PDA

View Full Version : Clear Sticky Plastic

jmcquown[_2_]
September 1st 16, 02:00 PM
Buffy gives me fits when I try to clip her claws. I don't really
understand it. When I first adopted her she was fine with it. She just
sat in my lap, docile as can be. Clip, clip, clip. Easy peasy. I
thought wow, this is going to be a breeze! Until she turned back into a
cat again and stopped cooperating. It's been a real fight ever since.

I've got the claw marks to prove it:

https://s12.postimg.org/o7zgn85st/ouch.jpg

That was just from her jumping down off my lap. OUCH!

She has two scratching posts, one a verticle post which she completely
ignores. The horizontal one is pretty much cardboard and I think all it
does is *sharpen* her claws.

I mentioned to a neighbor Buffy is really doing a number on the back of
the chairs in my living room. I put some strips of clear packing tape
along the side of the chair where she was ripping up the fabric.

My neighbor led me out to her garage and handed me a large roll of clear
peel-and-stick plastic film. It's a Scotch brand product. Wow! Thank
you! Buffy can now scratch to her heart's content and the fabric won't
be ripped to shreds. :)

I can't say the same thing about me not being ripped to shreds. LOL

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
September 1st 16, 09:48 PM
On 9/1/2016 8:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> Buffy gives me fits when I try to clip her claws. I don't really
> understand it. When I first adopted her she was fine with it. She just
> sat in my lap, docile as can be. Clip, clip, clip. Easy peasy. I
> thought wow, this is going to be a breeze! Until she turned back into a
> cat again and stopped cooperating. It's been a real fight ever since.
>
> I've got the claw marks to prove it:
>
> https://s12.postimg.org/o7zgn85st/ouch.jpg
>
> That was just from her jumping down off my lap. OUCH!
>
> She has two scratching posts, one a verticle post which she completely
> ignores. The horizontal one is pretty much cardboard and I think all it
> does is *sharpen* her claws.
>
> I mentioned to a neighbor Buffy is really doing a number on the back of
> the chairs in my living room. I put some strips of clear packing tape
> along the side of the chair where she was ripping up the fabric.
>
> My neighbor led me out to her garage and handed me a large roll of clear
> peel-and-stick plastic film. It's a Scotch brand product. Wow! Thank
> you! Buffy can now scratch to her heart's content and the fabric won't
> be ripped to shreds. :)
>
> I can't say the same thing about me not being ripped to shreds. LOL
>
> Jill
Ouch! Those scratches look nasty. Holly(RB) would let me do almost
anything *except* trim her claws, so I used to take her to the vet's
office and have one of their techs trim them for me. Now, I have to
take all three cats in for their "pedicures" because my close-up vision
has become so bad that I am afraid I would cut into the quick.
Fortunately, it doesn't cost much to have their claws cut. It's not
like a visit to the vet.

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_]
September 2nd 16, 09:28 PM
On 9/1/2016 4:48 PM, MaryL wrote:
> On 9/1/2016 8:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Buffy gives me fits when I try to clip her claws. I don't really
>> understand it. When I first adopted her she was fine with it. She just
>> sat in my lap, docile as can be. Clip, clip, clip. Easy peasy. I
>> thought wow, this is going to be a breeze! Until she turned back into a
>> cat again and stopped cooperating. It's been a real fight ever since.
>>
>> I've got the claw marks to prove it:
>>
>> https://s12.postimg.org/o7zgn85st/ouch.jpg
>>
>> That was just from her jumping down off my lap. OUCH!
>>
>> She has two scratching posts, one a verticle post which she completely
>> ignores. The horizontal one is pretty much cardboard and I think all it
>> does is *sharpen* her claws.
>>
>> I mentioned to a neighbor Buffy is really doing a number on the back of
>> the chairs in my living room. I put some strips of clear packing tape
>> along the side of the chair where she was ripping up the fabric.
>>
>> My neighbor led me out to her garage and handed me a large roll of clear
>> peel-and-stick plastic film. It's a Scotch brand product. Wow! Thank
>> you! Buffy can now scratch to her heart's content and the fabric won't
>> be ripped to shreds. :)
>>
>> I can't say the same thing about me not being ripped to shreds. LOL
>>
>> Jill
> Ouch! Those scratches look nasty. Holly(RB) would let me do almost
> anything *except* trim her claws, so I used to take her to the vet's
> office and have one of their techs trim them for me. Now, I have to
> take all three cats in for their "pedicures" because my close-up vision
> has become so bad that I am afraid I would cut into the quick.
> Fortunately, it doesn't cost much to have their claws cut. It's not
> like a visit to the vet.
>
> MaryL

I have a hefty supply of band aids and neosporin ointment. :)

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
September 3rd 16, 02:11 AM
On 9/2/2016 3:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/1/2016 4:48 PM, MaryL wrote:
>> On 9/1/2016 8:00 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Buffy gives me fits when I try to clip her claws. I don't really
>>> understand it. When I first adopted her she was fine with it. She just
>>> sat in my lap, docile as can be. Clip, clip, clip. Easy peasy. I
>>> thought wow, this is going to be a breeze! Until she turned back into a
>>> cat again and stopped cooperating. It's been a real fight ever since.
>>>
>>> I've got the claw marks to prove it:
>>>
>>> https://s12.postimg.org/o7zgn85st/ouch.jpg
>>>
>>> That was just from her jumping down off my lap. OUCH!
>>>
>>> She has two scratching posts, one a verticle post which she completely
>>> ignores. The horizontal one is pretty much cardboard and I think all it
>>> does is *sharpen* her claws.
>>>
>>> I mentioned to a neighbor Buffy is really doing a number on the back of
>>> the chairs in my living room. I put some strips of clear packing tape
>>> along the side of the chair where she was ripping up the fabric.
>>>
>>> My neighbor led me out to her garage and handed me a large roll of clear
>>> peel-and-stick plastic film. It's a Scotch brand product. Wow! Thank
>>> you! Buffy can now scratch to her heart's content and the fabric won't
>>> be ripped to shreds. :)
>>>
>>> I can't say the same thing about me not being ripped to shreds. LOL
>>>
>>> Jill
>> Ouch! Those scratches look nasty. Holly(RB) would let me do almost
>> anything *except* trim her claws, so I used to take her to the vet's
>> office and have one of their techs trim them for me. Now, I have to
>> take all three cats in for their "pedicures" because my close-up vision
>> has become so bad that I am afraid I would cut into the quick.
>> Fortunately, it doesn't cost much to have their claws cut. It's not
>> like a visit to the vet.
>>
>> MaryL
>>
> I have a hefty supply of band aids and neosporin ointment. :)
>
> Jill

I'm not concerned about injuring myself. I'm afraid I could injure my
cats by cutting into the quick. I have had vision problems all my life,
but it has become much worse in recent years. I use a Kindle for
reading so I can increase the font, but I might not see the dark quick
in my cats' claws. So, they go tot a professional for clipping.

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_]
September 3rd 16, 07:56 PM
On 9/3/2016 11:05 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
> In article >,
> jmcquown > wrote:
>> Buffy gives me fits when I try to clip her claws. I don't really
>> understand it. When I first adopted her she was fine with it. She just
>> sat in my lap, docile as can be. Clip, clip, clip. Easy peasy. I
>> thought wow, this is going to be a breeze! Until she turned back into a
>> cat again and stopped cooperating. It's been a real fight ever since.
>
>> I've got the claw marks to prove it:
>
>> https://s12.postimg.org/o7zgn85st/ouch.jpg
>
>> That was just from her jumping down off my lap. OUCH!
>
>> She has two scratching posts, one a verticle post which she completely
>> ignores. The horizontal one is pretty much cardboard and I think all it
>> does is *sharpen* her claws.
>
>> I mentioned to a neighbor Buffy is really doing a number on the back of
>> the chairs in my living room. I put some strips of clear packing tape
>> along the side of the chair where she was ripping up the fabric.
>
>> My neighbor led me out to her garage and handed me a large roll of clear
>> peel-and-stick plastic film. It's a Scotch brand product. Wow! Thank
>> you! Buffy can now scratch to her heart's content and the fabric won't
>> be ripped to shreds. :)
>
>> I can't say the same thing about me not being ripped to shreds. LOL
>
>> Jill
>

> She know now that you will still love her if she plays up, so being cat,
> that's what she does. It's like the vets nurses, they nearly all say they
> can't pill their own cats only the ones at work. It's great your neighbour
> had that film and has given it to you. Buffy may even stop scratching your
> chairs, what with her being a cat. :)
>
> Judith

Yes, it's pretty funny how that sticky tape stuff suddenly made her stop
acting like a cat.

Jill

Matt Ferrari[_3_]
September 5th 16, 09:58 AM
">>> along the side of the chair where she was ripping up the fabric.

> Yes, it's pretty funny how that sticky tape stuff suddenly made her stop
> acting like a cat.
>
> Jill

lol

jmcquown[_2_]
September 9th 16, 08:54 PM
On 9/2/2016 9:11 PM, MaryL wrote:
> On 9/2/2016 3:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Ouch! Those scratches look nasty. Holly(RB) would let me do almost
>>> anything *except* trim her claws, so I used to take her to the vet's
>>> office and have one of their techs trim them for me. Now, I have to
>>> take all three cats in for their "pedicures" because my close-up vision
>>> has become so bad that I am afraid I would cut into the quick.
>>> Fortunately, it doesn't cost much to have their claws cut. It's not
>>> like a visit to the vet.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>>
>> I have a hefty supply of band aids and neosporin ointment. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> I'm not concerned about injuring myself. I'm afraid I could injure my
> cats by cutting into the quick. I have had vision problems all my life,
> but it has become much worse in recent years. I use a Kindle for
> reading so I can increase the font, but I might not see the dark quick
> in my cats' claws. So, they go tot a professional for clipping.
>
> MaryL

Mary, I understand what you're saying. If your vision is that poor
don't attempt it.

I've worn glasses since I was 12. However, I can see sufficiently I'm
not concerned about cutting her nails too close to the quick. She
simply won't let me do it without a struggle. *That* is where the
accidental slip into the quick might occur. That's when I give up and
let go. I'm not about to chance that.

The problem with having her claws trimmed at the vet is I'd have to take
her at least once a month. Her claws grow very quickly. Sorry, the
cost of that would add up fast. Buffy probably wouldn't enjoy being
carted off for a regular nail clip, either.

Jill

MaryL[_2_]
September 10th 16, 05:15 AM
On 9/9/2016 2:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/2/2016 9:11 PM, MaryL wrote:

>>> I have a hefty supply of band aids and neosporin ointment. :)
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> I'm not concerned about injuring myself. I'm afraid I could injure my
>> cats by cutting into the quick. I have had vision problems all my life,
>> but it has become much worse in recent years. I use a Kindle for
>> reading so I can increase the font, but I might not see the dark quick
>> in my cats' claws. So, they go tot a professional for clipping.
>>
>> MaryL
>>
> Mary, I understand what you're saying. If your vision is that poor
> don't attempt it.
>
> I've worn glasses since I was 12. However, I can see sufficiently I'm
> not concerned about cutting her nails too close to the quick. She
> simply won't let me do it without a struggle. *That* is where the
> accidental slip into the quick might occur. That's when I give up and
> let go. I'm not about to chance that.
>
> The problem with having her claws trimmed at the vet is I'd have to take
> her at least once a month. Her claws grow very quickly. Sorry, the
> cost of that would add up fast. Buffy probably wouldn't enjoy being
> carted off for a regular nail clip, either.
>
> Jill

Yes, I knew you were not talking about vision, and I was only suggesting
a visit to the vet tech (not the vet) if if becomes impossible for you
to trim Buffy's claws yourself. That is not likely. I have had serious
vision problems all my life, and it has gotten worse in recent years.
The problem is primarily for close-up vision, so the Kindle has been a
life saver for reading.

MaryL