PDA

View Full Version : A Birthday Gift

jmcquown[_2_]
July 23rd 16, 10:06 PM
My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)

https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg

Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
artwork.

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
July 24th 16, 04:04 AM
On 7/23/2016 4:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)
>
> https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg
>
> Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
> artwork.
>
> Jill

The scan is clear enough to see that the painting will be a treasured
piece of artwork. I like it! And congratulations (a few days early)
for your birthday.

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_]
July 24th 16, 04:50 AM
On 7/23/2016 11:04 PM, MaryL wrote:
> On 7/23/2016 4:06 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)
>>
>> https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg
>>
>> Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
>> artwork.
>>
>> Jill
>
> The scan is clear enough to see that the painting will be a treasured
> piece of artwork. I like it! And congratulations (a few days early)
> for your birthday.
>
> MaryL

Thanks! I was not expecting it. He managed to capture the rather
surprised look she always has when I snap a photo. Yep, that's Buffy.
:) He sent a nice card along with it, too.

Thanks for the birthday wishes, Mary. :)

Jill

Matt Ferrari[_3_]
July 26th 16, 10:20 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)
>
> https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg
>
> Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
> artwork.
>
> Jill

aww, thats a nice gift :)

jmcquown[_2_]
July 27th 16, 12:31 AM
On 7/26/2016 8:16 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
> In article >,
> jmcquown > wrote:
>> My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)
>
>> https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg
>
>> Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
>> artwork.
>
>> Jill
>
> Happy Birthday and it's a lovely picture. They've got her expression
> beautifully.
>
> Judith

Thanks! He did a really nice job with it. And yes, he captured that
somewhat startled look on her face perfectly. :)

Jill

Takayuki
July 28th 16, 04:34 AM
On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 17:06:22 -0400, jmcquown > wrote:
>My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)
>
>https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg
>
>Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
>artwork.

Wonderful! Is that pastels, or oil?

jmcquown[_2_]
July 31st 16, 01:56 AM
On 7/27/2016 11:34 PM, Takayuki wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 17:06:22 -0400, jmcquown > wrote:
>> My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)
>>
>> https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg
>>
>> Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
>> artwork.
>
> Wonderful! Is that pastels, or oil?

Both. It started as a coloured pastel/soft pencil sketch. He added
some oil touches to it. He told me worked on it for about three weeks,
trying to get it just right. He's never quite satisfied with his work.
I think it's wonderful. :)

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
July 31st 16, 07:08 AM
On 7/30/2016 7:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/27/2016 11:34 PM, Takayuki wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 17:06:22 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>> My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)
>>>
>>> https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg
>>>
>>> Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
>>> artwork.
>>
>> Wonderful! Is that pastels, or oil?
>>
> Both. It started as a coloured pastel/soft pencil sketch. He added
> some oil touches to it. He told me worked on it for about three weeks,
> trying to get it just right. He's never quite satisfied with his work.
> I think it's wonderful. :)
>
> Jill

Never being satisfied is a sign of a good artist.

MaryL

Bastette
August 1st 16, 10:59 PM
MaryL wrote:

> On 7/30/2016 7:56 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 7/27/2016 11:34 PM, Takayuki wrote:

>>> Wonderful! Is that pastels, or oil?
>>>
>> Both. It started as a coloured pastel/soft pencil sketch. He added
>> some oil touches to it. He told me worked on it for about three weeks,
>> trying to get it just right. He's never quite satisfied with his work.
>> I think it's wonderful. :)
>>
>> Jill

> Never being satisfied is a sign of a good artist.

But an unhappy person, I think!

--
Joyce
--

jmcquown[_2_]
August 2nd 16, 02:59 AM
On 8/1/2016 5:59 PM, Bastette wrote:
> MaryL wrote:

> >> Both. It started as a coloured pastel/soft pencil sketch. He added
> >> some oil touches to it. He told me worked on it for about three weeks,
> >> trying to get it just right. He's never quite satisfied with his work.
> >> I think it's wonderful. :)
> >>
> >> Jill
>
> > Never being satisfied is a sign of a good artist.
>
> But an unhappy person, I think!

I don't understand that comment. My SO is not an unhappy person.

Mary paints. We've seen some of her wonderful work here (Duffy sitting
on top of one!). She completely understood what I meant. John is
always touching up or making changes to his paintings. Not being
"satisfied" doesn't mean he's unhappy at all. He's critical of his own
work and tries to improve on it. Funny, I thought you would understand
that's what we meant.

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
August 2nd 16, 04:28 AM
On 8/1/2016 8:59 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 8/1/2016 5:59 PM, Bastette wrote:
>> MaryL wrote:

>> (July 26th)

>> piece of

>> weeks,
>> work.

>> > Never being satisfied is a sign of a good artist.
>>
>> But an unhappy person, I think!
>>
> I don't understand that comment. My SO is not an unhappy person.
>
> Mary paints. We've seen some of her wonderful work here (Duffy sitting
> on top of one!). She completely understood what I meant. John is
> always touching up or making changes to his paintings. Not being
> "satisfied" doesn't mean he's unhappy at all. He's critical of his own
> work and tries to improve on it. Funny, I thought you would understand
> that's what we meant.
>
> Jill

Yes, that's exactly what I meant. I am definitely not an unhappy
person, but I always find room for improvement in my paintings. The
same thing is true of my writing.

MaryL

Bastette
August 2nd 16, 09:29 PM
jmcquown wrote:

> On 8/1/2016 5:59 PM, Bastette wrote:

>>> Never being satisfied is a sign of a good artist.

>> But an unhappy person, I think!

> I don't understand that comment. My SO is not an unhappy person.

> Mary paints. We've seen some of her wonderful work here (Duffy sitting
> on top of one!). She completely understood what I meant. John is
> always touching up or making changes to his paintings. Not being
> "satisfied" doesn't mean he's unhappy at all. He's critical of his own
> work and tries to improve on it. Funny, I thought you would understand
> that's what we meant.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean anything disparaging toward your SO or to Mary.

I'm a perpetually unsatisfied person, and one of my main goals in life is
to learn how to be content with who I am, and with what I have. I'm not
always successful at that, but one way that I have succeeded is in being
kinder to myself, as well as appreciating what I do, because I *know when
I'm finished with my work*. By "work," I mean various artistic activities
such as singing, songwriting, jewelry-making, and other hobbies, as well
as my paid work. I've managed to get to the point in whatever I've created,
where I can say, "This is good enough." Does that make me a less than good
artist? I hope not. It does make me a happier person, though, and that's
something I would never want to give up.

Anyway, my comment was a philosophical one, about the way that being
continually unsatisfied with one's work (or one's life, or oneself)
deprives a person of joy. If that doesn't apply to your SO (or to Mary!)
then it's not directed at them.

--
Joyce

I want freedom, the right to self expression, everyone's right to
beautiful radiant things. -- Emma Goldman

Matt Ferrari[_3_]
August 7th 16, 01:57 AM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)
>
> https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg
>
> Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
> artwork.
>
> Jill

Sometimes birds give gifts too...

http://lemons.rf.gd/cats/presentfromBIRDS.jpg

dgk
August 7th 16, 04:03 AM
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 19:57:51 -0500, "Matt Ferrari"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> My SO sent me this lovely drawing of Buffy for my birthday. (July 26th)
>>
>> https://s32.postimg.org/jh8xddypx/buffy_painting.jpg
>>
>> Sorry it's not terribly clear, it's difficult to scan a framed piece of
>> artwork.
>>
>> Jill
>

>Sometimes birds give gifts too...
>

>http://lemons.rf.gd/cats/presentfromBIRDS.jpg

That's funny, but I remember reading a few years back that bells on
collars don't actually save any bird lives. Apparently the birds don't
know that the ringing of the bell indicates danger so all the bell
does is annoy the cat and the cat's slaves.