PDA

View Full Version : How about a challenge????????

JHBennett
July 27th 03, 10:01 AM
OK, cat people, I ... well actually we, i.e. Mother, the cats, and I, need
some guidance from the best cat thinkers on the planet. I somehow feel this
is the moment to say "your mission, should you choose to accept it........"
because the situation is rather daunting, taking on aspects of *Mission
Impossible.*
I'll begin by telling the whole story, since neither of us were doing
anything else anyway;-)
About 3+ years ago, my 90 year old Mother opened the kitchen door to let
Rattler, our 15 year old arthritic dog, out to answer the call of nature.
She found a cat huddled against the door, trying to keep warm. We had 14
inches of snow at the time, and the temperature was well below freezing.
Feeling sorry for the poor creature, she set out a can of tuna for it. The
cat survived and was named Bootsie by Mother (you have to be a regular to
earn a name). The following Spring, Bootsie rewarded us by having two
kittens, White Stocking, a Tom, and Miss Kitty.
Along in there, somewhere, Mother happened to read the life expectancy
of feral cats was about 3 years. Mother is a cat person in good standing,
however, and it really is a very large HOWEVER, I am terribly allergic to
cats. I can't exactly say I have gone into anaphylactic shock because of
them, but once the doctor gave me a shot of adrenalin to keep me going.
Naturally, cats love me and will curl up on my coat for a nap, to the
exclusion of anywhere else, at any opportunity. Accordingly, Mother has
never been able to have a cat for a pet and I must always be mindful of my
contacts with them. That means washing my hands immediately after petting
one and never letting one get in my lap--unless I intend to change clothes
soon. Cleaning and vacuuming a place where a cat has been on a regular
basis doesn't work, as, while I was away at school, Mother had a cat which
slept on a day bed. Knowing of my allergy, she dilligently cleaned the area
for me to sleep there, upon my return from school. Took about 20 minutes
before I was struggling to breath. More's the pity as I really do think
cats are neat, but, for me, it's about like playing with a live grenade.
Back to the cats. Anyway, to give the feral cats a better chance at
survival, Mother started putting food out for them. To help them survive
the Winter, I built *kitty condo's* for them by cutting openings in ice
chests and placing them in sheltered places around the outside of our house.
In case you're interested, I also got a car battery warmer which, placed
under a pan of water, kept our cats supplied with fresh water through the
cold. At one time, we were going through 18 pounds of Meow mix every 10
days, such was the popularity of Mother's Kitty station. Mother doted on
the cats, as you might expect, and regular visitors to our back yard would
get a name. We had Big Gray, Tough Guy, Yellow Boy. Ring Tail, Little Gray,
Tabby Cat, Hobo Cat, and several others who would show up, as well as our
resident Bootsie, White Stocking, and Miss Kitty.
Everybody's gone now, except for Bootsie, White Stocking, and Miss
Kitty, poisoned by our neighbor next door. While we were having a new roof
put on our house, I happened to walk up my neighbor's drive to see how the
work was going. I chanced to look down and discover two cans of cat food,
afloat with antifreeze. As I had watched Hobo Cat die 3 days before, I was
not pleased and canceled a business deal with the sumbitch. I also reported
it to the police, only to discover they could care less.
Since then, the neighbor and I have been warring back and forth, he
calls the police to complain, I make him get his stuff off my property, etc.
I'm ahead in the count, incidentally, as I have put up two bird feeders and
a birdbath beside his driveway. The first bird feeder I put up was
stolen...the police are completely baffled. Anyway, birds come and feed,
then fly into his trees, or perch on the wires over his beloved vehicles;-)
I have an ace up my sleeve, his fence is a foot onto our property and, come
Winter--'bout Christmas time--I shall have my lawyer demand he move it.
Mother says I make a bad enemy. In some cases, I'm inspired.
Bootsie, White Stocking, and Miss Kitty, are tamed to the point they
will come, when I whistle to announce I have a treat of canned food for
them. Depending on their attitude at the moment, they will either remain
aloof and stay a few feet away (who would have thought) or, in the
alternative, come rub against my legs and--lately--actually seem to seek
attention/petting. Haven't heard anybody purr yet. White Stocking can't
seem to decide whether and how much he wants to be petted--or when, for
that matter. Bootsie doesn't always show up when I whistle, but, when she
does, she's quite social. Miss Kitty hangs with White Stocking and follows
his lead. Sometimes she'll hang back with him, but, when she does come
near, she seems to revel at the human touch. Today, White Stocking rolled
over on his back and seemed to like having his stomach scratched.
I did manage to get enough official attention that the *******s have
apparently stopped poisioning the cars, but now they are trapping them.
I've retrieved White Stocking and Bootsie from the local animal shelter.
And, my supposition is that one trip through that experience is enough for
them. My concern is, if he manages to trap one on the weekend, when the
shelter is closed, he drives off with it and we never see it again.
Meanwhile, our cats discovered the doggie door--we may have to rename
that--in the kitchen, and come to visit every night. They are becoming more
bold in their explorations of the house and Mother puts canned food out for
them every night. They go through about 2 cans and, on one occasion, Miss
Kitty brought all 3 of the kittens (her two and Bootsie's one) into the
house. Mother, incidentally, is house bound and has her bed downstairs.
Miss Kitty allowed the kittens to have the run of the downstairs for about
an hour, while she sat in the kitchen doorway and Mother sat up in bed,
watching the whole affair. From time to time, Mother and Miss Kitty would
make eye contact. My supposition about it is that she brought the kittens
in for show and tell, sort of like introducing them to the rest of the
pride...but what do I know. They haven't been back for a return visit, en
mass, but there have been kitten sightings inside from time to time. Most
recent was about 9 AM today, when the black kitten (Bootsie's) tried to come
in the door twice, but declined as Mother was in the kitchen at the time.
That pretty well covers everything I can think of to bring you up to
speed on our situation.
Now for the problem. We've bought a new house to get away from the
%#&*(@/%## next door (talk about dedication to cats). Anyway, Mother is now
very concerned about how we will go about moving *our* cats away from this
unhealthy environment to our new home--about 3 blocks away. Remember, they
ain't exactly tame and they absolutely can't be house pets...not while I'm
alive, anyway, if I wish to remain alive, that is.
Mother thinks the thing to do is take them up to the new place and shut
them in the garage, with food and water, in hopes they will acclimate to
their new home. I don't think it will work as all they will see is the
inside of the garage, and be off like a shot when we let them out.
I think our best hope at pulling it off is to wait until Winter, then
provide *warm* shelter, food and water, at the new place. In one sense,
time is on our side since we will be hanging on to our old house until the
Spring. So, should they scoot back to their old home, I can haul them back
to the new place. PROVIDING I can catch them...over and over and over.
Killing the sumbitch next door, while an attractive notion, is not a
viable option (drat).
So, anybody got any experience at this sort of thing (sure you do)? In
the alternative, what's your best thinking/experience.
Now, hasn't this been fun ;-)
Cheers,
Jack B *USA*
PS-- I'll be planting Mulberry trees next to his drive this Fall.

Sherry
July 27th 03, 02:44 PM
>OK, cat people, I ... well actually we, i.e. Mother, the cats, and I, need
>some guidance from the best cat thinkers on the planet.

(snipped)

I know you think your mom is doing the cats a kindess by feeding them; but
think about this. She is simply attracting them to her property, where they can
continue to breed, and risk exposure to antifreeze poisoning, (one of the most
horrible deaths you can imagine),) and cause problems to your neighbors. Please
do the right thing. Trap the remaining cats. Take them for spay/neuter and find
someone in the country to adopt them, or someone who is willing to spend time
taming them enough to be house cats. You're just setting them up for suffering.
Your cats don't have a right to roam all over the neighbor's property. Your
continued defiance is only going to cause the neighbors to take out their
frustrations *on the cats*.

Sherry

Sherry
July 27th 03, 02:44 PM
>OK, cat people, I ... well actually we, i.e. Mother, the cats, and I, need
>some guidance from the best cat thinkers on the planet.

(snipped)

I know you think your mom is doing the cats a kindess by feeding them; but
think about this. She is simply attracting them to her property, where they can
continue to breed, and risk exposure to antifreeze poisoning, (one of the most
horrible deaths you can imagine),) and cause problems to your neighbors. Please
do the right thing. Trap the remaining cats. Take them for spay/neuter and find
someone in the country to adopt them, or someone who is willing to spend time
taming them enough to be house cats. You're just setting them up for suffering.
Your cats don't have a right to roam all over the neighbor's property. Your
continued defiance is only going to cause the neighbors to take out their
frustrations *on the cats*.

Sherry

July 27th 03, 03:41 PM
Jack,
Before you do anything else you MUST get ALL these cats spayed and
neutered! If you don't it is only a matter of time before you have 20,
30, 40 or more cats to contend with. You'll be doing a very good thing
by stopping the breeding (there are millions being illed in shelteres
and the world does not need more cats) and the cats will be healthier
for it. If you work on socializing the kittens you should be able to
find homes for them and take them out of the equation altogether. You
also have to quit antagonizing your neighbor, regardless of what he has
done. Fighting with him is hurting the cats and it needs to stop. Your
best solution is to put in a tall fence around the yard at the new place
and cat proof it so the cats can't get out, then bring them over. You
can build them a nice house of some sorts that will provide them with
shelter when it's cold and, if they become friendlier, you can find them
homes as well. But again, before you do anything, ALL the cats must be
spayed and neutered.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

[...]

Priscilla Ballou
July 27th 03, 03:57 PM
Jack,

I think you and your mother would get along with me just fine! My
neighbors and I are caring for a colony of ferals in our back yards. We
started last winter (which was a really bad winter), putting up shelters
for them, and I keep a heated birdbath on the ground filled with water
for all the wildlife. We started feeding them as well in the late
winter, and this past spring we got an expert to help us do
trap/neuter/release with them. We now have a stable base population of
feral cats, while skunks and raccoons also take advantage of leftover
food, and of the fresh water of course.

Now, I do not have any experience with relocating ferals, but if it's
really just three blocks, chances are the new house is within their
territory already, yes?

Is the garage attached to the new house? It would be ideal if there
were a dog/cat door between the garage and the house, so while they're
shut in the garage (with food, water, boxes, bedding, etc.) they could
twig to the fact that you guys are in the house. That way when you
opened the garage up, they'd be motivated to stay around.

I'm glad you're moving away from that neighbor. If you were staying I'd
suggest that instead of perpetuating the hostility you step down your
efforts, but you're moving so never mind.

I also suggest you post this in rec.pets.cats.rescue. You're liable to
find people with experience in this area there.

Good luck!

Priscilla
--
Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum,
minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

[...]

July 27th 03, 05:20 PM
>Jack,
>
>I think you and your mother would get along with me just fine! My
>neighbors and I are caring for a colony of ferals in our back yards. We
>started last winter (which was a really bad winter), putting up shelters
>for them, and I keep a heated birdbath on the ground filled with water
>for all the wildlife. We started feeding them as well in the late
>winter, and this past spring we got an expert to help us do
>trap/neuter/release with them.

That's great that you neutered them. What most kind-hearted people don't
understand is that by simply feeding them, they're not really helping in the
long term. (Plus having cat-hating neighbors really complicates things). I
still think it might help to try to mend fences a bit with the neighbor instead
of antagonizing him. By moving only 3 blocks away, the cats still might roam
their old 'hood. It's horrifying to think they were putting out antifreeze.
Death by antifreeze is an agonizing one.

Sherry

Sherry
July 27th 03, 05:20 PM
>Jack,
>
>I think you and your mother would get along with me just fine! My
>neighbors and I are caring for a colony of ferals in our back yards. We
>started last winter (which was a really bad winter), putting up shelters
>for them, and I keep a heated birdbath on the ground filled with water
>for all the wildlife. We started feeding them as well in the late
>winter, and this past spring we got an expert to help us do
>trap/neuter/release with them.

That's great that you neutered them. What most kind-hearted people don't
understand is that by simply feeding them, they're not really helping in the
long term. (Plus having cat-hating neighbors really complicates things). I
still think it might help to try to mend fences a bit with the neighbor instead
of antagonizing him. By moving only 3 blocks away, the cats still might roam
their old 'hood. It's horrifying to think they were putting out antifreeze.
Death by antifreeze is an agonizing one.

Sherry

-L.
July 27th 03, 06:09 PM
(Sherry ) wrote in message >...
> >OK, cat people, I ... well actually we, i.e. Mother, the cats, and I, need
> >some guidance from the best cat thinkers on the planet.
>
> (snipped)
>
> I know you think your mom is doing the cats a kindess by feeding them; but
> think about this. She is simply attracting them to her property, where they >can
> continue to breed, and risk exposure to antifreeze poisoning, (one of the most
> horrible deaths you can imagine),) and cause problems to your neighbors. >Please
> do the right thing. Trap the remaining cats. Take them for spay/neuter and >find
> someone in the country to adopt them, or someone who is willing to spend time
> taming them enough to be house cats. You're just setting them up for suffering.
> Your cats don't have a right to roam all over the neighbor's property. Your
> continued defiance is only going to cause the neighbors to take out their
> frustrations *on the cats*.
>
> Sherry

I couldn't agree more. I hate to think of cats being poisoned, but
rouge cats *are* a nuisance, and this neighbor has every right to trap
them and take them to the humane society or animal control. As for
the poisoning, you need to take photographs of the cans of poisoned
food and take them to the police station or your local animal welfare
agency. Poisoning cats is a crime in most jurisdictions - animal
cruelty - and the guy should be arrested. also, any poisoned cats
should be put into the freezer as evidence, and then turned over to
animal control authorities.

The cats are likely to return to their former territory if moved -
first and foremost, they must be spayed or neutered, and then
contained in a yard with a 6-ft fence with a cat guard on the top,
minimally. If you are unable to contain the cats, they need to be
rehomed.

As for the neighbor, poisoning and/or shooting birds isn't out of his
realm of activity either, so I would remove the bird feeders and bath
ASAP. Enough animals have suffered at the hands of this freak.

Best of luck to you,

-L.

-L.
July 27th 03, 06:09 PM
(Sherry ) wrote in message >...
> >OK, cat people, I ... well actually we, i.e. Mother, the cats, and I, need
> >some guidance from the best cat thinkers on the planet.
>
> (snipped)
>
> I know you think your mom is doing the cats a kindess by feeding them; but
> think about this. She is simply attracting them to her property, where they >can
> continue to breed, and risk exposure to antifreeze poisoning, (one of the most
> horrible deaths you can imagine),) and cause problems to your neighbors. >Please
> do the right thing. Trap the remaining cats. Take them for spay/neuter and >find
> someone in the country to adopt them, or someone who is willing to spend time
> taming them enough to be house cats. You're just setting them up for suffering.
> Your cats don't have a right to roam all over the neighbor's property. Your
> continued defiance is only going to cause the neighbors to take out their
> frustrations *on the cats*.
>
> Sherry

I couldn't agree more. I hate to think of cats being poisoned, but
rouge cats *are* a nuisance, and this neighbor has every right to trap
them and take them to the humane society or animal control. As for
the poisoning, you need to take photographs of the cans of poisoned
food and take them to the police station or your local animal welfare
agency. Poisoning cats is a crime in most jurisdictions - animal
cruelty - and the guy should be arrested. also, any poisoned cats
should be put into the freezer as evidence, and then turned over to
animal control authorities.

The cats are likely to return to their former territory if moved -
first and foremost, they must be spayed or neutered, and then
contained in a yard with a 6-ft fence with a cat guard on the top,
minimally. If you are unable to contain the cats, they need to be
rehomed.

As for the neighbor, poisoning and/or shooting birds isn't out of his
realm of activity either, so I would remove the bird feeders and bath
ASAP. Enough animals have suffered at the hands of this freak.

Best of luck to you,

-L.

JHBennett
July 27th 03, 11:50 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >OK, cat people, I ... well actually we, i.e. Mother, the cats, and I,
need
> >some guidance from the best cat thinkers on the planet.
>
> (snipped)
>
> I know you think your mom is doing the cats a kindess by feeding them; but
> think about this. She is simply attracting them to her property, where
they can
> continue to breed, and risk exposure to antifreeze poisoning, (one of the
most
> horrible deaths you can imagine),) and cause problems to your neighbors.
Please
> do the right thing. Trap the remaining cats. Take them for spay/neuter and
find
> someone in the country to adopt them, or someone who is willing to spend
time
> taming them enough to be house cats. You're just setting them up for
suffering.
> Your cats don't have a right to roam all over the neighbor's property.
Your
> continued defiance is only going to cause the neighbors to take out their
> frustrations *on the cats*.
>
> Sherry

I know you mean well, Sherry, but it ain't your problem and I'm not stupid.
Some of the things you envision are easy--so long as you are not the one
having to find the way to do it. As for the behavior of the neighbor,
poisoning animals is against the law, Sherry. He's killed about a dozen
neighborhood cats, many pets, and a couple of dogs. As far as I'm
concerned, such people are the scum of the earth and, in the absence of the
law taking action, any aggrivation I can cause him is warranted. I'm doing
nothing illegal, he has and continues to do so. When he captures a cat on
the weekend, when the shelter is closed, he takes the animal on a oneway
ride. Think he's turning them lose somewhere, or drowning them? His trap
is rusty, if that helps you figure it out.
Cheers,
Jack

JHBennett
July 27th 03, 11:50 PM
"Sherry " > wrote in message
> >OK, cat people, I ... well actually we, i.e. Mother, the cats, and I,
need
> >some guidance from the best cat thinkers on the planet.
>
> (snipped)
>
> I know you think your mom is doing the cats a kindess by feeding them; but
> think about this. She is simply attracting them to her property, where
they can
> continue to breed, and risk exposure to antifreeze poisoning, (one of the
most
> horrible deaths you can imagine),) and cause problems to your neighbors.
Please
> do the right thing. Trap the remaining cats. Take them for spay/neuter and
find
> someone in the country to adopt them, or someone who is willing to spend
time
> taming them enough to be house cats. You're just setting them up for
suffering.
> Your cats don't have a right to roam all over the neighbor's property.
Your
> continued defiance is only going to cause the neighbors to take out their
> frustrations *on the cats*.
>
> Sherry

I know you mean well, Sherry, but it ain't your problem and I'm not stupid.
Some of the things you envision are easy--so long as you are not the one
having to find the way to do it. As for the behavior of the neighbor,
poisoning animals is against the law, Sherry. He's killed about a dozen
neighborhood cats, many pets, and a couple of dogs. As far as I'm
concerned, such people are the scum of the earth and, in the absence of the
law taking action, any aggrivation I can cause him is warranted. I'm doing
nothing illegal, he has and continues to do so. When he captures a cat on
the weekend, when the shelter is closed, he takes the animal on a oneway
ride. Think he's turning them lose somewhere, or drowning them? His trap
is rusty, if that helps you figure it out.
Cheers,
Jack

JHBennett
July 28th 03, 12:11 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
m...
> (Sherry ) wrote in message
> > >OK, cat people, I ... well actually we, i.e. Mother, the cats, and I,
need
> > >some guidance from the best cat thinkers on the planet.
> >
> > (snipped)
> >
> > I know you think your mom is doing the cats a kindess by feeding them;
but
> > think about this. She is simply attracting them to her property, where
they >can
> > continue to breed, and risk exposure to antifreeze poisoning, (one of
the most
> > horrible deaths you can imagine),) and cause problems to your neighbors.
>Please
> > do the right thing. Trap the remaining cats. Take them for spay/neuter
and >find
> > someone in the country to adopt them, or someone who is willing to spend
time
> > taming them enough to be house cats. You're just setting them up for
suffering.
> > Your cats don't have a right to roam all over the neighbor's property.
Your
> > continued defiance is only going to cause the neighbors to take out
their
> > frustrations *on the cats*.
> >
> > Sherry
>
> I couldn't agree more. I hate to think of cats being poisoned, but
> rouge cats *are* a nuisance, and this neighbor has every right to trap
> them and take them to the humane society or animal control.

And, on the weekend, when the shelter is closed, he takes them out and
drowns them. Also, we're not talking about a few feral cats being killed.
As I've mentioned elsewhere, the count, as far as I can tell, is two dogs
and at least a dozen cats. All but about half a dozen were pets. --JB

As for
> the poisoning, you need to take photographs of the cans of poisoned
> food and take them to the police station or your local animal welfare
> agency. Poisoning cats is a crime in most jurisdictions - animal
> cruelty - and the guy should be arrested. also, any poisoned cats
> should be put into the freezer as evidence, and then turned over to
> animal control authorities.

Maybe in your end of the world. In Illinois, poisoning domestic animals
carries a fine of $1,500 and a year in jail, for the first offence. I have
witnesses who heard them discussing poisoning, before the fact. A witness,
other than myself, who saw the cans of poisoned food on his property, and I
even have the cans of poisoned food WITH their fu*king fingerprints on them.
The police will not even investigate. The police have, however, allowed
themselves to be used by him to harass my mother and myself, with bogus
complaints about me trespassing on his property... I've been threatened with
arrest three times, without any justification what-so-ever. You essentially
contend he has every right to do as he sees fit on his property, RIGHT? I
happen to agree--we got a speach about that from the police as well.
However, the vital omission from the story, as he tells it, is his breaking
the law by poisoning animals. That, the law says, he has no right to do
anywhere. But, as long as we're in the neighborhood of people doing what
they want on their property, so long as it's legal, the police showed up
demanding to know why I had put up a bird feeder on "the property line."
Strange how suddenly I was called upon to defend a legal act, don't you
think? Also, the feeder was well within my property line, by about 3 feet.
Didn't matter as the following morning, it was stolen. The police will not
even ask him about that.
So, the situation is he's managed to sell some lies about the situation
to the local police, and they seem to have bought his story completely.
Given the inaction of the officials, I have adopted the policy that any
legal act which will cause him a problem is desirable. As far as I'm
concerned, anyone who will poison animals is the scum of the earth. --JB

> The cats are likely to return to their former territory if moved -
> first and foremost, they must be spayed or neutered, and then
> contained in a yard with a 6-ft fence with a cat guard on the top,
> minimally. If you are unable to contain the cats, they need to be
> rehomed.
>
> As for the neighbor, poisoning and/or shooting birds isn't out of his
> realm of activity either, so I would remove the bird feeders and bath
> ASAP. Enough animals have suffered at the hands of this freak.
>
> Best of luck to you,
>
> -L.
I know, I know, I know.........
Thanks,
Jack

JHBennett
July 28th 03, 12:11 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
m...
> [...]

So, the situation is he's managed to sell some lies about the situation
to the local police, and they seem to have bought his story completely.
Given the inaction of the officials, I have adopted the policy that any
legal act which will cause him a problem is desirable. As far as I'm
concerned, anyone who will poison animals is the scum of the earth. --JB

> The cats are likely to return to their former territory if moved -
> first and foremost, they must be spayed or neutered, and then
> contained in a yard with a 6-ft fence with a cat guard on the top,
> minimally. If you are unable to contain the cats, they need to be
> rehomed.
>
> As for the neighbor, poisoning and/or shooting birds isn't out of his
> realm of activity either, so I would remove the bird feeders and bath
> ASAP. Enough animals have suffered at the hands of this freak.

I know, I know, I know.........
Thanks,
Jack

-L.
July 28th 03, 07:32 AM
"JHBennett" > wrote in message >...
> "-L." > wrote in message
> m...
> need
> > >
> > > (snipped)
> > >
> > > I know you think your mom is doing the cats a kindess by feeding them;
> but
> > > think about this. She is simply attracting them to her property, where
> they >can
> > > continue to breed, and risk exposure to antifreeze poisoning, (one of
> the most
> > > horrible deaths you can imagine),) and cause problems to your neighbors.
> Please
> > > do the right thing. Trap the remaining cats. Take them for spay/neuter
> and >find
> > > someone in the country to adopt them, or someone who is willing to spend
> time
> > > taming them enough to be house cats. You're just setting them up for
> suffering.
> > > Your cats don't have a right to roam all over the neighbor's property.
> Your
> > > continued defiance is only going to cause the neighbors to take out
> their
> > > frustrations *on the cats*.
> > >
> > > Sherry
> >
> > I couldn't agree more. I hate to think of cats being poisoned, but
> > rouge cats *are* a nuisance, and this neighbor has every right to trap
> > them and take them to the humane society or animal control.
>
> And, on the weekend, when the shelter is closed, he takes them out and
> drowns them. Also, we're not talking about a few feral cats being killed.
> As I've mentioned elsewhere, the count, as far as I can tell, is two dogs
> and at least a dozen cats. All but about half a dozen were pets. --JB

Well, what he is doing is illegal.

> As for
> > the poisoning, you need to take photographs of the cans of poisoned
> > food and take them to the police station or your local animal welfare
> > agency. Poisoning cats is a crime in most jurisdictions - animal
> > cruelty - and the guy should be arrested. also, any poisoned cats
> > should be put into the freezer as evidence, and then turned over to
> > animal control authorities.
>
> Maybe in your end of the world. In Illinois, poisoning domestic animals
> carries a fine of $1,500 and a year in jail, for the first offence. I have
> witnesses who heard them discussing poisoning, before the fact. A witness,
> other than myself, who saw the cans of poisoned food on his property, and I
> even have the cans of poisoned food WITH their fu*king fingerprints on them.
> The police will not even investigate.

Why not?

>The police have, however, allowed
> themselves to be used by him to harass my mother and myself, with bogus
> complaints about me trespassing on his property... I've been threatened with
> arrest three times, without any justification what-so-ever. You essentially
> contend he has every right to do as he sees fit on his property, RIGHT?

no. He has no right to commit acts of animal cruelty. He does,
however, have the right to trap the cats and turn them in to the
proper authorities.

> happen to agree--we got a speach about that from the police as well.
> However, the vital omission from the story, as he tells it, is his breaking
> the law by poisoning animals. That, the law says, he has no right to do
> anywhere. But, as long as we're in the neighborhood of people doing what
> they want on their property, so long as it's legal, the police showed up
> demanding to know why I had put up a bird feeder on "the property line."
> Strange how suddenly I was called upon to defend a legal act, don't you
> think? Also, the feeder was well within my property line, by about 3 feet.
> Didn't matter as the following morning, it was stolen. The police will not
> even ask him about that.
> So, the situation is he's managed to sell some lies about the situation
> to the local police, and they seem to have bought his story completely.
> Given the inaction of the officials, I have adopted the policy that any
> legal act which will cause him a problem is desirable. As far as I'm
> concerned, anyone who will poison animals is the scum of the earth. --JB

I agree, but he needs to be caught - and howver you can get him caught
is the thing to do. Isn't there an animal welfare agency nearby that
is sympathetic to your situation? Have you had the cause of death
documented by a veterinarian? Vets don't take kindly to animal
poisoners, and their testimony is essential to your case.

-L.

-L.
July 28th 03, 07:32 AM
"JHBennett" > wrote in message >...
> [...]

> think? Also, the feeder was well within my property line, by about 3 feet.
> Didn't matter as the following morning, it was stolen. The police will not
> even ask him about that.
> So, the situation is he's managed to sell some lies about the situation
> to the local police, and they seem to have bought his story completely.
> Given the inaction of the officials, I have adopted the policy that any
> legal act which will cause him a problem is desirable. As far as I'm
> concerned, anyone who will poison animals is the scum of the earth. --JB

I agree, but he needs to be caught - and howver you can get him caught
is the thing to do. Isn't there an animal welfare agency nearby that
is sympathetic to your situation? Have you had the cause of death
documented by a veterinarian? Vets don't take kindly to animal
poisoners, and their testimony is essential to your case.

Leslie
July 30th 03, 02:45 PM
You could report him to PETA..Give them something to do that is worth while.:)

"you can tell alot
about a people or person in how they treat animals"

Leslie
July 30th 03, 02:45 PM
You could report him to PETA..Give them something to do that is worth while.:)

"you can tell alot
about a people or person in how they treat animals"

July 30th 03, 10:24 PM
Anyone who feeds antifreeze to cats would do
it no matter what the neighbor was doing.
Getting in touch with the local humane society
to find out what financial assistance is available
for getting the cats spayed and neutered is mandatory.
As you know, there are too many cats who will never
have homes, and these additional kittens that come
along are just plain sad and needless. Then they
have kittens, and on, and on. There will be plenty
of cats for you and mom to take care of without that,
though if there is an adoption program, a no kill
shelter in your area, "extras" beyond what mom
really needs to satisfy herself ought to be sent
there to have a chance at real care, and a real home.
What happens when the existing cats need medical care?

The catguard fencing is a very good idea, and something
you can do on your own, wherever you live. Do a search
on the web, you'll see, it's no more than adding a properly
fashioned addition to the top of an existing fence, and
you'll see it doesn't have much to do with the height of
the fence, it's the construction at the top.

The cats might do quite well being kept in the garage
for a bit, till they became acclimated, used to the
idea of the move. Loose, they may just run/hide/get lost.

If the neighbor ever does set out antifreeze again,
I'd definitely take pictures, and try to get them
in the local newspaper. As well as call the humane
society. Call any animal groups in your area for
suggestions on what can be done. They can be *very*
helpful in situations like that, even when the police
aren't, or can force the police to pay attention.

I'd definitely see to it he was forced to get his
fence back on his property before I gave up the house.
Very much serves him right.

Be nice if his "traps" disappeared:-)