PDA

View Full Version : Old cat can't keep any food down?

zhenzhen
May 2nd 17, 01:52 PM
Hello, I'm fairly new here but I just wanted some advice about my 16 year old cat Spot? He's still quite a mobile, vocal cat but he's unable to eat pretty much anything without throwing it up a few minutes later; have tried Fancy Feast tuna, Dine, Whiskas wet food, and just plain old Coles brand cat food (which is kangaroo mince). He doesn't like to eat biscuits as he's missing a few teeth. At the moment, I'm just feeding him tiny cut up scraps of roast chicken which he doesn't eat much of but manages to keep down at least. Had a trip to the vet early this year but apart from telling me that his stomach was sensitive and that he couldn't handle cold foods, he said there was nothing wrong with him. I'm concerned about Spot being underweight.
Any advice and helpful information would be much appreciated, thank you!

John Doe[_2_]
May 3rd 17, 04:50 AM
zhenzhen > wrote:

> Hello, I'm fairly new here but I just wanted some advice
> about my 16 year old cat Spot? He's still quite a mobile,
> vocal cat but he's unable to eat pretty much anything
> without throwing it up a few minutes later; have tried
> Fancy Feast tuna, Dine, Whiskas wet food, and just plain
> old Coles brand cat food (which is kangaroo mince). He
> doesn't like to eat biscuits as he's missing a few teeth.
> At the moment, I'm just feeding him tiny cut up scraps of
> roast chicken which he doesn't eat much of but manages to
> keep down at least. Had a trip to the vet early this year
> but apart from telling me that his stomach was sensitive
> and that he couldn't handle cold foods, he said there was
> nothing wrong with him. I'm concerned about Spot being
> underweight. Any advice and helpful information would be
> much appreciated, thank you!

You need to feed it cat food, if possible. Cats losing their
appetite is a common problem (or not uncommon). In some cases
the cause might be tooth decay.

Loss of appetite is usually a bad sign. If it gets bad
enough, you can have it euthanized. Good luck.

On a related subject... I recently bought an inexpensive
blender "Ninja Master Prep (QB900B)" to help make
high-quality dry food into wet food. Results will still vary,
the cat I wanted it to work on is rejecting it. The idea is
to make sure they get water with their meals.

zhenzhen
May 3rd 17, 07:10 AM
;824642']zhenzhen wrote:
[color=blue][i]

You need to feed it cat food, if possible. Cats losing their
appetite is a common problem (or not uncommon). In some cases
the cause might be tooth decay.

Loss of appetite is usually a bad sign. If it gets bad
enough, you can have it euthanized. Good luck.

On a related subject... I recently bought an inexpensive
blender "Ninja Master Prep (QB900B)" to help make
high-quality dry food into wet food. Results will still vary,
the cat I wanted it to work on is rejecting it. The idea is
to make sure they get water with their meals.

Hello, thank you for your reply! Thankfully, he has no loss of appetite and makes it known when he's hungry (hangs around by the fridge and meows). I may try the blended food idea, that seems good for his lack of teeth. Hope it'll go well :), cheers again.

John Doe[_2_]
May 3rd 17, 10:03 PM
catbanter.com> wrote:

> 'John Doe[_2_ Wrote:

>> You need to feed it cat food, if possible. Cats losing
>> their appetite is a common problem (or not uncommon). In
>> some cases the cause might be tooth decay.
>>
>> Loss of appetite is usually a bad sign. If it gets bad
>> enough, you can have it euthanized. Good luck.
>>
>> On a related subject... I recently bought an inexpensive
>> blender "Ninja Master Prep (QB900B)" to help make
>> high-quality dry food into wet food. Results will still
>> vary, the cat I wanted it to work on is rejecting it. The
>> idea is to make sure they get water with their meals.
>
> Hello, thank you for your reply! Thankfully, he has no loss
> of appetite and makes it known when he's hungry (hangs
> around by the fridge and meows). I may try the blended food
> idea, that seems good for his lack of teeth. Hope it'll go
> well :), cheers again.

Yes, I misread (biased by my current recent problem). But in
that case, maybe the blender will help. I would expect to try
more than one high-quality dry food. Also problematic is they
tend to reject food at first, it must be gradually and
incrementally mixed with their current food over a week or
two.

Make sure the blender is easy to clean and has a bowl instead
of a glass for mixing, like the one I mentioned above. Not
sure I will continue using it forever, but it is the right
choice for the job. Just leave off the upper blade and go
slowly.

A much easier method is to use zipper sandwich bags. Just put
the high-quality dry food in the bag, add water, seal, and
let sit. The only problem is the juice comes out of the
kibble, so it is an uneven food. What the blender is for.

zhenzhen
May 4th 17, 01:15 AM
Yes, I misread (biased by my current recent problem). But in
that case, maybe the blender will help. I would expect to try
more than one high-quality dry food. Also problematic is they
tend to reject food at first, it must be gradually and
incrementally mixed with their current food over a week or
two.

Make sure the blender is easy to clean and has a bowl instead
of a glass for mixing, like the one I mentioned above. Not
sure I will continue using it forever, but it is the right
choice for the job. Just leave off the upper blade and go
slowly.

A much easier method is to use zipper sandwich bags. Just put
the high-quality dry food in the bag, add water, seal, and
let sit. The only problem is the juice comes out of the
kibble, so it is an uneven food. What the blender is for.[/QUOTE]
Thanks once again! I'll try using a blender or the sandwich bags too, but the blended food sounds better! That should be easier on his teeth, and hopefully he'll be able to digest that. Great help :)