PDA

View Full Version : Siamese biter

Jade
July 8th 03, 01:45 AM
Hi,

My brothers and sister and I got a Siamese kitten for our mother for
Christmas. "Molly" is now about eight months old, and has been a great pet
for my parents except for one thing - she bites (in play, and perhaps
sometimes affectionately), and she bites HARD. It's especially hard on my
mother, who takes a medication for arthritis that makes her skin tear
easily, and I was appalled by the state of her arms when I visited in May,
all from this little cat's biting habit!

Often Molly will begin biting while cuddling with the folks. My parents
have been attempting to train her out of it by simply putting her down as
soon as she begins, to show her that biting won't get her attention, but it
hasn't really been making any difference so far as they can tell. Any
suggestions?

Another question - my parents love spending summer evenings on the porch in
the summer, and would like to have Molly with them, but don't want her
leaving the porch (she's an indoor cat). How does one go about getting a
cat accustomed to a leash? She already wears a safety collar.

Thanks,
Jenn

PawsForThought
July 8th 03, 03:15 AM
>From: "Jade"

>Often Molly will begin biting while cuddling with the folks. My parents
>have been attempting to train her out of it by simply putting her down as
>soon as she begins, to show her that biting won't get her attention, but it
>hasn't really been making any difference so far as they can tell. Any
>suggestions?

They could try putting some bitter apple on their arms where the cat bites. Do
they use interactive toys like a feather on a stick toy to play with the cat?
It sounds like she's just young and energetic. Have they considered getting a
second kitten as a playmate for her?

>Another question - my parents love spending summer evenings on the porch in
>the summer, and would like to have Molly with them, but don't want her
>leaving the porch (she's an indoor cat). How does one go about getting a
>cat accustomed to a leash? She already wears a safety collar.

I would recommend a harness and leash instead of a collar and leash, and a
harness made for cats so she can't slip out of it. They can start by putting
the harness on her while she's in the house a short time each day so she gets
used to it. I personally don't have much experience with it but I know there's
others here that do.

Lauren
________

PawsForThought
July 8th 03, 03:15 AM
>From: "Jade"

>Often Molly will begin biting while cuddling with the folks. My parents
>have been attempting to train her out of it by simply putting her down as
>soon as she begins, to show her that biting won't get her attention, but it
>hasn't really been making any difference so far as they can tell. Any
>suggestions?

They could try putting some bitter apple on their arms where the cat bites. Do
they use interactive toys like a feather on a stick toy to play with the cat?
It sounds like she's just young and energetic. Have they considered getting a
second kitten as a playmate for her?

>Another question - my parents love spending summer evenings on the porch in
>the summer, and would like to have Molly with them, but don't want her
>leaving the porch (she's an indoor cat). How does one go about getting a
>cat accustomed to a leash? She already wears a safety collar.

I would recommend a harness and leash instead of a collar and leash, and a
harness made for cats so she can't slip out of it. They can start by putting
the harness on her while she's in the house a short time each day so she gets
used to it. I personally don't have much experience with it but I know there's
others here that do.

Lauren
________

Jade
July 8th 03, 10:44 AM
I'll definitely suggest the bitter apple, and urge them not to let my
brother play roughly with her. Thanks so much for the tips!

PawsForThought > wrote in message
> [...]

cat?
> It sounds like she's just young and energetic. Have they considered
getting a
> second kitten as a playmate for her?
>
> >Another question - my parents love spending summer evenings on the porch
in
> >the summer, and would like to have Molly with them, but don't want her
> >leaving the porch (she's an indoor cat). How does one go about getting a
> >cat accustomed to a leash? She already wears a safety collar.
>
> I would recommend a harness and leash instead of a collar and leash, and a
> harness made for cats so she can't slip out of it. They can start by
putting
> the harness on her while she's in the house a short time each day so she
gets
> used to it. I personally don't have much experience with it but I know

July 8th 03, 06:00 PM
>From: "Jade"

>I'll definitely suggest the bitter apple, and urge them not to let my
>brother play roughly with her. Thanks so much for the tips!

You're very welcome :) Good luck and keep us posted.

Lauren
________

PawsForThought
July 8th 03, 06:00 PM
>From: "Jade"

>I'll definitely suggest the bitter apple, and urge them not to let my
>brother play roughly with her. Thanks so much for the tips!

You're very welcome :) Good luck and keep us posted.

Lauren
________

Jade
July 8th 03, 07:18 PM
Yeah...we got her after my Mom's fifteen-year-old tabby died. Mom's retired
and was a bit bored, and this kitten has been an endless source of
entertainment - she's fallen in the bathtub, the trash, pulled all the
toilet paper off the roll, got into my Mom's hair dye and turned her own
back brown (Mom thought at first she was getting another "point" as she's a
chocolate Siamese!), and talks constantly - between bites of food and while
using the litterbox, even!

.net...

Laura R. > wrote in message
.net...
> circa Tue, 8 Jul 2003 02:43:03 -0700, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
> Jade ) said,
> > she's a cuddler and a
> > talker, which amuses them no end. Plus she's into everything - my
mother
> > says you can't do anything at all without Molly coming to investigate!
> >

> Now, *that* sounds pretty typically Siamese. :-)
>
> Laura

Barb 1
July 8th 03, 08:05 PM
I would definitely go with a harness and leash. A harness is much easier on
the cat. I always slip one through the collar just in case they back out of
the harness.

My little kitten was all teeth and nails when I got her and she can also be
affectionate. I do what comes naturally when she hurts me which is to yell
"ouch!" and put her on the floor. I think she is becoming more gentle, now.

Barb

Barb 1
July 8th 03, 08:05 PM
I would definitely go with a harness and leash. A harness is much easier on
the cat. I always slip one through the collar just in case they back out of
the harness.

My little kitten was all teeth and nails when I got her and she can also be
affectionate. I do what comes naturally when she hurts me which is to yell
"ouch!" and put her on the floor. I think she is becoming more gentle, now.

Barb

rosemary catherwood
July 8th 03, 10:57 PM
Hi,
we trained one of our cats who used to bite, a little too hard, by pretending
to cry(or say"ouch..ouch..in a crying manner)and she would immediately stop,and
even stare into our eyes,as if to say"oh..does that hurt?",and now if she
bites,it's very gentle,she just grasps the skin,very gently.
We are campers,and have trained our 2 cats to leashes.We started off by ONLY
letting them go outside IF they had the leashes on.Now,when I start to put the
leashes on,they purr !!!
We actually had a 17 year old Siamese,who, when he was 16 developed terminal
kidney disease,and because we wanted to know where he was ,when he was
outdoors,we trained him to the leash...in the last year of his life!!! He
didn't mind it at all...he seemed to realize that if he wanted to wander,he had
to have someone with him,always.
Rosemary

Jade wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My brothers and sister and I got a Siamese kitten for our mother for
> Christmas. "Molly" is now about eight months old, and has been a great pet
> for my parents except for one thing - she bites (in play, and perhaps
> sometimes affectionately), and she bites HARD. It's especially hard on my
> mother, who takes a medication for arthritis that makes her skin tear
> easily, and I was appalled by the state of her arms when I visited in May,
> all from this little cat's biting habit!
>
> Often Molly will begin biting while cuddling with the folks. My parents
> have been attempting to train her out of it by simply putting her down as
> soon as she begins, to show her that biting won't get her attention, but it
> hasn't really been making any difference so far as they can tell. Any
> suggestions?
>
> Another question - my parents love spending summer evenings on the porch in
> the summer, and would like to have Molly with them, but don't want her
> leaving the porch (she's an indoor cat). How does one go about getting a
> cat accustomed to a leash? She already wears a safety collar.
>
> Thanks,
> Jenn

moi
July 9th 03, 08:21 AM
> My cats wrestle in the bathtub.

Mine don't wrestle, but they do like to lick the shower tray - dirty soapy
water must taste so much better than the fresh clean water in their bowl!

Moi

.net...

"Laura R." > wrote in message
.net...
> circa Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:18:43 -0700, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
> Jade ) said,
> > Yeah...we got her after my Mom's fifteen-year-old tabby died. Mom's
retired
> > and was a bit bored, and this kitten has been an endless source of
> > entertainment - she's fallen in the bathtub,
> >
> My cats wrestle in the bathtub. It's my own little Greco-Roman forum.
> ;-)
>
> Laura

moi
July 9th 03, 02:08 PM
;oD

Don't you just love 'em despite their nasty little habits! When you think we
give our hubbies stick for much less ;o)

Moi

.net...

"Laura R." > wrote in message
.net...
> circa Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:21:18 +0000 (UTC), in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav, moi )
> said,
> > > My cats wrestle in the bathtub.
> >
> > Mine don't wrestle, but they do like to lick the shower tray - dirty
soapy
> > water must taste so much better than the fresh clean water in their
bowl!

> What do you think mine do on the wrestling breaks? ;-)
>
> Laura

moi
July 9th 03, 03:09 PM
HA HA HA LOL now that's an image that will stick in my mind and I'll think
about it every time the cat does!

Moi

.net...