PDA

View Full Version : Cats Nursing Mice

Cat Protector
July 18th 03, 08:29 AM
Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0718thebuzz0718.html

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

moi
July 18th 03, 09:38 AM
I can believe it. My female Siamese adopted my son's guinea pigs! She didn't
go as far as nursing them - they were weaned and she had no kittens. However
she would take me to their pen and meow until I got them out and put them on
my knee, then she would sit with them (usually on top of them). She seemed
to get a lot of pleasure and it was quite deliberate. She also likes to run
around with them - but it is definitely playing and not hunting. We haven't
had a lid on the indoor pen for well over 12 months and have no worries. At
the moment they are in a pen in the garden and the cat often goes and sits
on the pen.

Moi

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0718thebuzz0
718.html

> --
> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of All Your Computer Needs!
> www.members.cox.net/catprotector/panthertek
>
> Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
> www.catgalaxymedia.com

moi
July 18th 03, 09:38 AM
I can believe it. My female Siamese adopted my son's guinea pigs! She didn't
go as far as nursing them - they were weaned and she had no kittens. However
she would take me to their pen and meow until I got them out and put them on
my knee, then she would sit with them (usually on top of them). She seemed
to get a lot of pleasure and it was quite deliberate. She also likes to run
around with them - but it is definitely playing and not hunting. We haven't
had a lid on the indoor pen for well over 12 months and have no worries. At
the moment they are in a pen in the garden and the cat often goes and sits
on the pen.

Moi

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0718thebuzz0
718.html

> --
> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of All Your Computer Needs!
> www.members.cox.net/catprotector/panthertek
>
> Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
> www.catgalaxymedia.com

Karen Chuplis
July 18th 03, 12:17 PM
in article [email protected], Cat Protector at
wrote on 7/18/03 2:29 AM:

> Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.
>
> http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0718thebuzz071
> 8.html

Well, that cat in Thailand made friends with a mouse. There is a cat with a
HUGE mothering instinct!

Karen

wrote on 7/18/03 2:29 AM:

> Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.
>
> http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0718thebuzz071
> 8.html

Well, that cat in Thailand made friends with a mouse. There is a cat with a
HUGE mothering instinct!

Karen

Bill
July 18th 03, 08:26 PM
>"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0718thebuzz0
718.html

> --
> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of All Your Computer Needs!
> www.members.cox.net/catprotector/panthertek
>
> Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
> www.catgalaxymedia.com

Kittens have to be taught by their mothers what their prey is.

If a cat was never taught a mouse is prey, it may very well not recognize it
as such. It's a bit more unusual for a cat to nurse a mouse.

I have a friend whose dog would let the family's adult cat nurse along with
her litter of puppies, so interspecies nursing isn't unknown.

Bill

Bill
July 18th 03, 08:26 PM
>"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0718thebuzz0
718.html

> --
> Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of All Your Computer Needs!
> www.members.cox.net/catprotector/panthertek
>
> Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
> www.catgalaxymedia.com

Kittens have to be taught by their mothers what their prey is.

If a cat was never taught a mouse is prey, it may very well not recognize it
as such. It's a bit more unusual for a cat to nurse a mouse.

I have a friend whose dog would let the family's adult cat nurse along with
her litter of puppies, so interspecies nursing isn't unknown.

Bill

Cat Protector
July 18th 03, 08:58 PM
If a mouse gets in this household it's all over....for the mouse. Isis would
definately kill it but I am unsure about Jade.

"moi" > wrote in message
> I can believe it. My female Siamese adopted my son's guinea pigs! She
didn't
> go as far as nursing them - they were weaned and she had no kittens.
However
> she would take me to their pen and meow until I got them out and put them
on
> my knee, then she would sit with them (usually on top of them). She seemed
> to get a lot of pleasure and it was quite deliberate. She also likes to
run
> around with them - but it is definitely playing and not hunting. We
haven't
> had a lid on the indoor pen for well over 12 months and have no worries.
At
> the moment they are in a pen in the garden and the cat often goes and sits
> on the pen.
>
> Moi
>
> "Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> > Now I have heard everything. Perhaps this cat is confused.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/arizonaliving/articles/0718thebuzz0
> 718.html
> >
> > --
> > Panther TEK: Staying On Top Of All Your Computer Needs!
> > www.members.cox.net/catprotector/panthertek
> >
> > Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
> > www.catgalaxymedia.com

Cat Protector
July 19th 03, 08:17 PM
I remember seeing a story where a crow befriended a kitten. It was the
craziest thing I ever saw but apparently the crow watched out for the kitten
and apparently even brought the young one food.