PDA

View Full Version : I Shall Miss Mei Ling

AWriteny
August 16th 03, 10:50 AM
Yesterday, one week after my birthday, I had to say goodbye to my dear friend
and loyal companion - Mei (May) Ling. She was 18 1/2.

It seemed like such a short time ago when she & I first met. It was actually in
1986. Her green eyes, freckled nose, and unique (calico) coloring were
irresistable. I took her home from the shelter. She hid under the sofa on the
first day and then decided she was Queen of the house...and she was.

She went from being a young brat to a graceful adult to the regal elder
stateswoman; from jumping onto every surface - know matter how high, to
following me all over the house and into the hall, to resting more often than
being awake. I almost forgot the games we used to play. She loved swatting at
string. Years later, she decided it was beneath her to do anything of the sort
and looked at me as if to say, "why do you continue to do such a silly thing?"

I made the decision that all of us who love our pets dread making. She had
cancer and could no longer enjoy any quality of life. It broke my heart, but I
knew I needed to be strong that one time - for her. My husband & I were with
her at the end. I told her how much I loved her..how much she'd be missed. We
took her to rest under a shady tree by a family home.

Some years ago, I received a gift of a painted portrait of Mei Ling. I remember
when the original photo was taken about a decade ago. I had recently married.
My wedding dress was on the bed. Mei Ling decided that she was going to sit
right in the middle. My husband took the picture - one of so many photos that
were taken of her cute antics during the years. The painting was hung in the
living room the very night it was received. I look at it now as I'm typing
this tribute.

Mei Ling enriched my life. I shall miss her.
August 15th, 2003.

Suzie-Q
August 17th 03, 03:54 AM
AWriteny wrote:

> Yesterday, one week after my birthday, I had to say goodbye to my dear friend
> and loyal companion - Mei (May) Ling. She was 18 1/2.
>
> It seemed like such a short time ago when she & I first met. It was actually in
> 1986. Her green eyes, freckled nose, and unique (calico) coloring were
> irresistable. I took her home from the shelter. She hid under the sofa on the
> first day and then decided she was Queen of the house...and she was.
>
> She went from being a young brat to a graceful adult to the regal elder
> stateswoman; from jumping onto every surface - know matter how high, to
> following me all over the house and into the hall, to resting more often than
> being awake. I almost forgot the games we used to play. She loved swatting at
> string. Years later, she decided it was beneath her to do anything of the sort
> and looked at me as if to say, "why do you continue to do such a silly thing?"
>
> I made the decision that all of us who love our pets dread making. She had
> cancer and could no longer enjoy any quality of life. It broke my heart, but I
> knew I needed to be strong that one time - for her. My husband & I were with
> her at the end. I told her how much I loved her..how much she'd be missed. We
> took her to rest under a shady tree by a family home.
>
> Some years ago, I received a gift of a painted portrait of Mei Ling. I remember
> when the original photo was taken about a decade ago. I had recently married.
> My wedding dress was on the bed. Mei Ling decided that she was going to sit
> right in the middle. My husband took the picture - one of so many photos that
> were taken of her cute antics during the years. The painting was hung in the
> living room the very night it was received. I look at it now as I'm typing
> this tribute.
>
> Mei Ling enriched my life. I shall miss her.
> August 15th, 2003.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

8^(~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/

Suzie-Q
August 17th 03, 03:54 AM
AWriteny wrote:

> Yesterday, one week after my birthday, I had to say goodbye to my dear friend
> and loyal companion - Mei (May) Ling. She was 18 1/2.
>
> It seemed like such a short time ago when she & I first met. It was actually in
> 1986. Her green eyes, freckled nose, and unique (calico) coloring were
> irresistable. I took her home from the shelter. She hid under the sofa on the
> first day and then decided she was Queen of the house...and she was.
>
> She went from being a young brat to a graceful adult to the regal elder
> stateswoman; from jumping onto every surface - know matter how high, to
> following me all over the house and into the hall, to resting more often than
> being awake. I almost forgot the games we used to play. She loved swatting at
> string. Years later, she decided it was beneath her to do anything of the sort
> and looked at me as if to say, "why do you continue to do such a silly thing?"
>
> I made the decision that all of us who love our pets dread making. She had
> cancer and could no longer enjoy any quality of life. It broke my heart, but I
> knew I needed to be strong that one time - for her. My husband & I were with
> her at the end. I told her how much I loved her..how much she'd be missed. We
> took her to rest under a shady tree by a family home.
>
> Some years ago, I received a gift of a painted portrait of Mei Ling. I remember
> when the original photo was taken about a decade ago. I had recently married.
> My wedding dress was on the bed. Mei Ling decided that she was going to sit
> right in the middle. My husband took the picture - one of so many photos that
> were taken of her cute antics during the years. The painting was hung in the
> living room the very night it was received. I look at it now as I'm typing
> this tribute.
>
> Mei Ling enriched my life. I shall miss her.
> August 15th, 2003.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

8^(~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/

AWriteny
August 17th 03, 11:24 PM
I wrote
>> Yesterday, one week after my >>birthday, I had to say goodbye to my >>dear
friend
>> and loyal companion - Mei (May) >>Ling. She was 18 1/2.

Ricky writes
>What a beautiful heartfelt tribute >you've written for little Mei Ling.
>Please accept my sincere >sympathy for your heartbreaking >loss.

Thank you, Ricky, for your compassionate thoughts.

AWriteny
August 17th 03, 11:24 PM
I wrote
>> Yesterday, one week after my >>birthday, I had to say goodbye to my >>dear
friend
>> and loyal companion - Mei (May) >>Ling. She was 18 1/2.

Ricky writes
>What a beautiful heartfelt tribute >you've written for little Mei Ling.
>Please accept my sincere >sympathy for your heartbreaking >loss.

Thank you, Ricky, for your compassionate thoughts.

Linda Terrell
August 18th 03, 10:24 AM
How good her life must have been to live
18 years.

Would that I would have another cat live
to that. Only ever had one, a huge
apple head siamese male who died in
1987.

I have 7 cats right now (5 rescues); oldest is 6.5
and I hope all of them can see their teens.

LT