PDA

View Full Version : color of cat's mouth

Joe Diamond
July 2nd 03, 08:19 AM
I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone know
if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the upper
roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is more
pinkish?

Hilden Pickering
July 2nd 03, 10:09 AM
On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:19:48 GMT, "Joe Diamond" >
wrote:

>I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone know
>if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the upper
>roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is more
>pinkish?

It is normal. My tuxedo has black lips in the front and on one side. My tabby
has a dark spot on his roof of the mouth.

wrote:

>I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone know
>if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the upper
>roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is more
>pinkish?

It is normal. My tuxedo has black lips in the front and on one side. My tabby
has a dark spot on his roof of the mouth.

Cathy Friedmann
July 2nd 03, 02:04 PM
"Joe Diamond" > wrote in message
> I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone
know
> if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the
upper
> roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is
more
> pinkish?

Yes, the tissue can have darker pigmentation in various areas of their
mouths. There may be darker spots & blotches on the roof of the mouth, on
the lips, wherever. Also on the skin you might sometimes see this - where
the fur may be sparser, like in front of the ears; or they may have dark
splodges on the pads of their otherwise pink paws.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Cathy Friedmann
July 2nd 03, 02:04 PM
"Joe Diamond" > wrote in message
> I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone
know
> if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the
upper
> roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is
more
> pinkish?

Yes, the tissue can have darker pigmentation in various areas of their
mouths. There may be darker spots & blotches on the roof of the mouth, on
the lips, wherever. Also on the skin you might sometimes see this - where
the fur may be sparser, like in front of the ears; or they may have dark
splodges on the pads of their otherwise pink paws.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Rene
July 2nd 03, 03:35 PM
Hilden Pickering > wrote in message >...
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:19:48 GMT, "Joe Diamond" >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone know
> >if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the upper
> >roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is more
> >pinkish?
> >
> It is normal. My tuxedo has black lips in the front and on one side. My tabby
> has a dark spot on his roof of the mouth.

Yes, I agree. My tabby and white has sort of a "speckled" brown and
white roof of his mouth.

Rene

Rene
July 2nd 03, 03:35 PM
Hilden Pickering > wrote in message >...
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 07:19:48 GMT, "Joe Diamond" >
> wrote:
>
> >I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone know
> >if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the upper
> >roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is more
> >pinkish?
> >
> It is normal. My tuxedo has black lips in the front and on one side. My tabby
> has a dark spot on his roof of the mouth.

Yes, I agree. My tabby and white has sort of a "speckled" brown and
white roof of his mouth.

Rene

Cathy Friedmann
July 2nd 03, 03:49 PM
"Yngver" > wrote in message
> Joe Diamond" wrote:
>
> >I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone
know
> >if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the
upper
> >roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is
more
> >pinkish?
> >
> I think it partly depends on the coloration of the cat. Our cat that is
blue
> cream, which is a dilute tortoiseshell, has some spotting on the inside of
her
> mouth just as she does on the rest of her. Our white cat's mouth is solid
pink
> with no variation in color, just as her skin is solid colored.

One of my cats was a solid gray; she had some dark spots inside her mouth.

"Yngver" > wrote in message
> Joe Diamond" wrote:
>
> >I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone
know
> >if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the
upper
> >roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is
more
> >pinkish?
> >
> I think it partly depends on the coloration of the cat. Our cat that is
blue
> cream, which is a dilute tortoiseshell, has some spotting on the inside of
her
> mouth just as she does on the rest of her. Our white cat's mouth is solid
pink
> with no variation in color, just as her skin is solid colored.

One of my cats was a solid gray; she had some dark spots inside her mouth.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Yngver
July 2nd 03, 06:02 PM
Cathy Friedmann" wrote:

>One of my cats was a solid gray; she had some dark spots inside her mouth.

Well, I guess it only partly relates to the spotting on the cat's skin. Our
blue-cream has spotting (cream and blue, of course) on her paw pads as well,
and the spotting pattern seems to carry into the roof of her mouth, but I guess
it doesn't have to be because of the cat's pattern.

Which makes me wonder--has anyone ever seen a cat with more than one color
nose? In other words, can the nose pad be spotted? I've certainly seen this on
dogs.

Yngver
July 2nd 03, 06:02 PM
Cathy Friedmann" wrote:

>One of my cats was a solid gray; she had some dark spots inside her mouth.

Well, I guess it only partly relates to the spotting on the cat's skin. Our
blue-cream has spotting (cream and blue, of course) on her paw pads as well,
and the spotting pattern seems to carry into the roof of her mouth, but I guess
it doesn't have to be because of the cat's pattern.

Which makes me wonder--has anyone ever seen a cat with more than one color
nose? In other words, can the nose pad be spotted? I've certainly seen this on
dogs.

Hilden Pickering
July 2nd 03, 09:21 PM
On 02 Jul 2003 17:02:19 GMT, (Yngver) wrote:

>Cathy Friedmann" wrote:
>
>>One of my cats was a solid gray; she had some dark spots inside her mouth.
>
>Well, I guess it only partly relates to the spotting on the cat's skin. Our
>blue-cream has spotting (cream and blue, of course) on her paw pads as well,
>and the spotting pattern seems to carry into the roof of her mouth, but I guess
>it doesn't have to be because of the cat's pattern.
>
>Which makes me wonder--has anyone ever seen a cat with more than one color
>nose? In other words, can the nose pad be spotted? I've certainly seen this on
>dogs.
My Figaro has a black and pink nose he is a tuxedo cat. My Tito's is black and
tan he is a black and tan tabby. Antonio's is all pink mostly white and tabby.

Hilden Pickering
July 2nd 03, 09:21 PM
On 02 Jul 2003 17:02:19 GMT, (Yngver) wrote:

>Cathy Friedmann" wrote:
>
>>One of my cats was a solid gray; she had some dark spots inside her mouth.
>
>Well, I guess it only partly relates to the spotting on the cat's skin. Our
>blue-cream has spotting (cream and blue, of course) on her paw pads as well,
>and the spotting pattern seems to carry into the roof of her mouth, but I guess
>it doesn't have to be because of the cat's pattern.
>
>Which makes me wonder--has anyone ever seen a cat with more than one color
>nose? In other words, can the nose pad be spotted? I've certainly seen this on
>dogs.
My Figaro has a black and pink nose he is a tuxedo cat. My Tito's is black and
tan he is a black and tan tabby. Antonio's is all pink mostly white and tabby.

Joe Diamond
July 2nd 03, 10:09 PM
Thanks everyone. You've put my mind (and Tiger's!) at ease.

om...

"k" > wrote in message
om...
> Various colorations aren't necessarily abnormal,
> as long it's a consistant state, not a changing one.
> Have your vet check it to be sure.
> What you don't ever want to see is "blueing" of
> the gums, indicating the cat is having trouble
> getting oxygen and needs immediate emergency care.
>

> "Joe Diamond" > wrote in message
> > I'm probably going to make this sound worse than it is, but does anyone
know
> > if it's normal for the front part (just around the front teeth) of the
upper
> > roof of a cat's mouth to be darker than the rest of the roof, which is
more
> > pinkish?

Rene
July 3rd 03, 02:18 PM
(Yngver) wrote in message >...
> Cathy Friedmann" wrote:
>
> >One of my cats was a solid gray; she had some dark spots inside her mouth.
>
> Well, I guess it only partly relates to the spotting on the cat's skin. Our
> blue-cream has spotting (cream and blue, of course) on her paw pads as well,
> and the spotting pattern seems to carry into the roof of her mouth, but I guess
> it doesn't have to be because of the cat's pattern.
>
> Which makes me wonder--has anyone ever seen a cat with more than one color
> nose? In other words, can the nose pad be spotted? I've certainly seen this on
> dogs.

Yes, it can. My Tucker has a three-color nose (brown, black, and
pinkish). i find it quite charming.

Rene

Rene
July 3rd 03, 02:18 PM