PDA

View Full Version : Re: Kitten temp 106.5

Karen Chuplis
July 5th 03, 05:39 PM
in article , *~*SooZy*~* at
wrote on 7/5/03 7:16 AM:

> Yesterday morning my kitten of 11 weeks was fine running about eating
> drinking up till lunch time, he was completely his self. I went out for a
> while, when I came back he was sitting on the chair, shivering, he felt very
> warm, I could not get any response out of him so I took him straight to the
> vet he had a temperature of 106.5!!!!! my vet had never recorded such a high
> temperature in a cat...
> cat runs between 37.8 degrees C (or 100 degrees F) and 39.2 degrees C (or
> 102.5 degrees F).
> she gave him a couple of injections to lower his temp. and some Rehydration
> support to make up and prescription food to take home. She said we would of
> lost him if I hadn't of brought him in so quickly!
> after 2 hours his temp dropped and I fed him the rehydration drink every
> hour with a syringe, then he started playing eating as if nothing was
> wrong.... took him back to the vet 9:00 this morning and his temp was 101.5
> completely fine....
>
> My vet didn't really know what brought it on, anyone in here very
> experienced anything like this? we wondered if he had a shock! I do smear
> Vic Vapour rub on all my electrical leads, and use antimate in areas I don't
> want him to go but maybe I missed a lead out! really don't know what it
> could of been, any ideas?

That is VERY high. I don't know of any specific causes but I do know that
various fevers can strike with no known cause. I'd just keep an eye on him.
Glad he seems fine now. Has he had shots recently?

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 5th 03, 05:39 PM
in article , *~*SooZy*~* at
wrote on 7/5/03 7:16 AM:

> Yesterday morning my kitten of 11 weeks was fine running about eating
> drinking up till lunch time, he was completely his self. I went out for a
> while, when I came back he was sitting on the chair, shivering, he felt very
> warm, I could not get any response out of him so I took him straight to the
> vet he had a temperature of 106.5!!!!! my vet had never recorded such a high
> temperature in a cat...
> cat runs between 37.8 degrees C (or 100 degrees F) and 39.2 degrees C (or
> 102.5 degrees F).
> she gave him a couple of injections to lower his temp. and some Rehydration
> support to make up and prescription food to take home. She said we would of
> lost him if I hadn't of brought him in so quickly!
> after 2 hours his temp dropped and I fed him the rehydration drink every
> hour with a syringe, then he started playing eating as if nothing was
> wrong.... took him back to the vet 9:00 this morning and his temp was 101.5
> completely fine....
>
> My vet didn't really know what brought it on, anyone in here very
> experienced anything like this? we wondered if he had a shock! I do smear
> Vic Vapour rub on all my electrical leads, and use antimate in areas I don't
> want him to go but maybe I missed a lead out! really don't know what it
> could of been, any ideas?

That is VERY high. I don't know of any specific causes but I do know that
various fevers can strike with no known cause. I'd just keep an eye on him.
Glad he seems fine now. Has he had shots recently?

Karen

*~*SooZy*~*
July 5th 03, 06:04 PM
"Karen Chuplis" > wrote in message
> in article , *~*SooZy*~* at
> wrote on 7/5/03 7:16 AM:
>
> > Yesterday morning my kitten of 11 weeks was fine running about eating
> > drinking up till lunch time, he was completely his self. I went out for
> > while, when I came back he was sitting on the chair, shivering, he felt
very
> > warm, I could not get any response out of him so I took him straight to
the
> > vet he had a temperature of 106.5!!!!! my vet had never recorded such a
high
> > temperature in a cat...
> > cat runs between 37.8 degrees C (or 100 degrees F) and 39.2 degrees C
(or
> > 102.5 degrees F).
> > she gave him a couple of injections to lower his temp. and some
Rehydration
> > support to make up and prescription food to take home. She said we
would of
> > lost him if I hadn't of brought him in so quickly!
> > after 2 hours his temp dropped and I fed him the rehydration drink every
> > hour with a syringe, then he started playing eating as if nothing was
> > wrong.... took him back to the vet 9:00 this morning and his temp was
101.5
> > completely fine....
> >
> > My vet didn't really know what brought it on, anyone in here very
> > experienced anything like this? we wondered if he had a shock! I do
smear
> > Vic Vapour rub on all my electrical leads, and use antimate in areas I
don't
> > want him to go but maybe I missed a lead out! really don't know what it
> > could of been, any ideas?
> >

> That is VERY high. I don't know of any specific causes but I do know that
> various fevers can strike with no known cause. I'd just keep an eye on
him.
> Glad he seems fine now. Has he had shots recently?
>
> Karen

no not yet as we only got him on the 26th June, we wanted to settle him in
first as advised by my vet and breeder, he is only 11 weeks now, He was
going to have his shots this Monday, but vet said now to leave it till the
end of the week before we give them, the breeder where we got him from cats
are all fully inoculated and FeLV/FIV free so is my other cat, we had her
blood test done just before we got him.

He is still fine playing and eating well, temp normal just taken it. Very
strange the way it came and went! I am so glad he is better, you don't
realise how quickly you fall in love with your pets until something like
that happens!

*~*SooZy*~*
July 5th 03, 06:04 PM
"Karen Chuplis" > wrote in message
> in article , *~*SooZy*~* at
> wrote on 7/5/03 7:16 AM:
>
> > Yesterday morning my kitten of 11 weeks was fine running about eating
> > drinking up till lunch time, he was completely his self. I went out for
> > while, when I came back he was sitting on the chair, shivering, he felt
very
> > warm, I could not get any response out of him so I took him straight to
the
> > vet he had a temperature of 106.5!!!!! my vet had never recorded such a
high
> > temperature in a cat...
> > cat runs between 37.8 degrees C (or 100 degrees F) and 39.2 degrees C
(or
> > 102.5 degrees F).
> > she gave him a couple of injections to lower his temp. and some
Rehydration
> > support to make up and prescription food to take home. She said we
would of
> > lost him if I hadn't of brought him in so quickly!
> > after 2 hours his temp dropped and I fed him the rehydration drink every
> > hour with a syringe, then he started playing eating as if nothing was
> > wrong.... took him back to the vet 9:00 this morning and his temp was
101.5
> > completely fine....
> >
> > My vet didn't really know what brought it on, anyone in here very
> > experienced anything like this? we wondered if he had a shock! I do
smear
> > Vic Vapour rub on all my electrical leads, and use antimate in areas I
don't
> > want him to go but maybe I missed a lead out! really don't know what it
> > could of been, any ideas?
> >

> That is VERY high. I don't know of any specific causes but I do know that
> various fevers can strike with no known cause. I'd just keep an eye on
him.
> Glad he seems fine now. Has he had shots recently?
>
> Karen

no not yet as we only got him on the 26th June, we wanted to settle him in
first as advised by my vet and breeder, he is only 11 weeks now, He was
going to have his shots this Monday, but vet said now to leave it till the
end of the week before we give them, the breeder where we got him from cats
are all fully inoculated and FeLV/FIV free so is my other cat, we had her
blood test done just before we got him.

He is still fine playing and eating well, temp normal just taken it. Very
strange the way it came and went! I am so glad he is better, you don't
realise how quickly you fall in love with your pets until something like
that happens!

*~*SooZy*~*
July 6th 03, 02:36 PM
"pcb" > wrote in message
> Is it at all possible that he came in contact with something poisonous?
> Maybe cleaning products or insecticides? Last summer one of our cats
> had such a high fever that she could barely walk, her whole body
> stiffened up. We later found out that the garden area in the housing
> complex had been sprayed with insecticide. The vet thought this
> could've brought on the fever.
>
> pcb

Not that I am aware of.... I am really careful to lock stuff away, as I also
have a 4 years old daughter, I check what I use to clean the floors with, as
I know most disinfectants etc are poisonous to cats. I always make sure the
floors are dry before I let the cats back in each room.
We do not have carpets.
But I will be more aware in future what I use, just in case its something I
had just not thought about before.

Thank you for your suggestion pcb

soozy

*~*SooZy*~*
July 6th 03, 02:36 PM
"pcb" > wrote in message
> Is it at all possible that he came in contact with something poisonous?
> Maybe cleaning products or insecticides? Last summer one of our cats
> had such a high fever that she could barely walk, her whole body
> stiffened up. We later found out that the garden area in the housing
> complex had been sprayed with insecticide. The vet thought this
> could've brought on the fever.
>
> pcb

Not that I am aware of.... I am really careful to lock stuff away, as I also
have a 4 years old daughter, I check what I use to clean the floors with, as
I know most disinfectants etc are poisonous to cats. I always make sure the
floors are dry before I let the cats back in each room.
We do not have carpets.
But I will be more aware in future what I use, just in case its something I
had just not thought about before.

Thank you for your suggestion pcb

soozy

*~*SooZy*~*
July 7th 03, 05:37 PM
"Yngver" > wrote in message
> "*~*SooZy*~*" wrote:
>
> >My vet didn't really know what brought it on, anyone in here very
> >experienced anything like this? we wondered if he had a shock! I do
smear
> >Vic Vapour rub on all my electrical leads, and use antimate in areas I
don't
> >want him to go but maybe I missed a lead out! really don't know what it
> >could of been, any ideas?
> >>

> Yes, I've experienced this and want to advise you not to worry too much.
You'll
> probably never find out what caused it. Fevers of unknown origin (FUO) are
not
> uncommon in kittens. Like yours, our kitten of 5 months age was her usual
self
> one morning, and by afternoon was sitting hunched up with her chin on the
floor
> as though she didn't even have the strength to pick her head up. I
recognized
> the signs of fever and we rushed her to the emergency vet (this stuff
always
> happens on a Sunday). She had a temp of 105. However, after an injection
of
> antibiotics and some fluids, she perked up and within a few hours was
playing
> again. The vet could find no apparent cause of her fever. She said it
could
> have been a bite wound from playing with our other cat, but we never found
any
> wound, and it was unlikely anyway because they never played that hard.

oh thank you its good to hear someone else's pet has experienced something
similar (not that I wish it on any pet) he has been fine ever since
--
Luv 'n stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

*~*SooZy*~*
July 7th 03, 05:37 PM
"Yngver" > wrote in message
> "*~*SooZy*~*" wrote:
>
> >My vet didn't really know what brought it on, anyone in here very
> >experienced anything like this? we wondered if he had a shock! I do
smear
> >Vic Vapour rub on all my electrical leads, and use antimate in areas I
don't
> >want him to go but maybe I missed a lead out! really don't know what it
> >could of been, any ideas?
> >>

> Yes, I've experienced this and want to advise you not to worry too much.
You'll
> probably never find out what caused it. Fevers of unknown origin (FUO) are
not
> uncommon in kittens. Like yours, our kitten of 5 months age was her usual
self
> one morning, and by afternoon was sitting hunched up with her chin on the
floor
> as though she didn't even have the strength to pick her head up. I
recognized
> the signs of fever and we rushed her to the emergency vet (this stuff
always
> happens on a Sunday). She had a temp of 105. However, after an injection
of
> antibiotics and some fluids, she perked up and within a few hours was
playing
> again. The vet could find no apparent cause of her fever. She said it
could
> have been a bite wound from playing with our other cat, but we never found
any
> wound, and it was unlikely anyway because they never played that hard.

oh thank you its good to hear someone else's pet has experienced something
similar (not that I wish it on any pet) he has been fine ever since
--
Luv 'n stuff
*~*SooZy*~*
http://community.webshots.com/user/ragdollcatsuk

*~*SooZy*~*
July 7th 03, 09:51 PM
"Yngver" > wrote in message
> *SooZy*~*" wrote:
>
> >oh thank you its good to hear someone else's pet has experienced
something
> >similar (not that I wish it on any pet) he has been fine ever since
>
> Our kitten was fine ever since too, and now she's five years old. Like
you, we
> racked our brains trying to think what she could have gotten into, but
never
> came up with anything. If your kitten had actually eaten something toxic,
> think he wouldn't have recovered quite so rapidly, so I wouldn't worry
too
> much. My regular vet, who checked our kitten out the next day, said a lot
of
> times it's just a mystery and the kitten bounces right back. By the next
day,
> in fact, her blood chemistry was normal too.

well I probably will never know either, just glad I took him into the vet as
soon as I noticed rather than waiting to see how he goes! he was fine the
vet said the next day.
I brought a thermometer which I was advised to do by the breeder I got him
from and my vet.
should always have one in the cats medical box!

*~*SooZy*~*
July 7th 03, 09:51 PM
"Yngver" > wrote in message
> *SooZy*~*" wrote:
>
> >oh thank you its good to hear someone else's pet has experienced
something
> >similar (not that I wish it on any pet) he has been fine ever since
>
> Our kitten was fine ever since too, and now she's five years old. Like
you, we
> racked our brains trying to think what she could have gotten into, but
never
> came up with anything. If your kitten had actually eaten something toxic,
> think he wouldn't have recovered quite so rapidly, so I wouldn't worry
too
> much. My regular vet, who checked our kitten out the next day, said a lot
of
> times it's just a mystery and the kitten bounces right back. By the next
day,
> in fact, her blood chemistry was normal too.

well I probably will never know either, just glad I took him into the vet as
soon as I noticed rather than waiting to see how he goes! he was fine the
vet said the next day.
I brought a thermometer which I was advised to do by the breeder I got him
from and my vet.
should always have one in the cats medical box!

teri
July 9th 03, 02:10 AM
>Yes, I've experienced this and want to advise you not to worry too much. You'll
>probably never find out what caused it. Fevers of unknown origin (FUO) are not
>uncommon in kittens. Like yours, our kitten of 5 months age was her usual self
>one morning, and by afternoon was sitting hunched up with her chin on the floor
>as though she didn't even have the strength to pick her head up. I recognized
>the signs of fever and we rushed her to the emergency vet (this stuff always
>happens on a Sunday).
Not always. Sometimes it happens on the Fourth of July :-)
Seamus was 105.4.

Teri

teri
July 9th 03, 02:10 AM
>Yes, I've experienced this and want to advise you not to worry too much. You'll
>probably never find out what caused it. Fevers of unknown origin (FUO) are not
>uncommon in kittens. Like yours, our kitten of 5 months age was her usual self
>one morning, and by afternoon was sitting hunched up with her chin on the floor
>as though she didn't even have the strength to pick her head up. I recognized
>the signs of fever and we rushed her to the emergency vet (this stuff always
>happens on a Sunday).
Not always. Sometimes it happens on the Fourth of July :-)
Seamus was 105.4.

Teri

Yngver
July 9th 03, 09:45 PM
teri wrote:

>I recognized
>>the signs of fever and we rushed her to the emergency vet (this stuff always
>>happens on a Sunday).
>Not always. Sometimes it happens on the Fourth of July :-)
>Seamus was 105.4.

I hope he is fine now. Yeah, I know what you mean--we found a cat in our alley
with paralyzed hind legs. We thought he'd been hit by a car. Of course this was
Memorial Day morning, and the only place we could take him was the emergency
vet, who charges $200 just for your walking in the door.

Yngver
July 9th 03, 09:45 PM
teri wrote:

>I recognized
>>the signs of fever and we rushed her to the emergency vet (this stuff always
>>happens on a Sunday).
>Not always. Sometimes it happens on the Fourth of July :-)
>Seamus was 105.4.

I hope he is fine now. Yeah, I know what you mean--we found a cat in our alley
with paralyzed hind legs. We thought he'd been hit by a car. Of course this was
Memorial Day morning, and the only place we could take him was the emergency
vet, who charges $200 just for your walking in the door.

teri
July 11th 03, 02:13 AM
>I hope he is fine now. Yeah, I know what you mean--we found a cat in our alley
>with paralyzed hind legs. We thought he'd been hit by a car. Of course this was
>Memorial Day morning, and the only place we could take him was the emergency
>vet, who charges $200 just for your walking in the door.
Ouch!

Seamus is doing much better, thanks!
Teri

teri