PDA

View Full Version : swollen ear

mbjj
July 31st 03, 03:32 AM
I have a male longhair. He's an outdoor cat living in the country.
I noticed that his right ear is swollen. It's kind of round and soft
and doesn't seem to hurt him when I examine it. I tried giving him a
little ibuprobin in his food for it but it has no effect. I can't see
any type of bite or mark on the ear that may have caused it. Any ideas
on what it could be or treatment. I'm beginning to think that it may be
a fluid build up and am entertaining the idea of lancing it. I thought I'd
ask here before I did anything.

thanks

Karen Chuplis
July 31st 03, 03:48 AM
in article t, mbjj at
wrote on 7/30/03 9:32 PM:

> I have a male longhair. He's an outdoor cat living in the country.
> I noticed that his right ear is swollen. It's kind of round and soft
> and doesn't seem to hurt him when I examine it. I tried giving him a
> little ibuprobin in his food for it but it has no effect. I can't see
> any type of bite or mark on the ear that may have caused it. Any ideas
> on what it could be or treatment. I'm beginning to think that it may be
> a fluid build up and am entertaining the idea of lancing it. I thought I'd
> ask here before I did anything.
>
> thanks

NEVER GIVE IBUPROPHEN OR ACETOMENOPHINE!!!!!!! You really need to have him
to a vet to determine the problem and hope that you didn't give him a kidney
problem with the ibuprophen.

Karen

Karen Chuplis
July 31st 03, 03:48 AM
in article t, mbjj at
wrote on 7/30/03 9:32 PM:

> I have a male longhair. He's an outdoor cat living in the country.
> I noticed that his right ear is swollen. It's kind of round and soft
> and doesn't seem to hurt him when I examine it. I tried giving him a
> little ibuprobin in his food for it but it has no effect. I can't see
> any type of bite or mark on the ear that may have caused it. Any ideas
> on what it could be or treatment. I'm beginning to think that it may be
> a fluid build up and am entertaining the idea of lancing it. I thought I'd
> ask here before I did anything.
>
> thanks

NEVER GIVE IBUPROPHEN OR ACETOMENOPHINE!!!!!!! You really need to have him
to a vet to determine the problem and hope that you didn't give him a kidney
problem with the ibuprophen.

Karen

Cathy Friedmann
July 31st 03, 03:51 AM
You must NOT give him ibuprofen, Tylenol, or aspirin - any one of them
can/will make him extremely ill, incl. be fatal! (Aspirin is very
occasionally prescribed by a vet, but only in extremely tiny doses, usually
3 days apart, to prevent an overdose.)

It may need to be lanced, but personally, I'd much prefer a vet to do it -
sterilely (sp?), to prevent further infection.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"mbjj" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I have a male longhair. He's an outdoor cat living in the country.
> I noticed that his right ear is swollen. It's kind of round and soft
> and doesn't seem to hurt him when I examine it. I tried giving him a
> little ibuprobin in his food for it but it has no effect. I can't see
> any type of bite or mark on the ear that may have caused it. Any ideas
> on what it could be or treatment. I'm beginning to think that it may be
> a fluid build up and am entertaining the idea of lancing it. I thought
I'd
> ask here before I did anything.
>
> thanks

Cathy Friedmann
July 31st 03, 03:51 AM
You must NOT give him ibuprofen, Tylenol, or aspirin - any one of them
can/will make him extremely ill, incl. be fatal! (Aspirin is very
occasionally prescribed by a vet, but only in extremely tiny doses, usually
3 days apart, to prevent an overdose.)

It may need to be lanced, but personally, I'd much prefer a vet to do it -
sterilely (sp?), to prevent further infection.

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon

"mbjj" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> I have a male longhair. He's an outdoor cat living in the country.
> I noticed that his right ear is swollen. It's kind of round and soft
> and doesn't seem to hurt him when I examine it. I tried giving him a
> little ibuprobin in his food for it but it has no effect. I can't see
> any type of bite or mark on the ear that may have caused it. Any ideas
> on what it could be or treatment. I'm beginning to think that it may be
> a fluid build up and am entertaining the idea of lancing it. I thought
I'd
> ask here before I did anything.
>
> thanks

Liz
July 31st 03, 07:49 AM
He might have been stung by a bee, wasp or some other insect. If this
was the case, the swelling will usually go away in 24 hours at most
(usually much less).