had been a lost/stray cat. Vets do not normally check for
>microchips if they think the cat had been with the family for some time.
>
>MaryL

My old vet never scanned any of my cats, and the new one in Florida
didn't either.

MaryL[_2_]
April 24th 16, 01:38 PM
On 4/23/2016 9:03 PM, dgk wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:07:57 -0500, MaryL
> > wrote:

>>> That is sad. What puzzles me is in all that time the cat never went to
>>> the vet? When Persia (RB), who was a stray, came to live with me and I
>>> took her to the vet the first thing they did was scan her for a microchip.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> It's possible her "new" family took her to a vet but did not report that
>> she had been a lost/stray cat. Vets do not normally check for
>> microchips if they think the cat had been with the family for some time.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> My old vet never scanned any of my cats, and the new one in Florida
> didn't either.

My cats also have not been scanned, but my vet knows exactly how I
received each of them. I don't think it is routine to scan every cat;
they are scanned when a stray is brought in or when there is some
question of ownership. Microchipping has saved many cats and dogs in
those circumstances. The benefits of microchipping was questionable
years ago because there were several different companies that
manufactured the chips, and they were not compatible. The result was
that vets might scan and still miss a chip because the devices they used
would not pick up all chips. That was the situation when I adopted
Holly(RB), so my vet did not recommend chipping her. Fortunately, that
is no longer a problem. In fact, chipping is now considered so
important that the rescue group where I found Selina and Nikki
microchips every cat before they release them for adoption.

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_]
April 24th 16, 02:08 PM
On 4/24/2016 8:38 AM, MaryL wrote:
> On 4/23/2016 9:03 PM, dgk wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:07:57 -0500, MaryL
>> > wrote:

>>> It's possible her "new" family took her to a vet but did not report that
>>> she had been a lost/stray cat. Vets do not normally check for
>>> microchips if they think the cat had been with the family for some time.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>
>> My old vet never scanned any of my cats, and the new one in Florida
>> didn't either.
>>
> My cats also have not been scanned, but my vet knows exactly how I
> received each of them. I don't think it is routine to scan every cat;
> they are scanned when a stray is brought in or when there is some
> question of ownership. Microchipping has saved many cats and dogs in
> those circumstances. The benefits of microchipping was questionable
> years ago because there were several different companies that
> manufactured the chips, and they were not compatible. The result was
> that vets might scan and still miss a chip because the devices they used
> would not pick up all chips. That was the situation when I adopted
> Holly(RB), so my vet did not recommend chipping her. Fortunately, that
> is no longer a problem. In fact, chipping is now considered so
> important that the rescue group where I found Selina and Nikki
> microchips every cat before they release them for adoption.
>
> MaryL

The Beaufort County Animal Shelter includes microchipping in the
adoption fee.

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
April 24th 16, 03:06 PM
On 4/24/2016 8:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/24/2016 8:38 AM, MaryL wrote:
>> On 4/23/2016 9:03 PM, dgk wrote:
>>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2016 10:07:57 -0500, MaryL

>>> My old vet never scanned any of my cats, and the new one in Florida
>>> didn't either.
>>>
>> My cats also have not been scanned, but my vet knows exactly how I
>> received each of them. I don't think it is routine to scan every cat;
>> they are scanned when a stray is brought in or when there is some
>> question of ownership. Microchipping has saved many cats and dogs in
>> those circumstances. The benefits of microchipping was questionable
>> years ago because there were several different companies that
>> manufactured the chips, and they were not compatible. The result was
>> that vets might scan and still miss a chip because the devices they used
>> would not pick up all chips. That was the situation when I adopted
>> Holly(RB), so my vet did not recommend chipping her. Fortunately, that
>> is no longer a problem. In fact, chipping is now considered so
>> important that the rescue group where I found Selina and Nikki
>> microchips every cat before they release them for adoption.
>>
>> MaryL
>>
> The Beaufort County Animal Shelter includes microchipping in the
> adoption fee.
>
> Jill

Yes, that practice is what I was trying explain in the last sentence of
my message. All of the animal shelters and rescue groups in this area
now include microchipping in the adoption fee (and those fees do not
even begin to cover the actual cost that these organizations spend in
their efforts to care for and find homes for our four-legged friends).

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_]
April 24th 16, 04:29 PM
On 4/24/2016 10:06 AM, MaryL wrote:
> On 4/24/2016 8:08 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>>
>>> My cats also have not been scanned, but my vet knows exactly how I
>>> received each of them. I don't think it is routine to scan every cat;
>>> they are scanned when a stray is brought in or when there is some
>>> question of ownership. Microchipping has saved many cats and dogs in
>>> those circumstances. The benefits of microchipping was questionable
>>> years ago because there were several different companies that
>>> manufactured the chips, and they were not compatible. The result was
>>> that vets might scan and still miss a chip because the devices they used
>>> would not pick up all chips. That was the situation when I adopted
>>> Holly(RB), so my vet did not recommend chipping her. Fortunately, that
>>> is no longer a problem. In fact, chipping is now considered so
>>> important that the rescue group where I found Selina and Nikki
>>> microchips every cat before they release them for adoption.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>>
>> The Beaufort County Animal Shelter includes microchipping in the
>> adoption fee.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Yes, that practice is what I was trying explain in the last sentence of
> my message. All of the animal shelters and rescue groups in this area
> now include microchipping in the adoption fee (and those fees do not
> even begin to cover the actual cost that these organizations spend in
> their efforts to care for and find homes for our four-legged friends).
>
> MaryL

I understood and was confirming what you said. :) The adoption fees at
The Cat House (Beaufort county built a separate location just for cats)
are very reasonable. Only $25 and that includes spay/neuter, a
microchip and (legally required) shots. Those services are not cheap.
Bless the people who provide them at a low cost. Their only goal is to
find homes for these pets.

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
April 24th 16, 06:42 PM
On 4/24/2016 10:29 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> The Beaufort County Animal Shelter includes microchipping in the
>>> adoption fee.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> Yes, that practice is what I was trying explain in the last sentence of
>> my message. All of the animal shelters and rescue groups in this area
>> now include microchipping in the adoption fee (and those fees do not
>> even begin to cover the actual cost that these organizations spend in
>> their efforts to care for and find homes for our four-legged friends).
>>
>> MaryL
>>
> I understood and was confirming what you said. :) The adoption fees at
> The Cat House (Beaufort county built a separate location just for cats)
> are very reasonable. Only $25 and that includes spay/neuter, a
> microchip and (legally required) shots. Those services are not cheap.
> Bless the people who provide them at a low cost. Their only goal is to
> find homes for these pets.
>
> Jill

That really is remarkably inexpensive. Our local shelters and rescue
organizations charge $75.00 for one cat or $125.00 for two cats Even
that is very reasonable and does not nearly cover the actual cost of
their services. When I adopted Duffy, he was only $25.00 because he had
been previously adopted and "paid" for neutering. I have often told
people that his $25.00 was the best investment I ever made. He was not
microchipped because that was not routine at the time he came into my
life. Wonderful little guy!!!

MaryL

Takayuki
April 29th 16, 04:04 AM
On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 07:38:48 -0500, MaryL >
wrote:
>My cats also have not been scanned, but my vet knows exactly how I
>received each of them. I don't think it is routine to scan every cat;
>they are scanned when a stray is brought in or when there is some
>question of ownership. Microchipping has saved many cats and dogs in
>those circumstances. The benefits of microchipping was questionable
>years ago because there were several different companies that
>manufactured the chips, and they were not compatible. The result was
>that vets might scan and still miss a chip because the devices they used
>would not pick up all chips. That was the situation when I adopted
>Holly(RB), so my vet did not recommend chipping her. Fortunately, that
>is no longer a problem. In fact, chipping is now considered so
>important that the rescue group where I found Selina and Nikki
>microchips every cat before they release them for adoption.

I think there was that little blip about 10 years ago when Banfield tried
introducing ISO frequency chips, but fortunately, that was short lived.

Dot and Buster have HomeAgain chips. I don't think that Spicey is chipped
though, come to think of it. Maybe I should get her done.

Spicey was so funny yesterday when she was dashing around a little outside
for the first time, when I let her briefly follow us outside when I was
taking Dot out on her walking jacket.

Bastette
April 29th 16, 07:38 PM
Takayuki wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 07:38:48 -0500, MaryL >
> wrote:
>>My cats also have not been scanned, but my vet knows exactly how I
>>received each of them. I don't think it is routine to scan every cat;
>>they are scanned when a stray is brought in or when there is some
>>question of ownership. Microchipping has saved many cats and dogs in
>>those circumstances. The benefits of microchipping was questionable
>>years ago because there were several different companies that
>>manufactured the chips, and they were not compatible. The result was
>>that vets might scan and still miss a chip because the devices they used
>>would not pick up all chips. That was the situation when I adopted
>>Holly(RB), so my vet did not recommend chipping her. Fortunately, that
>>is no longer a problem. In fact, chipping is now considered so
>>important that the rescue group where I found Selina and Nikki
>>microchips every cat before they release them for adoption.

> I think there was that little blip about 10 years ago when Banfield tried
> introducing ISO frequency chips, but fortunately, that was short lived.

Hopefully Microsoft won't try to get in on the act, or they will build
theirs to be totally incompatible with all readers currently out there (so
you have to buy their readers) and then they'll take over the industry.

--
Joyce

Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
-- Jan King

Jack Campin
April 29th 16, 09:14 PM
> Hopefully Microsoft won't try to get in on the act, or they will
> build theirs to be totally incompatible with all readers currently
> out there (so you have to buy their readers) and then they'll take
> over the industry.

....and every so often your cat will turn blue and won't move
or meow until you press the pink button at the back.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

jmcquown[_2_]
April 30th 16, 12:01 AM
On 4/29/2016 4:14 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
>> Hopefully Microsoft won't try to get in on the act, or they will
>> build theirs to be totally incompatible with all readers currently
>> out there (so you have to buy their readers) and then they'll take
>> over the industry.
>
> ...and every so often your cat will turn blue and won't move
> or meow until you press the pink button at the back.

LOL!

Jill

Takayuki
April 30th 16, 02:17 PM
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:33:49 +0100, Judith Latham
> wrote:

>In article >, Takayuki
> wrote:
>> Spicey was so funny yesterday when she was dashing around a little
>> outside for the first time, when I let her briefly follow us outside
>> when I was taking Dot out on her walking jacket.
>
>She must be amazed how her life has changed since she came to live with
>you. She has changed so much. She was really lucky to have you to look
>after her even though she hasn't always shown it. :)

It's nice having a less tame cat than the others, because the contrast is
so educational. But in the end she couldn't resist her own feline social
instincts, and she's accepted me as her family. She's becoming a bit of a
part-time lap cat.

jmcquown[_2_]
April 30th 16, 02:25 PM
On 4/30/2016 9:17 AM, Takayuki wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 13:33:49 +0100, Judith Latham
> > wrote:
>
>> In article >, Takayuki
>> > wrote:
>>> Spicey was so funny yesterday when she was dashing around a little
>>> outside for the first time, when I let her briefly follow us outside
>>> when I was taking Dot out on her walking jacket.
>>
>> She must be amazed how her life has changed since she came to live with
>> you. She has changed so much. She was really lucky to have you to look
>> after her even though she hasn't always shown it. :)
>
> It's nice having a less tame cat than the others, because the contrast is
> so educational. But in the end she couldn't resist her own feline social
> instincts, and she's accepted me as her family. She's becoming a bit of a
> part-time lap cat.

That's so nice to read, Tak. :)

Jill