PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrr!


jmcquown[_2_]
December 6th 17, 05:52 PM
Have you ever had this happen? Buffy loves a particular brand of dry
food. It's the store brand - Publix *premium*. Good quality food. In
a side by side comparison with Blue Buffalo brand it ticked all the same
boxes. The first ingredient was chicken, second brown rice and it
contained cranberries for bladder health. Buffy loved it!

She gets fed wet food with a little dry on the side. Apparently the
store has started stocking more brand name foods (e.g. Rachel Ray's
Nutrish). They're ridiculously expensive and come in (equally
ridiculous) tiny bags.

I know they aren't just out of stock because I couldn't find a spot
where the 7.5 lb. bag might fit on the shelf. That was the perfect size
bag, too, because I have a sealed storage container for her dry food
that can hold almost 10 lbs. of dry kibble. It worked out perfectly!

I stood in the aise reading ingredients lists on bag after bag. I
finally settled on Purina One Indoor Advantage. First ingredient
turkey, second rice. 3.5 lb. bag. We'll give it a try. If she likes
it I'll have to start buying two bags at a time (@ $7.81 each).

It seems every time I find a brand of *anything* (not just cat food) it
gets discontinued. <sigh> When it comes to my beloved Buffy, I prefer
not to mess around when it comes to her food. But I'm also not willing
to pay $17 for a small bag of cat food. Thanks for letting me vent. :)

Jill

Ann
December 7th 17, 02:27 PM
On 12/6/2017 12:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Have you ever had this happen?┬* Buffy loves a particular brand of dry
> food.┬* It's the store brand - Publix *premium*.┬* Good quality food.┬* In
> a side by side comparison with Blue Buffalo brand it ticked all the same
> boxes.┬* The first ingredient was chicken, second brown rice and it
> contained cranberries for bladder health.┬* Buffy loved it!
>
> She gets fed wet food with a little dry on the side.┬* Apparently the
> store has started stocking more brand name foods (e.g. Rachel Ray's
> Nutrish).┬* They're ridiculously expensive and come in (equally
> ridiculous) tiny bags.
>
> I know they aren't just out of stock because I couldn't find a spot
> where the 7.5 lb. bag might fit on the shelf.┬* That was the perfect size
> bag, too, because I have a sealed storage container for her dry food
> that can hold almost 10 lbs. of dry kibble.┬* It worked out perfectly!
>
> I stood in the aise reading ingredients lists on bag after bag.┬* I
> finally settled on Purina One Indoor Advantage.┬* First ingredient
> turkey, second rice.┬* 3.5 lb. bag.┬* We'll give it a try.┬* If she likes
> it I'll have to start buying two bags at a time (@ $7.81 each).
>
> It seems every time I find a brand of *anything* (not just cat food) it
> gets discontinued. <sigh>┬* When it comes to my beloved Buffy, I prefer
> not to mess around when it comes to her food.┬* But I'm also not willing
> to pay $17 for a small bag of cat food.┬* Thanks for letting me vent. :)
>
> Jill

I have run into the same problem with cat food being discontinued.

Ann

Mishi[_2_]
December 7th 17, 03:10 PM
On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 12:52:28 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
> Have you ever had this happen? Buffy loves a particular brand of dry
> food. It's the store brand - Publix *premium*. Good quality food. In
> a side by side comparison with Blue Buffalo brand it ticked all the same
> boxes. The first ingredient was chicken, second brown rice and it
> contained cranberries for bladder health. Buffy loved it!
>
> She gets fed wet food with a little dry on the side. Apparently the
> store has started stocking more brand name foods (e.g. Rachel Ray's
> Nutrish). They're ridiculously expensive and come in (equally
> ridiculous) tiny bags.
>
> I know they aren't just out of stock because I couldn't find a spot
> where the 7.5 lb. bag might fit on the shelf. That was the perfect size
> bag, too, because I have a sealed storage container for her dry food
> that can hold almost 10 lbs. of dry kibble. It worked out perfectly!
>
> I stood in the aise reading ingredients lists on bag after bag. I
> finally settled on Purina One Indoor Advantage. First ingredient
> turkey, second rice. 3.5 lb. bag. We'll give it a try. If she likes
> it I'll have to start buying two bags at a time (@ $7.81 each).
>
> It seems every time I find a brand of *anything* (not just cat food) it
> gets discontinued. <sigh> When it comes to my beloved Buffy, I prefer
> not to mess around when it comes to her food. But I'm also not willing
> to pay $17 for a small bag of cat food. Thanks for letting me vent. :)
>
> Jill

From the website DogFoodAdvisor.com: This is what Publix had to say:
Our pet food is produced here in the US by Mars Petcare in TN. The manufacturer informed me that they source their ingredients from the United States using suppliers located near their manufacturing facility when possible.

I would look into one of their other types of food including the following: ROYAL CANIN┬«, WHISKAS┬«, NUTRO┬«, SHEBA┬«, DREAMIESÔäó, Eukanuba, IAMS,

jmcquown[_2_]
December 7th 17, 04:01 PM
On 12/7/2017 9:27 AM, ann wrote:
> On 12/6/2017 12:52 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Have you ever had this happen?┬* Buffy loves a particular brand of dry
>> food.┬* It's the store brand - Publix *premium*.┬* Good quality food.
>> In a side by side comparison with Blue Buffalo brand it ticked all the
>> same boxes.┬* The first ingredient was chicken, second brown rice and
>> it contained cranberries for bladder health.┬* Buffy loved it!
>>
>> She gets fed wet food with a little dry on the side.┬* Apparently the
>> store has started stocking more brand name foods (e.g. Rachel Ray's
>> Nutrish).┬* They're ridiculously expensive and come in (equally
>> ridiculous) tiny bags.
>>
>> I know they aren't just out of stock because I couldn't find a spot
>> where the 7.5 lb. bag might fit on the shelf.┬* That was the perfect
>> size bag, too, because I have a sealed storage container for her dry
>> food that can hold almost 10 lbs. of dry kibble.┬* It worked out
>> perfectly!
>>
>> I stood in the aise reading ingredients lists on bag after bag.┬* I
>> finally settled on Purina One Indoor Advantage.┬* First ingredient
>> turkey, second rice.┬* 3.5 lb. bag.┬* We'll give it a try.┬* If she likes
>> it I'll have to start buying two bags at a time (@ $7.81 each).
>>
>> It seems every time I find a brand of *anything* (not just cat food)
>> it gets discontinued. <sigh>┬* When it comes to my beloved Buffy, I
>> prefer not to mess around when it comes to her food.┬* But I'm also not
>> willing to pay $17 for a small bag of cat food.┬* Thanks for letting me
>> vent. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> I have run into the same problem with cat food being discontinued.
>
> Ann

I wonder what people who have fussy cats do when that happens? I'm
pretty sure Buffy won't mind the switch but while I was standing there
reading labels a woman told me her cat will only eat one brand.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_]
December 7th 17, 04:13 PM
On 12/7/2017 10:10 AM, Mishi wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 6, 2017 at 12:52:28 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:
>> Have you ever had this happen? Buffy loves a particular brand of dry
>> food. It's the store brand - Publix *premium*. Good quality food. In
>> a side by side comparison with Blue Buffalo brand it ticked all the same
>> boxes. The first ingredient was chicken, second brown rice and it
>> contained cranberries for bladder health. Buffy loved it!
>>
>> She gets fed wet food with a little dry on the side. Apparently the
>> store has started stocking more brand name foods (e.g. Rachel Ray's
>> Nutrish). They're ridiculously expensive and come in (equally
>> ridiculous) tiny bags.
>>
>> I know they aren't just out of stock because I couldn't find a spot
>> where the 7.5 lb. bag might fit on the shelf. That was the perfect size
>> bag, too, because I have a sealed storage container for her dry food
>> that can hold almost 10 lbs. of dry kibble. It worked out perfectly!
>>
>> I stood in the aise reading ingredients lists on bag after bag. I
>> finally settled on Purina One Indoor Advantage. First ingredient
>> turkey, second rice. 3.5 lb. bag. We'll give it a try. If she likes
>> it I'll have to start buying two bags at a time (@ $7.81 each).
>>
>> It seems every time I find a brand of *anything* (not just cat food) it
>> gets discontinued. <sigh> When it comes to my beloved Buffy, I prefer
>> not to mess around when it comes to her food. But I'm also not willing
>> to pay $17 for a small bag of cat food. Thanks for letting me vent. :)
>>
>> Jill
>
> From the website DogFoodAdvisor.com: This is what Publix had to say:
> Our pet food is produced here in the US by Mars Petcare in TN. The manufacturer informed me that they source their ingredients from the United States using suppliers located near their manufacturing facility when possible.
>
> I would look into one of their other types of food including the following: ROYAL CANIN┬«, WHISKAS┬«, NUTRO┬«, SHEBA┬«, DREAMIESÔäó, Eukanuba, IAMS,
>
Thanks Mishi. :) She does like the Sheba wet food (Perfect Portions
really is apt) but I didn't see any Sheba dry cat food on the shelf. :(
I'm sure she won't be picky about the Purina One Indoor Advantage. I
just get irritated when something she likes is suddenly not available.

Jill

Mishi[_2_]
December 7th 17, 04:45 PM
> Thanks Mishi. :) She does like the Sheba wet food (Perfect Portions
> really is apt) but I didn't see any Sheba dry cat food on the shelf. :(
> I'm sure she won't be picky about the Purina One Indoor Advantage. I
> just get irritated when something she likes is suddenly not available.
>
> Jill

My guys are pretty flexible. Right now, I have them on 4Health Indoor, plus canned at night, usually Friskies and 9 Lives. I have one that will NOT eat wet food, and looks so pitiful when the others are getting theirs. I tell him he can have some, and put it in front of him. He gives me that look - Are you trying to poison me - and takes off. Silly boy!

jmcquown[_2_]
December 7th 17, 06:27 PM
On 12/7/2017 11:45 AM, Mishi wrote:
>
>> Thanks Mishi. :) She does like the Sheba wet food (Perfect Portions
>> really is apt) but I didn't see any Sheba dry cat food on the shelf. :(
>> I'm sure she won't be picky about the Purina One Indoor Advantage. I
>> just get irritated when something she likes is suddenly not available.
>>
>> Jill
>
> My guys are pretty flexible. Right now, I have them on 4Health Indoor, plus canned at night, usually Friskies and 9 Lives. I have one that will NOT eat wet food, and looks so pitiful when the others are getting theirs. I tell him he can have some, and put it in front of him. He gives me that look - Are you trying to poison me - and takes off. Silly boy!
>
I've only ever had one cat at a time. I've always wondered how folks
manage all the different likes and dislikes when you have a clowder of
cats. :)

I'm glad Buffy doesn't have to eat prescription food. BTDT with Persia
(RB 2014).

I think she'll be fine with the new stuff. It's just irritating when
something she likes, and I've been buying it for two years, is suddenly
not there anymore.

Jill

Cheryl[_6_]
December 8th 17, 04:07 PM
On 2017-12-08 11:23 AM, Judith Latham wrote:

>
>
> It is so annoying to have this happen. It happens, as you say, with all
> sorts of things. When you find something good, they stop selling it or
> even worse, they 'improve' it. new and improved invariably means poorer
> quality and less value for money.

Almost always. It's very annoying. My sister's dog likes a particular
kind of toy duck. My sister likes it because it's one of the few toys
the dog doesn't destroy very quickly. Of course, now she can't find that
type of duck locally! I found one in my area last year, and again this
year I found a similar duck in a different store, although it looks a
bit less sturdy than the original. It's astonishing how many wrong kinds
of duck show up when you google "dog toy duck"

> I give Sootie Purina chicken and rice for her dry food and she enjoys it.

Kerry is currently on pricey hypoallergenic cat food from the vet in an
effort to see if her fur-chewing-off is due to allergies. Fortunately,
she likes it. Neither of my cats are particularly fussy eaters. Cinnamon
is eating some senior food passed on by a friend whose cat turned up his
nose at it. Kerry likes that, too, so poor Cinnamon isn't free fed any
more. She gets her food in the privacy of the bedroom, with Kerry shut
out, morning and evening.

As for Kerry, I can't figure out what might be stressing her - the
fur-chewing started after the rather difficult first introduction to
Cinnamon had seemed to settle into fairly peaceful co-existence. She's
been checked, re-checked and treated for fleas even though no evidence
of them was spotted. I tried Feliway to no effect. The vet is reluctant
to resort to drugs, especially as it turns out Kerry has a heart murmur,
so I'm trying six weeks or so on the special food. It's only been a
couple weeks so far, so it's not surprising there's no change yet.


--
Cheryl