PDA

View Full Version : Kitty Nicknames

jmcquown[_2_]
April 1st 17, 10:48 AM
Buffy has a few nicknames.

(1) Fluffy McBuffy-pants. :)

She has very soft furry fluffy hindquarters. :)

(2) Flippy Tail.

She wags her tail. All the time. Sometimes she wags her tail in her
sleep. She actually woke me up at 6AM by thwacking me in the face with
her tail. I think it startled her as much as it did me.

(3) Pretty orange stripey girl.

self explanatory :)

(4) Big fat belly cat.

Also self explanatory. :)

Jill

jmcquown[_2_]
April 1st 17, 10:52 AM
On 4/1/2017 5:48 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> Buffy has a few nicknames.
>
> (1) Fluffy McBuffy-pants. :)
>
> She has very soft furry fluffy hindquarters. :)
>
> (2) Flippy Tail.
>
> She wags her tail. All the time. Sometimes she wags her tail in her
> sleep. She actually woke me up at 6AM by thwacking me in the face with
> her tail. I think it startled her as much as it did me.
>
> (3) Pretty orange stripey girl.
>
> self explanatory :)
>
> (4) Big fat belly cat.
>
> Also self explanatory. :)
>
> Jill

Oh, and I forgot (5) Rumblebug. She purrs very loudly. She's a happy
cat. :)

Jill

John Kasupski
April 1st 17, 05:42 PM
On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 05:48:20 -0400, jmcquown > wrote:

>She wags her tail. All the time.

The only nickname I've hung on Minnie so far is Kittydawg - because:

1. Unless she's sleeping, the only time you ever see that tail hold still is
when her face is in her food dish eating...then it might actually lie still on
the floor for a few seconds. The rest of the time it's wag, wag, wag.

2. She buries things. I left a folded-up blanket on a hassock in the living room
last week and she immediately claimed it as her new lounging spot. This
afternoon, I found three of her favorite toys, including her beloved rawhide
shoelace, all hidden in the folds of the blanket.

3. She whines just like a dog whines - especially whenever I won't play with her
because I'm busy doing something else, or I get near the cupboard where she
knows the kitty treats are but it doesn't look like I'm getting any out for her.

I haven't actually called her Kittydawg out loud - yet - but I do think it to
myself every time I see that tail of hers going a mile a minute.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Lesley Madigan
April 1st 17, 08:30 PM
On Saturday, April 1, 2017 at 10:48:29 AM UTC+1, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Buffy has a few nicknames.

Bonnie is BonBon, Bonnie Girl and Gannet (for those of us who have seen her eat)

Apoganza's nickname is LouLou because that's what the people I got her from called her

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Joy[_3_]
April 1st 17, 09:57 PM
On 4/1/2017 9:42 AM, John Kasupski wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 05:48:20 -0400, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> She wags her tail. All the time.
>
> The only nickname I've hung on Minnie so far is Kittydawg - because:
>
> 1. Unless she's sleeping, the only time you ever see that tail hold still is
> when her face is in her food dish eating...then it might actually lie still on
> the floor for a few seconds. The rest of the time it's wag, wag, wag.
>
> 2. She buries things. I left a folded-up blanket on a hassock in the living room
> last week and she immediately claimed it as her new lounging spot. This
> afternoon, I found three of her favorite toys, including her beloved rawhide
> shoelace, all hidden in the folds of the blanket.
>
> 3. She whines just like a dog whines - especially whenever I won't play with her
> because I'm busy doing something else, or I get near the cupboard where she
> knows the kitty treats are but it doesn't look like I'm getting any out for her.
>
> I haven't actually called her Kittydawg out loud - yet - but I do think it to
> myself every time I see that tail of hers going a mile a minute.
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

That reminds me of the time my parents came to visit (many years ago).
My Dad was strictly a dog person, and we had cats. Pyewacket (RB)
decided to convert him. Every time my Dad sat down, Pye jumped in his
lap. By the end of the visit, My Dad was callying Pye a "puppycat'.

Joy

Tigger[_2_]
April 3rd 17, 04:11 AM
Mine's are: "get off of there" "NO!" "ow, stop that"

John Kasupski
April 3rd 17, 05:56 AM
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 21:11:34 -0600, Tigger > wrote:

>Mine's are: "get off of there" "NO!" "ow, stop that"

Everybody uses those. They go along with "Careful" (often spoken just a few
seconds before the cat and whatever it is climbing on at the moment crash
simultaneously to the floor) and the classic, "What are you DOING?"

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

jmcquown[_2_]
April 4th 17, 11:54 PM
On 4/1/2017 4:57 PM, Joy wrote:
> On 4/1/2017 9:42 AM, John Kasupski wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Apr 2017 05:48:20 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> She wags her tail. All the time.
>>
>> I haven't actually called her Kittydawg out loud - yet - but I do
>> think it to myself every time I see that tail of hers going a mile a minute.
>>
>> John D. Kasupski
>> Niagara Falls, NY
>>

> That reminds me of the time my parents came to visit (many years ago).
> My Dad was strictly a dog person, and we had cats. Pyewacket (RB)
> decided to convert him. Every time my Dad sat down, Pye jumped in his
> lap. By the end of the visit, My Dad was callying Pye a "puppycat'.
>
> Joy

That's cute! My father didn't like cats at all. He always felt there
was something sneaky about them. No cats allowed!

Mom & Dad's neighbor (now my neighbor) had two black cats, Fedders and
Schwartzie. I used to cat sit them. When Dad was still alive he would
see the cats walking around behind the house he'd say, sotto voce,
"Those cats listen to everything we do."

Need I mention Dad suffered from dementia? But even before that he
never liked cats. He always thought they were sneaky.

I don't understand how someone can't like cats. They're so cute.
They're pretty. They're soft! They purr!

Stand offish? Okay, not all cats want to be lap cats. But I've rarely
encountered one that didn't at least accept the occasional quick pet.

Buffy was skittish when she first came to live with me because she'd
been bullied by another cat in her former house. Once she got
comfortable with the fact that it was just her, no other cat, she got
very happy and playful. And turned into a lap cat. :)

Jill

Bastette[_4_]
April 5th 17, 11:17 PM
jmcquown wrote:

> That's cute! My father didn't like cats at all. He always felt there
> was something sneaky about them. No cats allowed!

> Mom & Dad's neighbor (now my neighbor) had two black cats, Fedders and
> Schwartzie. I used to cat sit them. When Dad was still alive he would
> see the cats walking around behind the house he'd say, sotto voce,
> "Those cats listen to everything we do."

> Need I mention Dad suffered from dementia? But even before that he
> never liked cats. He always thought they were sneaky.

Wow, it's horrible when someone's dementia makes them paranoid. I've heard
about people who became very delusional in that way, and their life was
miserable. On the other hand, I've also heard of people who were really
unhappy and nasty throughout their lives, but when they got dementia, their
personality totally changed and they became calmer, warmer, and just plain
nicer. Maybe their dementia destroyed the memories that made them miserable,
so they didn't have those feelings anymore. That's a mercy! It was a mercy
for their kids, too, who had terrible relationships with their parent until
the change in personality.

These were all parents of my friends, btw. That's how I know about them.

Back to cats:

> I don't understand how someone can't like cats. They're so cute.
> They're pretty. They're soft! They purr!

I said this once to a friend. We were talking about how some people have
a phobia about cats. I didn't understand why. Being afraid of big, mean
dogs I do understand, but housecats aren't very dangerous, except in rare
cases. She said it wasn't a rational fear like that, it was more a sense
of revulsion. She likened it to how a lot of people feel about bugs - a
"don't let that thing get near me!" kind of feeling, even toward harmless
bugs. There isn't any real danger, and you can't reason people out of it
because it's an irrational phobia. I understand about those, even if it's
hard to imagine feeling that way about cats. I've been a cat-lover since
I was a year old!

Joyce
--
Fluffy Mackerel Pudding - "Once upon a time, the world was young and the words 'mackerel' and 'pudding' existed far, far away from one another. One day, that all changed. And then, whoever was responsible somehow thought the word 'fluffy' would help." -- Hilarious recipes at: www.candyboots.com

Joy[_3_]
April 5th 17, 11:32 PM
On 4/5/2017 3:17 PM, Bastette wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > That's cute! My father didn't like cats at all. He always felt there
> > was something sneaky about them. No cats allowed!
>
> > Mom & Dad's neighbor (now my neighbor) had two black cats, Fedders and
> > Schwartzie. I used to cat sit them. When Dad was still alive he would
> > see the cats walking around behind the house he'd say, sotto voce,
> > "Those cats listen to everything we do."
>
> > Need I mention Dad suffered from dementia? But even before that he
> > never liked cats. He always thought they were sneaky.
>
> Wow, it's horrible when someone's dementia makes them paranoid. I've heard
> about people who became very delusional in that way, and their life was
> miserable. On the other hand, I've also heard of people who were really
> unhappy and nasty throughout their lives, but when they got dementia, their
> personality totally changed and they became calmer, warmer, and just plain
> nicer. Maybe their dementia destroyed the memories that made them miserable,
> so they didn't have those feelings anymore. That's a mercy! It was a mercy
> for their kids, too, who had terrible relationships with their parent until
> the change in personality.
>
> These were all parents of my friends, btw. That's how I know about them.
>
> Back to cats:
>
> > I don't understand how someone can't like cats. They're so cute.
> > They're pretty. They're soft! They purr!
>
> I said this once to a friend. We were talking about how some people have
> a phobia about cats. I didn't understand why. Being afraid of big, mean
> dogs I do understand, but housecats aren't very dangerous, except in rare
> cases. She said it wasn't a rational fear like that, it was more a sense
> of revulsion. She likened it to how a lot of people feel about bugs - a
> "don't let that thing get near me!" kind of feeling, even toward harmless
> bugs. There isn't any real danger, and you can't reason people out of it
> because it's an irrational phobia. I understand about those, even if it's
> hard to imagine feeling that way about cats. I've been a cat-lover since
> I was a year old!
>
> Joyce

You can't reason someone out of a phobia, because phobias aren't
reasonable. They just are.

Joy

jmcquown[_2_]
April 5th 17, 11:54 PM
On 4/5/2017 6:32 PM, Joy wrote:
> On 4/5/2017 3:17 PM, Bastette wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> > That's cute! My father didn't like cats at all. He always felt there
>> > was something sneaky about them. No cats allowed!
>>
>> > Mom & Dad's neighbor (now my neighbor) had two black cats, Fedders and
>> > Schwartzie. I used to cat sit them. When Dad was still alive he
>> would
>> > see the cats walking around behind the house he'd say, sotto voce,
>> > "Those cats listen to everything we do."
>>
>> > Need I mention Dad suffered from dementia? But even before that he
>> > never liked cats. He always thought they were sneaky.
>>
>> Wow, it's horrible when someone's dementia makes them paranoid. I've
>> heard
>> about people who became very delusional in that way, and their life was
>> miserable. On the other hand, I've also heard of people who were really
>> unhappy and nasty throughout their lives, but when they got dementia,
>> their
>> personality totally changed and they became calmer, warmer, and just
>> plain
>> nicer. Maybe their dementia destroyed the memories that made them
>> miserable,
>> so they didn't have those feelings anymore. That's a mercy! It was a
>> mercy
>> for their kids, too, who had terrible relationships with their parent
>> until
>> the change in personality.
>>
>> These were all parents of my friends, btw. That's how I know about them.
>>
>> Back to cats:
>>
>> > I don't understand how someone can't like cats. They're so cute.
>> > They're pretty. They're soft! They purr!
>>
>> I said this once to a friend. We were talking about how some people have
>> a phobia about cats. I didn't understand why. Being afraid of big, mean
>> dogs I do understand, but housecats aren't very dangerous, except in rare
>> cases. She said it wasn't a rational fear like that, it was more a sense
>> of revulsion. She likened it to how a lot of people feel about bugs - a
>> "don't let that thing get near me!" kind of feeling, even toward harmless
>> bugs. There isn't any real danger, and you can't reason people out of it
>> because it's an irrational phobia. I understand about those, even if it's
>> hard to imagine feeling that way about cats. I've been a cat-lover since
>> I was a year old!
>>
>> Joyce
>>

> You can't reason someone out of a phobia, because phobias aren't
> reasonable. They just are.
>
> Joy

You can't reason someone out of dementia, either. I have no idea why my
dad thought the cats were spies. He told me the neighbor cats were
spying on us. Oh dear. Really? They were just walking around out back.

Jill

John Kasupski
April 6th 17, 12:47 AM
On Tue, 4 Apr 2017 18:54:25 -0400, jmcquown > wrote:

>My father didn't like cats at all. He always felt there
>was something sneaky about them. No cats allowed!

My dad always claimed he hated cats. He told me that at one point he and my
mother lived in the Bronx and in the summer it was so hot and muggy out you had
to leave the windows open even at night, and "The blankety-blank alleycats would
climb up the fire escape and come right in the window...two or three o'clock in
the morning they'd wake me up walking around on the bed and I thought I was
gonna have a heart attack."

Despite that, the first time he came over to my house when I had Charlie (RB),
my big Russian Blue, Dad and I were sitting on the couch and Charlie jumped up
at the end Dad was at, intending to walk across dad's lap to me - but when he
got onto Dad's lap, Dad started scratching him behind his ears. Charlie loved
being scratched behind his ears more than anything else, so as soon as Dad
started doing it he laid down on Dad's lap and squinted his eyes shut and began
purring up a storm - the perfect picture of solid contentment. Eventually he
fell asleep and Dad just sat there on the couch scratching the sleeping kitty
behind the ears for half an hour or longer. This was 40+ years later, so maybe
he mellowed out about cats as he got older, or maybe he simply discovered that a
purring cat lying in your lap isn't relaxing only to the cat - but he sure made
Charlie happy, and every time Dad came over after that Charlie would jump up on
Dad's lap as soon as Dad sat down and the whole scene was repeated.

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

Bastette[_4_]
April 6th 17, 01:51 AM
John Kasupski wrote:

> My dad always claimed he hated cats...

> Despite that, the first time he came over to my house when I had
> Charlie (RB), my big Russian Blue, Dad and I were sitting on the
> couch and Charlie jumped up at the end Dad was at, intending to walk
> across dad's lap to me - but when he got onto Dad's lap, Dad started
> scratching him behind his ears. Charlie loved being scratched behind
> his ears more than anything else, so as soon as Dad started doing it
> he laid down on Dad's lap and squinted his eyes shut and began
> purring up a storm - the perfect picture of solid contentment.
> Eventually he fell asleep and Dad just sat there on the couch
> scratching the sleeping kitty behind the ears for half an hour or
> longer. This was 40+ years later, so maybe he mellowed out about cats
> as he got older, or maybe he simply discovered that a purring cat
> lying in your lap isn't relaxing only to the cat - but he sure made
> Charlie happy, and every time Dad came over after that Charlie would
> jump up on Dad's lap as soon as Dad sat down and the whole scene was
> repeated.

That's adorable! It's funny to see someone who insists they don't like
cats (or any animal) suddenly realizing that hey, they're not so bad.

In my family, there were 4 females (mom, me, and my two sisters), and
my dad. Mom and the 3 of us kids loved cats, and dad was the bad guy.
He never said he hated cats, it's just that, given free reign, we would
have continued to accumulate stray cats indefinitely. Dad used to say,
"One or two cats, or one dog, one cat, that's fine, but I don't want a
houseful of cats." So he would eventually put his foot down and the strays
had to go. :(

That was when I was growing up. Now, my dad, who lives alone in a house
in Florida, is the Cat Man of his neighborhood. :) My sister got him a
cat about 12 years ago, and he fell in love with him. (That cat is really
great, I've met him a few times.) Then he got a second cat. Then he started
feeding neighborhood cats who hung out in his yard. Word quickly spread
through the feline community in the area, that free food was to be had at
my dad's house, so more strays. Then there was this cat in the neighborhood
who kept having kittens. She didn't belong to anyone, so nobody did anything
about it until my dad decided to intervene, so he had her spayed.

Last time I visited him, several years ago, I drove up to his house to
find about 6 cats sitting in the yard. :)

Joyce
--
The sun rose slowly, like a fiery furball coughed up uneasily onto a
sky-blue carpet by a giant unseen cat. -- Michael McGarel

jmcquown[_2_]
April 6th 17, 02:29 AM
On 4/5/2017 8:51 PM, Bastette wrote:
> John Kasupski wrote:
>
> > My dad always claimed he hated cats...
>
> > Despite that, the first time he came over to my house when I had
> > Charlie (RB), my big Russian Blue, Dad and I were sitting on the
> > couch and Charlie jumped up at the end Dad was at, intending to walk
> > across dad's lap to me - but when he got onto Dad's lap, Dad started
> > scratching him behind his ears. Charlie loved being scratched behind
> > his ears more than anything else, so as soon as Dad started doing it
> > he laid down on Dad's lap and squinted his eyes shut and began
> > purring up a storm - the perfect picture of solid contentment.
> > Eventually he fell asleep and Dad just sat there on the couch
> > scratching the sleeping kitty behind the ears for half an hour or
> > longer. This was 40+ years later, so maybe he mellowed out about cats
> > as he got older, or maybe he simply discovered that a purring cat
> > lying in your lap isn't relaxing only to the cat - but he sure made
> > Charlie happy, and every time Dad came over after that Charlie would
> > jump up on Dad's lap as soon as Dad sat down and the whole scene was
> > repeated.
>
> That's adorable! It's funny to see someone who insists they don't like
> cats (or any animal) suddenly realizing that hey, they're not so bad.
>
> In my family, there were 4 females (mom, me, and my two sisters), and
> my dad. Mom and the 3 of us kids loved cats, and dad was the bad guy.
> He never said he hated cats, it's just that, given free reign, we would
> have continued to accumulate stray cats indefinitely. Dad used to say,
> "One or two cats, or one dog, one cat, that's fine, but I don't want a
> houseful of cats." So he would eventually put his foot down and the strays
> had to go. :(
>
> That was when I was growing up. Now, my dad, who lives alone in a house
> in Florida, is the Cat Man of his neighborhood. :) My sister got him a
> cat about 12 years ago, and he fell in love with him. (That cat is really
> great, I've met him a few times.) Then he got a second cat. Then he started
> feeding neighborhood cats who hung out in his yard. Word quickly spread
> through the feline community in the area, that free food was to be had at
> my dad's house, so more strays. Then there was this cat in the neighborhood
> who kept having kittens. She didn't belong to anyone, so nobody did anything
> about it until my dad decided to intervene, so he had her spayed.
>
> Last time I visited him, several years ago, I drove up to his house to
> find about 6 cats sitting in the yard. :)
>
> Joyce

Why does this remind me of an old song by Crosby Stills & Nash? "Our
house was a very very fine house, with three cats in the yard..."

That's a wonderful story, Joyce!

My father probably never would have accepted cats. But he did have to
(reluctantly) accept my little dog Sampson. He sort of growled at me
when I moved back while getting divorced - "That dog better not poop on
my lawn". Really? Where do you expect him to poop? Next thing I knew
Dad was playing with the dog in the living room. Gee, weren't you the
one who told me not to bring a dog into the house?

I also found out, quite by accident, my mother was cooking scrambled
eggs for my dog. I forgot my purse or something one morning when I left
to go to work. Came back and discovered she was feeding scrambled eggs
to Sampson. MOM! What the heck are you doing? She said, "He likes
them." Of course he does. No wonder he wasn't eating his Alpo. LOL

Cats... Mom did finally realize they're okay. Really, you don't have to
love them or let them crawl all over you. Just accept them. I'm not
sure my father would have. <shrug>

Jill

Joy[_3_]
April 6th 17, 07:16 AM
On 4/5/2017 5:51 PM, Bastette wrote:
> John Kasupski wrote:
>
> > My dad always claimed he hated cats...
>
> > Despite that, the first time he came over to my house when I had
> > Charlie (RB), my big Russian Blue, Dad and I were sitting on the
> > couch and Charlie jumped up at the end Dad was at, intending to walk
> > across dad's lap to me - but when he got onto Dad's lap, Dad started
> > scratching him behind his ears. Charlie loved being scratched behind
> > his ears more than anything else, so as soon as Dad started doing it
> > he laid down on Dad's lap and squinted his eyes shut and began
> > purring up a storm - the perfect picture of solid contentment.
> > Eventually he fell asleep and Dad just sat there on the couch
> > scratching the sleeping kitty behind the ears for half an hour or
> > longer. This was 40+ years later, so maybe he mellowed out about cats
> > as he got older, or maybe he simply discovered that a purring cat
> > lying in your lap isn't relaxing only to the cat - but he sure made
> > Charlie happy, and every time Dad came over after that Charlie would
> > jump up on Dad's lap as soon as Dad sat down and the whole scene was
> > repeated.
>
> That's adorable! It's funny to see someone who insists they don't like
> cats (or any animal) suddenly realizing that hey, they're not so bad.
>
> In my family, there were 4 females (mom, me, and my two sisters), and
> my dad. Mom and the 3 of us kids loved cats, and dad was the bad guy.
> He never said he hated cats, it's just that, given free reign, we would
> have continued to accumulate stray cats indefinitely. Dad used to say,
> "One or two cats, or one dog, one cat, that's fine, but I don't want a
> houseful of cats." So he would eventually put his foot down and the strays
> had to go. :(
>
> That was when I was growing up. Now, my dad, who lives alone in a house
> in Florida, is the Cat Man of his neighborhood. :) My sister got him a
> cat about 12 years ago, and he fell in love with him. (That cat is really
> great, I've met him a few times.) Then he got a second cat. Then he started
> feeding neighborhood cats who hung out in his yard. Word quickly spread
> through the feline community in the area, that free food was to be had at
> my dad's house, so more strays. Then there was this cat in the neighborhood
> who kept having kittens. She didn't belong to anyone, so nobody did anything
> about it until my dad decided to intervene, so he had her spayed.
>
> Last time I visited him, several years ago, I drove up to his house to
> find about 6 cats sitting in the yard. :)
>
> Joyce

I love both of these stories!

Joy

Christina Websell
April 6th 17, 11:49 PM
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Buffy has a few nicknames.
>
> (1) Fluffy McBuffy-pants. :)
>
> She has very soft furry fluffy hindquarters. :)
>
> (2) Flippy Tail.
>
> She wags her tail. All the time. Sometimes she wags her tail in her
> sleep. She actually woke me up at 6AM by thwacking me in the face with
> her tail. I think it startled her as much as it did me.
>
> (3) Pretty orange stripey girl.
>
> self explanatory :)
>
> (4) Big fat belly cat.
>
> Also self explanatory. :)
>
> Jill

Boyfie has several nicknames Chicken pie, pikelet and pikey (the latter is
a bad name for gypsies, but it's just how the name evolved from my lovely
little chicken pie)

Lesley Madigan
April 25th 17, 12:17 AM
Ganzi has accquired the nickname "Alice" where the black on her face comes down near her mouth on each side it tapers down to a point. From certain angles it looks like Alice Cooper's make up

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

jmcquown[_2_]
April 26th 17, 12:46 AM
On 4/24/2017 7:17 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
> Ganzi has accquired the nickname "Alice" where the black on her face comes down near her mouth on each side it tapers down to a point. From certain angles it looks like Alice Cooper's make up
>

> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

That made me laugh. Good reason for a nickname for Ganzi :)

Jill

dgk
April 28th 17, 04:28 AM
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 16:17:16 -0700 (PDT), Lesley Madigan
> wrote:

> Ganzi has accquired the nickname "Alice" where the black on her face comes down near her mouth on each side it tapers down to a point. From certain angles it looks like Alice Cooper's make up
>

>Lesley
>
>Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

That's cute. I suppose we could have a cat nicknamed Kiss. None of my
cats have nicknames though. Scooter is the closest, but that's his
actual name. He's absolutely balanced between a "scaredy cat" and a
"curiosity killed the cat". At any sudden noise or movement, he'll fly
away from any possible danger, only to get curious and come right back
to see what it was. So, he scoots around a lot.