PDA

View Full Version : Jellicle Ball, 2017

cshenk
September 30th 17, 02:17 PM
Hi all! Sometime very long back, back enough that no one remaining
really remembers it except as historical trivia,
Rec.pets.cats.community (RPCC) and this group split off.

The two groups are very different now. RPCC is very much a storyboard'
group now where pet owners post 'as' their pets. Sounds strange but
it's also a lot of fun. Lots of little make believe adventures and
things like that. No, I'm not trolling for new members! You either
like that sort of thing or you don't. Welcome to drop in if you wish
and it's a polite place like here.

In addition to whatever other parties or whatnot that we might dream
up, is the annual Jellicle Ball. This year will be the 22nd event.
Officially it starts on 5 Oct and is being hosted by a tribe of lost
kitties in Antarctica. A key part of the ceremony is to read the names
of any pets (mostly cats and dogs but we've added ferrets and such
before) that have passed over the bridge this year (along with any
tributes to them that we may have).

Are there any pets from the people here who should be added to the
rolls? If so, I'll need them this weekend. Can reply here or to my
email.

Format we announce with is:
Garland, House of Rennie
Pixel, House of Abbey Cats

Basically name and what you want for house (many use their last or
first name).

Let me know!
Carol

--

jmcquown[_2_]
October 1st 17, 03:13 PM
On 9/30/2017 9:17 AM, cshenk wrote:
> Hi all! Sometime very long back, back enough that no one remaining
> really remembers it except as historical trivia,
> Rec.pets.cats.community (RPCC) and this group split off.

Hi Carol! I remember the split, don't exactly remember why. I do
recall being flamed once for posting there that it *felt like* Persia
(RB 2014) had a temp of 109° or some such high number. I was chastized
by someone who said if her temp was that high she'd be dead. Well duh!
I was merely pointing out how uncomfortable I was with her sleeping
right next to me. Like sleeping with a furry heating pad. That's when
someone told me about RPCA. I guess it really has been at least 20
years ago. Wow.

> The two groups are very different now. RPCC is very much a storyboard'
> group now where pet owners post 'as' their pets. Sounds strange but
> it's also a lot of fun. Lots of little make believe adventures and
> things like that. No, I'm not trolling for new members! You either
> like that sort of thing or you don't. Welcome to drop in if you wish
> and it's a polite place like here.

I don't care for "meow-speak" but see nothing about posting from the
cats' point of view. I doubt there are many people here on RPCA who
remember the adventures of 'The Mouser'. All the cats on the mythical
ship had a job to do. Persia was the cook. :)

> In addition to whatever other parties or whatnot that we might dream
> up, is the annual Jellicle Ball. This year will be the 22nd event.
> Officially it starts on 5 Oct and is being hosted by a tribe of lost
> kitties in Antarctica. A key part of the ceremony is to read the names
> of any pets (mostly cats and dogs but we've added ferrets and such
> before) that have passed over the bridge this year (along with any
> tributes to them that we may have).
>
> Are there any pets from the people here who should be added to the
> rolls? If so, I'll need them this weekend. Can reply here or to my
> email.
>
> Format we announce with is:
> Garland, House of Rennie
> Pixel, House of Abbey Cats
>
> Basically name and what you want for house (many use their last or
> first name).
>
> Let me know!
> Carol

It sounds sweet. Fortunately I have not lost any pets this year. :)

Jill

cshenk
October 3rd 17, 01:41 AM
jmcquown wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> On 9/30/2017 9:17 AM, cshenk wrote:
> > Hi all! Sometime very long back, back enough that no one remaining
> > really remembers it except as historical trivia,
> > Rec.pets.cats.community (RPCC) and this group split off.
> >
> Hi Carol! I remember the split, don't exactly remember why. I do
> recall being flamed once for posting there that it *felt like* Persia
> (RB 2014) had a temp of 109° or some such high number. I was
> chastized by someone who said if her temp was that high she'd be
> dead. Well duh! I was merely pointing out how uncomfortable I was
> with her sleeping right next to me. Like sleeping with a furry
> heating pad. That's when someone told me about RPCA. I guess it
> really has been at least 20 years ago. Wow.

Yeah! Pedates me. BTW, Persia was read there. Such a sweet lady.
Dunno on the flamers. Haven't seen a person there flame another best I
can recall ever.

We do have fun with the trolls though! This past year one wanted to
sell Huskie Puppies. We 'rescued' Clem and Cleo (for Pope Clementine
and Cleopatra) from the nasty doggie slavers and they in happy homes
but vacationing with Zoot, the Arctic Penguin just now (it's all just
fun make believe but the real note is there of saying fairwell to real
loved pets).

Another troll wanted to sell Parrots. We had 'Polly' escape in an
almost keystone kopper event and she moved to Parrot Island (Florida
place, lots of Parrots, real place) then is back for the event so she
can check out a bird that swims (Penguin).

I've found dealing with trolls works best if you have fun at their
expense but do not devolve to their level.

> > The two groups are very different now. RPCC is very much a
> > storyboard' group now where pet owners post 'as' their pets.
> > Sounds strange but it's also a lot of fun. Lots of little make
> > believe adventures and things like that. No, I'm not trolling for
> > new members! You either like that sort of thing or you don't.
> > Welcome to drop in if you wish and it's a polite place like here.
> >
> I don't care for "meow-speak" but see nothing about posting from the
> cats' point of view. I doubt there are many people here on RPCA who
> remember the adventures of 'The Mouser'. All the cats on the
> mythical ship had a job to do. Persia was the cook. :)

Grin, I do minimal 'meowie' speak. I we finally got a few who
literally unintelligible to ease up on that. (we did have a few getting
too extreme a few years ago).

> > In addition to whatever other parties or whatnot that we might dream
> > up, is the annual Jellicle Ball. This year will be the 22nd event.
> > Officially it starts on 5 Oct and is being hosted by a tribe of lost
> > kitties in Antarctica. A key part of the ceremony is to read the
> > names of any pets (mostly cats and dogs but we've added ferrets and
> > such before) that have passed over the bridge this year (along with
> > any tributes to them that we may have).
> >
> > Are there any pets from the people here who should be added to the
> > rolls? If so, I'll need them this weekend. Can reply here or to my
> > email.
> >
> > Format we announce with is:
> > Garland, House of Rennie
> > Pixel, House of Abbey Cats
> >
> > Basically name and what you want for house (many use their last or
> > first name).
> >
> > Let me know!
> > Carol
> >
> It sounds sweet. Fortunately I have not lost any pets this year. :)

THats good Jill! I've not lost any either here. Knocking on wood, my
little Iowna (Eye-Own-A ... beagle, car, house) is 15. Iowna is on
borrowed time now as a dog. She's roughly like a 22yo cat.

--

jmcquown[_2_]
October 4th 17, 09:53 PM
On 10/2/2017 8:41 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:
>
>> On 9/30/2017 9:17 AM, cshenk wrote:
>>> Hi all! Sometime very long back, back enough that no one remaining
>>> really remembers it except as historical trivia,
>>> Rec.pets.cats.community (RPCC) and this group split off.
>>>
>> Hi Carol! I remember the split, don't exactly remember why. I do
>> recall being flamed once for posting there that it *felt like* Persia
>> (RB 2014) had a temp of 109° or some such high number. I was
>> chastized by someone who said if her temp was that high she'd be
>> dead. Well duh! I was merely pointing out how uncomfortable I was
>> with her sleeping right next to me. Like sleeping with a furry
>> heating pad. That's when someone told me about RPCA. I guess it
>> really has been at least 20 years ago. Wow.
>
> Yeah! Pedates me. BTW, Persia was read there. Such a sweet lady.
> Dunno on the flamers. Haven't seen a person there flame another best I
> can recall ever.

That was the pre-split. I couldn't believe someone thought I believed
her temp was 109F. No sense of humor.

> We do have fun with the trolls though! This past year one wanted to
> sell Huskie Puppies. We 'rescued' Clem and Cleo (for Pope Clementine
> and Cleopatra) from the nasty doggie slavers and they in happy homes
> but vacationing with Zoot, the Arctic Penguin just now (it's all just
> fun make believe but the real note is there of saying fairwell to real
> loved pets).
>
> Another troll wanted to sell Parrots. We had 'Polly' escape in an
> almost keystone kopper event and she moved to Parrot Island (Florida
> place, lots of Parrots, real place) then is back for the event so she
> can check out a bird that swims (Penguin).
>
> I've found dealing with trolls works best if you have fun at their
> expense but do not devolve to their level.

That is (or was) the RPCA method of dealing with trolls. When they
started trolling, we'd delete their crap, change the subject line and
start posting recipes. :) It confused the heck out of them and they
just left when they realized they weren't getting a rise out of anyone.

>> I don't care for "meow-speak" but see nothing about posting from the
>> cats' point of view. I doubt there are many people here on RPCA who
>> remember the adventures of 'The Mouser'. All the cats on the
>> mythical ship had a job to do. Persia was the cook. :)
>
> Grin, I do minimal 'meowie' speak. I we finally got a few who
> literally unintelligible to ease up on that. (we did have a few getting
> too extreme a few years ago).

I Can Has Cheezburger was cute... for a while. :)

>>> In addition to whatever other parties or whatnot that we might dream
>>> up, is the annual Jellicle Ball. This year will be the 22nd event.
>>> Officially it starts on 5 Oct and is being hosted by a tribe of lost
>>> kitties in Antarctica. A key part of the ceremony is to read the
>>> names of any pets (mostly cats and dogs but we've added ferrets and
>>> such before) that have passed over the bridge this year (along with
>>> any tributes to them that we may have).
>>>
>>> Are there any pets from the people here who should be added to the
>>> rolls? If so, I'll need them this weekend. Can reply here or to my
>>> email.
>>>
>>> Format we announce with is:
>>> Garland, House of Rennie
>>> Pixel, House of Abbey Cats
>>>
>>> Basically name and what you want for house (many use their last or
>>> first name).
>>>
>>> Let me know!
>>> Carol
>>>
>> It sounds sweet. Fortunately I have not lost any pets this year. :)
>
> THats good Jill! I've not lost any either here. Knocking on wood, my
> little Iowna (Eye-Own-A ... beagle, car, house) is 15. Iowna is on
> borrowed time now as a dog. She's roughly like a 22yo cat.

Is Iowna the blind beagle I've heard you speak of? You know I'll send
out purrs for her.

Jill

cshenk
October 5th 17, 12:44 AM
jmcquown wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> On 10/2/2017 8:41 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> > > Hi Carol! I remember the split, don't exactly remember why. I do
> > > recall being flamed once for posting there that it *felt like*
> > > Persia (RB 2014) had a temp of 109° or some such high number. I
> > > was chastized by someone who said if her temp was that high she'd
> > > be dead. Well duh! I was merely pointing out how uncomfortable I
> > > was with her sleeping right next to me. Like sleeping with a
> > > furry heating pad. That's when someone told me about RPCA. I
> > > guess it really has been at least 20 years ago. Wow.
> >
> > Yeah! Pedates me. BTW, Persia was read there. Such a sweet lady.
> > Dunno on the flamers. Haven't seen a person there flame another
> > best I can recall ever.
> >
> That was the pre-split. I couldn't believe someone thought I
> believed her temp was 109F. No sense of humor.
>
> > We do have fun with the trolls though! This past year one wanted to
> > sell Huskie Puppies. We 'rescued' Clem and Cleo (for Pope
> > Clementine and Cleopatra) from the nasty doggie slavers and they in
> > happy homes but vacationing with Zoot, the Arctic Penguin just now
> > (it's all just fun make believe but the real note is there of
> > saying fairwell to real loved pets).
> >
> > Another troll wanted to sell Parrots. We had 'Polly' escape in an
> > almost keystone kopper event and she moved to Parrot Island (Florida
> > place, lots of Parrots, real place) then is back for the event so
> > she can check out a bird that swims (Penguin).
> >
> > I've found dealing with trolls works best if you have fun at their
> > expense but do not devolve to their level.
> >
> That is (or was) the RPCA method of dealing with trolls. When they
> started trolling, we'd delete their crap, change the subject line and
> start posting recipes. :) It confused the heck out of them and they
> just left when they realized they weren't getting a rise out of
> anyone.
>
> > > I don't care for "meow-speak" but see nothing about posting from
> > > the cats' point of view. I doubt there are many people here on
> > > RPCA who remember the adventures of 'The Mouser'. All the cats
> > > on the mythical ship had a job to do. Persia was the cook. :)
> >
> > Grin, I do minimal 'meowie' speak. I we finally got a few who
> > literally unintelligible to ease up on that. (we did have a few
> > getting too extreme a few years ago).
> >
> I Can Has Cheezburger was cute... for a while. :)

> > > It sounds sweet. Fortunately I have not lost any pets this year.
> > > :)
> >
> > THats good Jill! I've not lost any either here. Knocking on wood,
> > my little Iowna (Eye-Own-A ... beagle, car, house) is 15. Iowna is
> > on borrowed time now as a dog. She's roughly like a 22yo cat.
>
> Is Iowna the blind beagle I've heard you speak of? You know I'll
> send out purrs for her.
>
> Jill

Yes, Iowna is my blind beagle. I guess we are wierd to some people. We
deliberately adopt dogs that no one else will. Blind dogs are normally
only adopted by one who has had one and knows how hard it is to home
them. We keep to 2 dog and one cat (fits our finances for the higher
medical bills for older pets) and look for age 11 and up with medical
issues.

Iowna now has a bit of doggie alzheimers which is not unusual at her
age. I have to laugh though as she's a previous show dog and even now
it shows as she can take off her own thunder shirt and any diaper type
we have tried. She's comfortable though and still loving life between
her naps. We got her 4 years ago age 11 (blind age 9).

My cat, Daisy-chan is still going strong too at vet estimate of age 18
(may be a older, age based on how long we have had her and face-fat
depletion). She may make Persias age?

Cash, my other dog cant be less than 10 now.

--

Joy[_3_]
October 5th 17, 12:54 AM
On 10/4/2017 4:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

>>> Yeah! Pedates me. BTW, Persia was read there. Such a sweet lady.
>>> Dunno on the flamers. Haven't seen a person there flame another
>>> best I can recall ever.
>>>
>> That was the pre-split. I couldn't believe someone thought I
>> believed her temp was 109F. No sense of humor.
>>
>>> We do have fun with the trolls though! This past year one wanted to
>>> sell Huskie Puppies. We 'rescued' Clem and Cleo (for Pope
>>> Clementine and Cleopatra) from the nasty doggie slavers and they in
>>> happy homes but vacationing with Zoot, the Arctic Penguin just now
>>> (it's all just fun make believe but the real note is there of
>>> saying fairwell to real loved pets).
>>>
>>> Another troll wanted to sell Parrots. We had 'Polly' escape in an
>>> almost keystone kopper event and she moved to Parrot Island (Florida
>>> place, lots of Parrots, real place) then is back for the event so
>>> she can check out a bird that swims (Penguin).
>>>
>>> I've found dealing with trolls works best if you have fun at their
>>> expense but do not devolve to their level.
>>>
>> That is (or was) the RPCA method of dealing with trolls. When they
>> started trolling, we'd delete their crap, change the subject line and
>> start posting recipes. :) It confused the heck out of them and they
>> just left when they realized they weren't getting a rise out of
>> anyone.

>>> Grin, I do minimal 'meowie' speak. I we finally got a few who
>>> literally unintelligible to ease up on that. (we did have a few
>>> getting too extreme a few years ago).
>>>
>> I Can Has Cheezburger was cute... for a while. :)

>>> THats good Jill! I've not lost any either here. Knocking on wood,
>>> my little Iowna (Eye-Own-A ... beagle, car, house) is 15. Iowna is
>>> on borrowed time now as a dog. She's roughly like a 22yo cat.
>>
>> Is Iowna the blind beagle I've heard you speak of? You know I'll
>> send out purrs for her.
>>
>> Jill
>
> Yes, Iowna is my blind beagle. I guess we are wierd to some people. We
> deliberately adopt dogs that no one else will. Blind dogs are normally
> only adopted by one who has had one and knows how hard it is to home
> them. We keep to 2 dog and one cat (fits our finances for the higher
> medical bills for older pets) and look for age 11 and up with medical
> issues.
>
> Iowna now has a bit of doggie alzheimers which is not unusual at her
> age. I have to laugh though as she's a previous show dog and even now
> it shows as she can take off her own thunder shirt and any diaper type
> we have tried. She's comfortable though and still loving life between
> her naps. We got her 4 years ago age 11 (blind age 9).
>
> My cat, Daisy-chan is still going strong too at vet estimate of age 18
> (may be a older, age based on how long we have had her and face-fat
> depletion). She may make Persias age?
>
> Cash, my other dog cant be less than 10 now.

Congratulations to you for rescuing dogs nobody else wants. My hat is
off to you (or it would be if I wore one).

cshenk
October 5th 17, 02:36 AM
Joy wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> On 10/4/2017 4:44 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:

> > > That was the pre-split. I couldn't believe someone thought I
> > > believed her temp was 109F. No sense of humor.

> > > That is (or was) the RPCA method of dealing with trolls. When
> > > they started trolling, we'd delete their crap, change the subject
> > > line and start posting recipes. :) It confused the heck out of
> > > them and they just left when they realized they weren't getting a
> > > rise out of anyone.

> > > I Can Has Cheezburger was cute... for a while. :)

> > > Is Iowna the blind beagle I've heard you speak of? You know I'll
> > > send out purrs for her.
> > >
> > > Jill
> >
> > Yes, Iowna is my blind beagle. I guess we are wierd to some people.
> > We deliberately adopt dogs that no one else will. Blind dogs are
> > normally only adopted by one who has had one and knows how hard it
> > is to home them. We keep to 2 dog and one cat (fits our finances
> > for the higher medical bills for older pets) and look for age 11
> > and up with medical issues.
> >
> > Iowna now has a bit of doggie alzheimers which is not unusual at her
> > age. I have to laugh though as she's a previous show dog and even
> > now it shows as she can take off her own thunder shirt and any
> > diaper type we have tried. She's comfortable though and still
> > loving life between her naps. We got her 4 years ago age 11 (blind
> > age 9).
> >
> > My cat, Daisy-chan is still going strong too at vet estimate of age
> > 18 (may be a older, age based on how long we have had her and
> > face-fat depletion). She may make Persias age?
> >
> > Cash, my other dog cant be less than 10 now.
>
> Congratulations to you for rescuing dogs nobody else wants. My hat
> is off to you (or it would be if I wore one).

Grin, Daisy-chan (cat) is just as unique but has to be an only cat as
long as she lives.

Her full story can only be surmised. She was found in the wild, with a
final dying (starvation) kitten. She'd obviously had several years of
kittens. There are no records of the final kitten. She was unable to
walk when found and not but 5-6lbs left of her.

Lovely solid white with green eyes, she got into local no kill then
they figured out she was a feral from behavior.

The most charming bit on the rap sheet she had was 'will actively
attack toddlers, no children in the house allowed'. Less charming
items were 'warn the vet to wear a face mask like Jason Voorhis (movie
note)', cat killer, and 'must sign a release and no damage the cat does
to people in your home are our responsibility, this cat is not safe'.

Positive trait: Likes dogs (only thing that shows she may have had
human interaction).

Adopted 2008 age believed to be 8-12 then. Still gets free nail
clipping for vet safety.

Have a laugh but even if she had no medical issues, she fits our sense
of 'no one will adopt her' so we did.

--

Joy[_3_]
October 5th 17, 06:09 AM