PDA

View Full Version : Re: Also.........

Kalyahna
July 16th 03, 03:29 AM
"dave johnson" > wrote in message
> Anyone here have cats currently taking phenobarbitone or similar drugs to
> control seizures?
>
> What are your findings?

My little cat has idiopathic epilepsy, and has recently been weaned off of
phenobarbitol. The phenobarb always worked very well, though my vet
cautioned that a cat may come to rely on the meds, and that they can build
up a tolerance toward it over periods of time. So if your cat, after a few
months or years or whatnot, happens to have another seizure, take him back
to the vet (obviously); he may just need an increased dose, or a different
kind of sedative.

Incidentally, it turns out that cats who are on phenobarbitol and are
euthanised in the future... well, I was told it'd be a good thing to tell
the vet, as a number of euthanasia products use pentobarbitol. Same family
as phenobarb, so they may need to use more than normal, due to the tolerance
build-up.