PDA

View Full Version : Re: hot cat ears

Fat Freddy
July 1st 03, 09:22 PM
> ears and paw pads can get hot when they're excited and happy...

What a pleasant suprise to find that this thread is about happy cats.
I thought it was one of those troll posts about recipies for cooking
kitties.

Fat Freddy
July 1st 03, 09:22 PM
> ears and paw pads can get hot when they're excited and happy...

What a pleasant suprise to find that this thread is about happy cats.
I thought it was one of those troll posts about recipies for cooking
kitties.

Kailey11
July 2nd 03, 12:23 AM
All my cats have had cool ears except the 2 littermates I adopted a year ago.
Their ears are very warm. Don't know if it is a genetic thing or what.

Kailey11
July 2nd 03, 12:23 AM
All my cats have had cool ears except the 2 littermates I adopted a year ago.
Their ears are very warm. Don't know if it is a genetic thing or what.

dgk
July 2nd 03, 02:54 AM
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:41:38 +0000 (UTC), Priscilla H Ballou
> wrote:

>Fat Freddy > quoth:
>>> ears and paw pads can get hot when they're excited and happy...
>
>>What a pleasant suprise to find that this thread is about happy cats.
>>I thought it was one of those troll posts about recipies for cooking
>>kitties.
>
>LOL! Hot cat ears en brochette?
>
>Well, I do sort of fake-nibble on my cats' ears. They're just so
>nuzzle-able! Velllllllll-vet.
>
>Priscilla

They sell pigs ears for dogs. Yuck.

dgk
July 2nd 03, 02:54 AM
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:41:38 +0000 (UTC), Priscilla H Ballou
> wrote:

>Fat Freddy > quoth:
>>> ears and paw pads can get hot when they're excited and happy...
>
>>What a pleasant suprise to find that this thread is about happy cats.
>>I thought it was one of those troll posts about recipies for cooking
>>kitties.
>
>LOL! Hot cat ears en brochette?
>
>Well, I do sort of fake-nibble on my cats' ears. They're just so
>nuzzle-able! Velllllllll-vet.
>
>Priscilla

They sell pigs ears for dogs. Yuck.

Yngver
July 2nd 03, 05:58 PM
dgk wrote:

>From a biology point of view I would think that a fur covered animal
>would use big ears like that to lose body heat as necessary. It
>wouldn't be surprising if there was a mechanism in cats to send more
>blood to the ears if the cat is hot. Dogs pant to cool off but I don't
>see cats panting. Of course, they're smart enough not to run around
>when it's hot.

I've seen cats panting, but since cats also pant from stress, it's hard
sometimes to know whether it's the heat that's causing the panting. They do get
sweaty paws too, but that can also be from stress.

Yngver
July 2nd 03, 05:58 PM
dgk wrote:

>From a biology point of view I would think that a fur covered animal
>would use big ears like that to lose body heat as necessary. It
>wouldn't be surprising if there was a mechanism in cats to send more
>blood to the ears if the cat is hot. Dogs pant to cool off but I don't
>see cats panting. Of course, they're smart enough not to run around
>when it's hot.

I've seen cats panting, but since cats also pant from stress, it's hard
sometimes to know whether it's the heat that's causing the panting. They do get
sweaty paws too, but that can also be from stress.

Liz
July 3rd 03, 04:35 AM
Cats pant just like dogs, with their tongue sticking way out and their
mouth wide open if they are really hot. It's common to catch them at
it when they are playing out in the sun in a hot summer day. They just
don't feel as hot as dogs do. Dogs seem to be hot all the time (at
least in a tropical country).