PDA

View Full Version : Re: UK Conducts Record Number Of Animal Experiments

Sherry
August 11th 03, 07:56 AM
In article >, Malcolm
> writes
>>
>>In article >, ANC
>>Webmaster > writes
>>> Outraged animal welfare groups accused the British government of breaking
>>>its election pledge to end cruelty to animals, after newly published
>>>statistics this month revealed that animal experiments in the UK have
>>>reached a record high.
>
>>>http://www.anc.org/laboratory/laboratory_article.cfm?identifier=2003_0806_te
>>>sts
>>
>>Yes, indeed, not a happy situation, but is the following statement from
>>your website backed up by any figures?
>>
>>"In practical terms, the four percent increase in experiments in 2002
>>means that scientists subjected 300 more dogs, cats, horses and mice to
>>experimental procedures each day, than they had done in previous years."
>>
>>The statement released by the Home Office says: "In 2002, according to
>>the statistics, 2.29 million experiments were carried out on rats, mice
>>and rabbits; 191,000 on fish, 136,000 on birds, and 27,300 on dogs,
>>cats, horses or monkeys."
>>
>>I would therefore be grateful if you could post the figures which show
>>that the 4% increase applies equally across the board to all the
>>animals mentioned. I would hate it if you had added "dogs, cats,
>>horses" to "mice" if you didn't actually know whether the 4% increase
>>was applicable to them all, but perhaps only, or mainly, to mice, which
>>with rats and rabbits, are involved in 84% of the total number of
>>experiments.
>>
>>I seek your reassurance on this point.
>>
>Two days later and I'd still like an answer, please, or don't you bother
>to read any responses made to your statements?
>
>--
>Malcolm

Dur hey, those posts are crossposted to a good number of animal groups. The
person posting probably never reads this group.

Sherry

Sherry
August 11th 03, 07:56 AM
In article >, Malcolm