PDA

View Full Version : Iowna checks things out

cshenk
September 25th 16, 02:13 AM
Ginger Canyon - a small, out-of-the-way little canyon in
southern Catifurnia, right in the middle of the area burned by the
Blue Cut fire. Ginger Canyon was just about da only area dat
survived wif no damage, and is now serving as a refuge fur animals
dat were displaced by da fire.

----------

Iowna steps out of the cataporter that has been adapted to voice (and
doggie voice!) and sniffs about. To her right she sniffs cats and
doggies and to her left some really bigger things. She trotts off to
the right, feeling the trail with her toes quite well. Dropping down a
bit, (unaware of a 3,000ft fall to the side but a sort of rocky wall
made it safe) she finds herself in a camp.

A big cat comes up with a gruff voice and tries to intimidate her
(space is limited after all). Iowna catches only the gruff voice,
unaware the cat is twice her size.

'I am sorry, but is this where we were asked to have the Jellicle Ball?
If so, I am here to make initial checks to see what food and gear we
need to bring.'

The big cat looks at the little doggie then sniffs and gets an
accidental noseboop. Iowna's tail starts wagging hard since she thinks
she's been greeted, she happily runs off to the cats and dogs in
waiting, trailed by a hungry bobcat.

Iowna gets almost all the way there but then her toes tell her she is
at a drop off. She can sniff the other cats and doggies just a bit
away. She is at a stream that is not more than 3 feet across (but quite
deep) but she doesnt know it. She pauses then tracks back to her friend
'big cat' and brings them there then wags her tail and whines softly.

As the cats on the other side watch in worry and glee, the big bobcat
helps Iowna on their back, then jumps over the 3ft steep cleft.

--

cshenk
September 25th 16, 10:59 PM
cshenk wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

> Ginger Canyon - a small, out-of-the-way little canyon in
> southern Catifurnia, right in the middle of the area burned by the
> Blue Cut fire. Ginger Canyon was just about da only area dat
> survived wif no damage, and is now serving as a refuge fur animals
> dat were displaced by da fire.
>
> ----------
>
> Iowna steps out of the cataporter that has been adapted to voice (and
> doggie voice!) and sniffs about. To her right she sniffs cats and
> doggies and to her left some really bigger things. She trotts off to
> the right, feeling the trail with her toes quite well. Dropping down
> a bit, (unaware of a 3,000ft fall to the side but a sort of rocky wall
> made it safe) she finds herself in a camp.
>
> A big cat comes up with a gruff voice and tries to intimidate her
> (space is limited after all). Iowna catches only the gruff voice,
> unaware the cat is twice her size.
>
> 'I am sorry, but is this where we were asked to have the Jellicle
> Ball? If so, I am here to make initial checks to see what food and
> gear we need to bring.'
>
> The big cat looks at the little doggie then sniffs and gets an
> accidental noseboop. Iowna's tail starts wagging hard since she
> thinks she's been greeted, she happily runs off to the cats and dogs
> in waiting, trailed by a hungry bobcat.
>
> Iowna gets almost all the way there but then her toes tell her she is
> at a drop off. She can sniff the other cats and doggies just a bit
> away. She is at a stream that is not more than 3 feet across (but
> quite deep) but she doesnt know it. She pauses then tracks back to
> her friend 'big cat' and brings them there then wags her tail and
> whines softly.
>
> As the cats on the other side watch in worry and glee, the big bobcat
> helps Iowna on their back, then jumps over the 3ft steep cleft.

Arriving on the other side, the Bobcat drops to the ground and lets
Iowna off. Now surrounded by doggies and kittahs, the bobcat stays
put. Iowna starts off then notes her buddie isnt with her. She pouts
then pulls out her cell phone and calls for backup.

A few minutes later, Dasiy-chan and Cash show up along with a
Chichiuawa named Pete who lives across the street from them and his two
siamese sisifurs (Me and Li). Pete boops the Bobcat in the nose and
says 'come on! Da parti is further in! Oh anna next time, you help me
jump dat canyon ok?

Iowna meets the leader. Finding the issue is low food, she dumps per
backpack and explains, they will bring all the food they need, plus
LOTS extra for the folks here. Meantime, Cash looks about and is glad
he snagged some extra food. He dumps his backpack with it's emergency
stack of 5 cans of Fancy Feast and 5 of larger dog food types.

--

Samuel Redcat Mahoney
September 28th 16, 02:28 PM
> Iowna meets the leader. Finding the issue is low food, she dumps per
> backpack and explains, they will bring all the food they need, plus
> LOTS extra for the folks here. Meantime, Cash looks about and is glad
> he snagged some extra food. He dumps his backpack with it's emergency
> stack of 5 cans of Fancy Feast and 5 of larger dog food types.

[Sammy 'ports to the canyon and spots Iowna, Daisy-chan, Cash, Pete, and
the Siamese sisfurs and is startled to see that the bobcat is an orange
(ginger) tabby. He figures that must be a good sign, since orange
tabbies MUST be good folks. He approaches the bobcat.]

Hello, Mister Bobcat, sir. Mine name is Sam, and I'z a repurresentative
of FluffyKitz Catering. I hear from Iowna dat youz guys could use some
help wif your food supply. I bringed along a special freight teleporter
dat is linked directly to the FluffyKitz warehouse, so'z we can git
bunches an bunches of fudz here fast.

I see dat dere is a few of youz bobcats, an a couple bears, and a bunch
of bunnies and skwirls an birds an lizzards an snakes. We'z gotz lots of
fudz fur all deze aminals, and I'll be glad to bring a whole bunch of
goodies through. It looks like Iowna an Cash is setting up some tents
fur supplies an stuff, an we'z gotz a nice TED available to help any
aminals dat got hurted.

cshenk
September 29th 16, 12:42 AM
Samuel Redcat Mahoney wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

> > Iowna meets the leader. Finding the issue is low food, she dumps per
> > backpack and explains, they will bring all the food they need, plus
> > LOTS extra for the folks here. Meantime, Cash looks about and is
> > glad he snagged some extra food. He dumps his backpack with it's
> > emergency stack of 5 cans of Fancy Feast and 5 of larger dog food
> > types.
>
> [Sammy 'ports to the canyon and spots Iowna, Daisy-chan, Cash, Pete,
> and the Siamese sisfurs and is startled to see that the bobcat is an
> orange (ginger) tabby. He figures that must be a good sign, since
> orange tabbies MUST be good folks. He approaches the bobcat.]
>
> Hello, Mister Bobcat, sir. Mine name is Sam, and I'z a
> repurresentative of FluffyKitz Catering. I hear from Iowna dat youz
> guys could use some help wif your food supply. I bringed along a
> special freight teleporter dat is linked directly to the FluffyKitz
> warehouse, so'z we can git bunches an bunches of fudz here fast.
>
> I see dat dere is a few of youz bobcats, an a couple bears, and a
> bunch of bunnies and skwirls an birds an lizzards an snakes. We'z
> gotz lots of fudz fur all deze aminals, and I'll be glad to bring a
> whole bunch of goodies through. It looks like Iowna an Cash is
> setting up some tents fur supplies an stuff, an we'z gotz a nice TED
> available to help any aminals dat got hurted.

The BobCat looks up and freezes for a moment. Then jumps up and
nose-boops Samuel Redcat!

He drops back with a blush but they are all hungry. He's not thinking
yet of other than full tummies but knows a few need to have a TED as
well.

Looking over Samuel's list, he adds:

1 bale hay with grain attached
40lbs sweet potatoes

Scratching in the sand and trying to add:

20 cabbages
10 pumpkins

Then counting hard on fingers, 80lbs cat food (the wolves can eat it
but the cat types will go blind without taurine added).

Sitting back, the BobCat hopes it was not too much to ask for. It was a
thin amount for a month so it was minimal for their side. They guess
the other side needs the same?

He looks at it and hopes, then grabs several good diggers. They have
just the right spot to dig a root celler if more arrives. They see one
on the other side just as good and start digging it out too.

Beevers who know how to make covers, come to help.

He sits back and looks hopeful. He's quite thin, having passed much of
his portion of food to kittens and puppies and squirrels and porcupines
and such.

He sees a rather large Beagle park a little one by him and knows it's
Iowa. The bigger one goes to help dig out cool spot for the storage.
He settles down with Iowna and whispers what he sees to her.

--

Sundance and/or Rebecca
September 29th 16, 02:13 AM

Mr. BobCat, yoo kum wif myownself fur a minnit.

[She leads the bobcat through the 'porter to the Fluffykitz warehouse, to the cat food section. She pulls down a big bag of cat food, and they watch as the warehouse automation immediately replaces it on the shelf.]

Dere, see? Da warehowse alwaze replacez whutever we takes. Yoo seem to be a leeder type, so itz impurrtant dat yoo keepz up yurown strenth so yoo kan hewp the utherz. So rite now I wantz yoo to eet yurown fill. We iz not leevin da warehowse until yoo duz.

[The bobcat is reluctant, but he sees that Rebecca means business, so he starts eating. He goes slowly at first, but then takes great mouthfuls. When he is finished, he gives a big burp, and they both laugh.]

Datz betterer. Now juss hold on a minnit wile I takez kare uv sumfing...

[Rebecca pulls up the Fluffykitz app on her catmunicator and gives it instructions to make regular deliveries to the canyon until further notice, starting immediately.]

Dere. Now dere will be delifuriez efurry day uv fudz fur awl da aminalz in da canyon. If yoo needz to chang enneefing -- like how much, or how offin, or whut to send, or whare to put it -- yoo juss kum bak heer to da warehowse an tawk into dis mikrophone an say whut iz needed. Dere iz purrpared fudz like I juss givved yoo, or yoo kan hav meetz or vejiblez or whutever iz best fur efurrywun.

So whut shud we take bak wif ussez rite now?

Rebecca

Samuel Redcat Mahoney
September 29th 16, 01:59 PM
> [Rebecca observes]>
> Mr. BobCat, yoo kum wif myownself fur a minnit.
>
> [She leads the bobcat through the 'porter to the Fluffykitz
> warehouse, to the cat food section. She pulls down a big bag of cat
> food, and they watch as the warehouse automation immediately replaces
> it on the shelf.]

> Dere, see? Da warehowse alwaze replacez whutever we takes. Yoo seem
> to be a leeder type, so itz impurrtant dat yoo keepz up yurown
> strenth so yoo kan hewp the utherz. So rite now I wantz yoo to eet
> yurown fill. We iz not leevin da warehowse until yoo duz.

> [The bobcat is reluctant, but he sees that Rebecca means business, so
> he starts eating. He goes slowly at first, but then takes great
> mouthfuls. When he is finished, he gives a big burp, and they both
> laugh.]

> Datz betterer. Now juss hold on a minnit wile I takez kare uv
> sumfing...

> [Rebecca pulls up the Fluffykitz app on her catmunicator and gives it
> instructions to make regular deliveries to the canyon until further
> notice, starting immediately.]

> Dere. Now dere will be delifuriez efurry day uv fudz fur awl da
> aminalz in da canyon. If yoo needz to chang enneefing -- like how
> much, or how offin, or whut to send, or whare to put it -- yoo juss
> kum bak heer to da warehowse an tawk into dis mikrophone an say whut
> iz needed. Dere iz purrpared fudz like I juss givved yoo, or yoo kan
> hav meetz or vejiblez or whutever iz best fur efurrywun.

> So whut shud we take bak wif ussez rite now?

> Rebecca

[Clanking, and rumbling can be heard from deep within the FluffyKitz
warehouse, and is soon followed by a soft roar. The roar approaches,
and soon the source is seen - a bright yellow tractor pulling a string
of carts. Sammy is at the controls of the tractor, and the carts are
piled high with a huge selection of foods - meats, kibble, canned foods,
hay, potatoes, cabbages, pumpkins, pine cones loaded with pine nuts,
canisters of juicy worms - enough types of food to feed a forest full
of wild creatures.]

Here we go, Mister Bobcat, sir. Mebbe dis will be a good start. The
catmunicator dat Rebecca showed you will take care of deliverin'
whatever you'z meow to it. But dis load here ought to get a start at
filling da tummies of all da critters you're purrtecting.

An I belief dat Ranger has 'ported over to da canyon wif an excatvator
to help wif da root cellar.

Sammy

cshenk
September 30th 16, 12:23 AM
Samuel Redcat Mahoney wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

> > Iowna meets the leader. Finding the issue is low food, she dumps per
> > backpack and explains, they will bring all the food they need, plus
> > LOTS extra for the folks here. Meantime, Cash looks about and is
> > glad he snagged some extra food. He dumps his backpack with it's
> > emergency stack of 5 cans of Fancy Feast and 5 of larger dog food
> > types.
>
> [Sammy 'ports to the canyon and spots Iowna, Daisy-chan, Cash, Pete,
> and the Siamese sisfurs and is startled to see that the bobcat is an
> orange (ginger) tabby. He figures that must be a good sign, since
> orange tabbies MUST be good folks. He approaches the bobcat.]
>
> Hello, Mister Bobcat, sir. Mine name is Sam, and I'z a
> repurresentative of FluffyKitz Catering. I hear from Iowna dat youz
> guys could use some help wif your food supply. I bringed along a
> special freight teleporter dat is linked directly to the FluffyKitz
> warehouse, so'z we can git bunches an bunches of fudz here fast.
>
> I see dat dere is a few of youz bobcats, an a couple bears, and a
> bunch of bunnies and skwirls an birds an lizzards an snakes. We'z
> gotz lots of fudz fur all deze aminals, and I'll be glad to bring a
> whole bunch of goodies through. It looks like Iowna an Cash is
> setting up some tents fur supplies an stuff, an we'z gotz a nice TED
> available to help any aminals dat got hurted.

A young filly, not full grown yet, leads her sire who was burned in the
face, to Sammy. There's no help for the lost eye (and the other is
fine) but he thinks the blind one is now infected and he should see a
TED. Carefully perched on his back is an armadillo with 2 burned feet
when she had to run for it. They aren't too bad and will heal in time,
but they hurt to walk on for now. She's soaked them a little in a cool
stream but knows she can't do that too much or the pads will soften and
get infected. One of the other Bobcats comes up and lifts her down
along with her 2 babies, to sit on a pillow they made of spare hair
from the 2 sheep that made it up to safety.

The Sire took the worst damage with loss of an eye due to sparks. The
rest just need food and have recovered, or are well on the way to it.
The TED comes up with a soft voice and examines the Sire. The eye
indeed, needs to come out. He calls for Iowna and situates her so he
can see the enucleated side and explains the procedure. Iowna assures
him it will never hurt again and about 3-4 days later, he will feel a
LOT better. He looks at his little filly, only half a year old, and
nods. He sets up his tent for a horse and has him resting as the
anesthesia takes hold, then checks the Armadillo.

Looking, he sees she's wisely taken care of herself. He pulls out some
natural herbs that provide a little numbness then adds an ice cube. He
has her rub her sore toes in alternation on the ice cube. As it melts,
the herbs numb her paw pads enough to be comfortable. He adds a little
marigold for it's natural antibiotic properties. He shows her how to
cup just what fits in her paw for a single dose over an ice cube. She's
to do this in the morning, once again when the sun sets, and then
sometime in the middle of the night, for the next 4 days. Sam nods,
they have plenty of ice.

Going back into the tent, he takes care of the Sire. It goes well and
he will be up and about in an hour or so. While waiting, he makes up a
fruit jelly concoction to wrap his pain killers in. He's to take them
4 times a day. Sam nods and sets up a timer schedule.

--

cshenk
September 30th 16, 12:37 AM
Sundance and/or Rebecca wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

> [Rebecca observes]
>
> Mr. BobCat, yoo kum wif myownself fur a minnit.
>
> [She leads the bobcat through the 'porter to the Fluffykitz
> warehouse, to the cat food section. She pulls down a big bag of cat
> food, and they watch as the warehouse automation immediately replaces
> it on the shelf.]
>
> Dere, see? Da warehowse alwaze replacez whutever we takes. Yoo seem
> to be a leeder type, so itz impurrtant dat yoo keepz up yurown
> strenth so yoo kan hewp the utherz. So rite now I wantz yoo to eet
> yurown fill. We iz not leevin da warehowse until yoo duz.
>
> [The bobcat is reluctant, but he sees that Rebecca means business, so
> he starts eating. He goes slowly at first, but then takes great
> mouthfuls. When he is finished, he gives a big burp, and they both
> laugh.]
>
> Datz betterer. Now juss hold on a minnit wile I takez kare uv
> sumfing...
>
> [Rebecca pulls up the Fluffykitz app on her catmunicator and gives it
> instructions to make regular deliveries to the canyon until further
> notice, starting immediately.]
>
> Dere. Now dere will be delifuriez efurry day uv fudz fur awl da
> aminalz in da canyon. If yoo needz to chang enneefing -- like how
> much, or how offin, or whut to send, or whare to put it -- yoo juss
> kum bak heer to da warehowse an tawk into dis mikrophone an say whut
> iz needed. Dere iz purrpared fudz like I juss givved yoo, or yoo kan
> hav meetz or vejiblez or whutever iz best fur efurrywun.
>
> So whut shud we take bak wif ussez rite now?
>
> Rebecca

The Bobcat sits astounded! It's the first good meal he's had since the
fire and now he feels almost guilty but he looks about at the largess,
and knows the others will also be fed.

He thinks. He needs earthworms and grubs right away. This area was
too high to have good ones and most of the insects seemed to go
someplace else for a bit. The Armadillo family were trying to eek it
out on burned beetles at the edges that others were digging out for
them.

We need fresh berries and fruits for the raccoons. Nuts and grains for
many of them and hay with the grain seeds still attached. Corn, still
on husk so they can eat it easier.

We've run out of meat unless we eat each other and no one has done
that, but some of us are pretty much not able to make it any longer
without meat. Kibble works though! I need to get some of this
excellent kibble to the wolves really soon. He looks shyly at Rebecca
and says they've been making due on the burned bits of who didnt make
it to safety but they ran out 4 days ago...

--

cshenk
September 30th 16, 12:59 AM
Samuel Redcat Mahoney wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

> > [Rebecca observes]>
> > Mr. BobCat, yoo kum wif myownself fur a minnit.
> >
> > [She leads the bobcat through the 'porter to the Fluffykitz
> > warehouse, to the cat food section. She pulls down a big bag of cat
> > food, and they watch as the warehouse automation immediately
> > replaces it on the shelf.]
>
> > Dere, see? Da warehowse alwaze replacez whutever we takes. Yoo seem
> > to be a leeder type, so itz impurrtant dat yoo keepz up yurown
> > strenth so yoo kan hewp the utherz. So rite now I wantz yoo to eet
> > yurown fill. We iz not leevin da warehowse until yoo duz.
>
> > [The bobcat is reluctant, but he sees that Rebecca means business,
> > so he starts eating. He goes slowly at first, but then takes great
> > mouthfuls. When he is finished, he gives a big burp, and they both
> > laugh.]
>
> > Datz betterer. Now juss hold on a minnit wile I takez kare uv
> > sumfing...
>
> > [Rebecca pulls up the Fluffykitz app on her catmunicator and gives
> > it instructions to make regular deliveries to the canyon until
> > further notice, starting immediately.]
>
> > Dere. Now dere will be delifuriez efurry day uv fudz fur awl da
> > aminalz in da canyon. If yoo needz to chang enneefing -- like how
> > much, or how offin, or whut to send, or whare to put it -- yoo juss
> > kum bak heer to da warehowse an tawk into dis mikrophone an say whut
> > iz needed. Dere iz purrpared fudz like I juss givved yoo, or yoo kan
> > hav meetz or vejiblez or whutever iz best fur efurrywun.
>
> > So whut shud we take bak wif ussez rite now?
>
> > Rebecca
>
> [Clanking, and rumbling can be heard from deep within the FluffyKitz
> warehouse, and is soon followed by a soft roar. The roar approaches,
> and soon the source is seen - a bright yellow tractor pulling a string
> of carts. Sammy is at the controls of the tractor, and the carts are
> piled high with a huge selection of foods - meats, kibble, canned
> foods, hay, potatoes, cabbages, pumpkins, pine cones loaded with pine
> nuts, canisters of juicy worms - enough types of food to feed a
> forest full of wild creatures.]
>
> Here we go, Mister Bobcat, sir. Mebbe dis will be a good start. The
> catmunicator dat Rebecca showed you will take care of deliverin'
> whatever you'z meow to it. But dis load here ought to get a start at
> filling da tummies of all da critters you're purrtecting.
>
> An I belief dat Ranger has 'ported over to da canyon wif an excatvator
> to help wif da root cellar.
>
> Sammy

Mr Bobcat smiles a happy grin. As food starts to flow out to everyone
and they gather to eat, first there is just the sounds of famished
animals sharing their first good meal in a long time, with plenty for
all.

As the various chomping/slurping/nibbling and such sounds subside, they
get curious and start to wonder why these wonderful folks came?

Mr. Bobcat sits quietly and when there is a pace of quiet, asks. 'What
is a Jellicle Ball? Importantly, what can we do to help?'

An elder wolf with a greying muzzle comes up and says he knows just a
little bit. It was something his gradsire heard of from his grandsire.
That just like Sirius watches for them, the cats have one who watches
for them. Once year the cats would gather to sing the praises to the
great Cat, much like wolves in a pack will sporadically sing to Sirius.

The Bobcats eye pop wide open! I know of this but not related to a
ball. Can you others tell us more? She is the big panther queen to
us. Her name is Bast. Is your name for her the same? It is the name
she told us for her back in the depths of time. We sometimes see her
at night and in our dreams.

The rescues, wild and domestic look to the small advance party with
questions in their eyes and happy hopes!

--

Sundance and/or Rebecca
October 1st 16, 06:00 AM

So dat iz why we iz heer. We thinked dis wud be a gud place to hab da Ball becuz dere muss be sumfing speshul heer if it survived wile efurryfing arown it burned.

An now I haz a kweschun: may we hab da ball heer? We duz not want to cawze diffycultiez fur yoo. Whether da ball is heer or not, we will still hewp all uv yurownselvez az we hab startid to do: we will leeb da 'porter an efurryfing, an da Fluffykitz warehowse will still deliver fingz az long az yoo needz, an yoo kan kall on ussez if yoo needz enneefing else.

So whut duz yoo say?

Rebecca

Sundance and/or Rebecca
October 1st 16, 06:16 AM
Raccoons? Rocky! Rocky, iz yoo heer?

[Rebecca's raccoon friend Rocky comes in from outdoors]

Rocky: Yes, Rebec-c-ca, I am here. Is there something I c-c-can do for you? Who is your friend?

Rebecca: Rocky, dis iz wun uv da rezzydintz uv da canyon whare we iz thinkin uv havvin dis yeer's Jellicle Ball. Mr Bobcat, dis iz myown fren Rocky. He hewps luk after da warehowse. Rocky, dere iz raccoonz in da canyon hoo needz owrown hewp. Wud you like to kum meet dem an see how we kan hewp?

Rocky: Through the teleporter? I don't know, I've never been c-c-comfortable with that. Still, if they need help, I will c-c-come.

Rebecca: Gudgud. Letz go.

[They all step through the 'porter into the canyon, Rocky holding onto Rebecca. The bobcat goes to tell the raccoons that one of their own has come to see them, and Rebecca and Rocky look around to see what else they can do.]

cshenk
October 1st 16, 07:42 PM
Sundance and/or Rebecca wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

> Yes, we knowz her az Bast. We aknollidge her at da Jellicle Ball, but
> fur ussez da ball iz mostly abowt rememberin owrown frenz hoo haz
> went to da Rainbow Bridge durin the past yeer. At da beginnin of da
> ball, we reedz all dere namez aloud. After dat, doze hoo wantz to kan
> tell uss abowt whut dey rememfurz abowt da deer departid -- we kall
> doze tribyootz. We also haz lotz an lotz to eet, an a band or
> orkestra so doze hoo wantz to kan danse. Arown midnite, if Bast
> allowz, sumfing furry majikkle happinz -- we luk up in da sky an da
> Rainbow Bridge appeerz! Fur juss a fyoo minnitz we kan see owrown
> frenz dat haz lefted ussez. Fur me, dat iz da bestest part. After
> dat, we reedz da namez agin, an sumtimez noo namez haz bin added
> durin da eevnin. Den da offishul part iz over but efurrywun kan stay
> az long az dey wantz. Offin da ball lasts sefural hoomin dayz, but it
> iz just wun day an nite fur ussez.
>
> So dat iz why we iz heer. We thinked dis wud be a gud place to hab da
> Ball becuz dere muss be sumfing speshul heer if it survived wile
> efurryfing arown it burned.
>
> An now I haz a kweschun: may we hab da ball heer? We duz not want to
> cawze diffycultiez fur yoo. Whether da ball is heer or not, we will
> still hewp all uv yurownselvez az we hab startid to do: we will leeb
> da 'porter an efurryfing, an da Fluffykitz warehowse will still
> deliver fingz az long az yoo needz, an yoo kan kall on ussez if yoo
> needz enneefing else.
>
> So whut duz yoo say?
>
> Rebecca

Mr Bobcat smiles then says he has to check with the elders but he
thinks they will all say yes.

Mr Bobcat is wise. He may be the head of the council, but he knows
they work together because they do indeed work TOGETHER. It's like when
they had one decent grain area, they had to work out how to share it
among all of them. MS Sadie Mouse could have been drowned out if they
hadn't listened. She's the one who said for every 10 grains taken, the
biggest one must be put aside and buried about 1/2 a paw deep for next
year. Also when they found they had lots of nuts that the smaller one
could eat it opened, they figured out a wolf jaw could crack some
types, and Mr Sire could stomp the others open over a flat rock.

He puts the word out to eat first then bring their seniors to him for a
group council.

He waits politely outside as various residents get a good feed on. One
of the squirrels finds a special bonus in an ear of corn. A whole
healthy cornworm! She runs over to the Armadillos with it and they
enjoy a fresh treat for the first time in a long while. One of the
deer finds another that seems to have a soft spot as he was stripping
off the delicious husk so he adds it over to them. Nothing will be
wasted, they are simply working together. The Armadillo family will
nibble just a little corn after getting at the cornworms then pass the
rest back to others who need more corn.

The wolves are happy with a big sturgeon, a salmon (they cracked the
heads open and some wildcats and Bobcats are enjoying the taurine they
need) and sampling some kibble types that they find quite good.

Finally tummies fill for all, and the eldest (or chosen wisest) of each
species meets at a long shard of rock that juts over a mountain. Their
winged friends who already lived here, come down (Eagle, Hawk, Vulture,
Great Horned Owl, Sparrow representing the smaller birds, and a parrot
who managed to get out of a burning home and got to safety here and was
found to be very wise).

Mr. Bobcat explains that their benefactors came to hold a ball,
dedicated to Bast, the patron goddes of all cats, but friendly to all
species. They didn't realize the food shortages and trouble we had
been in, and now are willing to permanently supply us with what we need
and no, we do not have to host their party. He pauses. Thoughts?

They look to one another. The more wild types are afraid to say what
they think for a bit while the ones who have come from domestic stock
just seem relieved.

The Hawk comes forward to the mouse. I can teach my kids to fly far
and not eat the mice here, but I can't teach them to never eat a mouse.
I am sorry. I think the same is true for the meat eaters. Right now,
we need help. I am very thankful for that help. I've been trying to
catch double so the wolves could eat. I know our bigger preditors have
been doing the same with what we can fly back in. In time, I will need
the ground to regrow, or we will need to move. You have made a start
with the regrowing of the grains. Your paws are soft. Maybe others
like me can help dig up earth for the grains?

A stag comes forward. I need tree bark in winter. There are too few
for us here and we will harm the trees though normally we can take no
more than the tree can healthily survive and still fruit the next year.
I want to stay wild but friendly. Can we ask them for tree seedlings
to start replanting the valley? Otherwise, we will damage the trees in
winter that many others need for nuts the following year. I want us
self supporting.

The Bobcat nods.

A beaver comes forward. We had so little meat, we have destocked the
pond I built us all. I have only 4 turning to carrion for the vultures
and it's not really enough for them. While we need fresh fish now, can
we ask for live stock which will let us be self sustaining in a bit
again? I do not want to be a drain on them, but an ever renewing
resource.

2 cats come forward. They look pretty much alike but one is a true
wildcat and the other is a domestic who made it here. My sisfer would
like to know if they know how to be adopted to a new human (a Labrador
dog in the background nods). Not all who made it here, want to be
wild. She cries at night for her lost human and my soul, though wild,
understands it.

Mr. Bobcats nods. Ok, let us see if i have the gist of our desires.

1- We need help and know it and are happy to have it.
(lots of hoots, howls, applaudes)
2- We want to aim for self sustaining like we normally are
(lots of hoots, howls, applaudes)
3- We want to help the ones who were raised by humans, find new homes
if they want
(lots of hoots, howls, applaudes)

Now may only question, is we all have fun with a Jellicle Ball here and
be polite to a bunch of pretty much domestic cats, dogs and whatever
else comes for a party?

(The crowd erupts! They are delighted to host a party for their
benefactors! They rush Mr Bobcat to ask how they can help!)

Ms Mouse makes one point though. Please tell them that they can't eat
any of us. Perhaps, they would not mind a list of what we'd all be
comfortable seeing them eat? We have no chickens or ducks and no
seafood of any concern. We have no buffalo or cows. We have no
rabbits. Those should all be safe?

Mr Bobcat nods and takes the answers back.

--

cshenk
October 1st 16, 08:01 PM
Sundance and/or Rebecca wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

> Raccoons? Rocky! Rocky, iz yoo heer?
>
> [Rebecca's raccoon friend Rocky comes in from outdoors]
>
> Rocky: Yes, Rebec-c-ca, I am here. Is there something I c-c-can do
> for you? Who is your friend?
>
> Rebecca: Rocky, dis iz wun uv da rezzydintz uv da canyon whare we iz
> thinkin uv havvin dis yeer's Jellicle Ball. Mr Bobcat, dis iz myown
> fren Rocky. He hewps luk after da warehowse. Rocky, dere iz raccoonz
> in da canyon hoo needz owrown hewp. Wud you like to kum meet dem an
> see how we kan hewp?
>
> Rocky: Through the teleporter? I don't know, I've never been
> c-c-comfortable with that. Still, if they need help, I will c-c-come.
>
> Rebecca: Gudgud. Letz go.
>
> [They all step through the 'porter into the canyon, Rocky holding
> onto Rebecca. The bobcat goes to tell the raccoons that one of their
> own has come to see them, and Rebecca and Rocky look around to see
> what else they can do.]

Rocky comes out to a greeting of wild racoons, squirrels, a beaver, 2
skunks and a hamster with really long hair.

A little beagle comes along and bumps into the hamster and apologizes
then sets across and bumps into Rocky apologizes and wanders off
sniffing her trail. Iowna's delivering a message to Rebecca that yes,
the council of elders want to have the party here.

Rocky watches the little beagle with a grin then gets back to talking
to his type folks and what they may need.

--

cshenk
October 3rd 16, 01:50 AM
Sundance and/or Rebecca wrote in rec.pets.cats.community:

> Yes, we knowz her az Bast. We aknollidge her at da Jellicle Ball, but
> fur ussez da ball iz mostly abowt rememberin owrown frenz hoo haz
> went to da Rainbow Bridge durin the past yeer. At da beginnin of da
> ball, we reedz all dere namez aloud. After dat, doze hoo wantz to kan
> tell uss abowt whut dey rememfurz abowt da deer departid -- we kall
> doze tribyootz. We also haz lotz an lotz to eet, an a band or
> orkestra so doze hoo wantz to kan danse. Arown midnite, if Bast
> allowz, sumfing furry majikkle happinz -- we luk up in da sky an da
> Rainbow Bridge appeerz! Fur juss a fyoo minnitz we kan see owrown
> frenz dat haz lefted ussez. Fur me, dat iz da bestest part. After
> dat, we reedz da namez agin, an sumtimez noo namez haz bin added
> durin da eevnin. Den da offishul part iz over but efurrywun kan stay
> az long az dey wantz. Offin da ball lasts sefural hoomin dayz, but it
> iz just wun day an nite fur ussez.
>
> So dat iz why we iz heer. We thinked dis wud be a gud place to hab da
> Ball becuz dere muss be sumfing speshul heer if it survived wile
> efurryfing arown it burned.
>
> An now I haz a kweschun: may we hab da ball heer? We duz not want to
> cawze diffycultiez fur yoo. Whether da ball is heer or not, we will
> still hewp all uv yurownselvez az we hab startid to do: we will leeb
> da 'porter an efurryfing, an da Fluffykitz warehowse will still
> deliver fingz az long az yoo needz, an yoo kan kall on ussez if yoo
> needz enneefing else.
>
> So whut duz yoo say?
>
> Rebecca

The group comes back, with Mr Bobcat speaking:

They completely agree to have the Jellicle ball here. We had not a pip
from our smallest ones against it. We are also greatful for your help
in our time of need. We hope you do not mind if we ask to shift a few
things over time. We want to be self sustaining again.

1- they want to honor the spirit of Bast that brought them help. They
are pretty sure she doesn't mind they aren't all cats.

2- they humbly know they need help and are happy to have it, but they
want to get stock for the fish pond Mr and Mrs Beaver made. The deer
want tree stock that makes nuts for the squirrels and such that they
can with our help, plant to regrow the woods. They do not want to live
forever on free food, but to live sustainably in a natural way.

3- Some who came, ran for their lives but grew up with humans. They
would like to see if they can be adopted back. They want only an
internet connection and to be able to email homes and maybe have a ride
to adoption events.

We will take the help for now, but hope you will help us grow faster
than nature will regrow the area, so we don't need help. Is that ok?