PDA

View Full Version : Okey Doke... I tried Facebook

jmcquown[_2_]
September 1st 17, 12:20 AM
Sorry, I can't stand it.

Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!

So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
Just not on Facebook.

Jill

John Kasupski
September 1st 17, 06:58 AM
I can't stand it either. That's why I didn't do Facebook last time. I'm simply
not fond of it, period. So, I guess there's two of us at least. I'd post a
picture of Minnie, but she's sleeping right now, and I know not where, so...

John D. Kasupski
Niagara Falls, NY

September 1st 17, 01:24 PM
On Fri, 01 Sep 2017 01:58:52 -0400, John Kasupski >
wrote:

>I can't stand it either. That's why I didn't do Facebook last time. I'm simply
>not fond of it, period. So, I guess there's two of us at least. I'd post a
>picture of Minnie, but she's sleeping right now, and I know not where, so...

Strange. I use FB, and have NO problems with it.

If I don't want to see something from someone, I block them (seldom).
If I don't want to see followups, I turn off notifications for that
thread.

I see LOTS of interesting things on FB that I never see other places.

I have plenty to do on FB, so I haven't gone begging to get onto
the RPCA group there.

Mishi[_2_]
September 1st 17, 01:37 PM
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 7:20:34 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Sorry, I can't stand it.
>
> Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
> interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
> pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
> all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!
>
> So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
> if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
> stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
> enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
> Just not on Facebook.
>
> Jill

I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but several of my Yahoogroups lists are contemplating going to Groups.io https://groups.io/
The moderators who are trying it out say it is easier to access than Yahoogroups, and the interface is similar. I haven't compared it to Google Groups (that is how I access this newsgroup)

Just a thought.
Patti

dgk
September 3rd 17, 03:56 AM
On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:20:26 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Sorry, I can't stand it.
>
>Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
>interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
>pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
>all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!
>
>So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
>if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
>stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
>enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
>Just not on Facebook.
>
>Jill

I have tried it. And now I get huge amounts of emails about every post
that goes into the group. I'll see about getting those notifications
turned off.

Jack Campin
September 3rd 17, 05:33 PM
> > Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
> > interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
> > pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
> > all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!

I'm on it, and there s a heck of a lot there, but it is pretty
infuriating. The bits I least like: having such imprecise control
of who sees what I write, and having no real way to group what
I read so I can see things I see as related all together. Usually
I want the whole world to see anything I write, but I sometimes
find I've spent ages writing something that only a tiny group will
see. And switching randomly between Scottish politics and Turkish
culture and early music (to name three things I'm following groups
or friends for) only exacerbates my already bad tendency towards
"oh look a squirrel!"-ness.

> I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but several of my
> Yahoogroups lists are contemplating going to Groups.io https://groups.io/
> The moderators who are trying it out say it is easier to access than
> Yahoogroups, and the interface is similar.

It's not at all easy to see what forums they've got. At least
they do indicate how active they are, though.

mobile 07895 860 060 <http://www.campin.me.uk> Twitter: JackCampin

jmcquown[_2_]
September 3rd 17, 09:48 PM
On 9/2/2017 10:56 PM, dgk wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:20:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I can't stand it.
>>
>> Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
>> interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
>> pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
>> all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!
>>
>> So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
>> if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
>> stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
>> enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
>> Just not on Facebook.
>>
>> Jill
>
> I have tried it. And now I get huge amounts of emails about every post
> that goes into the group. I'll see about getting those notifications
> turned off.

It's under settings/notifications. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so
much...

Jill

dgk
September 7th 17, 09:47 PM
On Sun, 3 Sep 2017 16:48:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/2/2017 10:56 PM, dgk wrote:
>> On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:20:26 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Sorry, I can't stand it.
>>>
>>> Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
>>> interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories and
>>> pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and newsfeeds and
>>> all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who else. Arrgh!
>>>
>>> So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may die
>>> if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
>>> stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
>>> enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their cats.
>>> Just not on Facebook.
>>>
>>> Jill
>>
>> I have tried it. And now I get huge amounts of emails about every post
>> that goes into the group. I'll see about getting those notifications
>> turned off.
>>
>It's under settings/notifications. Sometimes it works, sometimes not so
>much...
>
>Jill

It did. No notifications every time someone posts something.

cshenk
September 12th 17, 01:00 AM
John Kasupski wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> I can't stand it either. That's why I didn't do Facebook last time.
> I'm simply not fond of it, period. So, I guess there's two of us at
> least. I'd post a picture of Minnie, but she's sleeping right now,
> and I know not where, so...
>
> John D. Kasupski
> Niagara Falls, NY

Actually John, I don't post much here but I'm here. Facebook in the
end is an endless litany of individal posts with no real story. Boring.

--

cshenk
September 12th 17, 01:00 AM
dgk wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 19:20:26 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I can't stand it.
> >
> > Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
> > interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories
> > and pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and
> > newsfeeds and all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who
> > else. Arrgh!
> >
> > So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may
> > die if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and
> > share stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social
> > media. I do enjoy having online friends who like to share stories
> > about their cats. Just not on Facebook.
> >
> > Jill
>
> I have tried it. And now I get huge amounts of emails about every post
> that goes into the group. I'll see about getting those notifications
> turned off.

Shift to digest.

--

Magic Mood Jeep[_3_]
September 15th 17, 04:13 PM
On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 7:20:34 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Sorry, I can't stand it.

<snippety snip snip>

> Jill

Insert sad face here :(

It's not for everyone (My brother is on it, but very rarely posts/comments. He only joined to get high school reunion info. He emails me instead of commenting on one of my posts LOL)

And I rarely drop in here any more.

Weeble is 14 now !!!!! 14!!!!!! He was a tiny little scrap of black fuzz, no bigger than his head is now. But what an appetite that little bugger had! Well... *still* has LOL

Still very polite, seeming to 'ask' before hopping up on the sofa next to me, and still taking a couple licks of an apple if I have one (Johnny Apllecat!), and is baby-twin sisfur Betty has been getting friendlier and friendlier, and still loves Pringles (she rather likes the sour cream & onion flavor). Don't worry, she only get tiny bits, as they are much too salty for her tiny self.

the DH was out of town a few weeks ago, and since I was by myself, I decided I wanted some artery clogging fast food for dinner. Stopped by Steak and Shake for take-home. Had to pee when I got home, so put the drink and bag of food on the end table, and went to go pee. Get back to the end table and IttyBittyBetty had her head in the bag! Doesn't notice me back, so intent on her prey was she, and I grab her and pull her out (the shocked look on her face was priceless), and she had grabbed a mouthful of their ittybitty fries (about half a dozen)! I just laughed at her, and took them away. OK not all of them, I did let her have 1 or 2, but that bunch she had would have been way to salty and greasy for her! I distributed the others she had to a couple of the others that also like fries, and the dogs - can't forget the dogs!

NL
-----
The ONE and ONLY lefthanded-pathetic-paranoid-psychotic-sarcastic-ditzy former-blonde in Bloomington!

jmcquown[_2_]
September 15th 17, 05:46 PM
On 9/15/2017 11:13 AM, Magic Mood Jeep wrote:
> On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 7:20:34 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> Sorry, I can't stand it.
>
> <snippety snip snip>
>>
>> Jill
>
> Insert sad face here :(
>
> It's not for everyone (My brother is on it, but very rarely posts/comments. He only joined to get high school reunion info. He emails me instead of commenting on one of my posts LOL)
>
> And I rarely drop in here any more.
>
> Weeble is 14 now !!!!! 14!!!!!! He was a tiny little scrap of black fuzz, no bigger than his head is now. But what an appetite that little bugger had! Well... *still* has LOL

And he was Persia's boyfriend. :)

> Still very polite, seeming to 'ask' before hopping up on the sofa next to me, and still taking a couple licks of an apple if I have one (Johnny Apllecat!), and is baby-twin sisfur Betty has been getting friendlier and friendlier, and still loves Pringles (she rather likes the sour cream & onion flavor). Don't worry, she only get tiny bits, as they are much too salty for her tiny self.
>
> the DH was out of town a few weeks ago, and since I was by myself, I decided I wanted some artery clogging fast food for dinner. Stopped by Steak and Shake for take-home. Had to pee when I got home, so put the drink and bag of food on the end table, and went to go pee. Get back to the end table and IttyBittyBetty had her head in the bag! Doesn't notice me back, so intent on her prey was she, and I grab her and pull her out (the shocked look on her face was priceless), and she had grabbed a mouthful of their ittybitty fries (about half a dozen)! I just laughed at her, and took them away. OK not all of them, I did let her have 1 or 2, but that bunch she had would have been way to salty and greasy for her! I distributed the others she had to a couple of the others that also like fries, and the dogs - can't forget the dogs!
>
> NL
> -----
> The ONE and ONLY lefthanded-pathetic-paranoid-psychotic-sarcastic-ditzy former-blonde in Bloomington!

LTNS! MMJ, you're a sight for sore eyes! I can't believe Weeble is 14.
Time flies.

It's too funny about Betty snagging some french fries out of the bag! I
can just picture the look on her face when you caught her. Surprise!

I do wish you'd come back and help keep this ng alive.

Jill

Lesley Madigan
September 17th 17, 11:43 PM
On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 12:20:34 AM UTC+1, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Sorry, I can't stand it.

You get used to it. I ignore most of it I just mostly scroll past the news feed and use the notifications to check if anyone has posted anything I might be interested on in any of the groups.

It's a tool-like a lot of people friends and family are now scattered all over the World so it means I can stay in touch with say my dad's sister who is on aged 80, a couple of weeks back someone I hadn't seen in 40 years got in touch so we were chatting about friends from back then and where they are now. one of my oldest friends, Lee, moved down under but comes back every couple of years or so, so he uses FB to organise meeting up with people and we all get together. Another friend a few years back started a group for people who used to go to a certain venue back in the 70's early 80's. That put me in touch with people once again and I made some new friends through it, 2 weeks' ago yesterday I was at the 11th gig organised off the back of that FB page.

I met one of my closest friend through an FB group he was a pillar of strength to me when I lost Dave always around to talk to when I was lonely and we have since met 3 times

As I say it's a tool and I have long since learnt to pick and choose with it

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Joe W Dee
September 18th 17, 12:47 AM
On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 18:43:44 -0400, Lesley Madigan wrote
(in >):

> On Friday, September 1, 2017 at 12:20:34 AM UTC+1, Jill McQuown wrote:
> > Sorry, I can't stand it.
> You get used to it. I ignore most of it I just mostly scroll past the news
> feed and use the notifications to check if anyone has posted anything I might
> be interested on in any of the groups.
>
> It's a tool-like a lot of people friends and family are now scattered all
> over the World so it means I can stay in touch with say my dad's sister who
> is on aged 80, a couple of weeks back someone I hadn't seen in 40 years got
> in touch so we were chatting about friends from back then and where they are
> now. one of my oldest friends, Lee, moved down under but comes back every
> couple of years or so, so he uses FB to organise meeting up with people and
> we all get together. Another friend a few years back started a group for
> people who used to go to a certain venue back in the 70's early 80's. That
> put me in touch with people once again and I made some new friends through
> it, 2 weeks' ago yesterday I was at the 11th gig organised off the back of
> that FB page.
>
> I met one of my closest friend through an FB group he was a pillar of
> strength to me when I lost Dave always around to talk to when I was lonely
> and we have since met 3 times
>
> As I say it's a tool and I have long since learnt to pick and choose with it
>
> Lesley
>
> Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

I haven't participated much lately although I was a regular contributor years
ago, and my two rescue brothers would be a good reason to chime in now and
then.

This topic interests me because Facebook is a love/hate relationship, but
entirely controllable, depending on who you choose to follow (not friend:
follow) and who you opt out of following.

And as Lesley said, being able to reconnect with friends and relatives from
years ago is a godsend. Cousins I hadn't seen in 50+ years, who we spent
every summer with, have resurfaced, along with years and years of wonderful
memories.

It is doable if you investigate how to control it.

--
Joe W Dee

cshenk
September 30th 17, 01:54 PM
jmcquown wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> Sorry, I can't stand it.
>
> Even with the "add on" Mishi suggested, it's an entirely too busy
> interface. I just want to talk to people I know and share stories
> and pics of our cats. I don't want to have to block ads and
> newsfeeds and all sorts of other crap and who is friends with who
> else. Arrgh!
>
> So, if you want to abandon usenet, fine. The usenet RPCA group may
> die if you do. I'll just talk with my friends about my cat and share
> stories and pictures via email. I don't live for social media. I do
> enjoy having online friends who like to share stories about their
> cats. Just not on Facebook.
>
> Jill

Same here Jill. I use facebook a bit now but for specific things, like
when a ship returned to home port (work related) and the wxrisk site
(weather specific to our part of the world).

I causally read this group at times and just remembered to come over to
post for names. I'll explain in a second post.