PDA

View Full Version : Water Fountain: How often should I clean it?

Paul Enterline
July 3rd 03, 11:36 PM
I have one of those "Drinkwell" water fountains for my two cats. The
water passes through a fiberglass/charcoal filter, then out a spout
into a dish, and is then recirculated. I have to add about quart of
water every three days.

Question: How long can I go without changing the water and the filter
and cleaning the unit?

Joe Canuck
July 4th 03, 12:57 AM
Paul Enterline wrote:
> I have one of those "Drinkwell" water fountains for my two cats. The
> water passes through a fiberglass/charcoal filter, then out a spout
> into a dish, and is then recirculated. I have to add about quart of
> water every three days.
>
> Question: How long can I go without changing the water and the filter
> and cleaning the unit?

I have had mine for over 2 years now.

The filter catches most of the floaties you might otherwise find in the
water. I refill mine with filtered water from the fridge.

Because the water is circulating and getting oxygenated it really
doesn't go stale or bad... you can likely get along fine with giving it
a scrub every week or so.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Joe Canuck
July 4th 03, 12:57 AM
Paul Enterline wrote:
> I have one of those "Drinkwell" water fountains for my two cats. The
> water passes through a fiberglass/charcoal filter, then out a spout
> into a dish, and is then recirculated. I have to add about quart of
> water every three days.
>
> Question: How long can I go without changing the water and the filter
> and cleaning the unit?

I have had mine for over 2 years now.

The filter catches most of the floaties you might otherwise find in the
water. I refill mine with filtered water from the fridge.

Because the water is circulating and getting oxygenated it really
doesn't go stale or bad... you can likely get along fine with giving it
a scrub every week or so.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Brad Clarke
July 4th 03, 02:52 AM
On 3 Jul 2003 15:36:45 -0700, (Paul Enterline) wrote:

>>I have one of those "Drinkwell" water fountains for my two cats. The
>>water passes through a fiberglass/charcoal filter, then out a spout
>>into a dish, and is then recirculated. I have to add about quart of
>>water every three days.
>>
>>Question: How long can I go without changing the water and the filter
>>and cleaning the unit?
We have a similar fountain, Petmate I think.

I add fresh water daily, an I clean it with hot soapy water once a week.

Brad

Brad Clarke
July 4th 03, 02:52 AM
On 3 Jul 2003 15:36:45 -0700, (Paul Enterline) wrote:

>>I have one of those "Drinkwell" water fountains for my two cats. The
>>water passes through a fiberglass/charcoal filter, then out a spout
>>into a dish, and is then recirculated. I have to add about quart of
>>water every three days.
>>
>>Question: How long can I go without changing the water and the filter
>>and cleaning the unit?
We have a similar fountain, Petmate I think.

I add fresh water daily, an I clean it with hot soapy water once a week.

Brad

Elizabeth Blake
July 5th 03, 04:50 AM
"Paul Enterline" > wrote in message
om...
> I have one of those "Drinkwell" water fountains for my two cats. The
> water passes through a fiberglass/charcoal filter, then out a spout
> into a dish, and is then recirculated. I have to add about quart of
> water every three days.
>
> Question: How long can I go without changing the water and the filter
> and cleaning the unit?

I have a Drinkwell at work for the two office cats. I take it apart & clean
it once a week. At home, I have a Freshflow (?) for my two cats. I have to
clean that 2-3 times a week. Anything that falls into the water (fur, food,
bits of paper or whatever) just sits on the bottom of the bowl. I really
wish I had bought another Drinkwell.

Liz