PDA

View Full Version : Cat Passed away

Charles Devlin
April 28th 17, 12:09 AM
We brought our cat into the Vet today for minor eye surgery ( lower eye lid).
Our cat (Phoebe) was 8 years old, and in good health. 5 hours later, the Vet called to say he was very sorry, but Phoebe passed away after surgery. My wife and I are devastated. We used all our savings to pay for the surgery to keep Phoebe's sight intact. Our only income is a small pension and social security.

The Vet wants the charges paid in full (487.00), plus $100.00 extra for attempting resuscitation and $200.00 for cremation which we haven't authorized..

Since we can't pay all of this up front, and we haven't picked her up for burial yet (they are closed for the evening), should we ask them to lower some of the charges? They seem rather closed to this idea when they called.

Chas

cshenk
April 28th 17, 01:03 AM
Charles Devlin wrote in rec.pets.cats.health+behav:

> We brought our cat into the Vet today for minor eye surgery ( lower
> eye lid). Our cat (Phoebe) was 8 years old, and in good health. 5
> hours later, the Vet called to say he was very sorry, but Phoebe
> passed away after surgery. My wife and I are devastated. We used all
> our savings to pay for the surgery to keep Phoebe's sight intact. Our
> only income is a small pension and social security.
>
> The Vet wants the charges paid in full (487.00), plus $100.00 extra
> for attempting resuscitation and $200.00 for cremation which we
> haven't authorized.
>
> Since we can't pay all of this up front, and we haven't picked her up
> for burial yet (they are closed for the evening), should we ask them
> to lower some of the charges? They seem rather closed to this idea
> when they called.
>
> Chas

Hi Chas, you do not have to pay them for cremation. You can pick up the
cat and use your local resources. It for example is leagal where I live
to bury a pet under 15 lbs in the yard. You do not have to tell them
anything other than 'you have made your own arrangements'.

Pay the origionally agreed bill for the surgery. Tell them they need
to give you a detailed list for 'resusitation' costs. This is normally
covered as part of the surgery. If they do not provide, take them (for
free) to small claims court.

--

Mack A. Damia[_2_]
April 28th 17, 02:52 AM
> wrote:

>We brought our cat into the Vet today for minor eye surgery ( lower eye lid).
>Our cat (Phoebe) was 8 years old, and in good health. 5 hours later, the Vet called to say he was very sorry, but Phoebe passed away after surgery. My wife and I are devastated. We used all our savings to pay for the surgery to keep Phoebe's sight intact. Our only income is a small pension and social security.
>
>The Vet wants the charges paid in full (487.00), plus $100.00 extra for attempting resuscitation and $200.00 for cremation which we haven't authorized.
>
>Since we can't pay all of this up front, and we haven't picked her up for burial yet (they are closed for the evening), should we ask them to lower some of the charges? They seem rather closed to this idea when they called.

Sorry to hear about Phoebe. Don't jump into anything. Call the
Humane Society or ASPCA. That sounds like a very high charge
considering the totality of the circumstances. Get more advice!

Get the facts. Tell them that you cannot afford to pay that amount,
can they lower it or help out in some way?

John Doe[_2_]
May 3rd 17, 04:55 AM
Charles Devlin > wrote:

> We brought our cat into the Vet today for minor eye surgery
> ( lower eye lid). Our cat (Phoebe) was 8 years old, and in
> good health. 5 hours later, the Vet called to say he was
> very sorry, but Phoebe passed away after surgery. My wife
> and I are devastated. We used all our savings to pay for
> the surgery to keep Phoebe's sight intact. Our only income
> is a small pension and social security.
>
> The Vet wants the charges paid in full (487.00), plus
> $100.00 extra for attempting resuscitation and $200.00 for
> cremation which we haven't authorized.
>
> Since we can't pay all of this up front, and we haven't
> picked her up for burial yet (they are closed for the
> evening), should we ask them to lower some of the charges?
> They seem rather closed to this idea when they called.

Wow. I most certainly would not pay them without knowing what
the cause of death was. Could have been malpractice.