PDA

View Full Version : Cats versus types of flooring

Dave
July 31st 03, 04:49 AM
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with imitation wood flooring (like Pergo) and
cats? I'm really tired of this old carpet that traps litter, dirt, dust,
and hair and am wondering if the immitation wood flooring works OK.
Specifically, is it scratch resistant? Also, what happens if a cat pees on
it? I don't know about the cost, but I thought I'd check out Lowes or Home
Depot this weekend. I do like carpet in the winter because it feels warm,
but the other aspects I mentioned above are really tiresome.

Thanks!
Dave

L. Kelly
July 31st 03, 05:46 AM
"Dave" > wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| Does anyone have experience with imitation wood flooring (like Pergo) and
| cats? I'm really tired of this old carpet that traps litter, dirt, dust,
| and hair and am wondering if the immitation wood flooring works OK.
| Specifically, is it scratch resistant? Also, what happens if a cat pees on
| it? I don't know about the cost, but I thought I'd check out Lowes or Home
| Depot this weekend. I do like carpet in the winter because it feels warm,
| but the other aspects I mentioned above are really tiresome.
|
| Thanks!
| Dave

Just this past winter I moved into a house that has that very same flooring in two of the
rooms...the kitchen and one of the bedrooms.

This flooring is very easy care. No scratches, warm on the feet, cleans up easily, does
not stain, and nothing sticks to it....not even cat hair or other kitty messes.

If you are going to invest in new flooring, I can't say enough good about this product.
It is money well spent.
--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage: http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

L. Kelly
July 31st 03, 05:46 AM
"Dave" > wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| Does anyone have experience with imitation wood flooring (like Pergo) and
| cats? I'm really tired of this old carpet that traps litter, dirt, dust,
| and hair and am wondering if the immitation wood flooring works OK.
| Specifically, is it scratch resistant? Also, what happens if a cat pees on
| it? I don't know about the cost, but I thought I'd check out Lowes or Home
| Depot this weekend. I do like carpet in the winter because it feels warm,
| but the other aspects I mentioned above are really tiresome.
|
| Thanks!
| Dave

Just this past winter I moved into a house that has that very same flooring in two of the
rooms...the kitchen and one of the bedrooms.

This flooring is very easy care. No scratches, warm on the feet, cleans up easily, does
not stain, and nothing sticks to it....not even cat hair or other kitty messes.

If you are going to invest in new flooring, I can't say enough good about this product.
It is money well spent.
--
Hugs,
Lynn

*strip CLOTHES to reply*
Homepage: http://members.shaw.ca/sewfinefashions/
See my boys: http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/papavince_29/

*~*SooZy*~*
July 31st 03, 12:45 PM
Laminate flooring is fine with cats... does not scratch, easy to keep clean
you find all the dust and hair stored up in the corners and under the
settee!!! LOL

--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

"Dave" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have experience with imitation wood flooring (like Pergo) and
> cats? I'm really tired of this old carpet that traps litter, dirt, dust,
> and hair and am wondering if the immitation wood flooring works OK.
> Specifically, is it scratch resistant? Also, what happens if a cat pees
on
> it? I don't know about the cost, but I thought I'd check out Lowes or
> Depot this weekend. I do like carpet in the winter because it feels warm,
> but the other aspects I mentioned above are really tiresome.
>
> Thanks!
> Dave

Leslie
July 31st 03, 02:44 PM
Dave
I put in pergo and love it. Its easy to clean but it does show the dust
from the litter so you have to sweep everyday. I choose a light color so the
tracks don't show up as much....Good Luck:)

Leslie

"you can tell alot
about a people or person in how they treat animals"

Leslie
July 31st 03, 02:44 PM
Dave
I put in pergo and love it. Its easy to clean but it does show the dust
from the litter so you have to sweep everyday. I choose a light color so the
tracks don't show up as much....Good Luck:)

Leslie

"you can tell alot
about a people or person in how they treat animals"

-L.
July 31st 03, 05:05 PM
"Dave" > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have experience with imitation wood flooring (like Pergo) and
> cats? I'm really tired of this old carpet that traps litter, dirt, dust,
> and hair and am wondering if the immitation wood flooring works OK.
> Specifically, is it scratch resistant?

Yes, but not completely.

> Also, what happens if a cat pees on
> it?

If it is not the sealed or glued type of laminate flooring, the urine
will run underneath the tiles. Most laminates today are "glue free"
and "floating". I would be *really* hesitant to use laminates if I
has an animal who routinely urinated in the home. But, the nice thing
about the floating flooring is that the boards can be replaced more
easily....

>I don't know about the cost, but I thought I'd check out Lowes or
> Depot this weekend.

3-4/sq. foot if you do it yourself, sometimes higher, dependant upon
brand. (West coast prices.)

> I do like carpet in the winter because it feels warm,
> but the other aspects I mentioned above are really tiresome.

Laminates are pet-friendly except for the pee factor. And with any
laminate, large amounts of liquid are a no-no. FWIW, WilsonArt
flooring is supposedly one of the best for repelling liquids and
scratches. Pergo is reportedly crap, overall. Dunno much about the
other brands.

If you can afford it, hardwood is the way to go.

Good luck,

-L.

-L.
July 31st 03, 05:05 PM
"Dave" > wrote in message >...
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have experience with imitation wood flooring (like Pergo) and
> cats? I'm really tired of this old carpet that traps litter, dirt, dust,
> and hair and am wondering if the immitation wood flooring works OK.
> Specifically, is it scratch resistant?

Yes, but not completely.

> Also, what happens if a cat pees on
> it?

If it is not the sealed or glued type of laminate flooring, the urine
will run underneath the tiles. Most laminates today are "glue free"
and "floating". I would be *really* hesitant to use laminates if I
has an animal who routinely urinated in the home. But, the nice thing
about the floating flooring is that the boards can be replaced more
easily....

>I don't know about the cost, but I thought I'd check out Lowes or
> Depot this weekend.

3-4/sq. foot if you do it yourself, sometimes higher, dependant upon
brand. (West coast prices.)

> I do like carpet in the winter because it feels warm,
> but the other aspects I mentioned above are really tiresome.

Laminates are pet-friendly except for the pee factor. And with any
laminate, large amounts of liquid are a no-no. FWIW, WilsonArt
flooring is supposedly one of the best for repelling liquids and
scratches. Pergo is reportedly crap, overall. Dunno much about the
other brands.

If you can afford it, hardwood is the way to go.

Good luck,

-L.

Ginger-lyn Summer
July 31st 03, 06:52 PM
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 03:49:38 GMT, "Dave" >
wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Does anyone have experience with imitation wood flooring (like Pergo) and
>cats? I'm really tired of this old carpet that traps litter, dirt, dust,
>and hair and am wondering if the immitation wood flooring works OK.
>Specifically, is it scratch resistant? Also, what happens if a cat pees on
>it? I don't know about the cost, but I thought I'd check out Lowes or Home
>Depot this weekend. I do like carpet in the winter because it feels warm,
>but the other aspects I mentioned above are really tiresome.
>
>Thanks!
>Dave

I don't know anything about Pergo, but I talked my landlord into
replacing awful old downstairs carpet a few years ago with vinyl
flooring. Much, much better! Very easy to clean up, although as
someone pointed out about laminate flooring, the cats do tend to skid
on it. And if it is not "sealed", large volumes of liquids *are* a
problem (though not one we have had).

HTH

GInger-lyn

wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Does anyone have experience with imitation wood flooring (like Pergo) and
>cats? I'm really tired of this old carpet that traps litter, dirt, dust,
>and hair and am wondering if the immitation wood flooring works OK.
>Specifically, is it scratch resistant? Also, what happens if a cat pees on
>it? I don't know about the cost, but I thought I'd check out Lowes or Home
>Depot this weekend. I do like carpet in the winter because it feels warm,
>but the other aspects I mentioned above are really tiresome.
>
>Thanks!
>Dave

I don't know anything about Pergo, but I talked my landlord into
replacing awful old downstairs carpet a few years ago with vinyl
flooring. Much, much better! Very easy to clean up, although as
someone pointed out about laminate flooring, the cats do tend to skid
on it. And if it is not "sealed", large volumes of liquids *are* a
problem (though not one we have had).

HTH

GInger-lyn

Sandra Loosemore
August 3rd 03, 05:09 PM
(-L.) writes:

> If you can afford it, hardwood is the way to go.

I definitely agree. A hardwood floor will last more or less forever,
and it's pretty much impervious to anything the cats can do to it.
(Yes, I *have* had to deal with a couple of cat pee accidents over the
years, but it's OK as long as you wipe it up promptly before it has a
chance to soak in.)

-Sandra

Sandra Loosemore
August 3rd 03, 05:09 PM
(-L.) writes:

> If you can afford it, hardwood is the way to go.

I definitely agree. A hardwood floor will last more or less forever,
and it's pretty much impervious to anything the cats can do to it.
(Yes, I *have* had to deal with a couple of cat pee accidents over the
years, but it's OK as long as you wipe it up promptly before it has a
chance to soak in.)

-Sandra

PawsForThought
August 3rd 03, 10:20 PM
>From: Sandra Loosemore

>> If you can afford it, hardwood is the way to go.
>
>I definitely agree. A hardwood floor will last more or less forever,
>and it's pretty much impervious to anything the cats can do to it.
>(Yes, I *have* had to deal with a couple of cat pee accidents over the
>years, but it's OK as long as you wipe it up promptly before it has a
>chance to soak in.)
>
>-Sandra

Just curious, but what type of cleaner do you use on your hardwood floors, in
general?
________

PawsForThought
August 3rd 03, 10:20 PM
>From: Sandra Loosemore

>> If you can afford it, hardwood is the way to go.
>
>I definitely agree. A hardwood floor will last more or less forever,
>and it's pretty much impervious to anything the cats can do to it.
>(Yes, I *have* had to deal with a couple of cat pee accidents over the
>years, but it's OK as long as you wipe it up promptly before it has a
>chance to soak in.)
>
>-Sandra

Just curious, but what type of cleaner do you use on your hardwood floors, in
general?
________

Sandra Loosemore
August 3rd 03, 10:28 PM
(PawsForThought) writes:

> Just curious, but what type of cleaner do you use on your hardwood floors, in
> general?

Damp mop, just plain water. I usually don't mop more than a couple
times a year, though; I just spot-clean spills (and cat barf, and
similar "accidents"), and vaccuum regularly. It helps that I take my
shoes off at the door so I don't track dirt and mud in from outside.

-Sandra

Sandra Loosemore
August 3rd 03, 10:28 PM
(PawsForThought) writes:

> Just curious, but what type of cleaner do you use on your hardwood floors, in
> general?

Damp mop, just plain water. I usually don't mop more than a couple
times a year, though; I just spot-clean spills (and cat barf, and
similar "accidents"), and vaccuum regularly. It helps that I take my
shoes off at the door so I don't track dirt and mud in from outside.

-Sandra

-L.
August 4th 03, 07:59 AM
(PawsForThought) wrote in message >...
> >From: Sandra Loosemore
>
> >> If you can afford it, hardwood is the way to go.
> >
> >I definitely agree. A hardwood floor will last more or less forever,
> >and it's pretty much impervious to anything the cats can do to it.
> >(Yes, I *have* had to deal with a couple of cat pee accidents over the
> >years, but it's OK as long as you wipe it up promptly before it has a
> >chance to soak in.)
> >
> >-Sandra
>
> Just curious, but what type of cleaner do you use on your hardwood floors, in
> general?

Sealed hardwoods should be cleaned with Windex. (Believe it or not!)