PDA

View Full Version : Any news from Jill and Buffy?

MaryL[_2_]
October 9th 16, 09:50 PM
Has anyone heard from Jill and Buffy?...or news about Pawleys Island?
The only thing I saw on the news about Pawleys Island is that they have
lost cell phone service. I hope we will see more details, and hopefully
good information.

MaryL

Gennie[_2_]
October 10th 16, 03:35 PM
On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 1:50:07 PM UTC-7, MaryL wrote:
> Has anyone heard from Jill and Buffy?...or news about Pawleys Island?
> The only thing I saw on the news about Pawleys Island is that they have
> lost cell phone service. I hope we will see more details, and hopefully
> good information.
>
> MaryL

I checked the Dataw Island website. Power was still out on the entire island as of yesterday afternoon. Evacuated residents are not being allowed back into the local county by authorities for safety reasons. The island's roads and many driveways are blocked by downed trees and debris. A number of homes sustained damage from fallen trees as well. Fortunately there seems to be little flooding in buildings. If Jill and Buffy did stay in place there is possibly no access to the internet at this time. Hoping that everyone is safe!

Gennie

Mishi[_2_]
October 10th 16, 04:21 PM
On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 10:35:45 AM UTC-4, Gennie wrote:
> On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 1:50:07 PM UTC-7, MaryL wrote:
> > Has anyone heard from Jill and Buffy?...or news about Pawleys Island?
> > The only thing I saw on the news about Pawleys Island is that they have
> > lost cell phone service. I hope we will see more details, and hopefully
> > good information.
> >
> > MaryL
>
> I checked the Dataw Island website. Power was still out on the entire island as of yesterday afternoon. Evacuated residents are not being allowed back into the local county by authorities for safety reasons. The island's roads and many driveways are blocked by downed trees and debris. A number of homes sustained damage from fallen trees as well. Fortunately there seems to be little flooding in buildings. If Jill and Buffy did stay in place there is possibly no access to the internet at this time. Hoping that everyone is safe!
>
> Gennie

I just looked at the website (www.dataw.com), and there is a LOT of damage there. I don't have Jill's address to see if her home is one of those shown with damage. :(

MaryL[_2_]
October 10th 16, 04:39 PM
On 10/10/2016 10:21 AM, Mishi wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2016 at 10:35:45 AM UTC-4, Gennie wrote:
>> On Sunday, October 9, 2016 at 1:50:07 PM UTC-7, MaryL wrote:
>>> Has anyone heard from Jill and Buffy?...or news about Pawleys Island?
>>> The only thing I saw on the news about Pawleys Island is that they have
>>> lost cell phone service. I hope we will see more details, and hopefully
>>> good information.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>
>> I checked the Dataw Island website. Power was still out on the entire island as of yesterday afternoon. Evacuated residents are not being allowed back into the local county by authorities for safety reasons. The island's roads and many driveways are blocked by downed trees and debris. A number of homes sustained damage from fallen trees as well. Fortunately there seems to be little flooding in buildings. If Jill and Buffy did stay in place there is possibly no access to the internet at this time. Hoping that everyone is safe!
>>
>> Gennie
>
> I just looked at the website (www.dataw.com), and there is a LOT of damage there. I don't have Jill's address to see if her home is one of those shown with damage. :(

I don't see any pictures of Jill's house (445 Bb Sams Drive) on this
website, but there are addresses very close to it. I hope she did not
suffer any damage (or minimal, at least). It could be some time before
she has power even if her house did not suffer any damage. I went
without power for 7 days twice from the outer edge of hurricanes (East
Texas). It was very uncomfortable because it was hot and humid. I had
some battery-powered fans, and they were a great help. They were not
big enough to cool a whole room, but I set them on a table and let them
blow directly on me.

MaryL

Irulan
October 10th 16, 06:46 PM
Here's hoping we hear from Jill soon and that she and Buffy are ok.
Purrs and prayers for them.

lrulan

"MaryL" wrote in message ...

Has anyone heard from Jill and Buffy?...or news about Pawleys Island?
The only thing I saw on the news about Pawleys Island is that they have
lost cell phone service. I hope we will see more details, and hopefully
good information.

MaryL

Je▀us[_7_]
October 10th 16, 09:54 PM
On Sun, 9 Oct 2016 15:50:09 -0500, MaryL >
wrote:

>Has anyone heard from Jill and Buffy?...or news about Pawleys Island?
>The only thing I saw on the news about Pawleys Island is that they have
>lost cell phone service. I hope we will see more details, and hopefully
>good information.

All quiet on other newsgroups Jill uses, let's hope they are both safe
and well.

cshenk
October 11th 16, 10:02 PM
Irulan wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> Here's hoping we hear from Jill soon and that she and Buffy are ok.
> Purrs and prayers for them.
>
> lrulan
>
> "MaryL" wrote in message ...
> Has anyone heard from Jill and Buffy?...or news about Pawleys Island?
> The only thing I saw on the news about Pawleys Island is that they
> have lost cell phone service. I hope we will see more details, and
> hopefully good information.
>
> MaryL

If it helps, there's a huge number without power here and the elctric
company has a note on the radios that they are working first by
priority services (911, medical services if the generator failed, fire
stations and such) then down the list.

They've actually done a hell of a good job here. We have only 19,135
still out of roughly 720,000 customers. It was 350,000 of 720,000
customers on Monday.

Offhand, Dataw looks to need a lot of cable restrung? Underground
lines do not damage as easy, but when a tree rips out the underground
lines, takes twice as long to redig them back in.

Like one of my coworkers is still out along with most of his
neighborhood. They have buried lines and while they had 2 trunks, both
were taken out by trees when they roots ripped out.

Oh, side note. I know that long before I found any newsgroups on cats,
that RPCC and RPCA split, but it seems some like to join the Jellicle
ball? It's in pre-stage. Even if you do not want to participate, let
me know if there is a beloved pet to read the name of. You can email me
offlist (address not munged) if you wish to add one.

I feel sure Jill is ok, but dear god, please tell me when she comes
back, that I don't have to read Buffy...

Carol

--

dgk
October 13th 16, 06:45 PM
> wrote:

>On 10/10/2016 10:21 AM, Mishi wrote:

>>> I checked the Dataw Island website. Power was still out on the entire island as of yesterday afternoon. Evacuated residents are not being allowed back into the local county by authorities for safety reasons. The island's roads and many driveways are blocked by downed trees and debris. A number of homes sustained damage from fallen trees as well. Fortunately there seems to be little flooding in buildings. If Jill and Buffy did stay in place there is possibly no access to the internet at this time. Hoping that everyone is safe!
>>>
>>> Gennie
>>
>> I just looked at the website (www.dataw.com), and there is a LOT of damage there. I don't have Jill's address to see if her home is one of those shown with damage. :(
>>
>I don't see any pictures of Jill's house (445 Bb Sams Drive) on this
>website, but there are addresses very close to it. I hope she did not
>suffer any damage (or minimal, at least). It could be some time before
>she has power even if her house did not suffer any damage. I went
>without power for 7 days twice from the outer edge of hurricanes (East
>Texas). It was very uncomfortable because it was hot and humid. I had
>some battery-powered fans, and they were a great help. They were not
>big enough to cool a whole room, but I set them on a table and let them
>blow directly on me.
>
>MaryL

Yes, we just got a supply of those little 5" jobs. But I still want to
get some bigger ones even though they take 8 D batteries. Hopefully
Jill knows about those and has a few around.

MaryL[_2_]
October 13th 16, 07:12 PM
On 10/13/2016 12:45 PM, dgk wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:39:25 -0500, MaryL
> > wrote:

>>> I just looked at the website (www.dataw.com), and there is a LOT of damage there. I don't have Jill's address to see if her home is one of those shown with damage. :(
>>>
>> I don't see any pictures of Jill's house (445 Bb Sams Drive) on this
>> website, but there are addresses very close to it. I hope she did not
>> suffer any damage (or minimal, at least). It could be some time before
>> she has power even if her house did not suffer any damage. I went
>> without power for 7 days twice from the outer edge of hurricanes (East
>> Texas). It was very uncomfortable because it was hot and humid. I had
>> some battery-powered fans, and they were a great help. They were not
>> big enough to cool a whole room, but I set them on a table and let them
>> blow directly on me.
>>
>> MaryL
>
> Yes, we just got a supply of those little 5" jobs. But I still want to
> get some bigger ones even though they take 8 D batteries. Hopefully
> Jill knows about those and has a few around.

This was my favorite of the battery-powered fans. It requires 8 D
batteries, but it lasts a long time (much longer than the small ones
that use AA batteries).
https://smile.amazon.com/O2COOL%C2%AE-10-Inch-Portable-Fan-Adapter/dp/B013BOC6VC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1476381899&sr=1-3&keywords=portable+fan

This one only needs two D batteries--not as good as the first one I
listed but not bad considering the small size.
https://smile.amazon.com/O2COOL-5-Inch-Portable-Fan-Gray/dp/B001B16VT6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476382045&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+powered+fans

All of them were a big help when I was without power (air conditioning)
for a number of days in hot humid weather.

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_]
October 14th 16, 12:45 PM
On 10/9/2016 4:50 PM, MaryL wrote:
> Has anyone heard from Jill and Buffy?...or news about Pawleys Island?
> The only thing I saw on the news about Pawleys Island is that they have
> lost cell phone service. I hope we will see more details, and hopefully
> good information.
>
> MaryL

I don't know a thing about Pawleys Island.

During the four day power outage I read a lot of books. I always have
books on hand. And a book light. But oh, the fun thing about an extended
power outage (and the irony of a hurricane!) is my use of hurricane
lamps. They really do light up a room much better than any modern day
LED lantern. A nice warm light, too.

Anyway, an oil lamp lit the room and Buffy curled up next to me. She
also paid a lot of attention to the birds that came back.

Jill

dgk
October 17th 16, 01:41 AM
On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 13:12:01 -0500, MaryL
> wrote:

>On 10/13/2016 12:45 PM, dgk wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:39:25 -0500, MaryL
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't see any pictures of Jill's house (445 Bb Sams Drive) on this
>>> website, but there are addresses very close to it. I hope she did not
>>> suffer any damage (or minimal, at least). It could be some time before
>>> she has power even if her house did not suffer any damage. I went
>>> without power for 7 days twice from the outer edge of hurricanes (East
>>> Texas). It was very uncomfortable because it was hot and humid. I had
>>> some battery-powered fans, and they were a great help. They were not
>>> big enough to cool a whole room, but I set them on a table and let them
>>> blow directly on me.
>>>
>>> MaryL
>>
>> Yes, we just got a supply of those little 5" jobs. But I still want to
>> get some bigger ones even though they take 8 D batteries. Hopefully
>> Jill knows about those and has a few around.
>>
>This was my favorite of the battery-powered fans. It requires 8 D
>batteries, but it lasts a long time (much longer than the small ones
>that use AA batteries).
>https://smile.amazon.com/O2COOL%C2%AE-10-Inch-Portable-Fan-Adapter/dp/B013BOC6VC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1476381899&sr=1-3&keywords=portable+fan
>
>This one only needs two D batteries--not as good as the first one I
>listed but not bad considering the small size.
>https://smile.amazon.com/O2COOL-5-Inch-Portable-Fan-Gray/dp/B001B16VT6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476382045&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+powered+fans
>
>All of them were a big help when I was without power (air conditioning)
>for a number of days in hot humid weather.
>
>MaryL

We got the 5" ones that take two D cells. And we put them away for the
next hurricane.