PDA

View Full Version : Marlo gets (temporarily) rehomed

dgk
August 17th 16, 04:33 AM
I was due to take Marlo to the vet for a progress report on Monday and
I was trying to figure out how to deal with going away next week.
Marlo needs to wear her Elizasoft Collar and can't eat with the other
cats so I've been leaving her in the spare bedroom (and sleeping with
her so she isn't totally alone).

I couldn't figure out how a cat sitter could deal with this, and I
started thinking that maybe I would board her again, like I did the
last time I went away. Still, I hate the idea of her being locked in a
cage for a week.

Then I thought of Mom, who lives a few blocks away, I figured that I'd
see how she would feel about having a cat for a few weeks. The vet
thought it was a good idea, so I took Marlo and a litter box and her
special Marlo food and off we went to Mom's. Mom was out playing
Canasta with the girls (average age 85) so I just moved Marlo into her
spare bedroom and left a note on the door suggesting that Mom not open
the door until I came back.

Well, it's the Olympics and I've been spending a fair amount of time
over at Mom's watching, so we had dinner and I opened the door to
Marlo's room and she came out and investigated her vacation Dacha.
When she returned to her room I closed the door and went home. I came
by again this morning, fed her, and let her out of the room again,
this time permanently since she had used the litter box.

That's the story at the moment. I'll visit often over the next few
days as Marlo gets more comfortable, and then head to NY. At least
Marlo will have someone around much of the time and will be away from
Baby, with whom she has some sort of tension. Hopefully she'll stop
the overgrooming issue since she's away from Baby.

I do intend to bring Marlo back home when I get back, but I'm not sure
about that. If Mom really likes her, and Marlo seems happy as an only
cat, maybe we'll keep it this way. Most likely I'll just bring her
home again but I'm keeping an open mind. I don't think Mom wants her
as a long term guest, but maybe they'll hit it off. It would solve a
few problems.

That's the current news.

jmcquown[_2_]
August 17th 16, 11:24 PM
On 8/16/2016 11:33 PM, dgk wrote:
> I was due to take Marlo to the vet for a progress report on Monday and
> I was trying to figure out how to deal with going away next week.
> Marlo needs to wear her Elizasoft Collar and can't eat with the other
> cats so I've been leaving her in the spare bedroom (and sleeping with
> her so she isn't totally alone).
>
> I couldn't figure out how a cat sitter could deal with this, and I
> started thinking that maybe I would board her again, like I did the
> last time I went away. Still, I hate the idea of her being locked in a
> cage for a week.
>
> Then I thought of Mom, who lives a few blocks away, I figured that I'd
> see how she would feel about having a cat for a few weeks. The vet
> thought it was a good idea, so I took Marlo and a litter box and her
> special Marlo food and off we went to Mom's. Mom was out playing
> Canasta with the girls (average age 85) so I just moved Marlo into her
> spare bedroom and left a note on the door suggesting that Mom not open
> the door until I came back.
>
> Well, it's the Olympics and I've been spending a fair amount of time
> over at Mom's watching, so we had dinner and I opened the door to
> Marlo's room and she came out and investigated her vacation Dacha.
> When she returned to her room I closed the door and went home. I came
> by again this morning, fed her, and let her out of the room again,
> this time permanently since she had used the litter box.
>
> That's the story at the moment. I'll visit often over the next few
> days as Marlo gets more comfortable, and then head to NY. At least
> Marlo will have someone around much of the time and will be away from
> Baby, with whom she has some sort of tension. Hopefully she'll stop
> the overgrooming issue since she's away from Baby.
>
> I do intend to bring Marlo back home when I get back, but I'm not sure
> about that. If Mom really likes her, and Marlo seems happy as an only
> cat, maybe we'll keep it this way. Most likely I'll just bring her
> home again but I'm keeping an open mind. I don't think Mom wants her
> as a long term guest, but maybe they'll hit it off. It would solve a
> few problems.
>
> That's the current news.

Thanks for the update. :) It's entirely possible Marlo would be happier
as an only-cat. Perhaps your mom will take a shine to her. That would
definitely solve a few problems and you could still visit. Please keep
us informed. Oh, and enjoy your trip!

Jill

dgk
August 28th 16, 02:37 AM
On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 12:20:58 +0100, Judith Latham

>> I do intend to bring Marlo back home when I get back, but I'm not sure
>> about that. If Mom really likes her, and Marlo seems happy as an only
>> cat, maybe we'll keep it this way. Most likely I'll just bring her
>> home again but I'm keeping an open mind. I don't think Mom wants her
>> as a long term guest, but maybe they'll hit it off. It would solve a
>> few problems.
>
>> That's the current news.
>
>Glad to see all is working out fine so far.
>
>Judith

I'm back from NY and had lots of fun watching the US Open Tennis
Tournament. Well, actually that's just beginning but I watched the
qualifying tournament, which is more fun since I get to watch the
future stars trying to get into the main draw.

Marlo is no longer afraid of Mom, and is even sitting with her all the
time, and Mom thinks that Marlo is really cute and fun to have around.
And pretty. Marlo likes being told that she's pretty, and in fact she
is. She has a little head with big eyes. She also has a pretty big
body but is losing weight on her diet.

Marlo was happy to see me, and she does have a bit of fur on her
abdomen so maybe she's not overgrooming. I'll have t vet take a look
in a week or so. For now, Marlo stays with Mom.

The New Other Guy
August 28th 16, 05:41 AM
On Sat, 27 Aug 2016 21:37:26 -0400, dgk > wrote:

> For now, Marlo stays with Mom.

Sounds like the best thing for all concerned.

MaryL[_2_]
August 28th 16, 03:19 PM
On 8/27/2016 8:37 PM, dgk wrote:

> Marlo is no longer afraid of Mom, and is even sitting with her all the
> time, and Mom thinks that Marlo is really cute and fun to have around.
> And pretty. Marlo likes being told that she's pretty, and in fact she
> is. She has a little head with big eyes. She also has a pretty big
> body but is losing weight on her diet.
>
> Marlo was happy to see me, and she does have a bit of fur on her
> abdomen so maybe she's not overgrooming. I'll have t vet take a look
> in a week or so. For now, Marlo stays with Mom.

This sounds like it would be a good permanent home for Marlo, and also
nice for Mom. Nice result!!

MaryL

dgk
August 31st 16, 05:39 AM
On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 20:39:31 +0100, Judith Latham
> wrote:

> as an only
Everyone seems to think so! I just took Marlo to the vet and she has
to wear the Elizabethean Collar a few more weeks - until the fur grows
back on the abdomen. The vet says that it will itch her until it grows
back, so she needs to collar on even though the real source of the
irritation is at my house (that would be Baby, even though it really
isn't Baby's fault). So she's at Mom's for at least another three
weeks. Then we'll see.

Cheryl[_6_]
August 31st 16, 11:52 AM
On 2016-08-31 2:09 AM, dgk wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 20:39:31 +0100, Judith Latham
> > wrote:
>
>> as an only
> Everyone seems to think so! I just took Marlo to the vet and she has
> to wear the Elizabethean Collar a few more weeks - until the fur grows
> back on the abdomen. The vet says that it will itch her until it grows
> back, so she needs to collar on even though the real source of the
> irritation is at my house (that would be Baby, even though it really
> isn't Baby's fault). So she's at Mom's for at least another three
> weeks. Then we'll see.

When I put a collar on Kerry after her spay, she immediately rid herself
of it. I put it back on, fastening it tighter. That worked briefly, but
when I saw her later in the day, it was gone and that time I didn't find
it again for a couple of months. Eventually, when I was digging out a
large pot I don't use very often, I spotted the collar behind it in the
dark recesses of the cupboard. By that time, she had made an uneventful
recovery and the fur all grew back just fine, but I ended up
substituting obsessive checking of her belly for signs of problems for
the use of a collar.

--
Cheryl

Bastette
September 1st 16, 12:21 AM
Cheryl wrote:

> On 2016-08-31 2:09 AM, dgk wrote:
>> On Sun, 28 Aug 2016 20:39:31 +0100, Judith Latham
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> as an only
>> Everyone seems to think so! I just took Marlo to the vet and she has
>> to wear the Elizabethean Collar a few more weeks - until the fur grows
>> back on the abdomen. The vet says that it will itch her until it grows
>> back, so she needs to collar on even though the real source of the
>> irritation is at my house (that would be Baby, even though it really
>> isn't Baby's fault). So she's at Mom's for at least another three
>> weeks. Then we'll see.
>>
> When I put a collar on Kerry after her spay, she immediately rid herself
> of it. I put it back on, fastening it tighter. That worked briefly, but
> when I saw her later in the day, it was gone and that time I didn't find
> it again for a couple of months. Eventually, when I was digging out a
> large pot I don't use very often, I spotted the collar behind it in the
> dark recesses of the cupboard. By that time, she had made an uneventful
> recovery and the fur all grew back just fine, but I ended up
> substituting obsessive checking of her belly for signs of problems for
> the use of a collar.

What a smart kitty! She hid the collar successfully so you didn't find
it until it was no longer needed. Even the fact that she understood that
she should hide it from you is pretty amazing. Cats in the wild do hide
their kills from other predators, but that doesn't mean they would think
of hiding something from a human that they don't want the human to use on
them. Different motivation.

--
Joyce

No one should try to hit another's bumper. But bumper bumpage is a part of
life. Yawn and get on with it. -- Gene Weingarten

Jack Campin
September 1st 16, 01:35 AM
> What a smart kitty! She hid the collar successfully so you didn't find
> it until it was no longer needed. Even the fact that she understood that
> she should hide it from you is pretty amazing. Cats in the wild do hide
> their kills from other predators, but that doesn't mean they would think
> of hiding something from a human that they don't want the human to use on
> them. Different motivation.

When we were in a top-floor city flat, one of our cats managed to
biff the "don't do that" water spray bottle off the windowsill
so it landed in an inaccessible courtyard.

mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

Will in New Haven[_2_]
September 9th 16, 04:00 PM
On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 8:36:00 PM UTC-4, Jack Campin wrote:
> > What a smart kitty! She hid the collar successfully so you didn't find
> > it until it was no longer needed. Even the fact that she understood that
> > she should hide it from you is pretty amazing. Cats in the wild do hide
> > their kills from other predators, but that doesn't mean they would think
> > of hiding something from a human that they don't want the human to use on
> > them. Different motivation.
>
> When we were in a top-floor city flat, one of our cats managed to
> biff the "don't do that" water spray bottle off the windowsill
> so it landed in an inaccessible courtyard.

When I was learning how to play the harmonica, my cat Feather put it with his little collection of mousie corpses.

--
Will now in Pompano Beach

Bastette
September 9th 16, 07:51 PM
Will in New Haven wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 31, 2016 at 8:36:00 PM UTC-4, Jack Campin wrote:
>> > What a smart kitty! She hid the collar successfully so you didn't find
>> > it until it was no longer needed. Even the fact that she understood that
>> > she should hide it from you is pretty amazing. Cats in the wild do hide
>> > their kills from other predators, but that doesn't mean they would think
>> > of hiding something from a human that they don't want the human to use on
>> > them. Different motivation.
>>
>> When we were in a top-floor city flat, one of our cats managed to
>> biff the "don't do that" water spray bottle off the windowsill
>> so it landed in an inaccessible courtyard.
>>
> When I was learning how to play the harmonica, my cat Feather put it with his little collection of mousie corpses.

I assume he'd killed it first. :)

Now that Roxy is gone, I don't have anyone to give me the glare of death
and then pointedly move from one spot to another further away from me, if
I should dare to start singing in the house. Licky doesn't seem to care
one way or another. The most I might get from him is an alarmed expression,
which consists of dilated pupils and airplane ears. But that's pretty much
his normal expression, so it's hard to tell.

--
Joyce

There is no alternative to being yourself.

jmcquown[_2_]
September 9th 16, 08:08 PM
On 9/9/2016 2:51 PM, Bastette wrote:
> Will in New Haven wrote:

> >> When we were in a top-floor city flat, one of our cats managed to
> >> biff the "don't do that" water spray bottle off the windowsill
> >> so it landed in an inaccessible courtyard.
> >>
> > When I was learning how to play the harmonica, my cat Feather put it with his little collection of mousie corpses.
>
> I assume he'd killed it first. :)
>
> Now that Roxy is gone, I don't have anyone to give me the glare of death
> and then pointedly move from one spot to another further away from me, if
> I should dare to start singing in the house. Licky doesn't seem to care
> one way or another. The most I might get from him is an alarmed expression,
> which consists of dilated pupils and airplane ears. But that's pretty much
> his normal expression, so it's hard to tell.

LOL Buffy does *not* like it when I sing. I've been told I've got a
very nice voice. Buffy simply doesn't understand sometimes I feel like
singing. I get songs stuck in my head. Earworms, ya know? The only
way to get rid of them is either to sing (or listen to) the song. Buffy
does not understand it. She tries to distract me.

Jill

Bastette
September 10th 16, 12:04 AM
jmcquown wrote:

> On 9/9/2016 2:51 PM, Bastette wrote:

>> Will in New Haven wrote:

>>> When I was learning how to play the harmonica, my cat Feather put
>>> it with his little collection of mousie corpses.

>> I assume he'd killed it first. :)
>>
>> Now that Roxy is gone, I don't have anyone to give me the glare of death
>> and then pointedly move from one spot to another further away from me, if
>> I should dare to start singing in the house. Licky doesn't seem to care
>> one way or another. The most I might get from him is an alarmed expression,
>> which consists of dilated pupils and airplane ears. But that's pretty much
>> his normal expression, so it's hard to tell.

> LOL Buffy does *not* like it when I sing. I've been told I've got a
> very nice voice. Buffy simply doesn't understand sometimes I feel like
> singing. I get songs stuck in my head. Earworms, ya know? The only
> way to get rid of them is either to sing (or listen to) the song. Buffy
> does not understand it. She tries to distract me.

It reminds me of this: :)

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/e4/d8/1b/e4d81b6f0573def29cea8a33fcce042a.jpg

--
Joyce

The heck with top and bottom -- I want relationships with strangeness
and charm.