PDA

View Full Version : Nipsy going for an operation


dgk
November 11th 17, 02:38 AM
His left ear canal is blocked by something, maybe cancer, maybe a big
polyp. I know that he has something in his lungs based on a month old
X-Ray, but he's had issues with his left ear for years and the vet
thinks it could be a polyp. Whatever it is, it's blocking us from
treating an infection underneath it and if nothing is done the
infection will continue to hurt him and eventually travel into the
inner ear and cause massive problems. He's already scratched at it so
hard that all the hair behind that ear is gone. I have to do
something.

My vet will do surgery on Monday to cut away the growth. Nipsy is 16.
I turned down doing an EKG. It would cost $100 or so and will tell us
whether Nipsy is likely to survive anesthesia. But I don't see that I
have any other option than to do surgery so why throw away $100?

Well, I could take him to the specialty surgeon. My vet says that the
specialty surgeon will do a more complete job, getting out all of the
growth, but if it's cancer that doesn't really matter since he very
will might have it in the lungs already and there's no way to be sure
that you get all the cancer cells. And, of course, the specialty vet
will charge over $2000 with no better chance of Nipsy surviving the
surgery.

So, send some purrs Nipsy's way please. I'll let you know how it goes.

MaryL
November 11th 17, 05:31 AM
On 11/10/2017 7:38 PM, dgk wrote:
> His left ear canal is blocked by something, maybe cancer, maybe a big
> polyp. I know that he has something in his lungs based on a month old
> X-Ray, but he's had issues with his left ear for years and the vet
> thinks it could be a polyp. Whatever it is, it's blocking us from
> treating an infection underneath it and if nothing is done the
> infection will continue to hurt him and eventually travel into the
> inner ear and cause massive problems. He's already scratched at it so
> hard that all the hair behind that ear is gone. I have to do
> something.
>
> My vet will do surgery on Monday to cut away the growth. Nipsy is 16.
> I turned down doing an EKG. It would cost $100 or so and will tell us
> whether Nipsy is likely to survive anesthesia. But I don't see that I
> have any other option than to do surgery so why throw away $100?
>
> Well, I could take him to the specialty surgeon. My vet says that the
> specialty surgeon will do a more complete job, getting out all of the
> growth, but if it's cancer that doesn't really matter since he very
> will might have it in the lungs already and there's no way to be sure
> that you get all the cancer cells. And, of course, the specialty vet
> will charge over $2000 with no better chance of Nipsy surviving the
> surgery.
>
> So, send some purrs Nipsy's way please. I'll let you know how it goes.
>

....Sending purrs for Nipsy...and for you. I hope you will receive a
very good report following Nipsy's surgery. It's always very difficult
to make a serious decision for our beloved pets.

MaryL

jmcquown[_2_]
November 11th 17, 10:36 PM
On 11/10/2017 8:38 PM, dgk wrote:
> His left ear canal is blocked by something, maybe cancer, maybe a big
> polyp. I know that he has something in his lungs based on a month old
> X-Ray, but he's had issues with his left ear for years and the vet
> thinks it could be a polyp. Whatever it is, it's blocking us from
> treating an infection underneath it and if nothing is done the
> infection will continue to hurt him and eventually travel into the
> inner ear and cause massive problems. He's already scratched at it so
> hard that all the hair behind that ear is gone. I have to do
> something.
>
> My vet will do surgery on Monday to cut away the growth. Nipsy is 16.
> I turned down doing an EKG. It would cost $100 or so and will tell us
> whether Nipsy is likely to survive anesthesia. But I don't see that I
> have any other option than to do surgery so why throw away $100?
>
> Well, I could take him to the specialty surgeon. My vet says that the
> specialty surgeon will do a more complete job, getting out all of the
> growth, but if it's cancer that doesn't really matter since he very
> will might have it in the lungs already and there's no way to be sure
> that you get all the cancer cells. And, of course, the specialty vet
> will charge over $2000 with no better chance of Nipsy surviving the
> surgery.
>
> So, send some purrs Nipsy's way please. I'll let you know how it goes.
>
Purrs on the way for it to be a simple polyp and nothing more.

Jill

dgk
November 14th 17, 04:48 AM
On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 17:58:43 +0000 (GMT), Judith Latham
> wrote:

>In article >,
> dgk > wrote:
>> His left ear canal is blocked by something, maybe cancer, maybe a big
>> polyp. I know that he has something in his lungs based on a month old
>> X-Ray, but he's had issues with his left ear for years and the vet
>> thinks it could be a polyp. Whatever it is, it's blocking us from
>> treating an infection underneath it and if nothing is done the
>> infection will continue to hurt him and eventually travel into the
>> inner ear and cause massive problems. He's already scratched at it so
>> hard that all the hair behind that ear is gone. I have to do
>> something.
>
>> My vet will do surgery on Monday to cut away the growth. Nipsy is 16.
>> I turned down doing an EKG. It would cost $100 or so and will tell us
>> whether Nipsy is likely to survive anesthesia. But I don't see that I
>> have any other option than to do surgery so why throw away $100?
>
>> Well, I could take him to the specialty surgeon. My vet says that the
>> specialty surgeon will do a more complete job, getting out all of the
>> growth, but if it's cancer that doesn't really matter since he very
>> will might have it in the lungs already and there's no way to be sure
>> that you get all the cancer cells. And, of course, the specialty vet
>> will charge over $2000 with no better chance of Nipsy surviving the
>> surgery.
>
>> So, send some purrs Nipsy's way please. I'll let you know how it goes.
>
>How is Nipsy? How did the op. go?
>
>Judith

Good and bad. He survived and the vet removed about an inch of stuff
that was clogging the ear. The bad news is that the growth extends
into the ear canal and it would take the specialist to get it all out,
and the vet doesn't recommend doing that for a 16 yo cat. Still, it
means that we probably can cure the infection that's been causing the
immediate problem

So Nipsy is wearing the soft collar and is not happy about that, but I
am to give him a liquid pain killer three times a day and rinse his
ear once per day. Getting him out from under the bed is tough at the
moment but that should get better as he recovers.

I don't know what the growth was but the vet is not sure that it's
cancer, so I'm just going to see how it progresses. He's had problems
with that ear for years so I'm leaning against the cancer and guessing
that it's something more benign.

I'm having a fence installed around my yard so the cats won't be able
to get out, and it looks like Nipsy will at least get a chance to roam
a small part of the outdoors, and I'm glad about that.

Thanks for the purrs everyone, they clearly helped.

jmcquown[_2_]
November 18th 17, 03:42 PM
On 11/13/2017 10:48 PM, dgk wrote:
> Good and bad. He survived and the vet removed about an inch of stuff
> that was clogging the ear. The bad news is that the growth extends
> into the ear canal and it would take the specialist to get it all out,
> and the vet doesn't recommend doing that for a 16 yo cat. Still, it
> means that we probably can cure the infection that's been causing the
> immediate problem
>
> So Nipsy is wearing the soft collar and is not happy about that, but I
> am to give him a liquid pain killer three times a day and rinse his
> ear once per day. Getting him out from under the bed is tough at the
> moment but that should get better as he recovers.
>
> I don't know what the growth was but the vet is not sure that it's
> cancer, so I'm just going to see how it progresses. He's had problems
> with that ear for years so I'm leaning against the cancer and guessing
> that it's something more benign.
>
> I'm having a fence installed around my yard so the cats won't be able
> to get out, and it looks like Nipsy will at least get a chance to roam
> a small part of the outdoors, and I'm glad about that.
>
> Thanks for the purrs everyone, they clearly helped.

I'm glad for the good news. Purrs continue for Nipsy and for you.

Jill

dgk
November 21st 17, 11:08 PM
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:42:32 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 11/13/2017 10:48 PM, dgk wrote:
>> Good and bad. He survived and the vet removed about an inch of stuff
>> that was clogging the ear. The bad news is that the growth extends
>> into the ear canal and it would take the specialist to get it all out,
>> and the vet doesn't recommend doing that for a 16 yo cat. Still, it
>> means that we probably can cure the infection that's been causing the
>> immediate problem
>>
>> So Nipsy is wearing the soft collar and is not happy about that, but I
>> am to give him a liquid pain killer three times a day and rinse his
>> ear once per day. Getting him out from under the bed is tough at the
>> moment but that should get better as he recovers.
>>
>> I don't know what the growth was but the vet is not sure that it's
>> cancer, so I'm just going to see how it progresses. He's had problems
>> with that ear for years so I'm leaning against the cancer and guessing
>> that it's something more benign.
>>
>> I'm having a fence installed around my yard so the cats won't be able
>> to get out, and it looks like Nipsy will at least get a chance to roam
>> a small part of the outdoors, and I'm glad about that.
>>
>> Thanks for the purrs everyone, they clearly helped.
>
>I'm glad for the good news. Purrs continue for Nipsy and for you.
>
>Jill

Follow up visit was today, and he's doing ok. The ear is healing
nicely but he has to wear the collar for another week.We'll see the
vet again next week and hopefully the collar comes off.

dgk
November 28th 17, 06:13 AM
On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 14:51:30 +0000 (GMT), Judith Latham
> wrote:

>In article >,
> dgk > wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:42:32 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>
>> >On 11/13/2017 10:48 PM, dgk wrote:
>> >> Good and bad. He survived and the vet removed about an inch of stuff
>> >> that was clogging the ear. The bad news is that the growth extends
>> >> into the ear canal and it would take the specialist to get it all out,
>> >> and the vet doesn't recommend doing that for a 16 yo cat. Still, it
>> >> means that we probably can cure the infection that's been causing the
>> >> immediate problem
>> >>
>> >> So Nipsy is wearing the soft collar and is not happy about that, but I
>> >> am to give him a liquid pain killer three times a day and rinse his
>> >> ear once per day. Getting him out from under the bed is tough at the
>> >> moment but that should get better as he recovers.
>> >>
>> >> I don't know what the growth was but the vet is not sure that it's
>> >> cancer, so I'm just going to see how it progresses. He's had problems
>> >> with that ear for years so I'm leaning against the cancer and guessing
>> >> that it's something more benign.
>> >>
>> >> I'm having a fence installed around my yard so the cats won't be able
>> >> to get out, and it looks like Nipsy will at least get a chance to roam
>> >> a small part of the outdoors, and I'm glad about that.
>> >>
>> >> Thanks for the purrs everyone, they clearly helped.
>> >
>> >I'm glad for the good news. Purrs continue for Nipsy and for you.
>> >
>> >Jill
>
>> Follow up visit was today, and he's doing ok. The ear is healing
>> nicely but he has to wear the collar for another week.We'll see the
>> vet again next week and hopefully the collar comes off.
>
>That's good news. Although I wouldn't think he thinks the collar is good
>news. purr for all to continue to go ok.
>
>Judith

Yes, and the collar is one of those things that I really think is
torture for them. If it's necessary then I have no choice, but I don't
see him going for the ear at all and it's keeping him from grooming.
So I took it off two days ago and I still don't see him attacking the
ear at all.

Well, the vet appointment is tomorrow - well today since it's after
midnight in Florida. I suspect the vet won't be too displeased as long
as Nipsy is doing ok.