PDA

View Full Version : random urination update

J1Boss
July 7th 03, 09:40 PM
Hi folks - a few weeks ago, I wrote for some help with Skipjack, who uses his
box but uses other places as well. His first visit to the vet showed no UTI.
Neither did a visit to a different vet. We tried to go to my preferred vet,
but she's an hour away. On the day we had the appointment, Skip made it clear
that he was not at all happy with this car thing and one or both of us would
not have made it alive during rush hour with that drive! So we made an
appointment with another vet, very close by. Skip had more bloodwork and
urinalysis and culture done, as well as an ultrasound (a little overkill, but
what the heck).

Anyway, although there are some crystals in his urine, there is not infection.
I left him at the vet last Wednesday, so his bladder could fill and they could
do the tests. Well, since we've been home, he hasn't had a problem. I started
using some citrus room spray on the sofa cushions he commonly (recently at
least) has urinated on, and he hasn't eliminated on them again (no problem
being on my lap on same cushions). Knock on wood, does he seem to get it?

The vet recommended putting him on Elavil, but I'm not sure I want to drug a
cat if I can treat it otherwise. He also recommended CDS or IVD Control food.
I've never been a Hill's fan, although years ago, I did have my male cat on CD.

Any other food recommendations? He's eating Solid Gold, which seems to give
him less gas and stink than any other food. He eats small amounts of Sheba or
Fancy Feast (which I give in larger amounts to my sick kitty to get her to
eat), but prefers his dry food.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Karen Chuplis
July 8th 03, 12:46 AM
in article , J1Boss at
wrote on 7/7/03 3:40 PM:

> Hi folks - a few weeks ago, I wrote for some help with Skipjack, who uses his
> box but uses other places as well. His first visit to the vet showed no UTI.
> Neither did a visit to a different vet. We tried to go to my preferred vet,
> but she's an hour away. On the day we had the appointment, Skip made it clear
> that he was not at all happy with this car thing and one or both of us would
> not have made it alive during rush hour with that drive! So we made an
> appointment with another vet, very close by. Skip had more bloodwork and
> urinalysis and culture done, as well as an ultrasound (a little overkill, but
> what the heck).
>
> Anyway, although there are some crystals in his urine, there is not infection.
> I left him at the vet last Wednesday, so his bladder could fill and they could
> do the tests. Well, since we've been home, he hasn't had a problem. I
> started
> using some citrus room spray on the sofa cushions he commonly (recently at
> least) has urinated on, and he hasn't eliminated on them again (no problem
> being on my lap on same cushions). Knock on wood, does he seem to get it?
>
> The vet recommended putting him on Elavil, but I'm not sure I want to drug a
> cat if I can treat it otherwise. He also recommended CDS or IVD Control food.
> I've never been a Hill's fan, although years ago, I did have my male cat on
> CD.
>

> Any other food recommendations? He's eating Solid Gold, which seems to give
> him less gas and stink than any other food. He eats small amounts of Sheba or
> Fancy Feast (which I give in larger amounts to my sick kitty to get her to
> eat), but prefers his dry food.
>

> Janet Boss
> Best Friends Dog Obedience
> "Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
> Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
> www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I really recommend Feliway for a try before drugs.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 8th 03, 12:46 AM
in article , J1Boss at
wrote on 7/7/03 3:40 PM:

> Hi folks - a few weeks ago, I wrote for some help with Skipjack, who uses his
> box but uses other places as well. His first visit to the vet showed no UTI.
> Neither did a visit to a different vet. We tried to go to my preferred vet,
> but she's an hour away. On the day we had the appointment, Skip made it clear
> that he was not at all happy with this car thing and one or both of us would
> not have made it alive during rush hour with that drive! So we made an
> appointment with another vet, very close by. Skip had more bloodwork and
> urinalysis and culture done, as well as an ultrasound (a little overkill, but
> what the heck).
>
> Anyway, although there are some crystals in his urine, there is not infection.
> I left him at the vet last Wednesday, so his bladder could fill and they could
> do the tests. Well, since we've been home, he hasn't had a problem. I
> started
> using some citrus room spray on the sofa cushions he commonly (recently at
> least) has urinated on, and he hasn't eliminated on them again (no problem
> being on my lap on same cushions). Knock on wood, does he seem to get it?
>
> The vet recommended putting him on Elavil, but I'm not sure I want to drug a
> cat if I can treat it otherwise. He also recommended CDS or IVD Control food.
> I've never been a Hill's fan, although years ago, I did have my male cat on
> CD.
>

> Any other food recommendations? He's eating Solid Gold, which seems to give
> him less gas and stink than any other food. He eats small amounts of Sheba or
> Fancy Feast (which I give in larger amounts to my sick kitty to get her to
> eat), but prefers his dry food.
>

> Janet Boss
> Best Friends Dog Obedience
> "Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
> Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
> www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I really recommend Feliway for a try before drugs.

Karen

J1Boss
July 8th 03, 12:12 PM

>I really recommend Feliway for a try before drugs.
>
>Karen

I agree that I don't want to use drugs. I have used Feliway spray, but not
consistently. Not sure exactly where I should be spraying it at this point, or
whether a diffuser would be optimal. And where to locate the diffuser(s). 2
level house, fairly open floorplan.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

J1Boss
July 8th 03, 12:12 PM

>I really recommend Feliway for a try before drugs.
>
>Karen

I agree that I don't want to use drugs. I have used Feliway spray, but not
consistently. Not sure exactly where I should be spraying it at this point, or
whether a diffuser would be optimal. And where to locate the diffuser(s). 2
level house, fairly open floorplan.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

moi
July 8th 03, 12:53 PM
I nearly missed this thread in my quest for information on Feliway.

Your cat's problem sounds a bit like mine was. Has anything traumatic (in
his terms) happened before he began?

The first time we had moved house temporarily whilst some major renovation
work was done - he peed on the spare bed a couple of times. When we moved
back he stopped.

Later he got "lost" for 24 hours - he was only about 200 yards away but he
has no sense of direction! He was upset by the whole affaire particularly as
he had picked up some sheep ticks. He was ok to begin with but then we went
on holiday and my parents came to cat sit (as usual). It was also summer,
the patio window was always open and other cats do pass through the garden.
When we got back it was major pee city for quite a while and we tried
everything - including some wrong things like getting cross if we caught him
in action.

I got so frantic I was contemplating spending a fortune for a cat "psy" -
but before I did I followed a link on his web site which explained why cats
do this and what to do about it. The main thing that worked for us instantly
was putting lots of small bowls of dried cat food all around the house -
food = security. The next thing was to get rid of the cat pee smell but not
to replace it with another unfamiliar smell that he may find threatening and
want to cover up. It also said to rub his face and then rub your hands over
the areas to transfer the pheromones - this is where the Feliway comes in.
Of course getting angry just make's things worse as they become more
stressed.

The dried food really worked but you have to put up with lots of little
bowls around the house. I eventually removed the ones that seemed
un-necessary and found ways of hiding others behind curtains etc. Now we
mostly have a problem with the conservatory which he considers as outside
because he can see other cats occasionally and the door is often open. We
also had an episode on the front door mat - I'm wondering if a cat outside
had sprayed near our door, or if he had heard a cat fight in the night.

I suggest you try and find what is making him stressed, dried food all over
the place (don't forget water, but just in one place will do) and something
with enzymes to get rid of previous accident smells - I use Shout stain
remover.

Good luck, it's not nice however much you love them, nobody wants their
house to smell of cat pee.

Moi

"J1Boss" > wrote in message

> >I really recommend Feliway for a try before drugs.
> >
> >Karen
>
> I agree that I don't want to use drugs. I have used Feliway spray, but
not
> consistently. Not sure exactly where I should be spraying it at this
point, or
> whether a diffuser would be optimal. And where to locate the diffuser(s).
2
> level house, fairly open floorplan.
>

> Janet Boss
> Best Friends Dog Obedience
> "Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
> Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
> www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

moi
July 8th 03, 03:17 PM
Just a quick reply as I'm on my way out...

Yash is also very easy going and always in the middle of anything going on -
workmen in the house, visitors etc. Maybe it's not stress as in frightened,
more a case of better make sure this lot know whose house it is in case they
forget (his of course!).

Sorry the dried food can't help, it's such an easy solution in most cases.

Moi

"J1Boss" > wrote in message
> >From: "moi"
>
> >I nearly missed this thread in my quest for information on Feliway.
> >
> >Your cat's problem sounds a bit like mine was. Has anything traumatic (in
> >his terms) happened before he began?
>
> Not even a little. He's an incredibly easy going cat. Loves being held
by
> anyone, carried around, gets along great with the other cat and both dogs.
He
> [...]
instantly
> >was putting lots of small bowls of dried cat food all around the house -
> >food = security.
>
> Can't do that in a house with 2 large dogs! ;-D
>
> > The next thing was to get rid of the cat pee smell but not
> >to replace it with another unfamiliar smell that he may find threatening
and
> >want to cover up. It also said to rub his face and then rub your hands
over
> >the areas to transfer the pheromones - this is where the Feliway comes
in.

> I've been using Feliway, but not consistently. I'm going to get some
> diffusers.
>
> >Of course getting angry just make's things worse as they become more
> >stressed.
>
> While I am not pleased by his behavior, he doesn't get yelled at. Anytime
I've
> seen him start to paw at something that indicates he may be about to
squat,
> he's been interrupted and directed towards his box, but not scolded.
>
> >The dried food really worked but you have to put up with lots of little
> >bowls around the house.
>
> Which is totally impossible here.
>
> >I suggest you try and find what is making him stressed, dried food all
over
> >the place (don't forget water, but just in one place will do) and
something
> >with enzymes to get rid of previous accident smells - I use Shout stain
> >remover.
>
> I can't find any stress in his life! Truly, I can't find many more
relaxed
> cats. He's totally non-vocal, plays with the other pets, sleeps with me
every
> night, and is on my lap a good deal of the rest of the day.
>
> Food is not an option, neither are additional water bowls (all pets
currently
> share one large one, which is located to avoid water splashing, etc). I
may
> get him a fountain though - need to read some threads in whether cats seem
> like those or not. I have been using Simple Solution Cat Urine
Eliminator,

"J1Boss" > wrote in message
> [...]
may
> get him a fountain though - need to read some threads in whether cats seem
> like those or not. I have been using Simple Solution Cat Urine
Eliminator,
> which is enzyme-based, and have used Nature's Miracle as well.
>
> >Good luck, it's not nice however much you love them, nobody wants their
> >house to smell of cat pee.
> >
> >Moi
>
> Absolutely! It's a frustrating problem. I adore this kitty and have no
> intention of getting rid of him in any fashion, just because of this
problem.
> I know we can conquer it, I just need to find the right combo of steps.
>

> Janet Boss
> Best Friends Dog Obedience
> "Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
> Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine

July 8th 03, 07:55 PM
in article , J1Boss at
wrote on 7/8/03 6:12 AM:

>> I really recommend Feliway for a try before drugs.
>>
>> Karen
>
> I agree that I don't want to use drugs. I have used Feliway spray, but not
> consistently. Not sure exactly where I should be spraying it at this point,
> or
> whether a diffuser would be optimal. And where to locate the diffuser(s). 2
> level house, fairly open floorplan.
>

> Janet Boss
> Best Friends Dog Obedience
> "Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
> Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
> www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I think you must be very consistent with it's use. Adding a diffuser would
not hurt, but I think in this instance the spray would be more useful.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 8th 03, 07:55 PM
in article , J1Boss at
wrote on 7/8/03 6:12 AM:

>> I really recommend Feliway for a try before drugs.
>>
>> Karen
>
> I agree that I don't want to use drugs. I have used Feliway spray, but not
> consistently. Not sure exactly where I should be spraying it at this point,
> or
> whether a diffuser would be optimal. And where to locate the diffuser(s). 2
> level house, fairly open floorplan.
>

> Janet Boss
> Best Friends Dog Obedience
> "Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
> Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
> www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

I think you must be very consistent with it's use. Adding a diffuser would
not hurt, but I think in this instance the spray would be more useful.

Karen

Alison
July 9th 03, 09:30 AM
Hi Janet ,
When Kim first had a bad bout her urine test for crystals was
negative but a couple of weeks later the scan showed small crystals .
I found that keeping her on an entirely wet diet like Sheba and
whiskas has helped the crystals pass out of the bladder . Even if
there is no infection the crystals could still irritate the bladder
which might be why your cat is weeing on soft things like cushions .
This is a physical thing rather than a mental thing so maybe its not
worth putting Skipjack on Elavil .
BTW I have new dog. It was hard finding a JR type that liked small
pets and didn't stress them out but Diddy
is half the size of Kim so no problem there! (BG)
Alison

"J1Boss" > wrote in message
> Hi folks - a few weeks ago, I wrote for some help with Skipjack, who
uses his
> box but uses other places as well. His first visit to the vet
showed no UTI.
> Neither did a visit to a different vet. We tried to go to my
preferred vet,
> but she's an hour away. On the day we had the appointment, Skip
made it clear
> that he was not at all happy with this car thing and one or both of
us would
> not have made it alive during rush hour with that drive! So we made
an
> appointment with another vet, very close by. Skip had more
bloodwork and
> urinalysis and culture done, as well as an ultrasound (a little
overkill, but
> what the heck).
>
> Anyway, although there are some crystals in his urine, there is not
infection.
> I left him at the vet last Wednesday, so his bladder could fill and
they could
> do the tests. Well, since we've been home, he hasn't had a problem.
I started
> using some citrus room spray on the sofa cushions he commonly
(recently at
> least) has urinated on, and he hasn't eliminated on them again (no
problem
> being on my lap on same cushions). Knock on wood, does he seem to
get it?

> The vet recommended putting him on Elavil, but I'm not sure I want
to drug a
> cat if I can treat it otherwise. He also recommended CDS or IVD
Control food.
> I've never been a Hill's fan, although years ago, I did have my male
cat on CD.

> Any other food recommendations? He's eating Solid Gold, which seems
to give
> him less gas and stink than any other food. He eats small amounts
of Sheba or
> Fancy Feast (which I give in larger amounts to my sick kitty to get
her to
> eat), but prefers his dry food.
>

> Janet Boss
> Best Friends Dog Obedience
> "Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
> Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
> www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

J1Boss
July 9th 03, 01:12 PM
>From: "Alison"
>
>Hi Janet ,
> When Kim first had a bad bout her urine test for crystals was
>negative but a couple of weeks later the scan showed small crystals .
> I found that keeping her on an entirely wet diet like Sheba and
>whiskas has helped the crystals pass out of the bladder . Even if
>there is no infection the crystals could still irritate the bladder
>which might be why your cat is weeing on soft things like cushions .

I agree. Now I just have to convince Skip that canned food is a good thing!
He eats a little and walks away from it. I'm even considering going raw if it
appeals to him (I feed the dogs raw and am really happy with it).

>This is a physical thing rather than a mental thing so maybe its not
>worth putting Skipjack on Elavil .

I agree again. I already have one "drug addict" cat, I don't need another! ;-D

> BTW I have new dog. It was hard finding a JR type that liked small
>pets and didn't stress them out but Diddy
>is half the size of Kim so no problem there! (BG)
> Alison

Cool! Diddy, huh? Interesting! I have 2 JRT friends who haven't shown any
problems being around small animals and cats - not the killers they are
supposed to be!

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

J1Boss
July 9th 03, 01:12 PM
>From: "Alison"
>
>Hi Janet ,
> When Kim first had a bad bout her urine test for crystals was
>negative but a couple of weeks later the scan showed small crystals .
> I found that keeping her on an entirely wet diet like Sheba and
>whiskas has helped the crystals pass out of the bladder . Even if
>there is no infection the crystals could still irritate the bladder
>which might be why your cat is weeing on soft things like cushions .

I agree. Now I just have to convince Skip that canned food is a good thing!
He eats a little and walks away from it. I'm even considering going raw if it
appeals to him (I feed the dogs raw and am really happy with it).

>This is a physical thing rather than a mental thing so maybe its not
>worth putting Skipjack on Elavil .

I agree again. I already have one "drug addict" cat, I don't need another! ;-D

> BTW I have new dog. It was hard finding a JR type that liked small
>pets and didn't stress them out but Diddy
>is half the size of Kim so no problem there! (BG)
> Alison

Cool! Diddy, huh? Interesting! I have 2 JRT friends who haven't shown any
problems being around small animals and cats - not the killers they are
supposed to be!

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Alison
July 10th 03, 12:05 AM
"J1Boss" > wrote in message

> I agree. Now I just have to convince Skip that canned food is a
good thing!
> He eats a little and walks away from it. I'm even considering going
raw if it
> appeals to him (I feed the dogs raw and am really happy with it).

I'm lucky with Kim she does prefer dried food but will eat canned .
She slightly over weight so if she skips a meal I don't worry .

>> > BTW I have new dog. It was hard finding a JR type that liked
small
> >pets and didn't stress them out but Diddy
> >is half the size of Kim so no problem there! (BG)
> > Alison
>
> Cool! Diddy, huh? Interesting! I have 2 JRT friends who haven't
shown any
> problems being around small animals and cats - not the killers they
are
> supposed to be!

Well that's what I thought but maybe I was lucky . I don't have
so much experience with the Parsons type. I think Diddy (he was
already called that and I promised not to change it ) is chihuahua x
Jr . He looks like a cute puppy and his nature is like a CKCS. he only
weighs about 2.5 kilos . It's hard to stop people fussing and babying
him .
I have some not very good photos at

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/alisonkathleen2002

in the Diddy album

Alison

Alison
July 10th 03, 12:05 AM
"J1Boss" > wrote in message

> I agree. Now I just have to convince Skip that canned food is a
good thing!
> He eats a little and walks away from it. I'm even considering going
raw if it
> appeals to him (I feed the dogs raw and am really happy with it).

I'm lucky with Kim she does prefer dried food but will eat canned .
She slightly over weight so if she skips a meal I don't worry .

>> > BTW I have new dog. It was hard finding a JR type that liked
small
> >pets and didn't stress them out but Diddy
> >is half the size of Kim so no problem there! (BG)
> > Alison
>
> Cool! Diddy, huh? Interesting! I have 2 JRT friends who haven't
shown any
> problems being around small animals and cats - not the killers they
are
> supposed to be!

Well that's what I thought but maybe I was lucky . I don't have
so much experience with the Parsons type. I think Diddy (he was
already called that and I promised not to change it ) is chihuahua x
Jr . He looks like a cute puppy and his nature is like a CKCS. he only
weighs about 2.5 kilos . It's hard to stop people fussing and babying
him .
I have some not very good photos at

http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/alisonkathleen2002

in the Diddy album

Alison

Alison
July 11th 03, 11:30 PM
"J1Boss" > wrote in message

> Oh - he's adorable! Skip would dwarf him ;-D.

Everything dwarfs him LOL

> Raw food is a flop even more than canned, although Carey enjoyed it.
ARGHHHHH.

can you steam cook the raw food ? I've been feeding Diddy pre cooked
Natures Menu, they also do barf. They recently introduced a pre cooked
cat menu which I would like to try Kim on but my local pet shops
aren't selling it yet .
http://www.naturesmenu.co.uk

alison