PDA

View Full Version : The Water Incident - And More

John Kasupski
January 19th 17, 05:46 AM
As any cat lover knows, our feline friends must always have access to fresh
water. Some of us, however, have cats whose opinion of just what qualifies as
"fresh" and what doesn't differs from that of others.

When I first got Minnie, she'd often try to jump up onto the kitchen counter
next to the sink...especially when I was standing there doing dishes or whatever
and had the water running. She couldn't quite make it then, but that didn't stop
her from trying, and sometimes I stopped and dried my hands so I could pick her
up and boost her up to her indicated goal without getting her wet. She'd then
stand there watching me or and looking out the window into the back yard and so
forth until I was finished and put her back down.

Always, I'd wash and dry her water dish and fill it with fresh, cold water, and
often she'd go over and drink some as soon as I put it down.

Then came the day I put the just-filled bowl of water on the floor, and she
immediately ran over and snarled as she smacked the top edge of the bowl with
her paw, causing the bowl to tip over and dump most of the water all over the
floor. While this sight was still making its way from my eyes to my brain, she
turned and ran across the kitchen and tried to jump up on the counter next to
the sink. She didn't make it...but Charlie (RB) used to insist on drinking right
out of the faucet and so had at least one of my friends' cats, so I realized it
was possible that Minnie was "one of those" - and there being only one way to
find out, I picked her up and put her on the counter, turned the cold water on.
and said to her, "Go ahead, baby." Can you guess what happened next?

I call that The Water Incident.

I still keep fresh water in her bowl for when I'm not around to turn the faucet
on for her, and sometimes I'll come out there and see her actually drinking it,
but for the most part, she'd much rather drink water right from the faucet.

One day a few weeks later, she eventually succeeded in jumping up onto the
counter on her own. Even now she still falls short once in a while, but after
that first time when she made it, I don't think I've ever seen her miss twice in
a row. Whenever she wants to, she'll jump up there when I'm at the sink. She
knows fresh, cold water comes out of that faucet. She also knows HOT water comes
out of that faucet. So before she drinks she MUST hear me say, "Go ahead, baby."
In the event that I leave the water running and walk away without saying it, she
literally whines like you'd expect to hear from a dog.

Now, about that "And More" part that's in the subject line...while I was typing
this post, I had some rice cooking on the stove that I'd put on earlier, with a
timer set to let me know when 35 minutes had elapsed and I could expect all the
water to be absorbed.

Just as I was typing the line that reads, "I call that The Water Incident" my
Minnie came rushing in here from the kitchen and went into her familiar "follow
me" behavior pattern - and was whining to add some extra urgency to her . She
got me to follow her into the kitchen, and when I arrived, I found 13.5 minutes
still left on the timer and all the water gone from the kettle! Had I waited for
the timer to go off, I may very well have had half a pound of burnt rice, and
possibly a ruined kettle as well. I'm not sure how she knew, She never jumps up
there and she can't even see up there. The only thing I can think of is that she
stopped seeing steam rising from the kettle and somehow concluded that this
sudden change of circumstances was something I might wish to know about.

She just got TWO of those pounce kitty treats for that one! If she hadn't come
and gotten me, I can't say for sure what might have happened. I'll you what I
can say for sure. When I go back out there in a minute and add cream of chicken
soup, chicken, and veggies to the kettle, not all of that chicken is guaranteed
to make it into the kettle...because if Minnie shows any interest in having any
of it, she's definitely getting some!

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

jmcquown[_2_]
January 19th 17, 02:34 PM
On 1/19/2017 12:46 AM, John Kasupski wrote:

> As any cat lover knows, our feline friends must always have access to fresh
> water. Some of us, however, have cats whose opinion of just what qualifies as
> "fresh" and what doesn't differs from that of others.
>
> When I first got Minnie, she'd often try to jump up onto the kitchen counter
> next to the sink...especially when I was standing there doing dishes or whatever
> and had the water running. She couldn't quite make it then, but that didn't stop
> her from trying, and sometimes I stopped and dried my hands so I could pick her
> up and boost her up to her indicated goal without getting her wet. She'd then
> stand there watching me or and looking out the window into the back yard and so
> forth until I was finished and put her back down.
>
> Always, I'd wash and dry her water dish and fill it with fresh, cold water, and
> often she'd go over and drink some as soon as I put it down.
>
> Then came the day I put the just-filled bowl of water on the floor, and she
> immediately ran over and snarled as she smacked the top edge of the bowl with
> her paw, causing the bowl to tip over and dump most of the water all over the
> floor. While this sight was still making its way from my eyes to my brain, she
> turned and ran across the kitchen and tried to jump up on the counter next to
> the sink. She didn't make it...but Charlie (RB) used to insist on drinking right
> out of the faucet and so had at least one of my friends' cats, so I realized it
> was possible that Minnie was "one of those" - and there being only one way to
> find out, I picked her up and put her on the counter, turned the cold water on.
> and said to her, "Go ahead, baby." Can you guess what happened next?
>
> I call that The Water Incident.

(snippage)

Minnie wounds extremely bright! Persia (RB) used to jump from the
toilet to the vanity/sink in the tiny "en suite" bathroom in my former
apartment. She did this when I was brushing my teeth. She obviously
wanted to drink running water from the faucet. This prompted me to buy
her a Drinkwell fountain so I wouldn't accidentally spit toothpaste on
her head. ;)

Those fountains are (or at least used to be) a PITA to clean. After
many years of constantly cleaning it and replacing filters I finally
said enough is enough! Persia adapted easily enough to drinking from a
nice deep bowl <whew!>. Of course the water had to be very cold and
very fresh.

Jill

John Kasupski
January 19th 17, 08:09 PM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 09:34:21 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>Minnie wounds extremely bright!

Yup, a splash of blood red does tend to brighten up gray surroundings. LOL!

Seriously, though, some of the things she's done over the last month or so have
really amazed me. When I first got her there was even some reason to suspect she
was dumber than a stump, but after living here for 12 weeks or so she's gotten
over most of the skittishness caused by not having been socialized properly
during her early kittenhood. She now has a human she trusts, her confidence has
gone way up, and it's resulted in quite the change in her.

If that sounds like I'm proud of her, it's because I am.

> Persia (RB) used to jump from the
>toilet to the vanity/sink in the tiny "en suite" bathroom in my former
>apartment. She did this when I was brushing my teeth. She obviously
>wanted to drink running water from the faucet. This prompted me to buy
>her a Drinkwell fountain so I wouldn't accidentally spit toothpaste on
>her head. ;)

I'm sitting here LOL while thinking back to the time I made my quick and dirty
tuna casserole and she got some right on top of her head because she tried to
show me she wanted some by rubbing her head on the bottom of the big kitchen
spoon I'd just used to stir ingredients into it. I don't see toothpaste looking
any less out of place and somewhat comical on top of a cat's head, perfectly
centered between her ears, than the tuna casserole did,

>Those fountains are (or at least used to be) a PITA to clean. After
>many years of constantly cleaning it and replacing filters I finally
>said enough is enough! Persia adapted easily enough to drinking from a
>nice deep bowl <whew!>. Of course the water had to be very cold and
>very fresh.

Well, thank you - I won't bother looking at those fountains now. If I'm going to
spend that much time on seeing to it that Minnie has access to fresh water, I'd
rather spend it going out there go turn the faucet on and keep having those
somewhat frequent moments of interaction with her. Of course, it's easy to say
that now when it's wintertime here. In the summer when it's hot enough to fry an
egg on the sidewalk and she wants a drink ten times as often, I may reconsider.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

jmcquown[_2_]
January 19th 17, 11:45 PM
On 1/19/2017 3:09 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
> Well, thank you - I won't bother looking at those fountains now. If I'm going to
> spend that much time on seeing to it that Minnie has access to fresh water, I'd
> rather spend it going out there go turn the faucet on and keep having those
> somewhat frequent moments of interaction with her. Of course, it's easy to say
> that now when it's wintertime here. In the summer when it's hot enough to fry an
> egg on the sidewalk and she wants a drink ten times as often, I may reconsider.
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

They may have changed the design of the fountains in the years since I
used one. Perhaps they are easier to clean now. <shrug>

Jill

John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 01:10 AM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:45:48 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>They may have changed the design of the fountains in the years since I
>used one. Perhaps they are easier to clean now. <shrug>

Could be. They've been doing a lot more for cats since the 1980's when somebody
with way too much spare time apparently did a head count and found out people
had more cats as pets than dogs. When people have millions of cats, there's big
money to be made by coming out with stuff for their owners to buy them.

Still, I kind of like those interactive moments with Minnie, and it's been a
bonding opportunity, so I'll save any ideas about a gadget that's going to
detract from that until one becomes necessary.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

jmcquown[_2_]
January 20th 17, 02:12 AM
On 1/19/2017 8:10 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:45:48 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> They may have changed the design of the fountains in the years since I
>> used one. Perhaps they are easier to clean now. <shrug>
>
> Could be. They've been doing a lot more for cats since the 1980's when somebody
> with way too much spare time apparently did a head count and found out people
> had more cats as pets than dogs. When people have millions of cats, there's big
> money to be made by coming out with stuff for their owners to buy them.
>
> Still, I kind of like those interactive moments with Minnie, and it's been a
> bonding opportunity, so I'll save any ideas about a gadget that's going to
> detract from that until one becomes necessary.
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

Buffy knows nothing about a fountain so please don't tell her! LOL

I was digging through a bag of cat toys in the closet and found a rattle
toy that looked like a squirrel. Oh, it's soft and it rattles! I do
knot remember where I got it. I gave it to Buffy.

I promise I didn't know it was covered in real rabbit fur when I bought
it. I don't even recall buying it. OOOPS.

Buffy ripped the fur to shreds and left me with a plastic rattle with a
faux squirrel face on it.

https://s27.postimg.org/rujakqydv/toy.jpg

The funny thing is, she still plays with it because what she really
likes is the rattle. She bunny-kicks it and rolls around. It's fun to
watch.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_]
January 20th 17, 02:16 AM
On 1/19/2017 9:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/19/2017 8:10 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:45:48 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>

>> Still, I kind of like those interactive moments with Minnie, and it's
>> been a
>> bonding opportunity, so I'll save any ideas about a gadget that's
>> going to
>> detract from that until one becomes necessary.
>>
>> John D. Kasupski
>> Niagara Falls, NY
>>
> Buffy knows nothing about a fountain so please don't tell her! LOL
>
> I was digging through a bag of cat toys in the closet and found a rattle
> toy that looked like a squirrel. Oh, it's soft and it rattles! I do
> knot remember where I got it.

I did *not* mean to type "knot". LOLOL

Jill

John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 03:10 AM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:16:48 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>I did *not* mean to type "knot". LOLOL

No problem. I thought you did mean it, as a pun, because Buffy practically tied
that poor little squirrel in a knot from the look of that picture.

You apparently missed my reply the other one you had upthread:

On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 09:34:21 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>>Minnie wounds extremely bright!

>Yup, a splash of blood red does tend to brighten up gray surroundings. LOL!

Clearly you meant "sounds" instead of wounds, but I couldn't resist.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 03:27 AM
On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:12:09 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:

>The funny thing is, she still plays with it because what she really
>likes is the rattle. She bunny-kicks it and rolls around. It's fun to
>watch.

Yes, I also think its cute when they're bunny-kicking something. Except when
it's some part of my body they're doing it to!

The catnip mouse on a kitty fishing pole I got for Minnie and I to play with
didn't last long either. In less than a week the braided string began to unravel
and eventually broke off the stick. I tied it back on and we got one more play
session out of it that way before it came off again and she took off with the
mouse in her mouth, and the other end of the string got caught on the leg of the
kitchen table and ripped right out of the mouse. So after six days, she had a
loose catnip mouse she played with it by itself for two or three more days, and
she kept bringing it to me to play with her, but you can only get her to chase
things you toss across the room so many times and then she gets bored with that.

So now she doesn't play with it much anymore...instead she's all about getting
me to play with her using one of those rawhide shoelaces she found, and she
seems to have a one-track mind about it for the past two days. Maybe it's the
bonding experience with her human that she's interested in. The catnip never
really seemed to have any effect on her anyway. The "together time" sure did.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

jmcquown[_2_]
January 20th 17, 02:19 PM
On 1/19/2017 10:10 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 21:16:48 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I did *not* mean to type "knot". LOLOL
>
> No problem. I thought you did mean it, as a pun, because Buffy practically tied
> that poor little squirrel in a knot from the look of that picture.
>
> You apparently missed my reply the other one you had upthread:
>
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 09:34:21 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>>> Minnie wounds extremely bright!
>
>> Yup, a splash of blood red does tend to brighten up gray surroundings. LOL!
>
> Clearly you meant "sounds" instead of wounds, but I couldn't resist.
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

Touche! :)

Jill

dgk
January 25th 17, 01:10 PM
wrote:

>On 1/19/2017 3:09 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
>> Well, thank you - I won't bother looking at those fountains now. If I'm going to
>> spend that much time on seeing to it that Minnie has access to fresh water, I'd
>> rather spend it going out there go turn the faucet on and keep having those
>> somewhat frequent moments of interaction with her. Of course, it's easy to say
>> that now when it's wintertime here. In the summer when it's hot enough to fry an
>> egg on the sidewalk and she wants a drink ten times as often, I may reconsider.
>>
>> John D. Kasupski
>> Niagara Falls, NY
>
>They may have changed the design of the fountains in the years since I
>used one. Perhaps they are easier to clean now. <shrug>
>
>Jill

Not the model I have (Drinkwell Platinum) but I only change the filter
once a month and I clean it about as frequently. It isn't really hard
to clean but it does take a few minutes. Any time I see any green
(algae) I run it through the dishwasher (top shelf). That's rare
though.

I have to fill the container every few days (filtered water of course)
and keep a turkey baster next to it so I can suck out any bugs or
stuff that gets in and floats around.

jmcquown[_2_]
January 25th 17, 04:26 PM
On 1/25/2017 8:10 AM, dgk wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2017 18:45:48 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/19/2017 3:09 PM, John Kasupski wrote:
>>> Well, thank you - I won't bother looking at those fountains now. If I'm going to
>>> spend that much time on seeing to it that Minnie has access to fresh water, I'd
>>> rather spend it going out there go turn the faucet on and keep having those
>>> somewhat frequent moments of interaction with her. Of course, it's easy to say
>>> that now when it's wintertime here. In the summer when it's hot enough to fry an
>>> egg on the sidewalk and she wants a drink ten times as often, I may reconsider.
>>>
>>> John D. Kasupski
>>> Niagara Falls, NY
>>
>> They may have changed the design of the fountains in the years since I
>> used one. Perhaps they are easier to clean now. <shrug>
>>
>> Jill
>
> Not the model I have (Drinkwell Platinum) but I only change the filter
> once a month and I clean it about as frequently. It isn't really hard
> to clean but it does take a few minutes. Any time I see any green
> (algae) I run it through the dishwasher (top shelf). That's rare
> though.

Yours is a later model than I had. Images I've seen are totally
different from the one I had.

I cleaned the one I had once a week. I did only change the filter once
every few months. I'd rinse off the filter with the brush every time I
cleaned the fountain.

Every week I diassembled and cleaned the fountain. Cleaned the basin
and as much of the inside as I could with a non-abrasive Scotch Brite
pad. I had to take the top off and clean the inside. Use a thin
bristle brush on a wire handle to clean the long small passage down to
where the intake-outtake valve was situated. The valve flow assembly
was also in three different pieces, each of which could easily get
gunked up. I used the bristle brush to clean the small parts. It was a
PITA to do it every week. Then again, I never had algae".

> I have to fill the container every few days (filtered water of course)
> and keep a turkey baster next to it so I can suck out any bugs or
> stuff that gets in and floats around.

Nope, never had a problem with bugs in mine. I hope you have more than
that one water source for your cats. I don't know how big the Drinkwell
Platinum version is but with four cats there should be plenty of sources
of water around the house. Hopefully bug free. ;)

Jill