PDA

View Full Version : Big breakthrough


John Biltz
August 16th 03, 10:39 PM
I caught Maya using the Littermaid this morning. When Bruiser started
using it it I never saw her use it again. Not that big a thing because
in the summer she usually goes outside. But this means I don't have to
keep the second litter box and I can move the littermaid back to the
spare bedroom. This seems to be a major step in Maya's acceptance of
Bruiser as well. The funny thing was Maya likes to move a lot of litter.
She piles all the litter up at one end, goes, then moves all the litter
to the end and takes care of the rest of her business. Bruiser was
watching the whole proceedure with real interest. Bruiser just scoops a
little goes and scratches a little over the top. This afternoon I slept
in late and heard a lot of digging going on. Maya was on the bed with me.
So it looks like he decided that big cats dig a lot. The little guy
copies everything Maya does.

I don't think I mentioned that Bruiser managed to pull one of the
Katwalks out of the wall. He hooked his claws between the wall and the
shelf, turned himself 90 degrees to the wall, hung his butt way out in
air and started throwing all his weight backwards. He managed to pull
the expanding drywall anchors out of the wall on one end. I am
completely clueless why he wanted to do this. I am going to have go get
some of the anchors that flip open after going through the wall and pull
against the back of the wall as you tighten the screw.

Daniel & Nancy Mahoney
August 17th 03, 04:27 AM
> I don't think I mentioned that Bruiser managed to pull one of the
> Katwalks out of the wall. He hooked his claws between the wall and the
> shelf, turned himself 90 degrees to the wall, hung his butt way out in
> air and started throwing all his weight backwards. He managed to pull
> the expanding drywall anchors out of the wall on one end. I am
> completely clueless why he wanted to do this. I am going to have go get
> some of the anchors that flip open after going through the wall and pull
> against the back of the wall as you tighten the screw.

Amazing! Sounds like Bruiser is trying to live up to his name.

Dan

John Biltz
August 17th 03, 10:24 AM
On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:27:23 -0700, Daniel & Nancy Mahoney wrote
(in message >):

>> I don't think I mentioned that Bruiser managed to pull one of the
>> Katwalks out of the wall. He hooked his claws between the wall and the
>> shelf, turned himself 90 degrees to the wall, hung his butt way out in
>> air and started throwing all his weight backwards. He managed to pull
>> the expanding drywall anchors out of the wall on one end. I am
>> completely clueless why he wanted to do this. I am going to have go get
>> some of the anchors that flip open after going through the wall and pull
>> against the back of the wall as you tighten the screw.
>
> Amazing! Sounds like Bruiser is trying to live up to his name.
>
> Dan

I found it pretty amazing myself. I was shocked he was able to do it but
looking at them it is not that hard to do. Structurally they don't
resist that way. They are meant to bear weight in any direction but
straight out. Why any cat would want to tear it out of the wall baffles
me. The fact he instinctively knew the way to do it scares me. They had
some new stuff at the store I never used before. Big plastic screws wide
but shallow. They screw right in so I did not have to drill a bigger
hole. The screws compress the wall board making it very strong. The
brass screws that came with the Katwalk then screwed right into the the
prefabricated holes. Each one is supposed to hold 50 pounds. I replaced
all of them. Easier to do it once since I had everything out already.

Karen Chuplis
August 18th 03, 01:41 AM
in article k.net, John
Biltz at wrote on 8/17/03 4:24 AM:

> On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 20:27:23 -0700, Daniel & Nancy Mahoney wrote
> (in message >):
>
>>> I don't think I mentioned that Bruiser managed to pull one of the
>>> Katwalks out of the wall. He hooked his claws between the wall and the
>>> shelf, turned himself 90 degrees to the wall, hung his butt way out in
>>> air and started throwing all his weight backwards. He managed to pull
>>> the expanding drywall anchors out of the wall on one end. I am
>>> completely clueless why he wanted to do this. I am going to have go get
>>> some of the anchors that flip open after going through the wall and pull
>>> against the back of the wall as you tighten the screw.
>>
>> Amazing! Sounds like Bruiser is trying to live up to his name.
>>
>> Dan
>
> I found it pretty amazing myself. I was shocked he was able to do it but
> looking at them it is not that hard to do. Structurally they don't
> resist that way. They are meant to bear weight in any direction but
> straight out. Why any cat would want to tear it out of the wall baffles
> me. The fact he instinctively knew the way to do it scares me. They had
> some new stuff at the store I never used before. Big plastic screws wide
> but shallow. They screw right in so I did not have to drill a bigger
> hole. The screws compress the wall board making it very strong. The
> brass screws that came with the Katwalk then screwed right into the the
> prefabricated holes. Each one is supposed to hold 50 pounds. I replaced
> all of them. Easier to do it once since I had everything out already.
>
That is truly an apprentice b*stard cat trick!! You have your hands full!

Karen