PDA

View Full Version : Kitten - Health problems

Anastasia
July 6th 03, 09:54 AM
My kitten is just over 4 months old. I got her just over a week ago - she
wasn't entirely healthy then - was still sneezing and coughing (from the
kennel flu), but on the way to recovery. She finally stopped sneezing and
coughing within the first few days being at home, and her eyes were clear
and clean. But yesterday I noticed that her left eye is a bit watery and has
puss again.
Then, four days ago (Thursday) I noticed that her poo became less solid,
then on Friday even less solid and on Saturday the same. On Saturday morning
(yesterday) I spoke to the vet, who said it was normal - change of home,
diet, new environment; and that these symptoms are quite common, so there is
nothing to worry about unless it persists.
But, what was particularly worrying me was that she cries when she goes to
the bathroom ... and this is strange cause usually it's the constipation
that is more painful and diarrhoea. But this morning I noticed there was
blood in the litter tray! A more solid poo and blood spot. Is this normal?
Is this due to the change of diet? Is she having her period? (She hasn't
been spayed as yet - due in mid August). Please help, cause I'm worried...

Liz
July 6th 03, 02:52 PM
How exactly does she cry when she goes to the bathroom? Is that
meowing or some other sound? In my experience, all kittens and some
cats meow when they go to the bathroom. I guess they are calling their
mom to clean them up. Or maybe they just want to announce their
masterwork. ;)

Cats in heat (period) do not lose blood. Blood in her feces means some
blood vessel near her anus bursted (no big deal as long as it's no
more than two or three drops). It can also mean hemorrhoid but I think
she's too young for that. Has she been dewormed?

A trip to the vet is a good idea and I understand you already have an
appointment on Monday. If she's eating and playing, there's nothing to
be really worried about.

Liz
July 6th 03, 02:52 PM
How exactly does she cry when she goes to the bathroom? Is that
meowing or some other sound? In my experience, all kittens and some
cats meow when they go to the bathroom. I guess they are calling their
mom to clean them up. Or maybe they just want to announce their
masterwork. ;)

Cats in heat (period) do not lose blood. Blood in her feces means some
blood vessel near her anus bursted (no big deal as long as it's no
more than two or three drops). It can also mean hemorrhoid but I think
she's too young for that. Has she been dewormed?

A trip to the vet is a good idea and I understand you already have an
appointment on Monday. If she's eating and playing, there's nothing to
be really worried about.

Sherry
July 6th 03, 03:40 PM
>But, what was particularly worrying me was that she cries when she goes to
>the bathroom ... and this is strange cause usually it's the constipation
>that is more painful and diarrhoea. But this morning I noticed there was
>blood in the litter tray! A more solid poo and blood spot. Is this normal?
>Is this due to the change of diet? Is she having her period? (She hasn't
>been spayed as yet - due in mid August). Please help, cause I'm worried...

She needs to see a vet. Loose stools may be normal from a change of diet,
environment, but I don't think full-blown diarrhea is and certainly not the
appearance of blood. Bloody poop scares the bejeezus out of me because we have
lost *so many* shelter kittens to coccidia.

Sherry

Sherry
July 6th 03, 03:40 PM
>But, what was particularly worrying me was that she cries when she goes to
>the bathroom ... and this is strange cause usually it's the constipation
>that is more painful and diarrhoea. But this morning I noticed there was
>blood in the litter tray! A more solid poo and blood spot. Is this normal?
>Is this due to the change of diet? Is she having her period? (She hasn't
>been spayed as yet - due in mid August). Please help, cause I'm worried...

She needs to see a vet. Loose stools may be normal from a change of diet,
environment, but I don't think full-blown diarrhea is and certainly not the
appearance of blood. Bloody poop scares the bejeezus out of me because we have
lost *so many* shelter kittens to coccidia.

Sherry

MARTY AND SAM MASTRUSERIO
July 6th 03, 10:11 PM
Definitely take her to vet, but sometimes if it is just a tiny bit of blood,
it's scary but just like people they go so much they get a bit irritated....
Fecals are inexpensive at the vet and can show a host of problems, but also
relieve a lot of fears.

It may be important to know if your cat was kept near outdoor animals or in
an outdoor kennel. I think the vet told me once birds are the biggest
carrier of coccidia....

"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >But, what was particularly worrying me was that she cries when she goes
> >the bathroom ... and this is strange cause usually it's the constipation
> >that is more painful and diarrhoea. But this morning I noticed there was
> >blood in the litter tray! A more solid poo and blood spot. Is this
normal?
> >Is this due to the change of diet? Is she having her period? (She hasn't
> >been spayed as yet - due in mid August). Please help, cause I'm
worried...

> She needs to see a vet. Loose stools may be normal from a change of diet,
> environment, but I don't think full-blown diarrhea is and certainly not
the
> appearance of blood. Bloody poop scares the bejeezus out of me because we
have
> lost *so many* shelter kittens to coccidia.
>
> Sherry

July 7th 03, 04:13 AM
All new kittens need a full checkup with the vet.
And it isn't normal for them to cry/vocalize when
they are in the litter box.
If a vet told me it was ok without ever seeing the
kitten, I would definitely change vets.

"Kennel flu" ?
Says who?