PDA

View Full Version : How'd a Siamese get in this litter?

Luramao
July 25th 03, 05:48 AM
I was just looking thru the private party adoption web site at
www.k9adopt.org, when I happened upon this: a rescued/stray female gray
& black tiger was up for adoption with her litter which consisted of 3
typical tiger gray & black kittens and a 'Siamese looking one". I
scrolled down and was a bit shocked. The tiger mom and her 3 tiger
kittens looked like typical tigers, not even like part Siamese, but
there at the bottom was.....a Siamese kitten. It didnt look even
'part Siamese" or "half Siamese" .... it looked for all the world like
your typical seal point Siamese kitten (trad type). If the mom mated
with a Siamese tom (a feral Siamese?) shouldn't the other kittens at
least have some kind of Siamese hint in them? (or be those black
oriental types?) I looked just so very odd; a typical tiger
family....with this Siamese thrown in for variety. Is this something
that 'happens'?

Arjun Ray
July 25th 03, 06:24 AM
In >,
(Luramao) wrote:

| [It] looked just so very odd; a typical tiger family....with this
| Siamese thrown in for variety. Is this something that 'happens'?

Yes. Multiple fathers of a litter are not uncommon. Cats are induced
ovulators: a queen in heat will continue to mate until the body decides
that pregnancy is guaranteed.

(However, other explanations are also possible. For instance, the
siamese could be an orphan, put in with this litter for the wet nurse.)

Arjun Ray
July 25th 03, 06:24 AM
In >,
(Luramao) wrote:

| [It] looked just so very odd; a typical tiger family....with this
| Siamese thrown in for variety. Is this something that 'happens'?

Yes. Multiple fathers of a litter are not uncommon. Cats are induced
ovulators: a queen in heat will continue to mate until the body decides
that pregnancy is guaranteed.

(However, other explanations are also possible. For instance, the
siamese could be an orphan, put in with this litter for the wet nurse.)

Priscilla H Ballou
July 25th 03, 05:21 PM
Luramao > quoth:
>If the mom mated
>with a Siamese tom (a feral Siamese?) shouldn't the other kittens at
>least have some kind of Siamese hint in them?

A litter of kittens can have more than one father among them. Sounds like
that's what happened in this case.

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Priscilla H Ballou
July 25th 03, 05:21 PM
Luramao > quoth:
>If the mom mated
>with a Siamese tom (a feral Siamese?) shouldn't the other kittens at
>least have some kind of Siamese hint in them?

A litter of kittens can have more than one father among them. Sounds like
that's what happened in this case.

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
(from topfive.com)

Priscilla H Ballou
July 25th 03, 08:53 PM
Tony > quoth:
>I have a siamese looking cat that was mixed in a litter of non-siamese.
>In this picture the gray cat on the left is the father and the black one in the
>rear is the mother of the siamese
>http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others.jpg
>Here is a better shot showing her face.
>http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others1.jpg

Wow. The little tiny bit of genetics I got in high school biology class
is flashing through my brain.

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
(from topfive.com)

Priscilla H Ballou
July 25th 03, 08:53 PM
Tony > quoth:
>I have a siamese looking cat that was mixed in a litter of non-siamese.
>In this picture the gray cat on the left is the father and the black one in the
>rear is the mother of the siamese
>http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others.jpg
>Here is a better shot showing her face.
>http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others1.jpg

Wow. The little tiny bit of genetics I got in high school biology class
is flashing through my brain.

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
(from topfive.com)

Karen Chuplis
July 25th 03, 09:19 PM
What a sweet bunch!!

Karen

"Tony" > wrote in message
> I have a siamese looking cat that was mixed in a litter of non-siamese.
>
> In this picture the gray cat on the left is the father and the black one
in the
> rear is the mother of the siamese
>
> http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others.jpg
>
> Here is a better shot showing her face.
> http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others1.jpg
>
> Tony

Karen Chuplis
July 25th 03, 09:19 PM
What a sweet bunch!!

Karen

"Tony" > wrote in message
> I have a siamese looking cat that was mixed in a litter of non-siamese.
>
> In this picture the gray cat on the left is the father and the black one
in the
> rear is the mother of the siamese
>
> http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others.jpg
>
> Here is a better shot showing her face.
> http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others1.jpg
>
> Tony

Tony
July 25th 03, 09:25 PM
Forgot to mention that there is no chance here of multiple fathers. The gray
and black cats never left the house. Zena , the siamese, does have blue eyes
but they came out orange in that shot.

>http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others.jpg

>http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others1.jpg

Tony

Tony
July 25th 03, 09:25 PM
Forgot to mention that there is no chance here of multiple fathers. The gray
and black cats never left the house. Zena , the siamese, does have blue eyes
but they came out orange in that shot.

>http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others.jpg

>http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others1.jpg

Tony

Tony
July 25th 03, 09:49 PM
Not to steal the thread but just for the heck of it here is Zena at about 4-5
weeks. At birth she showed no signs of being "different" - just an all "dirty"
white kitten. At about six weeks I gave away the rest of the litter but decided
I better keep her. Glad I did. Extremely friendly cat and walks aroung the
house screaming loudly for no reason just like a siamese.

http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/zena.jpg

It took close to 6 months for her to fully develop her colors

http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others.jpg

http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others1.jpg

Tony

Tony
July 25th 03, 09:49 PM
Not to steal the thread but just for the heck of it here is Zena at about 4-5
weeks. At birth she showed no signs of being "different" - just an all "dirty"
white kitten. At about six weeks I gave away the rest of the litter but decided
I better keep her. Glad I did. Extremely friendly cat and walks aroung the
house screaming loudly for no reason just like a siamese.

http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/zena.jpg

It took close to 6 months for her to fully develop her colors

http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others.jpg

http://members.aol.com/alg460/bigfluff/others1.jpg

Tony

Sherry
July 25th 03, 10:52 PM
>orgot to mention that there is no chance here of multiple fathers. The gray
>and black cats never left the house. Zena , the siamese, does have blue eyes
>but they came out orange in that shot.

Lots of litters with a Siamese mom seem to have all-black kittens. Maybe your
mom cat has some Siamese parentage?

Sherry

Sherry
July 25th 03, 10:52 PM
>orgot to mention that there is no chance here of multiple fathers. The gray
>and black cats never left the house. Zena , the siamese, does have blue eyes
>but they came out orange in that shot.

Lots of litters with a Siamese mom seem to have all-black kittens. Maybe your
mom cat has some Siamese parentage?

Sherry

Sherry
July 26th 03, 05:21 AM
>Pearl is black but everything else is Siamese. Man, talk about walking
>around screaming over nothing. It makes me crazy. She wants into the hall
>sometimes (which would be boring but she doesn't believe that. *sigh*. I
>don't know what to do to make her happy.) but sometimes she jsut meows over
>nothing. *sigh*
>
>Karen

I don't know what the genetics are, but I've just seen too many Siamese moms
brought to the shelter with litters of black kittens, sometimes even tuxedos,
not to believe it's common for black cats to be part Siamese. Especially with
her being so vocal, I bet she is too. Does she have a triangular head?

Sherry

Sherry
July 26th 03, 05:21 AM
>Pearl is black but everything else is Siamese. Man, talk about walking
>around screaming over nothing. It makes me crazy. She wants into the hall
>sometimes (which would be boring but she doesn't believe that. *sigh*. I
>don't know what to do to make her happy.) but sometimes she jsut meows over
>nothing. *sigh*
>
>Karen

I don't know what the genetics are, but I've just seen too many Siamese moms
brought to the shelter with litters of black kittens, sometimes even tuxedos,
not to believe it's common for black cats to be part Siamese. Especially with
her being so vocal, I bet she is too. Does she have a triangular head?

Sherry

Karen Chuplis
July 26th 03, 05:23 AM
in article , Sherry at

wrote on 7/25/03 4:52 PM:

>> orgot to mention that there is no chance here of multiple fathers. The gray
>> and black cats never left the house. Zena , the siamese, does have blue eyes
>> but they came out orange in that shot.
>
> Lots of litters with a Siamese mom seem to have all-black kittens. Maybe your
> mom cat has some Siamese parentage?
>
> Sherry

Pearl is black but everything else is Siamese. Man, talk about walking
around screaming over nothing. It makes me crazy. She wants into the hall
sometimes (which would be boring but she doesn't believe that. *sigh*. I
don't know what to do to make her happy.) but sometimes she jsut meows over
nothing. *sigh*

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 26th 03, 06:10 AM
in article , Sherry at
wrote on 7/25/03 11:21 PM:

>> Pearl is black but everything else is Siamese. Man, talk about walking
>> around screaming over nothing. It makes me crazy. She wants into the hall
>> sometimes (which would be boring but she doesn't believe that. *sigh*. I
>> don't know what to do to make her happy.) but sometimes she jsut meows over
>> nothing. *sigh*
>>
>> Karen
>>

> I don't know what the genetics are, but I've just seen too many Siamese moms
> brought to the shelter with litters of black kittens, sometimes even tuxedos,
> not to believe it's common for black cats to be part Siamese. Especially with
> her being so vocal, I bet she is too. Does she have a triangular head?
>
> Sherry

Oh yeah. And triangular ears. If she had the coloring, you wouldn't know the
difference :) She's very pretty and cute as hell when she is being sweet.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 26th 03, 06:10 AM
in article , Sherry at
wrote on 7/25/03 11:21 PM:

>> Pearl is black but everything else is Siamese. Man, talk about walking
>> around screaming over nothing. It makes me crazy. She wants into the hall
>> sometimes (which would be boring but she doesn't believe that. *sigh*. I
>> don't know what to do to make her happy.) but sometimes she jsut meows over
>> nothing. *sigh*
>>
>> Karen
>>

> I don't know what the genetics are, but I've just seen too many Siamese moms
> brought to the shelter with litters of black kittens, sometimes even tuxedos,
> not to believe it's common for black cats to be part Siamese. Especially with
> her being so vocal, I bet she is too. Does she have a triangular head?
>
> Sherry

Oh yeah. And triangular ears. If she had the coloring, you wouldn't know the
difference :) She's very pretty and cute as hell when she is being sweet.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 26th 03, 01:01 PM
in article , -L. at
wrote on 7/26/03 12:56 AM:

> (Sherry ) wrote in message
>>> orgot to mention that there is no chance here of multiple fathers. The gray
>>> and black cats never left the house. Zena , the siamese, does have blue eyes
>>> but they came out orange in that shot.
>>
>> Lots of litters with a Siamese mom seem to have all-black kittens.
>
> IIRC, black is partially dominant.
>
>> Maybe your
>> mom cat has some Siamese parentage?
>>
>> Sherry
>
> My "black siamese" Pookie (RIP) was from a litter that had orange
> tiger, orange and white, black, grey tiger and blue-point looking
> kittens. I think the point markings pop up a lot. Pookie acted
> siamese but looked black - with a tiny white "moon and stars" on his
> belly. His brother, George (RIP), was all big orange Tommy, though.
>
> -L.

Pearl has a little white "V" on the inside of one ankle, a white splotch on
her tummy and one very faint but perfectly straight white line on another
leg, like she ran into a wire or something.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 26th 03, 01:01 PM
in article , -L. at
wrote on 7/26/03 12:56 AM:

> (Sherry ) wrote in message
>>> orgot to mention that there is no chance here of multiple fathers. The gray
>>> and black cats never left the house. Zena , the siamese, does have blue eyes
>>> but they came out orange in that shot.
>>
>> Lots of litters with a Siamese mom seem to have all-black kittens.
>
> IIRC, black is partially dominant.
>
>> Maybe your
>> mom cat has some Siamese parentage?
>>
>> Sherry
>
> My "black siamese" Pookie (RIP) was from a litter that had orange
> tiger, orange and white, black, grey tiger and blue-point looking
> kittens. I think the point markings pop up a lot. Pookie acted
> siamese but looked black - with a tiny white "moon and stars" on his
> belly. His brother, George (RIP), was all big orange Tommy, though.
>
> -L.

Pearl has a little white "V" on the inside of one ankle, a white splotch on
her tummy and one very faint but perfectly straight white line on another
leg, like she ran into a wire or something.

Karen

Sherry
July 27th 03, 02:57 AM
>Of Peewee gets an injury, it grows in white. His recent bout of
>ringworm has left him dappled with white. :(
>
>-L.

Bootsie 2 had that! She had a bald paatch on the top of her head, and when the
hair grrew back in, it was white.

Sherry

Sherry
July 27th 03, 02:57 AM
>Of Peewee gets an injury, it grows in white. His recent bout of
>ringworm has left him dappled with white. :(
>
>-L.

Bootsie 2 had that! She had a bald paatch on the top of her head, and when the
hair grrew back in, it was white.

Sherry

Cheryl
July 27th 03, 03:37 AM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >Of Peewee gets an injury, it grows in white. His recent bout of
> >ringworm has left him dappled with white. :(
> >
> >-L.
>
> Bootsie 2 had that! She had a bald paatch on the top of her head,
and when the
> hair grrew back in, it was white.
>
> Sherry

Shadow has a lot more white on his belly than he had before it was
shaved. I've also noticed that Shamrock's bouts with the skin
allergies has left him with a white streak on his back where I thought
it used to be solid black. I can't be sure since he's had so many
problems since I got him but his stripe looks like a skunk stripe. But
then again, he has a lot of white on his underside and arms and face
so I just can't remember what his back looked like fully furred.
Funny thing about Bonnie, she doesn't have any white on her at all.
Solid black, but in the sunlight it has a brown tinge to it (as does
Shadow). Combed off fur is gray.

Cheryl
July 27th 03, 03:37 AM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >Of Peewee gets an injury, it grows in white. His recent bout of
> >ringworm has left him dappled with white. :(
> >
> >-L.
>
> Bootsie 2 had that! She had a bald paatch on the top of her head,
and when the
> hair grrew back in, it was white.
>
> Sherry

Shadow has a lot more white on his belly than he had before it was
shaved. I've also noticed that Shamrock's bouts with the skin
allergies has left him with a white streak on his back where I thought
it used to be solid black. I can't be sure since he's had so many
problems since I got him but his stripe looks like a skunk stripe. But
then again, he has a lot of white on his underside and arms and face
so I just can't remember what his back looked like fully furred.
Funny thing about Bonnie, she doesn't have any white on her at all.
Solid black, but in the sunlight it has a brown tinge to it (as does
Shadow). Combed off fur is gray.

-L.
July 27th 03, 10:20 AM
Karen Chuplis > wrote in message >...
> in article , -L. at
> wrote on 7/26/03 8:55 PM:
>
> > Karen Chuplis > wrote in message
> >> in article , -L. at

> >> Pearl has a little white "V" on the inside of one ankle, a white splotch on
> >> her tummy and one very faint but perfectly straight white line on another
> >> leg, like she ran into a wire or something.
> >>
> >> Karen
> >

> > Of Peewee gets an injury, it grows in white. His recent bout of
> > ringworm has left him dappled with white. :(
> >
> > -L.
>
> Weeeellll now, that's interesting. That v is so perfect and the one line is
> VERY straight and long. I have to check again (when she is lounging. She is
> not the most malleable cat) but if it's her arthritic leg, I wonder if she
> wasn't hit by a car when little or something. Since she is only 6 and has
> always limped, we think the arthritis, which is very extensive in that knee
> but appears no where else on her, might be trauma related.
>
> Karen

It is a really weird phenomenon. I didn't believe it until I *knew*
he had been injured in certain places, and then it grew in white.
Now, the "moon and stars" on his belly he's had forever, so I think
that is natural. But the spotting most certainly is skin damage.
Recently he lost a whisker, apparently prematurely, and it grew in
white. And as he ages, the change seems to happen more readliy. (He
turned 12 in February).

-L.

-L.
July 27th 03, 10:20 AM
Karen Chuplis > wrote in message >...
> in article , -L. at
> wrote on 7/26/03 8:55 PM:
>
> > Karen Chuplis > wrote in message
> >> in article , -L. at

> >> Pearl has a little white "V" on the inside of one ankle, a white splotch on
> >> her tummy and one very faint but perfectly straight white line on another
> >> leg, like she ran into a wire or something.
> >>
> >> Karen
> >

> > Of Peewee gets an injury, it grows in white. His recent bout of
> > ringworm has left him dappled with white. :(
> >
> > -L.
>
> Weeeellll now, that's interesting. That v is so perfect and the one line is
> VERY straight and long. I have to check again (when she is lounging. She is
> not the most malleable cat) but if it's her arthritic leg, I wonder if she
> wasn't hit by a car when little or something. Since she is only 6 and has
> always limped, we think the arthritis, which is very extensive in that knee
> but appears no where else on her, might be trauma related.
>
> Karen

It is a really weird phenomenon. I didn't believe it until I *knew*
he had been injured in certain places, and then it grew in white.
Now, the "moon and stars" on his belly he's had forever, so I think
that is natural. But the spotting most certainly is skin damage.
Recently he lost a whisker, apparently prematurely, and it grew in
white. And as he ages, the change seems to happen more readliy. (He
turned 12 in February).

-L.

Karen Chuplis
July 27th 03, 12:28 PM
in article , -L. at
wrote on 7/27/03 4:20 AM:

> Karen Chuplis > wrote in message
>> in article , -L. at
>> wrote on 7/26/03 8:55 PM:

>>> Of Peewee gets an injury, it grows in white. His recent bout of
>>> ringworm has left him dappled with white. :(
>>>
>>> -L.
>>
>> Weeeellll now, that's interesting. That v is so perfect and the one line is
>> VERY straight and long. I have to check again (when she is lounging. She is
>> not the most malleable cat) but if it's her arthritic leg, I wonder if she
>> wasn't hit by a car when little or something. Since she is only 6 and has
>> always limped, we think the arthritis, which is very extensive in that knee
>> but appears no where else on her, might be trauma related.
>>
>> Karen
>

> It is a really weird phenomenon. I didn't believe it until I *knew*
> he had been injured in certain places, and then it grew in white.
> Now, the "moon and stars" on his belly he's had forever, so I think
> that is natural. But the spotting most certainly is skin damage.
> Recently he lost a whisker, apparently prematurely, and it grew in
> white. And as he ages, the change seems to happen more readliy. (He
> turned 12 in February).
>
> -L.

I checked last night and sure enough the little mark is on her bad leg! I
know her tummy is natural, but I really wonder about a couple of the other
markings now.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 27th 03, 12:28 PM