PDA

View Full Version : Natasha Update

Jeanne Hedge
August 19th 03, 01:21 AM
Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress
who spent one Friday morning about 10 days ago coating my house in
vomit.

Today was the re-test of her out-of-spec blood test results (kidney
and pancreas). TED said at the time that just about anything could
have caused the kidney and pancreas values to be out of spec, from
throwing up to something imminently life threatening. I'm happy to
report that her pancreas values are back to normal, but her kidney
numbers aren't. A couple further tests were run, and it seems that
Natasha has a kidney infection.

Was that what caused the hurling-fest? Doubtful, the nasty hairball
theory (food backed up behind hairball, when tossing hairball food has
to go first, once vomiting that much she just couldn't stop) seems
most likely.

So now we're treating the kidney infection with a course of
antibiotics (for 1-3 months), prescription diet (Science Diet K/D),
and more blood tests in 2 weeks.

The kidney infection could be a minor issue, but TED has begun
preparing me for this being the early stages of kidney failure brought
on by old age. Future tests will tell that tale.

My mistress has ceased her dictation to me on this subject, so that's
the Tasha Update for today >^_^<

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com

CompuServe Anime/Manga Forum via Your Browser
- IT'S FREE! -
*** http://go.compuserve.com/anime ***

bewtifulfreak
August 19th 03, 01:32 AM
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
> Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress

Here's hoping that Natasha's condition remains under control!

Ann

--

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/bewtifulfreak

Brenda Watkins
August 19th 03, 01:56 AM
"Jeanne Hedge" > wrote in message
> Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress
> who spent one Friday morning about 10 days ago coating my house in
> vomit.
>
> Today was the re-test of her out-of-spec blood test results (kidney
> and pancreas). TED said at the time that just about anything could
> have caused the kidney and pancreas values to be out of spec, from
> throwing up to something imminently life threatening. I'm happy to
> report that her pancreas values are back to normal, but her kidney
> numbers aren't. A couple further tests were run, and it seems that
> Natasha has a kidney infection.
>
> Was that what caused the hurling-fest? Doubtful, the nasty hairball
> theory (food backed up behind hairball, when tossing hairball food has
> to go first, once vomiting that much she just couldn't stop) seems
> most likely.
>
> So now we're treating the kidney infection with a course of
> antibiotics (for 1-3 months), prescription diet (Science Diet K/D),
> and more blood tests in 2 weeks.
>
> The kidney infection could be a minor issue, but TED has begun
> preparing me for this being the early stages of kidney failure brought
> on by old age. Future tests will tell that tale.
>

> My mistress has ceased her dictation to me on this subject, so that's
> the Tasha Update for today >^_^<
>

> Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
>
> http://www.jhedge.com

my guys will keep purring for Natasha.
Brenda

Yoj
August 19th 03, 03:17 AM
Purrs for the best possible outcome, and sympathy for having to
administer an antibiotic over such a long period of time.

--
Joy

"Jeanne Hedge" > wrote in message
> Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress
> who spent one Friday morning about 10 days ago coating my house in
> vomit.
>
> Today was the re-test of her out-of-spec blood test results (kidney
> and pancreas). TED said at the time that just about anything could
> have caused the kidney and pancreas values to be out of spec, from
> throwing up to something imminently life threatening. I'm happy to
> report that her pancreas values are back to normal, but her kidney
> numbers aren't. A couple further tests were run, and it seems that
> Natasha has a kidney infection.
>
> Was that what caused the hurling-fest? Doubtful, the nasty hairball
> theory (food backed up behind hairball, when tossing hairball food has
> to go first, once vomiting that much she just couldn't stop) seems
> most likely.
>
> So now we're treating the kidney infection with a course of
> antibiotics (for 1-3 months), prescription diet (Science Diet K/D),
> and more blood tests in 2 weeks.
>
> The kidney infection could be a minor issue, but TED has begun
> preparing me for this being the early stages of kidney failure brought
> on by old age. Future tests will tell that tale.
>

> My mistress has ceased her dictation to me on this subject, so that's
> the Tasha Update for today >^_^<
>

> Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
>
> http://www.jhedge.com
>

> CompuServe Anime/Manga Forum via Your Browser
> - IT'S FREE! -
> *** http://go.compuserve.com/anime ***

Steve Touchstone
August 19th 03, 04:29 AM
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:21:54 GMT, (Jeanne Hedge) wrote:

>Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress
>who spent one Friday morning about 10 days ago coating my house in
>vomit.
>
>Today was the re-test of her out-of-spec blood test results (kidney
>and pancreas). TED said at the time that just about anything could
>have caused the kidney and pancreas values to be out of spec, from
>throwing up to something imminently life threatening. I'm happy to
>report that her pancreas values are back to normal, but her kidney
>numbers aren't. A couple further tests were run, and it seems that
>Natasha has a kidney infection.
>
>Was that what caused the hurling-fest? Doubtful, the nasty hairball
>theory (food backed up behind hairball, when tossing hairball food has
>to go first, once vomiting that much she just couldn't stop) seems
>most likely.
>
>So now we're treating the kidney infection with a course of
>antibiotics (for 1-3 months), prescription diet (Science Diet K/D),
>and more blood tests in 2 weeks.
>
>The kidney infection could be a minor issue, but TED has begun
>preparing me for this being the early stages of kidney failure brought
>on by old age. Future tests will tell that tale.
>

>My mistress has ceased her dictation to me on this subject, so that's
>the Tasha Update for today >^_^<
>

>Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
>
>http://www.jhedge.com
>

>CompuServe Anime/Manga Forum via Your Browser
> - IT'S FREE! -
>*** http://go.compuserve.com/anime ***

Purrs that the antibiotics will clear up the infection and that
further tests will show healthy kidney functions.

Marina
August 19th 03, 05:27 AM
"Jeanne Hedge" > wrote
> Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress
> who spent one Friday morning about 10 days ago coating my house in
> vomit.

Many purrs that the antibiotics make her all better again. Many purrs for
you, too, for having to administer said antibiotics.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

LOL
August 19th 03, 05:51 AM
(Jeanne Hedge) wrote in message >...
> Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress
> who spent one Friday morning about 10 days ago coating my house in
> vomit.
>
> Today was the re-test of her out-of-spec blood test results (kidney
> and pancreas). TED said at the time that just about anything could
> have caused the kidney and pancreas values to be out of spec, from
> throwing up to something imminently life threatening. I'm happy to
> report that her pancreas values are back to normal, but her kidney
> numbers aren't. A couple further tests were run, and it seems that
> Natasha has a kidney infection.
>
> Was that what caused the hurling-fest? Doubtful, the nasty hairball
> theory (food backed up behind hairball, when tossing hairball food has
> to go first, once vomiting that much she just couldn't stop) seems
> most likely.
>
> So now we're treating the kidney infection with a course of
> antibiotics (for 1-3 months), prescription diet (Science Diet K/D),
> and more blood tests in 2 weeks.
>
> The kidney infection could be a minor issue, but TED has begun
> preparing me for this being the early stages of kidney failure brought
> on by old age. Future tests will tell that tale.
>

> My mistress has ceased her dictation to me on this subject, so that's
> the Tasha Update for today >^_^<
>

> Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
>
> http://www.jhedge.com

Purrs to Natasha; I hope the infection clears up and Natasha is
herself again right away.
------
Krista

polonca12000
August 19th 03, 12:09 PM
Lots of best wishes and purrs for it *not* to be kidney failure at all,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Jeanne Hedge" > wrote in message
<snip>> The kidney infection could be a minor issue, but TED has begun
> preparing me for this being the early stages of kidney failure brought
> on by old age. Future tests will tell that tale.

Julie Cook
August 19th 03, 03:57 PM
Jeanne Hedge wrote:

>Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress
>who spent one Friday morning about 10 days ago coating my house in
>vomit.

Hobbes, Selena and Lacey are sending stomach calming purrs and kidney
healing meatloaf meditations. I shall light a healing candle for
Natasha. We're hoping this is simply an infection that can be cleared up
with the antibiotics.

Julie, Hobbes, Selena and Lacey

Dan & Nancy Mahoney
August 19th 03, 07:23 PM
Jeanne Hedge wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:06:47 -0600, "Byron & Christine Burel"
> > wrote:
>

>>I have had 2 cats
>>with kidney failure; one diagnosed at 15 and who lived till almost 21 and
>>the last who was diagnosed at 14 and lived till 17. In both cases, I feel
>>that giving subq fluids helped them feel better and helped their kidney
>>values.
>

> Hi Christine,
>
> Sub-q fluids was something the vet mentioned as a "down the road"
> possibility for Natasha (she called it "kitty dialysis"), and said it
> was something they could teach me to do. Did you give the shots
> yourself or did you take your cats to the vet to get them? What does
> it entail? How frequently were they given? Is this something really
> complicated? Were they expensive?

Sub-q fluids aren't at all complicated, and it *is* something you can do
yourself. The vet will send you home an IV bag of solution, a rubber
tube, and a needle. You hook all the pieces together (the vet will show
you how), hang the bag from a handy place, pull some skin up away from
kitty's body, insert the needle under the skin, open the valve on the
tubing setup, and allow a measured amount of solution to flow. If this
is something that you're likely to have to do for a while, ask the vet
about him inserting a tube under the skin so that you'll just have to
insert the needle into the tube, instead of sticking it under kitty's
skin yourself.

We did this for a little while for miss DD.

Dan

Sam Nash
August 20th 03, 02:04 AM
"Jeanne Hedge" > wrote in message
> Here's an update about Natasha, my 16 year-old mistress
> who spent one Friday morning about 10 days ago coating my house in
> vomit.

<snipped>

Purrs for Natasha's recovery.
Sam

fuga =^o^=
August 20th 03, 04:33 AM
> Hi Christine,
>
> Sub-q fluids was something the vet mentioned as a "down the road"
> possibility for Natasha (she called it "kitty dialysis"), and said it
> was something they could teach me to do. Did you give the shots
> yourself or did you take your cats to the vet to get them? What does
> it entail? How frequently were they given? Is this something really
> complicated? Were they expensive?
>

> Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

Fuga is getting fluids now for his constipation (once a week).. I think they
start the fluid therapy for cats once their creatine gets elevated because
the cats cannot drink enough water to keep up with the dehydration they have
from frequent urination. I think initally it starts off as once a week and
gradually builds up to daily. I think if Natasha is on K/D and she's been
caught at the very early stages it could be many years before you need to do
fluids.

You can take your cat to the vet to have it done but it gets to be costly,
my vet charges $12.50 to administer the fluids, to buy the fluids and the
needles it costs us about $25.00 and we can use it for 10 times... I think
it's best to take the cat in and watch the vet do it a few times and then
gradually you can try doing it at the vet. We took fuga into the vet about
5 times before Bruce and I administered the fluids at home. To be honest, I
cannot get myself to the point of inserting needle yet..

It is upsetting to hear that our kitties have CRF, fuga was diagnosed with
it 14 months ago. Caught early with a proper diet they can liver quite a
while, on some of the CRF groups I'm on there are people who have cats with
CRF for 7 years.

Huggs & headbutts,

Fuga

Byron & Christine Burel
August 20th 03, 05:41 AM
"Jeanne Hedge" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:06:47 -0600, "Byron & Christine Burel"
> > wrote:
>
> >I have had 2 cats
> >with kidney failure; one diagnosed at 15 and who lived till almost 21 and
> >the last who was diagnosed at 14 and lived till 17. In both cases, I
feel
> >that giving subq fluids helped them feel better and helped their kidney
> >values.
>
> Hi Christine,
>
> Sub-q fluids was something the vet mentioned as a "down the road"
> possibility for Natasha (she called it "kitty dialysis"), and said it
> was something they could teach me to do. Did you give the shots
> yourself or did you take your cats to the vet to get them? What does
> it entail? How frequently were they given? Is this something really
> complicated? Were they expensive?
>

> Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
>
> http://www.jhedge.com
>

> CompuServe Anime/Manga Forum via Your Browser
> - IT'S FREE! -
> *** http://go.compuserve.com/anime ***

Hi Jeanne,

It wasn't that hard to do. DH was kind enough to do it for me for the first
year with Frodo (the almost 21-yr-old) because I was squeamish -- then he
started travelling and well, I just had to do it so I did. I gave Frodo 100
ml once a day and the same amount a few years later when I had to start with
fluids for Shetra. The higher you can hang the bag the faster the flow rate
and the less time it takes to give the fluids; I finally got the idea to
hand the bag on a coathanger from our shower rod in the bathroom. And
always, always after the cat getting fluids was done I broke out special
kitty treats for him (and also for the other kitties, too.) I think also
you can get a better price than Dan did maybe by asking some of the people
on the CRF groups when the time comes. Also, I have another friend I can
ask who knows of a good place to order online but I can't recall it at the
moment, will ask for you.-- I was very lucky -- my vet let me buy a case of
IV fluids (12 bags) plus all the accessory supplies for about $35-$40,
because I learned (not hard) to attach the lines and needles myself.

And, Jeanne, if I can do it, anyone can!
Christine

SUQKRT
August 22nd 03, 04:07 PM
In article >, (Jeanne Hedge)
wrote:

>My mistress has ceased her dictation to me on this subject, so that's the
Tasha Update for today >^_^<

>Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha
>
>http://www.jhedge.com

I'm glad she's ok.
Suz
Iron Chef Macmoosette
Thank Heavens There's Only One

Chocolate heals all wounds.

Ginger-lyn Summer
August 22nd 03, 06:30 PM
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:06:47 -0600, "Byron & Christine Burel"
> wrote:

>Purrs for both Natasha and for you, Jeanne -- hope the antibiotics clear up
>infection quickly. I'm no expert but maybe she was feeling nauseated from
>being dehydrated after several bouts of throwing up ? I have had 2 cats
>with kidney failure; one diagnosed at 15 and who lived till almost 21 and
>the last who was diagnosed at 14 and lived till 17. In both cases, I feel
>that giving subq fluids helped them feel better and helped their kidney
>values. I hope that Natasha won't need fluid therapy for a long while yet
>but if she does it can be beneficial.
>hugs,
>Christine

Purrs from here, too, and a second to Christine's post that subq
fluids can really help. I have not yet started doing them with Cosmo,
but I know the time will come, and I will be ready.

Ginger-lyn