PDA

View Full Version : Frontline shipped to the UK.

izy aranh
July 27th 03, 07:25 AM
Hello I am new to posting on newsgroups; I am wondering if anyone can
help me find a good online pet store that will ship frontline for cats
to the UK.
I have frankly had it with my vet and paying her the equivalent of $40
every 2 months just for her to walk in give me a smile and quick
thumbs up after having just barely glanced at my cat, I swear the
receptionist knows more than this woman.
So having even confronted her with the absurdity of paying her for the
privilege of buying frontline from her she recommended I may want to
try and find a method more suitable to me....if I could that is.
I figure while I am at it can anyone also tell me why this is still
prescription only from the vets in the UK when it is widely used as an
over the counter product in the USA, surely the first time it is used
maybe it would be a good idea having the vet (or her receptionist
around :-) after which really there should be no need for them if
kitty has shown no ill effects to the product.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

izy aranh
July 27th 03, 05:51 PM
> Are you not able to buy it from the reception like I am at my vet?
>
> Kim x

Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring him
in every few months is beyond me.
This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

izy aranh
July 27th 03, 05:51 PM
> Are you not able to buy it from the reception like I am at my vet?
>
> Kim x

Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring him
in every few months is beyond me.
This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

Sherry
July 27th 03, 10:29 PM
>Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
>called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
>drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring him
>in every few months is beyond me.
>This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

I just think that is so silly. Advantage and Frontline have been on the market
long enough they have a proven track record--far surpassing Hartz and other
over-the-counter products in fewer allergic reactions, and I've *never* been
able to find one, single death attributed to them. Yet you still have to get
them from the vet. If there's a valid reason for this that I'm missing, I'd
like to hear it. Otherwise, it just seems like a racket.

Sherry

Sherry
July 27th 03, 10:29 PM
>Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
>called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
>drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring him
>in every few months is beyond me.
>This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

I just think that is so silly. Advantage and Frontline have been on the market
long enough they have a proven track record--far surpassing Hartz and other
over-the-counter products in fewer allergic reactions, and I've *never* been
able to find one, single death attributed to them. Yet you still have to get
them from the vet. If there's a valid reason for this that I'm missing, I'd
like to hear it. Otherwise, it just seems like a racket.

Sherry

Shirley
July 27th 03, 10:48 PM
"izy aranh" > wrote in message
om...
> > Are you not able to buy it from the reception like I am at my vet?
> >
> > Kim x
>

> Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
> called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
> drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring
him
> in every few months is beyond me.
> This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

Frontline Drops come in 3 and 6 month packs, is your vet splitting
packs ? FWIW as long as my cat has a 12 monthly check up I can get
flea treatment without further consultations with the vet, maybe it's
time for you to find a new vet !
--
Shirley
see my cats at

Shirley
July 27th 03, 10:48 PM
"izy aranh" > wrote in message
om...
> > Are you not able to buy it from the reception like I am at my vet?
> >
> > Kim x
>

> Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
> called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
> drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring
him
> in every few months is beyond me.
> This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

Frontline Drops come in 3 and 6 month packs, is your vet splitting
packs ? FWIW as long as my cat has a 12 monthly check up I can get
flea treatment without further consultations with the vet, maybe it's
time for you to find a new vet !
--
Shirley
see my cats at
http://communities.msn.co.uk/Friendsfamilyandfelines2
http://uk.msnusers.com/friendsfamilyandfelines3

Cheryl
July 27th 03, 10:51 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
> >called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
> >drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring
him
> >in every few months is beyond me.
> >This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?
>
> I just think that is so silly. Advantage and Frontline have been on
the market
> long enough they have a proven track record--far surpassing Hartz
and other
> over-the-counter products in fewer allergic reactions, and I've
*never* been
> able to find one, single death attributed to them. Yet you still
have to get
> them from the vet. If there's a valid reason for this that I'm
missing, I'd
> like to hear it. Otherwise, it just seems like a racket.
>
> Sherry

Off topic, but the newest dog remedy K9 advantix caused a bad reaction
in 1 of my friends 3 dogs and the other 2 were itching but not as
drastically. Her poodle with the bad reaction had to have a couple of
doses of benedryl since once it is in the system, it stays there for
at least a month. Poor lil girl... she shows her and the poodle was
ripping her fur out.

Cheryl
July 27th 03, 10:51 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
> >called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
> >drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring
him
> >in every few months is beyond me.
> >This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?
>
> I just think that is so silly. Advantage and Frontline have been on
the market
> long enough they have a proven track record--far surpassing Hartz
and other
> over-the-counter products in fewer allergic reactions, and I've
*never* been
> able to find one, single death attributed to them. Yet you still
have to get
> them from the vet. If there's a valid reason for this that I'm
missing, I'd
> like to hear it. Otherwise, it just seems like a racket.
>
> Sherry

Off topic, but the newest dog remedy K9 advantix caused a bad reaction
in 1 of my friends 3 dogs and the other 2 were itching but not as
drastically. Her poodle with the bad reaction had to have a couple of
doses of benedryl since once it is in the system, it stays there for
at least a month. Poor lil girl... she shows her and the poodle was
ripping her fur out.

Cathy Friedmann
July 27th 03, 11:01 PM
"izy aranh" > wrote in message
om...
> > Are you not able to buy it from the reception like I am at my vet?
> >
> > Kim x
>

> Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
> called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
> drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring him
> in every few months is beyond me.
> This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

Nope, not the norm, AFAIK. Seems to me you should be able to purchase it
from the front counter at the vet's, without a check-up - & it's attendant
fee - each & every time! An annual check-up makes sense, but not what
you're dealing with. Is there another vet nearby who you could switch over
to, perhaps? If so, a phone call first, inquiring about their policies
(incl. the use of Frontline!), might help to decide. Or ask people who you
know have pets, & see which vet(s) they're happy with.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Cathy Friedmann
July 27th 03, 11:01 PM
"izy aranh" > wrote in message
om...
> > Are you not able to buy it from the reception like I am at my vet?
> >
> > Kim x
>

> Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
> called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
> drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring him
> in every few months is beyond me.
> This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

Nope, not the norm, AFAIK. Seems to me you should be able to purchase it
from the front counter at the vet's, without a check-up - & it's attendant
fee - each & every time! An annual check-up makes sense, but not what
you're dealing with. Is there another vet nearby who you could switch over
to, perhaps? If so, a phone call first, inquiring about their policies
(incl. the use of Frontline!), might help to decide. Or ask people who you
know have pets, & see which vet(s) they're happy with.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

Sherry
July 28th 03, 04:48 AM
>Off topic, but the newest dog remedy K9 advantix caused a bad reaction
>in 1 of my friends 3 dogs and the other 2 were itching but not as
>drastically. Her poodle with the bad reaction had to have a couple of
>doses of benedryl since once it is in the system, it stays there for
>at least a month. Poor lil girl... she shows her and the poodle was
>ripping her fur out.

Hmmm. I put some Advantix on Happy the Killer Weiner Dog Friday. He rolleddd
around in the grass forever. DH & I were musing about it. We thought he looked
uncomfortable, like his skin was burning. He never showed any other symptoms
though. He doesn't roll around like that with Frontline. Happy just had his
annual vet trip Friday. He had to get his biting license renewed. (that's what
DH calls his rabies shot).

Sherry

Sherry
July 28th 03, 04:48 AM
>Off topic, but the newest dog remedy K9 advantix caused a bad reaction
>in 1 of my friends 3 dogs and the other 2 were itching but not as
>drastically. Her poodle with the bad reaction had to have a couple of
>doses of benedryl since once it is in the system, it stays there for
>at least a month. Poor lil girl... she shows her and the poodle was
>ripping her fur out.

Hmmm. I put some Advantix on Happy the Killer Weiner Dog Friday. He rolleddd
around in the grass forever. DH & I were musing about it. We thought he looked
uncomfortable, like his skin was burning. He never showed any other symptoms
though. He doesn't roll around like that with Frontline. Happy just had his
annual vet trip Friday. He had to get his biting license renewed. (that's what
DH calls his rabies shot).

Sherry

John McCabe
July 28th 03, 09:29 AM
On 27 Jul 2003 09:51:32 -0700, (izy aranh) wrote:

>> Are you not able to buy it from the reception like I am at my vet?
>>
>> Kim x
>

>Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
>called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
>drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring him
>in every few months is beyond me.
>This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

No. You should be able to buy it at the reception.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

John McCabe
July 28th 03, 09:29 AM
On 27 Jul 2003 09:51:32 -0700, (izy aranh) wrote:

>> Are you not able to buy it from the reception like I am at my vet?
>>
>> Kim x
>

>Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
>called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
>drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring him
>in every few months is beyond me.
>This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

No. You should be able to buy it at the reception.

Best Regards
John McCabe

To reply by email replace 'nospam' with 'assen'

Rachel
July 28th 03, 12:54 PM
izy aranh wrote:
> Hello I am new to posting on newsgroups; I am wondering if anyone can
> help me find a good online pet store that will ship frontline for cats
> to the UK.
> I have frankly had it with my vet and paying her the equivalent of $40
> every 2 months just for her to walk in give me a smile and quick
> thumbs up after having just barely glanced at my cat, I swear the
> receptionist knows more than this woman.
> So having even confronted her with the absurdity of paying her for the
> privilege of buying frontline from her she recommended I may want to
> try and find a method more suitable to me....if I could that is.
> I figure while I am at it can anyone also tell me why this is still
> prescription only from the vets in the UK when it is widely used as an
> over the counter product in the USA, surely the first time it is used
> maybe it would be a good idea having the vet (or her receptionist
> around :-) after which really there should be no need for them if
> kitty has shown no ill effects to the product.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

I'm also in the UK, My cat has to have seen by the vet in the last 6 months
before you can buy Frontline. I buy the small spay bottle for around £20,
(it's been a while since I bought any). I just use a few squirts every
couple of months. I find you don't need to coat the animals entire fur in it
(as per the instructions) for it to be effective.

Rachel
July 28th 03, 12:54 PM
izy aranh wrote:
> Hello I am new to posting on newsgroups; I am wondering if anyone can
> help me find a good online pet store that will ship frontline for cats
> to the UK.
> I have frankly had it with my vet and paying her the equivalent of $40
> every 2 months just for her to walk in give me a smile and quick
> thumbs up after having just barely glanced at my cat, I swear the
> receptionist knows more than this woman.
> So having even confronted her with the absurdity of paying her for the
> privilege of buying frontline from her she recommended I may want to
> try and find a method more suitable to me....if I could that is.
> I figure while I am at it can anyone also tell me why this is still
> prescription only from the vets in the UK when it is widely used as an
> over the counter product in the USA, surely the first time it is used
> maybe it would be a good idea having the vet (or her receptionist
> around :-) after which really there should be no need for them if
> kitty has shown no ill effects to the product.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for reading.

I'm also in the UK, My cat has to have seen by the vet in the last 6 months
before you can buy Frontline. I buy the small spay bottle for around £20,
(it's been a while since I bought any). I just use a few squirts every
couple of months. I find you don't need to coat the animals entire fur in it
(as per the instructions) for it to be effective.

Alison
July 28th 03, 02:02 PM
"izy aranh" > wrote in message
om...
>> Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
> called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
> drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring
him
> in every few months is beyond me.
> This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

Hi ,
It's not the norm for me. I live in Middlessex, UK I know its
prescription but when I took Kim for her innnoculations I brought 6
months worth .
Alison

Alison
July 28th 03, 02:02 PM
"izy aranh" > wrote in message
om...
>> Only for a 2 month supply and only after i have paid to have a so
> called check up from her, it is not even like i will administer the
> drops at the vets as i do this at home so why i even need to bring
him
> in every few months is beyond me.
> This is my first cat and so i figure this is norm for everyone yes?

Hi ,
It's not the norm for me. I live in Middlessex, UK I know its
prescription but when I took Kim for her innnoculations I brought 6
months worth .
Alison

izy aranh
July 30th 03, 03:16 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied, Kim I would love to take you up on
your offer I am based North West but then I would really rather not
feel to impose on you.. Besides I think a more permanent solution as a
few others have suggested is in order.
I know of only two other people who keep pets, one he likes fish and
the other well she just loves parrots and in fact it was her who
recommended my current vet... besides being only a few minutes from
where I live she also happens to be a very kooky ol' lady was what she
said.
Kooky or not I know now that this vet is pretty much robbing me blind,
I actually really do not mind the cost at all any amount is worth
spending on kitty it is really just HER (the vet's) attitude towards
this racket (think that word about sums up what is going on here) she
knows I guess that she can get away with pretty much doing this.

I have started looking into finding another vet even though most are
based fairly far away, as for the person who mailed me this website
http://www.pets-megastore.com.au ......thank you it looks very
promising as they even mention that Customs would not be a problem as
long as any Frontline order was relatively small in amount.