PDA

View Full Version : I do NOT spoil my cats!


Joy[_3_]
November 1st 16, 01:02 AM
This afternoon I decided that I should wash the sheets on my bed.
However, when I went in to strip the bed, I saw that my cats were on it.
I decided to wait a while. Every time I look, one or both of the cats
are on the bed. I still haven't stripped it to wash the bedding.

That does NOT mean I spoil my cats! ;-)

Bastette
November 1st 16, 03:53 AM
Joy wrote:

> This afternoon I decided that I should wash the sheets on my bed.
> However, when I went in to strip the bed, I saw that my cats were on it.
> I decided to wait a while. Every time I look, one or both of the cats
> are on the bed. I still haven't stripped it to wash the bedding.

> That does NOT mean I spoil my cats! ;-)

No, they are just a very handy excuse for not washing the bed sheets.
Who wants to do that? :)

Joyce

--
"Riveting reading that keeps readers reading."
-- The Midwest Book Review

The New Other Guy
November 1st 16, 04:45 AM
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:02:23 -0700, Joy > wrote:

>This afternoon I decided that I should wash the sheets on my bed.
>However, when I went in to strip the bed, I saw that my cats were on it.
> I decided to wait a while. Every time I look, one or both of the cats
>are on the bed. I still haven't stripped it to wash the bedding.
>
>That does NOT mean I spoil my cats! ;-)

Well, YES, it does.

Joy[_3_]
November 1st 16, 07:39 AM
On 10/31/2016 7:53 PM, Bastette wrote:
> Joy wrote:
>
> > This afternoon I decided that I should wash the sheets on my bed.
> > However, when I went in to strip the bed, I saw that my cats were on it.
> > I decided to wait a while. Every time I look, one or both of the cats
> > are on the bed. I still haven't stripped it to wash the bedding.
>
> > That does NOT mean I spoil my cats! ;-)
>
> No, they are just a very handy excuse for not washing the bed sheets.
> Who wants to do that? :)
>
> Joyce
>

You got me. ;-)

Joy[_3_]
November 1st 16, 07:40 AM
On 10/31/2016 8:45 PM, The New Other Guy wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:02:23 -0700, Joy > wrote:
>
>> This afternoon I decided that I should wash the sheets on my bed.
>> However, when I went in to strip the bed, I saw that my cats were on it.
>> I decided to wait a while. Every time I look, one or both of the cats
>> are on the bed. I still haven't stripped it to wash the bedding.
>>
>> That does NOT mean I spoil my cats! ;-)
>
> Well, YES, it does.

Well, maybe.

Lesley Madigan
November 1st 16, 01:40 PM
Well it's getting cold here and everyday since Friday I have gone out in a thin jacket and I'll be doing it again today.

Thursday night I forgot to hang up my warm fleece jacket and Bonnie has taken to sleeping on it and she looks so snug I haven't the heart to move her. This is DESPITE the fact under said fleece jacket is a fleece wearable blanket (Our heating is on the blink and anyway I'm trying not to turn it on to save money I look ridiculous in that and fluffy slippers but who is here to see me now? Apart from the cats and they're not fashion critics) so it's not like I am condemning her to sleep on a hard cold floor (Spirit prefers to sleep on the kitchen floor but even by cat standards she's weird) but I just don't have the heart to wake her up and push her off my jacket.

My cats aren't spoilt- they're just in charge

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Joy[_3_]
November 1st 16, 07:31 PM
On 11/1/2016 5:40 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
> Well it's getting cold here and everyday since Friday I have gone out in a thin jacket and I'll be doing it again today.
>
> Thursday night I forgot to hang up my warm fleece jacket and Bonnie has taken to sleeping on it and she looks so snug I haven't the heart to move her. This is DESPITE the fact under said fleece jacket is a fleece wearable blanket (Our heating is on the blink and anyway I'm trying not to turn it on to save money I look ridiculous in that and fluffy slippers but who is here to see me now? Apart from the cats and they're not fashion critics) so it's not like I am condemning her to sleep on a hard cold floor (Spirit prefers to sleep on the kitchen floor but even by cat standards she's weird) but I just don't have the heart to wake her up and push her off my jacket.
>
> My cats aren't spoilt- they're just in charge
>
> Lesley

Yup. That's it.

Je▀us[_7_]
November 1st 16, 10:09 PM
On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:02:23 -0700, Joy >
wrote:

>This afternoon I decided that I should wash the sheets on my bed.
>However, when I went in to strip the bed, I saw that my cats were on it.
> I decided to wait a while. Every time I look, one or both of the cats
>are on the bed. I still haven't stripped it to wash the bedding.
>
>That does NOT mean I spoil my cats! ;-)

BTDT many times :)

jmcquown[_2_]
November 1st 16, 11:45 PM
On 10/31/2016 8:02 PM, Joy wrote:
> This afternoon I decided that I should wash the sheets on my bed.
> However, when I went in to strip the bed, I saw that my cats were on it.
> I decided to wait a while. Every time I look, one or both of the cats
> are on the bed. I still haven't stripped it to wash the bedding.
>
> That does NOT mean I spoil my cats! ;-)

Of course it doesn't! Just whose bed do you think it is, anyway?! ;)

Jill

jmcquown[_2_]
November 1st 16, 11:50 PM
On 11/1/2016 8:40 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
> Well it's getting cold here and everyday since Friday I have gone out in a thin jacket and I'll be doing it again today.
>
> Thursday night I forgot to hang up my warm fleece jacket and Bonnie has taken to sleeping on it and she looks so snug I haven't the heart to move her. This is DESPITE the fact under said fleece jacket is a fleece wearable blanket (Our heating is on the blink and anyway I'm trying not to turn it on to save money I look ridiculous in that and fluffy slippers but who is here to see me now? Apart from the cats and they're not fashion critics) so it's not like I am condemning her to sleep on a hard cold floor (Spirit prefers to sleep on the kitchen floor but even by cat standards she's weird) but I just don't have the heart to wake her up and push her off my jacket.
>
> My cats aren't spoilt- they're just in charge
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>
I'm sorry to hear your heating is out. It's still very warm where I
live but I definitely understand not wanting to run the heat (or in my
case, air conditioning) unless absolutely necessary.

Jill

Joy[_3_]
November 2nd 16, 12:23 AM
On 11/1/2016 5:31 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
> In article >,
> Joy > wrote:
>> This afternoon I decided that I should wash the sheets on my bed.
>> However, when I went in to strip the bed, I saw that my cats were on it.
>> I decided to wait a while. Every time I look, one or both of the cats
>> are on the bed. I still haven't stripped it to wash the bedding.
>
>> That does NOT mean I spoil my cats! ;-)
>
> No, of course you don't. Neither do I. The fact that I put off changing
> the bed for three days because each time I went to change it Sootie was
> asleep on it does not mean I spoil her, she's not spoilt just cherished. :)
>
> Judith
>

Exactly.

I managed to change mine today by doing it while they were eating breakfast.

Joy[_3_]
November 2nd 16, 12:24 AM
On 11/1/2016 2:09 PM, Je´┐Żus wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 17:02:23 -0700, Joy >
> wrote:
>
>> This afternoon I decided that I should wash the sheets on my bed.
>> However, when I went in to strip the bed, I saw that my cats were on it.
>> I decided to wait a while. Every time I look, one or both of the cats
>> are on the bed. I still haven't stripped it to wash the bedding.
>>
>> That does NOT mean I spoil my cats! ;-)
>
> BTDT many times :)
>

;-)

jmcquown[_2_]
November 2nd 16, 05:09 PM
On 11/1/2016 8:40 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
> but I just don't have the heart to wake her up and push her off my jacket.

Many a time I've picked up a sound asleep Buffy from my desk chair
because hey, I want to use the computer and that's the only chair. I
don't carry my computer around with me. Buffy, that really is *my*
chair! She sleeps pretty soundly. I gently pick her up and talk
soothingly to her. She sort of grumbles a bit but if I cuddle her and
talk soothingly she pretty much doesn't care. She'll go back to sleep
if I put her down in another one of her comfy spots. :)

Or not... so what if she wakes up?

Jill

Bastette
November 2nd 16, 11:32 PM
jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/1/2016 8:40 AM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
>> but I just don't have the heart to wake her up and push her off my jacket.

> Many a time I've picked up a sound asleep Buffy from my desk chair
> because hey, I want to use the computer and that's the only chair. I
> don't carry my computer around with me. Buffy, that really is *my*
> chair! She sleeps pretty soundly. I gently pick her up and talk
> soothingly to her. She sort of grumbles a bit but if I cuddle her and
> talk soothingly she pretty much doesn't care. She'll go back to sleep
> if I put her down in another one of her comfy spots. :)

> Or not... so what if she wakes up?

> Jill

Remember, cats don't care at all if they wake you up out of a deep sleep
because they want to play, or get a snack, or be petted, or just to be
obnoxious.

Joyce
--
Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not
as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarassed millionaires.
--John Steinbeck

Joy[_3_]
November 3rd 16, 12:04 AM
On 11/2/2016 7:38 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
> In article >, Lesley
> Madigan > wrote:
>> Well it's getting cold here and everyday since Friday I have gone out in
>> a thin jacket and I'll be doing it again today.
>
>> Thursday night I forgot to hang up my warm fleece jacket and Bonnie has
>> taken to sleeping on it and she looks so snug I haven't the heart to
>> move her. This is DESPITE the fact under said fleece jacket is a fleece
>> wearable blanket (Our heating is on the blink and anyway I'm trying not
>> to turn it on to save money I look ridiculous in that and fluffy
>> slippers but who is here to see me now? Apart from the cats and they're
>> not fashion critics) so it's not like I am condemning her to sleep on a
>> hard cold floor (Spirit prefers to sleep on the kitchen floor but even
>> by cat standards she's weird) but I just don't have the heart to wake
>> her up and push her off my jacket.
>
>> My cats aren't spoilt- they're just in charge
>
>> Lesley
>
>> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
>
> That's a step up from me. AS you say our cats are in charge.
>
> Judith
>

Yup. I recently gave a speech about cats and dogs. I started this way:

"Whether you're training a dog or a cat, the first thing you need to do
is to make sure they know who's in charge. Once a dog understands that
you are the boss, he will do everything he can to please you. Once a
cat realizes that you will obey his commands to feed, pet or play with
him, he will be pleased."

Joy

John Kasupski
November 10th 16, 01:21 AM
On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 22:32:59 -0000 (UTC), Bastette > wrote:

>Remember, cats don't care at all if they wake you up out of a deep sleep
>because they want to play, or get a snack, or be petted, or just to be
>obnoxious.
>
>Joyce

I haven't quite figured out yet exactly what motivates my 14-week old Tabby
kitten to wake me up, but she seems to decide to do so about 50% of the time,
with my bladder doing the honors the remainder of the time.

The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!

John

Joy[_3_]
November 10th 16, 01:30 AM
On 11/9/2016 4:21 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 22:32:59 -0000 (UTC), Bastette > wrote:
>
>> Remember, cats don't care at all if they wake you up out of a deep sleep
>> because they want to play, or get a snack, or be petted, or just to be
>> obnoxious.
>>
>> Joyce
>
> I haven't quite figured out yet exactly what motivates my 14-week old Tabby
> kitten to wake me up, but she seems to decide to do so about 50% of the time,
> with my bladder doing the honors the remainder of the time.
>
> The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
> furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
> about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
> for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!
>
> John
>

I understand completely.

dgk
November 10th 16, 05:32 AM
On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 19:21:25 -0500, John Kasupski >
wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 22:32:59 -0000 (UTC), Bastette > wrote:
>
>>Remember, cats don't care at all if they wake you up out of a deep sleep
>>because they want to play, or get a snack, or be petted, or just to be
>>obnoxious.
>>
>>Joyce
>
>I haven't quite figured out yet exactly what motivates my 14-week old Tabby
>kitten to wake me up, but she seems to decide to do so about 50% of the time,
>with my bladder doing the honors the remainder of the time.
>
>The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
>furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
>about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
>for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!
>
>John

I'm pretty expert in this kind of behavior. My diagnosis is that
you're being trained, and it appears to be going well.

Actually, I guess that cats really don't understand that humans get
most of their sleep at one time. Cats seem to sleep anywhere at any
time so the concept that we might not appreciate being woken up
probably doesn't occur to them. Nor would it matter to them if it did.

Joy[_3_]
November 10th 16, 08:21 AM
On 11/9/2016 8:32 PM, dgk wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Nov 2016 19:21:25 -0500, John Kasupski >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2 Nov 2016 22:32:59 -0000 (UTC), Bastette > wrote:
>>
>>> Remember, cats don't care at all if they wake you up out of a deep sleep
>>> because they want to play, or get a snack, or be petted, or just to be
>>> obnoxious.
>>>
>>> Joyce
>>
>> I haven't quite figured out yet exactly what motivates my 14-week old Tabby
>> kitten to wake me up, but she seems to decide to do so about 50% of the time,
>> with my bladder doing the honors the remainder of the time.
>>
>> The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
>> furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
>> about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
>> for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!
>>
>> John
>
> I'm pretty expert in this kind of behavior. My diagnosis is that
> you're being trained, and it appears to be going well.
>
> Actually, I guess that cats really don't understand that humans get
> most of their sleep at one time. Cats seem to sleep anywhere at any
> time so the concept that we might not appreciate being woken up
> probably doesn't occur to them. Nor would it matter to them if it did.
>

There's a lot of truth here.

A couple of months ago I was in a speech contest. My speech was titled
"Dogs and Cats". I started by saying,

"Whether you're training a dog or a cat, the first thing you need to do
is to make sure they know who's boss. Once a dog understands that
you're in charge, he'll do everything he can to please you. And as soon
as a cat is sure that you will obey his commands to feed, pet and play
with him, he will be pleased."

Bastette
November 10th 16, 10:35 PM
John Kasupski wrote:

>> Remember, cats don't care at all if they wake you up out of a deep sleep
>> because they want to play, or get a snack, or be petted, or just to be
>> obnoxious.

> I haven't quite figured out yet exactly what motivates my 14-week old Tabby
> kitten to wake me up, but she seems to decide to do so about 50% of the time,
> with my bladder doing the honors the remainder of the time.

> The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
> furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
> about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
> for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!

My RB cat Roxy used to do this. I'd wake up to her climbing on me, sticking
her nose in my ear and purring loudly (well, her purr wasn't that loud, but
anything directly in your ear is!), and kneading me through the covers. Then
she'd settle down to sleep there. That was really sweet and not at all
annoying.

Licky wakes me up by sitting on the floor by the bed and yowling loudly. He
doesn't always want the same thing. Usually it just comes down to attention.
He either wants me to pet him (reasonable) or play with him (no way). But
even in the latter case, when I've turned on the light, I see that he has a
toy on the floor in the hope that I'll get up and throw it for him, and it's
so cute that i don't get mad. However, he usually ends up outside the
bedroom with the door closed. He doesn't try to get me to play much anymore
since it has never gotten him results.

Joyce

--
I will not sniff at my male human's feet after he takes his shoes off,
freeze my mouth open in disgust and then sniff my private parts to compare
odors. -- Cat Resolutions

Joy[_3_]
November 11th 16, 12:11 AM
On 11/10/2016 1:35 PM, Bastette wrote:
> John Kasupski wrote:
>
> >> Remember, cats don't care at all if they wake you up out of a deep sleep
> >> because they want to play, or get a snack, or be petted, or just to be
> >> obnoxious.
>
> > I haven't quite figured out yet exactly what motivates my 14-week old Tabby
> > kitten to wake me up, but she seems to decide to do so about 50% of the time,
> > with my bladder doing the honors the remainder of the time.
>
> > The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
> > furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
> > about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
> > for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!
>
> My RB cat Roxy used to do this. I'd wake up to her climbing on me, sticking
> her nose in my ear and purring loudly (well, her purr wasn't that loud, but
> anything directly in your ear is!), and kneading me through the covers. Then
> she'd settle down to sleep there. That was really sweet and not at all
> annoying.
>
> Licky wakes me up by sitting on the floor by the bed and yowling loudly. He
> doesn't always want the same thing. Usually it just comes down to attention.
> He either wants me to pet him (reasonable) or play with him (no way). But
> even in the latter case, when I've turned on the light, I see that he has a
> toy on the floor in the hope that I'll get up and throw it for him, and it's
> so cute that i don't get mad. However, he usually ends up outside the
> bedroom with the door closed. He doesn't try to get me to play much anymore
> since it has never gotten him results.
>
> Joyce
>

Your mention of purring in the ear reminded me of Herbie (RB). He was a
little love bug, which is how he got his name. My mother came for a
visit once while he was still fairly young. The next morning she told
me that she had wakened in the night to find that he was curled up on
top of her ear (She was lying on her side), purring loudly. She loved
it! I think he converted her. Before that, she had been strictly a dog
person.

Jack Campin
November 12th 16, 01:26 AM
> The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
> furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
> about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
> for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!

Ours sometimes wake us up (either like that or by stomping all over us),
but more often they put us to bed. Put the lights out and Chloe will
often come up beside me and purr a bedtime story in my ear. Zeke (RB)
used to do the same thing, but he'd first do a health and safety check
of the downie by crawling under it from feet to pillow a couple of times.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

John Kasupski
November 12th 16, 02:38 PM
On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:11:25 -0800, Joy > wrote:

>Your mention of purring in the ear reminded me of Herbie (RB). He was a
>little love bug, which is how he got his name. My mother came for a
>visit once while he was still fairly young. The next morning she told
>me that she had wakened in the night to find that he was curled up on
>top of her ear (She was lying on her side), purring loudly.

I had a kitten named Romper who did that to me years ago. I woke up one Satuday
morning hearing somebody operating a chainsaw, checked the clock on the
nightstand, saw that it was only 8:30 AM, and decided since I was awake now
anyway I'd go look out the window and see who the rude idiot was who was outside
waking people up by running a chainsaw at 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday.

Then I tried, and discovered I couldn't lift my head off the pillow.

Needless to say, it turned out the sound I was hearing wasn't a chainsaw after
all. It was Romper's little motor going full tilt boogie from directly on top of
my left ear, where he was curled up fast asleep.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

John Kasupski
November 12th 16, 02:50 PM
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 00:26:16 +0000, Jack Campin > wrote:

>> The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
>> furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
>> about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
>> for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!
>
>Ours sometimes wake us up (either like that or by stomping all over us),
>but more often they put us to bed. Put the lights out and Chloe will
>often come up beside me and purr a bedtime story in my ear. Zeke (RB)
>used to do the same thing, but he'd first do a health and safety check
>of the downie by crawling under it from feet to pillow a couple of times.

Yes - I get the same nose-licking at bedtime, but the purring generally doesn't
start until she curls up and gets settled in somewhere next to my feet.

Which reminds me - there's a small rectangular blanket, about 30 inches by
whatever the width of the bed - at the foot end. It's nice and thick and comfy,
and my kitten loves it so much that sometimes the purring begins the instant she
gets all four paws on it. Lots of purring, and kneading. The only other time she
does that is on the large microfiber thermal blanket I have on my living room
sofa - after I saw how much she liked the small one on the bed. I thought she'd
like that one too, and she certainly does! In fact, she's laying over there on
it right now watching me type this and keeps giving me those little "I love you"
kitty eye slow winks when I look over at her.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

jmcquown[_2_]
November 12th 16, 06:11 PM
On 11/12/2016 8:50 AM, John Kasupski wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 00:26:16 +0000, Jack Campin > wrote:
>
>>> The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
>>> furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
>>> about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
>>> for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!
>>
>> Ours sometimes wake us up (either like that or by stomping all over us),
>> but more often they put us to bed. Put the lights out and Chloe will
>> often come up beside me and purr a bedtime story in my ear. Zeke (RB)
>> used to do the same thing, but he'd first do a health and safety check
>> of the downie by crawling under it from feet to pillow a couple of times.
>
> Yes - I get the same nose-licking at bedtime, but the purring generally doesn't
> start until she curls up and gets settled in somewhere next to my feet.
>
> Which reminds me - there's a small rectangular blanket, about 30 inches by
> whatever the width of the bed - at the foot end. It's nice and thick and comfy,
> and my kitten loves it so much that sometimes the purring begins the instant she
> gets all four paws on it. Lots of purring, and kneading. The only other time she
> does that is on the large microfiber thermal blanket I have on my living room
> sofa - after I saw how much she liked the small one on the bed. I thought she'd
> like that one too, and she certainly does! In fact, she's laying over there on
> it right now watching me type this and keeps giving me those little "I love you"
> kitty eye slow winks when I look over at her.
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY
>
I love those slow blinky looks. So sweet! :)

Jill

dgk
November 12th 16, 08:29 PM
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 08:38:11 -0500, John Kasupski >
wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 15:11:25 -0800, Joy > wrote:
>
>>Your mention of purring in the ear reminded me of Herbie (RB). He was a
>>little love bug, which is how he got his name. My mother came for a
>>visit once while he was still fairly young. The next morning she told
>>me that she had wakened in the night to find that he was curled up on
>>top of her ear (She was lying on her side), purring loudly.
>
>I had a kitten named Romper who did that to me years ago. I woke up one Satuday
>morning hearing somebody operating a chainsaw, checked the clock on the
>nightstand, saw that it was only 8:30 AM, and decided since I was awake now
>anyway I'd go look out the window and see who the rude idiot was who was outside
>waking people up by running a chainsaw at 8:30 in the morning on a Saturday.
>
>Then I tried, and discovered I couldn't lift my head off the pillow.
>
>Needless to say, it turned out the sound I was hearing wasn't a chainsaw after
>all. It was Romper's little motor going full tilt boogie from directly on top of
>my left ear, where he was curled up fast asleep.
>

So he didn't wake the neighbors?

Bastette
November 17th 16, 04:09 AM
John Kasupski wrote:

> I had a kitten named Romper who did that to me years ago. I woke up one
> Satuday morning hearing somebody operating a chainsaw, checked the clock
> on the nightstand, saw that it was only 8:30 AM, and decided since I was
> awake now anyway I'd go look out the window and see who the rude idiot
> was who was outside waking people up by running a chainsaw at 8:30 in
> the morning on a Saturday.

> Then I tried, and discovered I couldn't lift my head off the pillow.

For the past several Saturdays in a row, I've been awakened by the sound
of a leaf blower going full force right in front of my building. (I live
in a small apartment building.) They start at 9AM. On a Saturday?? OK, I
know that for some people, getting up at 7AM is "sleeping in," but I am
not one of those people. I'm chronically underslept during the work week,
so I count on the weekends to catch up. Fortunately they're only in front
of the house for a short while, and then I can get back to sleep, provided
I'm not too angry to fall asleep. The first time it happened, I looked
out the front window and saw the guy standing there. And like a complete
idiot, I started banging on the window to get his attention. Never mind
that he was holding a very loud piece of equipment, and was also wearing
sound-blocking headphones - no way was he going to hear me. I banged so
hard that I broke the window. Fortunately there was a screen on the inside,
so I didn't get hurt. Moral: don't act on your anger when you're half
asleep.

Joyce
--
"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene

Bastette
November 17th 16, 04:10 AM
jmcquown wrote:

> On 11/12/2016 8:50 AM, John Kasupski wrote:
>> On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 00:26:16 +0000, Jack Campin > wrote:
>>
>>>> The thing is that when she does decide I've slept long enough, I awaken to a
>>>> furry little bundle of pure cuteness and affection who is standing on the bed
>>>> about six inches from my face, purring loudly and gently licking my nose, and
>>>> for this reason I find it impossible to consider her behavior obnoxious!
>>>
>>> Ours sometimes wake us up (either like that or by stomping all over us),
>>> but more often they put us to bed. Put the lights out and Chloe will
>>> often come up beside me and purr a bedtime story in my ear. Zeke (RB)
>>> used to do the same thing, but he'd first do a health and safety check
>>> of the downie by crawling under it from feet to pillow a couple of times.
>>
>> Yes - I get the same nose-licking at bedtime, but the purring generally doesn't
>> start until she curls up and gets settled in somewhere next to my feet.
>>
>> Which reminds me - there's a small rectangular blanket, about 30 inches by
>> whatever the width of the bed - at the foot end. It's nice and thick and comfy,
>> and my kitten loves it so much that sometimes the purring begins the instant she
>> gets all four paws on it. Lots of purring, and kneading. The only other time she
>> does that is on the large microfiber thermal blanket I have on my living room
>> sofa - after I saw how much she liked the small one on the bed. I thought she'd
>> like that one too, and she certainly does! In fact, she's laying over there on
>> it right now watching me type this and keeps giving me those little "I love you"
>> kitty eye slow winks when I look over at her.
>>
>> John D. Kasupski
>> Niagara Falls, NY
>>
> I love those slow blinky looks. So sweet! :)


Licky gives me those, too - when he's hoping to get treats.

Joyce
--
"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene

jmcquown[_2_]
November 18th 16, 11:27 PM
On 11/16/2016 10:09 PM, Bastette wrote:
> For the past several Saturdays in a row, I've been awakened by the sound
> of a leaf blower going full force right in front of my building. (I live
> in a small apartment building.) They start at 9AM. On a Saturday?? OK, I
> know that for some people, getting up at 7AM is "sleeping in," but I am
> not one of those people. I'm chronically underslept during the work week,
> so I count on the weekends to catch up. Fortunately they're only in front
> of the house for a short while, and then I can get back to sleep, provided
> I'm not too angry to fall asleep. The first time it happened, I looked
> out the front window and saw the guy standing there. And like a complete
> idiot, I started banging on the window to get his attention. Never mind
> that he was holding a very loud piece of equipment, and was also wearing
> sound-blocking headphones - no way was he going to hear me. I banged so
> hard that I broke the window. Fortunately there was a screen on the inside,
> so I didn't get hurt. Moral: don't act on your anger when you're half
> asleep.
>
> Joyce

I hear ya! Try living with a golf course behind your house. Big riding
blowers, riding mowers... nearly every day starting around 7AM! Like
you, I don't have to get up on weekends that early. I had to get a
"noise machine" to block out the sounds out back. When the weather is
nice enough to have the windows open, no such luck.

Sorry about your broken window but I'm glad you weren't hurt.

Jill