PDA

View Full Version : I Am An Ailurophile...I Guess <shrug>


John Kasupski
January 20th 17, 06:49 PM
I was web-surfing early this afternoon and ran across a web page full of cat
facts. I won't steal them all, but I can't resist sharing a few of them. My own
comments appear in parentheses.

"Sir Isaac Newton is not only credited with the laws of gravity but is also
credited with inventing the cat flap." (I think he must have invented the cat
flap first. It has no provision for the effect of gravity - either on it or on
the cat. That's a serious design flaw. If you don't believe me, just let your
kitty get clobbered by it the first time she goes through it and see how long
it'll take you to get her anywhere near it again.)

"Ailurophile is the word cat lovers are officially called." (I've got nothing
witty to say about this. I just want to make sure we all know what we are
officially called. I'd never heard of the word before, but there you have it.)

"On average, a cat will sleep for 16 hours a day." (And with some cats, the
other eight hours will be the ones during which YOU are trying to sleep!)

"An adult cat has 30 teeth, 16 on the top and 14 on the bottom." (I think it's
those extra two on top she's always trying to sink into my arm.)

"There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a cat and
about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply double those figures to
arrive at what's typically found attached to an ailurophile's sweater.)

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Bastette
January 20th 17, 09:14 PM
John Kasupski wrote:

> "There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a
> cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply double
> those figures to arrive at what's typically found attached to an
> ailurophile's sweater.)

In a color that starkly contrasts with your clothing.

--
"Sentimentality" -- that's what we call the sentiment we don't share.
-- Graham Greene

Joy[_3_]
January 20th 17, 11:54 PM
On 1/20/2017 1:14 PM, Bastette wrote:
> John Kasupski wrote:
>
> > "There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a
> > cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply double
> > those figures to arrive at what's typically found attached to an
> > ailurophile's sweater.)
>
> In a color that starkly contrasts with your clothing.
>

It's called accessorizing.

jmcquown[_2_]
January 20th 17, 11:56 PM
On 1/20/2017 4:14 PM, Bastette wrote:
> John Kasupski wrote:
>
> > "There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a
> > cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply double
> > those figures to arrive at what's typically found attached to an
> > ailurophile's sweater.)
>
> In a color that starkly contrasts with your clothing.
>
Don't you dare wear black! :)

Jill

Bastette
January 21st 17, 12:41 AM
jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/20/2017 4:14 PM, Bastette wrote:
>> John Kasupski wrote:
>>
>> > "There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a
>> > cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply double
>> > those figures to arrive at what's typically found attached to an
>> > ailurophile's sweater.)
>>
>> In a color that starkly contrasts with your clothing.
>>
> Don't you dare wear black! :)

But... my cat is black! Or is that what you mean? Actually, my "black"
cat is white underneath, so if I wear light colors, he can shed black fur
on me, and if I wear dark, he can shed his belly fur.

--
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth
concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both.
-- Louis D. Brandeis

Jack Campin
January 21st 17, 12:57 AM
>>>> "There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of
>>>> a cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply
>>>> double those figures to arrive at what's typically found attached
>>>> to an ailurophile's sweater.)
>>> In a color that starkly contrasts with your clothing.
>> Don't you dare wear black! :)
> But... my cat is black! Or is that what you mean? Actually, my "black"
> cat is white underneath, so if I wear light colors, he can shed black fur
> on me, and if I wear dark, he can shed his belly fur.

They seem to be able to shed fur in whatever colour makes the largest
effect, regardless of what it looks like when it's on the cat. My
Muriel looked to the naked eye like a short-haired grey cat, but she
covered the house with long white fluff.

My Splodge was black and white, about equal amounts of each, but after
collecting what I combed off him and getting it spun after he died, I
ended up with a fluffy beige skullcap. (It's wonderfully soft and
snuggly, ideal for cold draughty days at work).

Didn't we have somebody here whose cat spent years trying to persuade
her to dress in orange?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

jmcquown[_2_]
January 21st 17, 01:14 AM
On 1/20/2017 7:41 PM, Bastette wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > On 1/20/2017 4:14 PM, Bastette wrote:
> >> John Kasupski wrote:
> >>
> >> > "There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of a
> >> > cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply double
> >> > those figures to arrive at what's typically found attached to an
> >> > ailurophile's sweater.)
> >>
> >> In a color that starkly contrasts with your clothing.
> >>
> > Don't you dare wear black! :)
>
> But... my cat is black! Or is that what you mean? Actually, my "black"
> cat is white underneath, so if I wear light colors, he can shed black fur
> on me, and if I wear dark, he can shed his belly fur.
>
Didn't mean much of anything. Cat fur morphs. When Persia was alive if
I wore black her grey fur stood out just as much as if she'd been a
white cat. Buffy is orange and white. Wear anything dark and it looks
like you've rolled a cat all over yourself. :)

Jill

Bastette
January 21st 17, 02:17 AM
Jack Campin wrote:

>>>>> "There are approximately 60,000 hairs per square inch on the back of
>>>>> a cat and about 120,000 per square inch on its underside." (Simply
>>>>> double those figures to arrive at what's typically found attached
>>>>> to an ailurophile's sweater.)
>>>> In a color that starkly contrasts with your clothing.
>>> Don't you dare wear black! :)
>> But... my cat is black! Or is that what you mean? Actually, my "black"
>> cat is white underneath, so if I wear light colors, he can shed black fur
>> on me, and if I wear dark, he can shed his belly fur.

> They seem to be able to shed fur in whatever colour makes the largest
> effect, regardless of what it looks like when it's on the cat. My
> Muriel looked to the naked eye like a short-haired grey cat, but she
> covered the house with long white fluff.

> My Splodge was black and white, about equal amounts of each, but after
> collecting what I combed off him and getting it spun after he died, I
> ended up with a fluffy beige skullcap. (It's wonderfully soft and
> snuggly, ideal for cold draughty days at work).

I can't believe you got enough fur to make a hat! How big is the hat?

I should have collected more of Smudge's fur. It was medium-length and
had a "sticky" quality that I think would have spun well. It certainly
assembled itself naturally into clumps often enough (this was during her
Rastafarian phase).

> Didn't we have somebody here whose cat spent years trying to persuade
> her to dress in orange?

I don't remember that. There have been a number of orange owners here, but
can't remember any talk of collecting orange fur to make clothing.

Joyce

--
- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?
- I wrote Disney and this phone changed it. We are going to Disney.
-- damnyouautocorrect.com

Jack Campin
January 21st 17, 07:49 PM
>> My Splodge was black and white, about equal amounts of each, but after
>> collecting what I combed off him and getting it spun after he died, I
>> ended up with a fluffy beige skullcap. (It's wonderfully soft and
>> snuggly, ideal for cold draughty days at work).
> I can't believe you got enough fur to make a hat! How big is the hat?

It's sort of a large skullcap, comes down as far my ears and folds up
an inch or so. A friend of Marion's was a craft spinner and did it
for me, more or less as a challenge. She thought she'd have to mix
it with other fibres, but it turned to be usable on its own. She
showed it to other people involved in spinning and weaving and none
of them guessed what it came from. Most folks would probably guess
alpaca.

Splodge shed a heck of a lot. He occasionally developed temporary
bald patches on his chest and tummy.


>> Didn't we have somebody here whose cat spent years trying to persuade
>> her to dress in orange?
> I don't remember that. There have been a number of orange owners here, but
> can't remember any talk of collecting orange fur to make clothing.

The one I was thinking of simply accessorized everything she wore as
if dropping a hint.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e . u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU, Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin