PDA

View Full Version : A stuck kitty

Takayuki
October 18th 17, 12:22 AM
When I was getting out of the shower yesterday, I heard a repeated, throaty
"Owwwwwww". I wasn't concerned, as it sounded like what Buster occasionally
does while patrolling the hallways.

But then, I noticed that it was coming from where my desk was, which was
odd, because that's one of Buster's quiet areas, where he naps and plays,
but isn't vocal.

So I went to investigate what was going on, and it wasn't Buster who was
making the noise, but Dot!

Dot had somehow managed to get her forepaw and "arm" wedged tightly between
the arm and seat of an office chair. It was forcing her to remain in a
standing position, and because it was a revolving chair, she couldn't get
enough leverage to pull free.

I was dumbstruck for a moment at the sight of Dot stuck to the revolving
chair, howling as she hopped around and around in circles like some
nightmarish maypole or merry-go-round.

Dot calmed down immediately when I grabbed her, and even in this state, was
trying to nuzzle my hand.

Her extended spinning dance seemed to have made her woozy, and I followed
her for a while as she stumbled around like a little drunk kitty. But she
perked up quickly, and it was clear she was ok.

Dot turned 18 years old last month. But she still has plenty enough energy
that her strange, inadvertent antics keep me on my toes.

Joy[_3_]
October 18th 17, 12:37 AM
On 10/17/2017 4:22 PM, Takayuki wrote:
> When I was getting out of the shower yesterday, I heard a repeated, throaty
> "Owwwwwww". I wasn't concerned, as it sounded like what Buster occasionally
> does while patrolling the hallways.
>
> But then, I noticed that it was coming from where my desk was, which was
> odd, because that's one of Buster's quiet areas, where he naps and plays,
> but isn't vocal.
>
> So I went to investigate what was going on, and it wasn't Buster who was
> making the noise, but Dot!
>
> Dot had somehow managed to get her forepaw and "arm" wedged tightly between
> the arm and seat of an office chair. It was forcing her to remain in a
> standing position, and because it was a revolving chair, she couldn't get
> enough leverage to pull free.
>
> I was dumbstruck for a moment at the sight of Dot stuck to the revolving
> chair, howling as she hopped around and around in circles like some
> nightmarish maypole or merry-go-round.
>
> Dot calmed down immediately when I grabbed her, and even in this state, was
> trying to nuzzle my hand.
>
> Her extended spinning dance seemed to have made her woozy, and I followed
> her for a while as she stumbled around like a little drunk kitty. But she
> perked up quickly, and it was clear she was ok.
>
> Dot turned 18 years old last month. But she still has plenty enough energy
> that her strange, inadvertent antics keep me on my toes.

I'm glad you were able to rescue her. It's wonderful that she calmed
down when you grabbed her. My cats usually struggle when I hold onto them.

Takayuki
October 18th 17, 12:46 AM
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 16:37:52 -0700, Joy > wrote:
>I'm glad you were able to rescue her. It's wonderful that she calmed
>down when you grabbed her. My cats usually struggle when I hold onto them.

Buster's struggly. :) He only calms down when he has his chest and tummy
well supported, such as by draping him over your shoulder or arm. Then, he
becomes limp like a fur stole.

Joy[_3_]
October 18th 17, 01:36 AM
On 10/17/2017 4:46 PM, Takayuki wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 16:37:52 -0700, Joy > wrote:
>> I'm glad you were able to rescue her. It's wonderful that she calmed
>> down when you grabbed her. My cats usually struggle when I hold onto them.
>
> Buster's struggly. :) He only calms down when he has his chest and tummy
> well supported, such as by draping him over your shoulder or arm. Then, he
> becomes limp like a fur stole.

They're all so different, aren't they? I've had cats who would let you
hold them if you were sitting down, but not if you were standing. Rudy
would only let you hold him if you were standing. Neither of the ones I
have now want to be held in any position.

jmcquown[_2_]
October 18th 17, 04:26 PM
On 10/17/2017 8:36 PM, Joy wrote:
> On 10/17/2017 4:46 PM, Takayuki wrote:
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 16:37:52 -0700, Joy > wrote:
>>> I'm glad you were able to rescue her.* It's wonderful that she calmed
>>> down when you grabbed her.* My cats usually struggle when I hold onto
>>> them.
>>
>> Buster's struggly. :) He only calms down when he has his chest and tummy
>> well supported, such as by draping him over your shoulder or arm.
>> Then, he
>> becomes limp like a fur stole.
>>

> They're all so different, aren't they?* I've had cats who would let you
> hold them if you were sitting down, but not if you were standing.* Rudy
> would only let you hold him if you were standing.* Neither of the ones I
> have now want to be held in any position.

I'm only on my second cat. I feel like such a newbie. ;) But hey,
Persia lived 16 years through a myriad of health problems. And I've had
Buffy for 2-1/2 years now. I've read and learned a lot about cats here
over the years.

Yes, they're all different. Unpredictability is what makes them so
wonderfully kooky. :)

Persia didn't like to be picked up. So I didn't. But she did stick to
me like glue (a lap cat and bed hog) when I was on the couch watching TV
or reading. She did not jump up on my lap when I was sitting at the
computer.

I wasn't quite sure what to make of Buffy when I first adopted her.
Having only had one cat I wasn't sure what to expect. She came from a
home where she'd been bullied by another cat. I was told she was shy.
(At first she kept expecting another cat to jump out at her.) She's
definitely not shy anymore. :)

A few days after she got comfortable in her new home, I was walking
towards the computer. Buffy was sort of trotting along beside me. She
did a little leap next to my leg. Then again. I deduced this to mean,
"You want to be picked up?" I scooped her up and she purred.

This does *not* mean she wants me walk around holding her. LOL It was
just a moment where she communicated to me, I trust you. :)

Jill

dgk
October 19th 17, 04:34 PM
On Tue, 17 Oct 2017 19:22:32 -0400, Takayuki >
wrote:

>When I was getting out of the shower yesterday, I heard a repeated, throaty
>"Owwwwwww". I wasn't concerned, as it sounded like what Buster occasionally
>does while patrolling the hallways.
>
>But then, I noticed that it was coming from where my desk was, which was
>odd, because that's one of Buster's quiet areas, where he naps and plays,
>but isn't vocal.
>
>So I went to investigate what was going on, and it wasn't Buster who was
>making the noise, but Dot!
>
>Dot had somehow managed to get her forepaw and "arm" wedged tightly between
>the arm and seat of an office chair. It was forcing her to remain in a
>standing position, and because it was a revolving chair, she couldn't get
>enough leverage to pull free.
>
>I was dumbstruck for a moment at the sight of Dot stuck to the revolving
>chair, howling as she hopped around and around in circles like some
>nightmarish maypole or merry-go-round.
>
>Dot calmed down immediately when I grabbed her, and even in this state, was
>trying to nuzzle my hand.
>
>Her extended spinning dance seemed to have made her woozy, and I followed
>her for a while as she stumbled around like a little drunk kitty. But she
>perked up quickly, and it was clear she was ok.
>
>Dot turned 18 years old last month. But she still has plenty enough energy
>that her strange, inadvertent antics keep me on my toes.

That's a new one. It's good you were around for the rescue.