PDA

View Full Version : OT SS numbers

---MIKE---
July 9th 03, 11:41 PM
Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
security number?

-MIKE

Sherry
July 10th 03, 04:12 AM
>Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
>security number?
>

> -MIKE

I'm sure a criss-cross reference for SS#'s is available to law enforcement
agencies, but I would sincerely hope NOT to the general public.

Sherry

Sherry
July 10th 03, 04:12 AM
>Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
>security number?
>

> -MIKE

I'm sure a criss-cross reference for SS#'s is available to law enforcement
agencies, but I would sincerely hope NOT to the general public.

Sherry

July 10th 03, 07:44 PM
MacCandace > wrote:
> I would hope that would not be public information. It certainly shouldn't be.

But I think it is...

Scarey, isn't it? You know, I heard that when they introduced SS #'s they
swore they weren't going to be used for identification....

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.

July 10th 03, 07:44 PM
MacCandace > wrote:
> I would hope that would not be public information. It certainly shouldn't be.

But I think it is...

Scarey, isn't it? You know, I heard that when they introduced SS #'s they
swore they weren't going to be used for identification....

Alice

--
The root cause of problems is simple overpopulation. People just aren't
worth very much any more, and they know it. Makes 'em testy. ...Bev
|\ _,,,---,,_ Tigress
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ http://havoc.gtf.gatech.edu/tigress
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_) Cat by Felix Lee.

July 10th 03, 08:15 PM
(Sherry ) wrote:
> >Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
> >security number?
> >

> > -MIKE
>
> I'm sure a criss-cross reference for SS#'s is available to law
> enforcement agencies, but I would sincerely hope NOT to the general
> public.
>
> Sherry

You can only look them up online if the person who "owns" the SSN in
question is dead. There is a Social Security Death Register at:

www.publicdata.com

July 10th 03, 08:15 PM
(Sherry ) wrote:
> >Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
> >security number?
> >

> > -MIKE
>
> I'm sure a criss-cross reference for SS#'s is available to law
> enforcement agencies, but I would sincerely hope NOT to the general
> public.
>
> Sherry

You can only look them up online if the person who "owns" the SSN in
question is dead. There is a Social Security Death Register at:

www.publicdata.com

Sherry
July 10th 03, 11:00 PM
>> I'm sure a criss-cross reference for SS#'s is available to law
>> enforcement agencies, but I would sincerely hope NOT to the general
>> public.
>>
>> Sherry
>
>You can only look them up online if the person who "owns" the SSN in
>question is dead. There is a Social Security Death Register at:
>
>www.publicdata.com

This backward state *finally* took our SS# off our driver's licenses. Way past
overdue. That should *not* be easily available to anyone. Also, if your horse
trailer isn't tagged here, you are required to post your SSN on the rear of it.
I always transposed the last two digits.

Sherry

Sherry
July 10th 03, 11:00 PM
>> I'm sure a criss-cross reference for SS#'s is available to law
>> enforcement agencies, but I would sincerely hope NOT to the general
>> public.
>>
>> Sherry
>
>You can only look them up online if the person who "owns" the SSN in
>question is dead. There is a Social Security Death Register at:
>
>www.publicdata.com

This backward state *finally* took our SS# off our driver's licenses. Way past
overdue. That should *not* be easily available to anyone. Also, if your horse
trailer isn't tagged here, you are required to post your SSN on the rear of it.
I always transposed the last two digits.

Sherry

MaryL
July 10th 03, 11:44 PM
> wrote in message
> MacCandace > wrote:
> > I would hope that would not be public information. It certainly
shouldn't be.

> But I think it is...
>
> Scarey, isn't it? You know, I heard that when they introduced SS #'s they
> swore they weren't going to be used for identification....
>

> Alice

Yes, it is scary, and the Social Security Administration STILL has a rule
that SS is not to be used as indentification. What a laugh! The University
where I work requires us to write our SS numbers on every check they cash,
and these numbers are readily available to others (starting with the people
who handle the checks). Ironically, faculty are not permitted to use any
part of SS numbers for grade posting (not even 3 or 4 digits of the number,
as we once did), but every university I have ever been associated with uses
the number as the "student's ID" and prints them for all faculty,
administrators, etc. This is only the tip of the iceberg, of course -- the
part that I am most familiar with, but you will also find that stores
require SS numbers if you want to open an account and various commercial
entities use them for identification. I recently attended a speech given by
the director of the local Soc. Sec. office, and he described using SS as
identification as one of his "pet peeves."

MaryL

MaryL
July 10th 03, 11:44 PM
> wrote in message
> MacCandace > wrote:
> > I would hope that would not be public information. It certainly
shouldn't be.

> But I think it is...
>
> Scarey, isn't it? You know, I heard that when they introduced SS #'s they
> swore they weren't going to be used for identification....
>

> Alice

Yes, it is scary, and the Social Security Administration STILL has a rule
that SS is not to be used as indentification. What a laugh! The University
where I work requires us to write our SS numbers on every check they cash,
and these numbers are readily available to others (starting with the people
who handle the checks). Ironically, faculty are not permitted to use any
part of SS numbers for grade posting (not even 3 or 4 digits of the number,
as we once did), but every university I have ever been associated with uses
the number as the "student's ID" and prints them for all faculty,
administrators, etc. This is only the tip of the iceberg, of course -- the
part that I am most familiar with, but you will also find that stores
require SS numbers if you want to open an account and various commercial
entities use them for identification. I recently attended a speech given by
the director of the local Soc. Sec. office, and he described using SS as
identification as one of his "pet peeves."

MaryL

July 11th 03, 01:48 AM
You can get them for a particular person, but not via free services.

Cross reference, having a number, and finding out what person it
belongs to blindly, may not be possible, except for government agencies
etc. Call your local credit bureau and ask them if it can be done.

(---MIKE---) wrote in message >...
> Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
> security number?
>

> -MIKE

MaryL
July 12th 03, 10:30 PM
"Scott in Aztlan" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:41:42 -0400 (EDT),
(---MIKE---)
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
> >security number?
>
> Any credit reporting agency (TRW, Equifax, Trans Union, or whatever
they're
> calling themselves these days) could. So could any good private detective.

The credit reporting agencies do have access to SS numbers (along with all
sorts of other "private" information), but I certainly hope they don't pass
these along to just any person who calls and asks for it. On the other
hand, it is entirely too easy to gain access to personal information.

MaryL

MaryL
July 12th 03, 10:30 PM
"Scott in Aztlan" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 18:41:42 -0400 (EDT),
(---MIKE---)
> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know a site that would tell me who belongs to a social
> >security number?
>
> Any credit reporting agency (TRW, Equifax, Trans Union, or whatever
they're
> calling themselves these days) could. So could any good private detective.

The credit reporting agencies do have access to SS numbers (along with all
sorts of other "private" information), but I certainly hope they don't pass
these along to just any person who calls and asks for it. On the other
hand, it is entirely too easy to gain access to personal information.

MaryL

July 13th 03, 11:24 PM
You pay the fee, they'll give you the data....

"MaryL" > wrote in message
> The credit reporting agencies do have access to SS numbers (along with all
> sorts of other "private" information), but I certainly hope they don't pass
> these along to just any person who calls and asks for it. On the other
> hand, it is entirely too easy to gain access to personal information.
>
> MaryL

---MIKE---
July 14th 03, 01:24 AM
Let me put this thread to rest. It turned out that the SS number in
question turned out to be that of a deceased relative. The whole thing
started because of some shares of stock that bore my name but a
different SS number. Problem solved!

-MIKE

---MIKE---
July 14th 03, 01:24 AM
Let me put this thread to rest. It turned out that the SS number in
question turned out to be that of a deceased relative. The whole thing
started because of some shares of stock that bore my name but a
different SS number. Problem solved!

-MIKE

David S.
July 14th 03, 06:07 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> Let me put this thread to rest. It turned out that the SS number in
> question turned out to be that of a deceased relative. The whole thing
> started because of some shares of stock that bore my name but a
> different SS number. Problem solved!

No, the way to put this thread to rest is to tell us HOW you got the number.
Well?

David

David S.
July 14th 03, 06:07 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> Let me put this thread to rest. It turned out that the SS number in
> question turned out to be that of a deceased relative. The whole thing
> started because of some shares of stock that bore my name but a
> different SS number. Problem solved!

No, the way to put this thread to rest is to tell us HOW you got the number.
Well?

David

David S.
July 15th 03, 03:10 PM
"Laura R." > wrote in message
.net...

> He didn't say that he got the number.

Then how could he know that the number was that of a dead relative?
(Assuming that he didn't consult with Ms. Cleo, of course.)

David

David S.
July 15th 03, 03:10 PM
"Laura R." > wrote in message
.net...

> He didn't say that he got the number.

Then how could he know that the number was that of a dead relative?
(Assuming that he didn't consult with Ms. Cleo, of course.)

David

---MIKE---
July 15th 03, 06:20 PM
OK - here is how I got the number. While my step mother was living, I
sent her mortgage payments every month. The interest was tax
deductible. I checked my old tax returns (schedule for itemized
deductions) and her social security number was on there. Same number.

-MIKE

---MIKE---
July 15th 03, 06:20 PM
OK - here is how I got the number. While my step mother was living, I
sent her mortgage payments every month. The interest was tax
deductible. I checked my old tax returns (schedule for itemized
deductions) and her social security number was on there. Same number.

-MIKE

David S.
July 16th 03, 03:01 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> OK - here is how I got the number.

All right. NOW the thread is put to rest. (But I did get the last word.)

David

David S.
July 16th 03, 03:01 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> OK - here is how I got the number.

All right. NOW the thread is put to rest. (But I did get the last word.)

David

---MIKE---
July 16th 03, 05:39 PM
Are you sure?

-MIKE

---MIKE---
July 16th 03, 05:39 PM
Are you sure?

-MIKE

David S.
July 17th 03, 09:52 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> Are you sure?

No, no, no. Hold off. The responder is supposed to be female. Give Laura
R. a chance, guy. :-D

David

David S.
July 17th 03, 09:52 PM