PDA

View Full Version : Re: Calci virus

Cheryl
July 30th 03, 01:17 AM
"PattyC" > wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> A friend of mine has somehow taken in a kitten who has Calci virus.
She has
> 3 other indoor cats. She's been keeping the kitten separate, and
the kitten
> is being treated for sores in his mouth.
>
> She wanted me to ask you guys, can this kitty ever join the others,
or is
> this something that will endanger her own kids. (Yes, she can ask
the vet
> next time, but the vet she saw initially was the emergency vet, and
she
> forgot to ask there.)
>
> PattyC

That is a very common shelter illness and those I know who foster
kittens have had them make a full recovery. But it is HIGHLY
contageous (SP?). That is one of those virii that you wash everything
the cat comes in contact with in a bleach/water mixture, and you also
wash your hands with it. Remove all clothes you wear while in contact
with the cat and wear tennis shoes and dip shoed-feet in water/bleach
before leaving the separate area. It's that bad. I have never heard
of it transmitted to humans but someone else may know better.

Arjun Ray
July 30th 03, 02:14 PM
In >, "PattyC"
> wrote:

| A friend of mine has somehow taken in a kitten who has Calci virus.

Calici is the 'C' in FVRCP, the triple combo vaccine shot.

| She has 3 other indoor cats. She's been keeping the kitten separate,

This is very important. Calici is highly contagious, so stringent
quarantine measures are essential. It can survive in the environment
for days if not weeks.

| She wanted me to ask you guys, can this kitty ever join the others,
| or is this something that will endanger her own kids.

There are two factors here. Whether the other three cats have been
vaccinated (it takes at least 10 days for the vaccine to start working)
and which particular strain of calici this kitten has. In any case, the
kitten will be a "carrier" for life.

http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/health/calici.html

Arjun Ray
July 30th 03, 02:14 PM