PDA

View Full Version : Feeding Cats Separately

dgk
July 7th 16, 10:01 PM
Before yesterday, I just put out wet food in two bowls in the
bathroom, and had two bowls of dry food out all the time. The four
cats came by at different times, ate, left, came back, ate, etc. That
pretty much worked, particularly for feral Baby who slinks by late at
night or whenever no one is watching.

But Marlo is fat, and requires a senior, easy on the kidney diiet.
Hills wet ID stuff. No dry stuff for at least two weeks because of her
just completed ($1600) dental work.

Nipsy wants to eat at 5 am and starts whining so I've always just
staggered into the bathroom, dropped some wet food into the bowls, and
went back to bed. I can't do that now. So he whines until 7 when I
finally get up, put out 1/4 can of Marlo food, and two bowls of
regular wet. Then I sit there until the other cats walk away from
their food, and wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Luckily Marlo
likes her Marlo food so I'm pretty sure that she'll finish it.

The other cats are starting to understand that things have changed. I
wait until I notice that Baby is in her hiding spot under the bed and
put some food there for her. I leave it for 10 minutes and then take
it away. I give Scooter and Nipsy treats or other food when I can.

Not as easy on me, but we do seem to be adapting to the new eating
situation. I just can never go away I guess because no cat sitter
could do this. It takes an hour to get them all fed. Ugh.

jmcquown[_2_]
July 7th 16, 10:26 PM
On 7/7/2016 5:01 PM, dgk wrote:
> Before yesterday, I just put out wet food in two bowls in the
> bathroom, and had two bowls of dry food out all the time. The four
> cats came by at different times, ate, left, came back, ate, etc. That
> pretty much worked, particularly for feral Baby who slinks by late at
> night or whenever no one is watching.
>
> But Marlo is fat, and requires a senior, easy on the kidney diiet.
> Hills wet ID stuff. No dry stuff for at least two weeks because of her
> just completed ($1600) dental work.
>
> Nipsy wants to eat at 5 am and starts whining so I've always just
> staggered into the bathroom, dropped some wet food into the bowls, and
> went back to bed. I can't do that now. So he whines until 7 when I
> finally get up, put out 1/4 can of Marlo food, and two bowls of
> regular wet. Then I sit there until the other cats walk away from
> their food, and wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Luckily Marlo
> likes her Marlo food so I'm pretty sure that she'll finish it.
>
> The other cats are starting to understand that things have changed. I
> wait until I notice that Baby is in her hiding spot under the bed and
> put some food there for her. I leave it for 10 minutes and then take
> it away. I give Scooter and Nipsy treats or other food when I can.
>
> Not as easy on me, but we do seem to be adapting to the new eating
> situation. I just can never go away I guess because no cat sitter
> could do this. It takes an hour to get them all fed. Ugh.

Patience, grasshopper. :) Actually, I admire anyone who can feed a
bunch of different cats different foods and make sure they all get what
they need. I am sure I could never figure it out.

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
July 8th 16, 11:33 PM
On 7/7/2016 4:01 PM, dgk wrote:
> Before yesterday, I just put out wet food in two bowls in the
> bathroom, and had two bowls of dry food out all the time. The four
> cats came by at different times, ate, left, came back, ate, etc. That
> pretty much worked, particularly for feral Baby who slinks by late at
> night or whenever no one is watching.
>
> But Marlo is fat, and requires a senior, easy on the kidney diiet.
> Hills wet ID stuff. No dry stuff for at least two weeks because of her
> just completed ($1600) dental work.
>
> Nipsy wants to eat at 5 am and starts whining so I've always just
> staggered into the bathroom, dropped some wet food into the bowls, and
> went back to bed. I can't do that now. So he whines until 7 when I
> finally get up, put out 1/4 can of Marlo food, and two bowls of
> regular wet. Then I sit there until the other cats walk away from
> their food, and wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Luckily Marlo
> likes her Marlo food so I'm pretty sure that she'll finish it.
>
> The other cats are starting to understand that things have changed. I
> wait until I notice that Baby is in her hiding spot under the bed and
> put some food there for her. I leave it for 10 minutes and then take
> it away. I give Scooter and Nipsy treats or other food when I can.
>
> Not as easy on me, but we do seem to be adapting to the new eating
> situation. I just can never go away I guess because no cat sitter
> could do this. It takes an hour to get them all fed. Ugh.

I also need to do some separate feeding. I have 3 cats. Two of them
(Selina and Nikki) are young and healthy. Duffy is between 17 and 18
years old. He has a very good appetite, but was losing weight. I give
him medication twice a day for his hypothyroidism, and I am trying to
help him gain weight. My method has been to lift him onto the kitchen
counter twice a day, mix his medication into a small amount of food and
sit beside the counter while I watch him eat. I also add some extra
food to supplement his regular diet (canned food). After he finishes
that, I lift him down to the floor and portion out all of their food
into 3 bowls. The other 2 cats have been waiting eagerly, and Duffy
joins them to eat their regular meals. As I said, he has a good
appetite despite losing weight. I clean the kitchen counter at that
time because I had Duffy sitting on it. This has been working fairly
well. I have a lot of back pain if I stand for more than a few minutes,
so I keep a chair in the position where I want to sit while Duffy is
eating. Duffy easily jumps onto chairs and other objects, so it's
possible that I don't really need to lift him down. I do it because I'm
not sure if he is aware of the height to jump from since I lift him onto
the counter to give him his medication and extra food.

MaryL

Joy[_3_]
July 8th 16, 11:59 PM
On 7/8/2016 3:33 PM, MaryL wrote:
> On 7/7/2016 4:01 PM, dgk wrote:
>> Before yesterday, I just put out wet food in two bowls in the
>> bathroom, and had two bowls of dry food out all the time. The four
>> cats came by at different times, ate, left, came back, ate, etc. That
>> pretty much worked, particularly for feral Baby who slinks by late at
>> night or whenever no one is watching.
>>
>> But Marlo is fat, and requires a senior, easy on the kidney diiet.
>> Hills wet ID stuff. No dry stuff for at least two weeks because of her
>> just completed ($1600) dental work.
>>
>> Nipsy wants to eat at 5 am and starts whining so I've always just
>> staggered into the bathroom, dropped some wet food into the bowls, and
>> went back to bed. I can't do that now. So he whines until 7 when I
>> finally get up, put out 1/4 can of Marlo food, and two bowls of
>> regular wet. Then I sit there until the other cats walk away from
>> their food, and wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Luckily Marlo
>> likes her Marlo food so I'm pretty sure that she'll finish it.
>>
>> The other cats are starting to understand that things have changed. I
>> wait until I notice that Baby is in her hiding spot under the bed and
>> put some food there for her. I leave it for 10 minutes and then take
>> it away. I give Scooter and Nipsy treats or other food when I can.
>>
>> Not as easy on me, but we do seem to be adapting to the new eating
>> situation. I just can never go away I guess because no cat sitter
>> could do this. It takes an hour to get them all fed. Ugh.
>>
> I also need to do some separate feeding. I have 3 cats. Two of them
> (Selina and Nikki) are young and healthy. Duffy is between 17 and 18
> years old. He has a very good appetite, but was losing weight. I give
> him medication twice a day for his hypothyroidism, and I am trying to
> help him gain weight. My method has been to lift him onto the kitchen
> counter twice a day, mix his medication into a small amount of food and
> sit beside the counter while I watch him eat. I also add some extra
> food to supplement his regular diet (canned food). After he finishes
> that, I lift him down to the floor and portion out all of their food
> into 3 bowls. The other 2 cats have been waiting eagerly, and Duffy
> joins them to eat their regular meals. As I said, he has a good
> appetite despite losing weight. I clean the kitchen counter at that
> time because I had Duffy sitting on it. This has been working fairly
> well. I have a lot of back pain if I stand for more than a few minutes,
> so I keep a chair in the position where I want to sit while Duffy is
> eating. Duffy easily jumps onto chairs and other objects, so it's
> possible that I don't really need to lift him down. I do it because I'm
> not sure if he is aware of the height to jump from since I lift him onto
> the counter to give him his medication and extra food.
>
> MaryL

A few years ago my daughter and her husband had two cats that needed to
be fed separately. The male was a grazer, eating only a little at a
time from the dry food that was left out for them. The female was a
gobbler, and would eat all she could, whenever she could. She was
getting fat, and he was getting thin.

Finally they took a cardboard box, turned it upside down and cut a hole
just large enough for the male to get through. They'd put his food in
there. That worked for a long time. Actually, it worked very well,
because the female began losing weight. Eventually she lost enough that
she could get into the box too, so they stopped using it.

Joy

dgk
July 9th 16, 02:46 AM
On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 15:59:00 -0700, Joy >
wrote:

>A few years ago my daughter and her husband had two cats that needed to
>be fed separately. The male was a grazer, eating only a little at a
>time from the dry food that was left out for them. The female was a
>gobbler, and would eat all she could, whenever she could. She was
>getting fat, and he was getting thin.
>
>Finally they took a cardboard box, turned it upside down and cut a hole
>just large enough for the male to get through. They'd put his food in
>there. That worked for a long time. Actually, it worked very well,
>because the female began losing weight. Eventually she lost enough that
>she could get into the box too, so they stopped using it.
>
>Joy

I thought about something that would limit Marlo like a small opening
in a box, particularly because she's currently wearing that big cone
(to stop her overgrooming), but that will hopefully come off soon.

..Of course, there is always the expensive hi-tech approach:

http://meowspace.biz/product/microchip-id-system/

jmcquown[_2_]
July 9th 16, 02:57 AM
On 7/8/2016 9:46 PM, dgk wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 15:59:00 -0700, Joy >
> wrote:
>

>> A few years ago my daughter and her husband had two cats that needed to
>> be fed separately. The male was a grazer, eating only a little at a
>> time from the dry food that was left out for them. The female was a
>> gobbler, and would eat all she could, whenever she could. She was
>> getting fat, and he was getting thin.
>>
>> Finally they took a cardboard box, turned it upside down and cut a hole
>> just large enough for the male to get through. They'd put his food in
>> there. That worked for a long time. Actually, it worked very well,
>> because the female began losing weight. Eventually she lost enough that
>> she could get into the box too, so they stopped using it.
>>
>> Joy
>
> I thought about something that would limit Marlo like a small opening
> in a box, particularly because she's currently wearing that big cone
> (to stop her overgrooming), but that will hopefully come off soon.
>
> .Of course, there is always the expensive hi-tech approach:
>
> http://meowspace.biz/product/microchip-id-system/

Sure, why not? After all, you just spent $1500-1600 on boarding and the
dental. ;)

I truly wish you luck. I used to cat sit for two cats and they were
supposed to eat different food but I doubt they ever did. I followed
the instructions my neighobor wrote down but there was no way for me to
keep them from eating each other's food.

Jill <---ownly ever owned by one cat at a time

Je▀us[_6_]
July 9th 16, 07:37 AM
On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 17:01:08 -0400, dgk > wrote:

>Before yesterday, I just put out wet food in two bowls in the
>bathroom, and had two bowls of dry food out all the time. The four
>cats came by at different times, ate, left, came back, ate, etc. That
>pretty much worked, particularly for feral Baby who slinks by late at
>night or whenever no one is watching.
>
>But Marlo is fat, and requires a senior, easy on the kidney diiet.
>Hills wet ID stuff. No dry stuff for at least two weeks because of her
>just completed ($1600) dental work.
>
>Nipsy wants to eat at 5 am and starts whining so I've always just
>staggered into the bathroom, dropped some wet food into the bowls, and
>went back to bed. I can't do that now. So he whines until 7 when I
>finally get up, put out 1/4 can of Marlo food, and two bowls of
>regular wet. Then I sit there until the other cats walk away from
>their food, and wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Luckily Marlo
>likes her Marlo food so I'm pretty sure that she'll finish it.
>
>The other cats are starting to understand that things have changed. I
>wait until I notice that Baby is in her hiding spot under the bed and
>put some food there for her. I leave it for 10 minutes and then take
>it away. I give Scooter and Nipsy treats or other food when I can.
>
>Not as easy on me, but we do seem to be adapting to the new eating
>situation. I just can never go away I guess because no cat sitter
>could do this. It takes an hour to get them all fed. Ugh.

Sheesh. I admire your dedication! I'm fortunate that my two girls
require no special diets. I use to have separate bowls for them but I
eventually tired of that and changed to a single bowl. That has worked
out quite well.

One surprise with this change was Lucy, my tabby. She won't go near
the bowl if Annie is feeding, and will even back away from the bowl if
Annie approaches it. Annie is about 14 y/o, small and demure. Doesn't
like confrontations of any sort. Lucy is 6 y/o tabby and a very large
cat, with the exact opposite personality. Lucy *loves* to ambush and
torment Annie. Actually, she'll ambush humans too sometimes :) So it's
something of a paradox why Lucy will always back away from the food if
Annie shows any interest in it. Strange dynamics there.

Joy[_3_]
July 9th 16, 07:45 AM
On 7/8/2016 11:37 PM, Je´┐Żus wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 17:01:08 -0400, dgk > wrote:
>
>> Before yesterday, I just put out wet food in two bowls in the
>> bathroom, and had two bowls of dry food out all the time. The four
>> cats came by at different times, ate, left, came back, ate, etc. That
>> pretty much worked, particularly for feral Baby who slinks by late at
>> night or whenever no one is watching.
>>
>> But Marlo is fat, and requires a senior, easy on the kidney diiet.
>> Hills wet ID stuff. No dry stuff for at least two weeks because of her
>> just completed ($1600) dental work.
>>
>> Nipsy wants to eat at 5 am and starts whining so I've always just
>> staggered into the bathroom, dropped some wet food into the bowls, and
>> went back to bed. I can't do that now. So he whines until 7 when I
>> finally get up, put out 1/4 can of Marlo food, and two bowls of
>> regular wet. Then I sit there until the other cats walk away from
>> their food, and wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Luckily Marlo
>> likes her Marlo food so I'm pretty sure that she'll finish it.
>>
>> The other cats are starting to understand that things have changed. I
>> wait until I notice that Baby is in her hiding spot under the bed and
>> put some food there for her. I leave it for 10 minutes and then take
>> it away. I give Scooter and Nipsy treats or other food when I can.
>>
>> Not as easy on me, but we do seem to be adapting to the new eating
>> situation. I just can never go away I guess because no cat sitter
>> could do this. It takes an hour to get them all fed. Ugh.
>
> Sheesh. I admire your dedication! I'm fortunate that my two girls
> require no special diets. I use to have separate bowls for them but I
> eventually tired of that and changed to a single bowl. That has worked
> out quite well.
>
> One surprise with this change was Lucy, my tabby. She won't go near
> the bowl if Annie is feeding, and will even back away from the bowl if
> Annie approaches it. Annie is about 14 y/o, small and demure. Doesn't
> like confrontations of any sort. Lucy is 6 y/o tabby and a very large
> cat, with the exact opposite personality. Lucy *loves* to ambush and
> torment Annie. Actually, she'll ambush humans too sometimes :) So it's
> something of a paradox why Lucy will always back away from the food if
> Annie shows any interest in it. Strange dynamics there.

I've noticed similar things with some of the cats I've had in the past.
The one that generally rules the roost will back off and let the other
one eat. It's strange, but I think it's part of their plot to keep us
confused.

Je▀us[_6_]
July 9th 16, 09:57 PM
On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 23:45:50 -0700, Joy >
wrote:

>On 7/8/2016 11:37 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 17:01:08 -0400, dgk > wrote:
>>
>>> Before yesterday, I just put out wet food in two bowls in the
>>> bathroom, and had two bowls of dry food out all the time. The four
>>> cats came by at different times, ate, left, came back, ate, etc. That
>>> pretty much worked, particularly for feral Baby who slinks by late at
>>> night or whenever no one is watching.
>>>
>>> But Marlo is fat, and requires a senior, easy on the kidney diiet.
>>> Hills wet ID stuff. No dry stuff for at least two weeks because of her
>>> just completed ($1600) dental work.
>>>
>>> Nipsy wants to eat at 5 am and starts whining so I've always just
>>> staggered into the bathroom, dropped some wet food into the bowls, and
>>> went back to bed. I can't do that now. So he whines until 7 when I
>>> finally get up, put out 1/4 can of Marlo food, and two bowls of
>>> regular wet. Then I sit there until the other cats walk away from
>>> their food, and wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Luckily Marlo
>>> likes her Marlo food so I'm pretty sure that she'll finish it.
>>>
>>> The other cats are starting to understand that things have changed. I
>>> wait until I notice that Baby is in her hiding spot under the bed and
>>> put some food there for her. I leave it for 10 minutes and then take
>>> it away. I give Scooter and Nipsy treats or other food when I can.
>>>
>>> Not as easy on me, but we do seem to be adapting to the new eating
>>> situation. I just can never go away I guess because no cat sitter
>>> could do this. It takes an hour to get them all fed. Ugh.
>>
>> Sheesh. I admire your dedication! I'm fortunate that my two girls
>> require no special diets. I use to have separate bowls for them but I
>> eventually tired of that and changed to a single bowl. That has worked
>> out quite well.
>>
>> One surprise with this change was Lucy, my tabby. She won't go near
>> the bowl if Annie is feeding, and will even back away from the bowl if
>> Annie approaches it. Annie is about 14 y/o, small and demure. Doesn't
>> like confrontations of any sort. Lucy is 6 y/o tabby and a very large
>> cat, with the exact opposite personality. Lucy *loves* to ambush and
>> torment Annie. Actually, she'll ambush humans too sometimes :) So it's
>> something of a paradox why Lucy will always back away from the food if
>> Annie shows any interest in it. Strange dynamics there.
>>

>I've noticed similar things with some of the cats I've had in the past.
>The one that generally rules the roost will back off and let the other
>one eat. It's strange, but I think it's part of their plot to keep us
>confused.

LOL. Yes, they're highly skilled at perplexing us :)

JJ[_2_]
July 10th 16, 02:19 AM
On 7/9/2016 4:57 PM, Je´┐Żus wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 23:45:50 -0700, Joy >
> wrote:

>>> Sheesh. I admire your dedication! I'm fortunate that my two girls
>>> require no special diets. I use to have separate bowls for them but I
>>> eventually tired of that and changed to a single bowl. That has worked
>>> out quite well.
>>>
>>> One surprise with this change was Lucy, my tabby. She won't go near
>>> the bowl if Annie is feeding, and will even back away from the bowl if
>>> Annie approaches it. Annie is about 14 y/o, small and demure. Doesn't
>>> like confrontations of any sort. Lucy is 6 y/o tabby and a very large
>>> cat, with the exact opposite personality. Lucy *loves* to ambush and
>>> torment Annie. Actually, she'll ambush humans too sometimes :) So it's
>>> something of a paradox why Lucy will always back away from the food if
>>> Annie shows any interest in it. Strange dynamics there.
>>>

>> I've noticed similar things with some of the cats I've had in the past.
>> The one that generally rules the roost will back off and let the other
>> one eat. It's strange, but I think it's part of their plot to keep us
>> confused.
>
> LOL. Yes, they're highly skilled at perplexing us :)

I've also noticed it in my two cats. The bigger and stronger brother
always defers to his smaller sister if she wants to eat. But I've always
attributed it to his good manners. :-)

Jay

MaryL[_2_]
July 10th 16, 05:27 AM
On 7/9/2016 8:19 PM, JJ wrote:
> On 7/9/2016 4:57 PM, Je´┐Żus wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 23:45:50 -0700, Joy >
>> wrote:

>>> I've noticed similar things with some of the cats I've had in the past.
>>> The one that generally rules the roost will back off and let the other
>>> one eat. It's strange, but I think it's part of their plot to keep us
>>> confused.
>>
>> LOL. Yes, they're highly skilled at perplexing us :)
>
> I've also noticed it in my two cats. The bigger and stronger brother
> always defers to his smaller sister if she wants to eat. But I've always
> attributed it to his good manners. :-)
>
> Jay

Similarly, I notice that Duffy (blind) always starts eating, followed by
Nikki. Selina is the fluffiest, and she will take the third bowl, which
often means that she will back away and take the bowl that is farthest away.

MaryL

Je▀us[_6_]
July 10th 16, 09:35 PM
On Sat, 9 Jul 2016 21:19:14 -0400, JJ > wrote:

>On 7/9/2016 4:57 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 23:45:50 -0700, Joy >
>> wrote:

>>> I've noticed similar things with some of the cats I've had in the past.
>>> The one that generally rules the roost will back off and let the other
>>> one eat. It's strange, but I think it's part of their plot to keep us
>>> confused.
>>
>> LOL. Yes, they're highly skilled at perplexing us :)
>
>I've also noticed it in my two cats. The bigger and stronger brother
>always defers to his smaller sister if she wants to eat. But I've always
>attributed it to his good manners. :-)

Maybe it is just that, good manners and respect for their elders
learnt very early on? Lucy did enter our family as a kitten, Annie was
already about 7 years old.

Bastette
July 14th 16, 09:37 PM
Joy wrote:

> On 7/8/2016 11:37 PM, Je?us wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 17:01:08 -0400, dgk > wrote:
>>
>>> Before yesterday, I just put out wet food in two bowls in the
>>> bathroom, and had two bowls of dry food out all the time. The four
>>> cats came by at different times, ate, left, came back, ate, etc. That
>>> pretty much worked, particularly for feral Baby who slinks by late at
>>> night or whenever no one is watching.
>>>
>>> But Marlo is fat, and requires a senior, easy on the kidney diiet.
>>> Hills wet ID stuff. No dry stuff for at least two weeks because of her
>>> just completed ($1600) dental work.
>>>
>>> Nipsy wants to eat at 5 am and starts whining so I've always just
>>> staggered into the bathroom, dropped some wet food into the bowls, and
>>> went back to bed. I can't do that now. So he whines until 7 when I
>>> finally get up, put out 1/4 can of Marlo food, and two bowls of
>>> regular wet. Then I sit there until the other cats walk away from
>>> their food, and wrap it up and put it in the fridge. Luckily Marlo
>>> likes her Marlo food so I'm pretty sure that she'll finish it.
>>>
>>> The other cats are starting to understand that things have changed. I
>>> wait until I notice that Baby is in her hiding spot under the bed and
>>> put some food there for her. I leave it for 10 minutes and then take
>>> it away. I give Scooter and Nipsy treats or other food when I can.
>>>
>>> Not as easy on me, but we do seem to be adapting to the new eating
>>> situation. I just can never go away I guess because no cat sitter
>>> could do this. It takes an hour to get them all fed. Ugh.
>>
>> Sheesh. I admire your dedication! I'm fortunate that my two girls
>> require no special diets. I use to have separate bowls for them but I
>> eventually tired of that and changed to a single bowl. That has worked
>> out quite well.
>>
>> One surprise with this change was Lucy, my tabby. She won't go near
>> the bowl if Annie is feeding, and will even back away from the bowl if
>> Annie approaches it. Annie is about 14 y/o, small and demure. Doesn't
>> like confrontations of any sort. Lucy is 6 y/o tabby and a very large
>> cat, with the exact opposite personality. Lucy *loves* to ambush and
>> torment Annie. Actually, she'll ambush humans too sometimes :) So it's
>> something of a paradox why Lucy will always back away from the food if
>> Annie shows any interest in it. Strange dynamics there.
>>

> I've noticed similar things with some of the cats I've had in the past.
> The one that generally rules the roost will back off and let the other
> one eat. It's strange, but I think it's part of their plot to keep us
> confused.

That was definitely the case with Roxy (RB) and Licky. Roxy, who was
much smaller than Licky, was nonetheless the boss. If Licky was sleeping
in a choice spot, Roxy would come along and bap him on the head, and he'd
run off. After a while, all she had to do was come up to him and stare
at him.

But when it came to food, Licky was the boss. Maybe Roxy was letting
the "kitten" have the first bite? (I don't even know if cats do that.
Lions don't! The poor cubs have to wait until the adults have scarfed
down most of the food.)

--
Joyce

Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker