PDA

View Full Version : Freshening the water bowl

Takayuki
January 24th 18, 11:27 PM
Sometimes, Dot and Buster will sit hopefully next to the water bowl,
apparently waiting for it to be refreshed or refilled. I'm sure you've seen
your kitties do this too - it's important to keep hydrated, after all!

When Dot and Buster ask for water bowl service, I'll typically ask them a
bit about the water situation, clean and fill up their water bowl, and then
they'll happily lap up their new water while they get some attention and
pets.

But this time, things were a bit different. I found them sitting
expectantly next to their mostly full water bowl, so I dumped their water,
and filled it up with fresh water. But the just sniffed the bowl I put
down, and continued to look expectantly up at me.

So thinking that maybe there was something in the water I couldn't detect,
I dumped their water, and filled up their bowl from a jug of distilled
water. They sniffed at the water again, and looked up at me.

Next, I tried filling the water from the hot tap, thinking that maybe that
might have boiled off some chlorine or other volatiles they didn't like.
They still just continued looking at me hopefully.

It took me a while to realize that they wanted attention and pets, and that
they'd found that they could get it by sitting next to the water bowl!

jmcquown[_2_]
January 25th 18, 04:32 PM
On 1/24/2018 5:27 PM, Takayuki wrote:
> Sometimes, Dot and Buster will sit hopefully next to the water bowl,
> apparently waiting for it to be refreshed or refilled. I'm sure you've seen
> your kitties do this too - it's important to keep hydrated, after all!
>
> When Dot and Buster ask for water bowl service, I'll typically ask them a
> bit about the water situation, clean and fill up their water bowl, and then
> they'll happily lap up their new water while they get some attention and
> pets.
>
> But this time, things were a bit different. I found them sitting
> expectantly next to their mostly full water bowl, so I dumped their water,
> and filled it up with fresh water. But the just sniffed the bowl I put
> down, and continued to look expectantly up at me.
>
> So thinking that maybe there was something in the water I couldn't detect,
> I dumped their water, and filled up their bowl from a jug of distilled
> water. They sniffed at the water again, and looked up at me.
>
> Next, I tried filling the water from the hot tap, thinking that maybe that
> might have boiled off some chlorine or other volatiles they didn't like.
> They still just continued looking at me hopefully.
>
> It took me a while to realize that they wanted attention and pets, and that
> they'd found that they could get it by sitting next to the water bowl!

All the while they were wondering... is this guy slow or what? ;) I'm
sure they were amused by all the things you kept doing to their water bowl!

Jill

Takayuki
January 25th 18, 06:39 PM
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:32:04 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
>All the while they were wondering... is this guy slow or what? ;) I'm
>sure they were amused by all the things you kept doing to their water bowl!
>
>Jill

They love performing experiments on their hoomin. It was raining that day,
so I was even trying to collect rainwater to see if that would make any
difference!

jmcquown[_2_]
January 25th 18, 07:02 PM
On 1/25/2018 12:39 PM, Takayuki wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:32:04 -0500, jmcquown > wrote:
>> All the while they were wondering... is this guy slow or what? ;) I'm
>> sure they were amused by all the things you kept doing to their water bowl!
>>
>> Jill
>
> They love performing experiments on their hoomin. It was raining that day,
> so I was even trying to collect rainwater to see if that would make any
> difference!

They do seem to love making us jump through hoops! Buffy will bat a
golf ball towards me when I'm sitting here at the desk. I'll bat it
back towards her. After chasing it a couple of times she'll sit and
stare at it. Look at me, then back at the ball. Nine times out of ten
I'll get up and bap the golf ball again.

In the meantime, she's snuck up onto my computer chair... ;)

Jill

Takayuki
January 28th 18, 06:44 PM
On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 13:40:22 +0000 (GMT), Judith Latham
> wrote:
>In article >, Takayuki
> wrote:
>> They love performing experiments on their hoomin. It was raining that
>> day, so I was even trying to collect rainwater to see if that would make
>> any difference!
>
>I bet they thought the rainwater collecting was most entertaining. :)

Well, at least I found out that it's harder than it looks. I see all this
water coming down, pouring down the roof and driveway, and think it must be
easy to just put a bowl outside and catch some. But considering the width
of the bowl, it actually takes a long time. :)

jmcquown[_2_]
January 29th 18, 12:20 AM
On 1/28/2018 12:44 PM, Takayuki wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 13:40:22 +0000 (GMT), Judith Latham
> > wrote:
>> In article >, Takayuki
>> > wrote:
>>> They love performing experiments on their hoomin. It was raining that
>>> day, so I was even trying to collect rainwater to see if that would make
>>> any difference!
>>
>> I bet they thought the rainwater collecting was most entertaining. :)
>
> Well, at least I found out that it's harder than it looks. I see all this
> water coming down, pouring down the roof and driveway, and think it must be
> easy to just put a bowl outside and catch some. But considering the width
> of the bowl, it actually takes a long time. :)

Not to mention, when it's pouring down rain it bounces back out! LOL
The small bird bath on my patio is proof of that.

Jill