PDA

View Full Version : Petmate Performa litterbox

Adam Helberg
September 18th 03, 06:08 AM
I have the Littermaid but saw the new Performa box at Petsmart. Anyone have experience with
this and how it compares with Littermaid?

Adam

F. Robert Falbo
September 20th 03, 06:01 PM
In message .net>, "Adam
Helberg" wrote:
> I have the Littermaid but saw the new Performa box at Petsmart. Anyone have
> experience with
> this and how it compares with Littermaid?

We just got one installed about 3 days ago, and so far...

1. Nice overall design, visually, but... (based on Scoop-Away Litter)

2. It uses a steel rake, which is removable to clean. A very good idea,
but the tines are too narrow, so it tends to break clumps apart on the way to
the holding area. The speed is about half that of the LitterMaid - no big
deal, and the motor/mechanism is a little quieter.

3. The design for the tracks puts it outside of the litter section, a real
plus compared to the LitterMaid, which constantly gets litter in its track.
And an overall shell covers that track.

4. Bad news - The holding area is a real abortion. After the rest of the
PetMate, the holding area looks like someone designed it that never used it.
It uses a bag similar to a shopping bag, but with an extended flap that is
supposed to fit over the lid, but doesn't actually fit well. It's hard to
describe how bad the design really is. We have lots of cats, and while the
design of that crap holder/bag/cover might be ok for someone that empties it
every few days, I don't have that luxury - it's every day with 2 LitterMaids
and this PetSmart, along with a "manual-empty" litter pan.
--
-bob-
MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro

F. Robert Falbo
September 20th 03, 06:01 PM
In message .net>, "Adam
Helberg" wrote:
> I have the Littermaid but saw the new Performa box at Petsmart. Anyone have
> experience with
> this and how it compares with Littermaid?

We just got one installed about 3 days ago, and so far...

1. Nice overall design, visually, but... (based on Scoop-Away Litter)

2. It uses a steel rake, which is removable to clean. A very good idea,
but the tines are too narrow, so it tends to break clumps apart on the way to
the holding area. The speed is about half that of the LitterMaid - no big
deal, and the motor/mechanism is a little quieter.

3. The design for the tracks puts it outside of the litter section, a real
plus compared to the LitterMaid, which constantly gets litter in its track.
And an overall shell covers that track.

4. Bad news - The holding area is a real abortion. After the rest of the
PetMate, the holding area looks like someone designed it that never used it.
It uses a bag similar to a shopping bag, but with an extended flap that is
supposed to fit over the lid, but doesn't actually fit well. It's hard to
describe how bad the design really is. We have lots of cats, and while the
design of that crap holder/bag/cover might be ok for someone that empties it
every few days, I don't have that luxury - it's every day with 2 LitterMaids
and this PetSmart, along with a "manual-empty" litter pan.
--
-bob-
MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro
No Blue Screen of Death, no corrupted registry, no viruses, and NO BILL GATES

Adam Helberg
September 20th 03, 07:30 PM
"F. Robert Falbo" > wrote in message
> In message .net>, "Adam
> Helberg" wrote:
> > I have the Littermaid but saw the new Performa box at Petsmart. Anyone have
> > experience with
> > this and how it compares with Littermaid?
>
> We just got one installed about 3 days ago, and so far...
>
> 1. Nice overall design, visually, but... (based on Scoop-Away Litter)
>
> 2. It uses a steel rake, which is removable to clean. A very good idea,
> but the tines are too narrow, so it tends to break clumps apart on the way to
> the holding area. The speed is about half that of the LitterMaid - no big
> deal, and the motor/mechanism is a little quieter.
>
> 3. The design for the tracks puts it outside of the litter section, a real
> plus compared to the LitterMaid, which constantly gets litter in its track.
> And an overall shell covers that track.
>
> 4. Bad news - The holding area is a real abortion. After the rest of the
> PetMate, the holding area looks like someone designed it that never used it.
> It uses a bag similar to a shopping bag, but with an extended flap that is
> supposed to fit over the lid, but doesn't actually fit well. It's hard to
> describe how bad the design really is. We have lots of cats, and while the
> design of that crap holder/bag/cover might be ok for someone that empties it
> every few days, I don't have that luxury - it's every day with 2 LitterMaids
> and this PetSmart, along with a "manual-empty" litter pan.
> --
> -bob-
> MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro
> No Blue Screen of Death, no corrupted registry, no viruses, and NO BILL GATES

Thanks for the report. I have a Littermaid Mega. Is the steel rake the same shape as the
plastic Littermaid? I find the rake sometimes misses small poop clump on the bottom because of
the clearance from the bottom. Also I wished the distance between tines was a little smaller
for it also missed small poops.

Also my cat like to lounge on top of the privacy tent, on top of which I placed a pillow for
her, and Performa shell is curved.

adam

Adam Helberg
September 20th 03, 07:30 PM
"F. Robert Falbo" > wrote in message
> In message .net>, "Adam
> Helberg" wrote:
> > I have the Littermaid but saw the new Performa box at Petsmart. Anyone have
> > experience with
> > this and how it compares with Littermaid?
>
> We just got one installed about 3 days ago, and so far...
>
> 1. Nice overall design, visually, but... (based on Scoop-Away Litter)
>
> 2. It uses a steel rake, which is removable to clean. A very good idea,
> but the tines are too narrow, so it tends to break clumps apart on the way to
> the holding area. The speed is about half that of the LitterMaid - no big
> deal, and the motor/mechanism is a little quieter.
>
> 3. The design for the tracks puts it outside of the litter section, a real
> plus compared to the LitterMaid, which constantly gets litter in its track.
> And an overall shell covers that track.
>
> 4. Bad news - The holding area is a real abortion. After the rest of the
> PetMate, the holding area looks like someone designed it that never used it.
> It uses a bag similar to a shopping bag, but with an extended flap that is
> supposed to fit over the lid, but doesn't actually fit well. It's hard to
> describe how bad the design really is. We have lots of cats, and while the
> design of that crap holder/bag/cover might be ok for someone that empties it
> every few days, I don't have that luxury - it's every day with 2 LitterMaids
> and this PetSmart, along with a "manual-empty" litter pan.
> --
> -bob-
> MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro
> No Blue Screen of Death, no corrupted registry, no viruses, and NO BILL GATES

Thanks for the report. I have a Littermaid Mega. Is the steel rake the same shape as the
plastic Littermaid? I find the rake sometimes misses small poop clump on the bottom because of
the clearance from the bottom. Also I wished the distance between tines was a little smaller
for it also missed small poops.

Also my cat like to lounge on top of the privacy tent, on top of which I placed a pillow for
her, and Performa shell is curved.

adam

F. Robert Falbo
September 20th 03, 11:03 PM
In message . net>, "Adam
Helberg" wrote:

> Thanks for the report. I have a Littermaid Mega. Is the steel rake the same
> shape as the plastic Littermaid?

The PetMate's tines are straight, round steel that extend down from a steel bar.

> I find the rake sometimes misses small poop clump on the bottom because of
> the clearance from the bottom.

The bottom of the PetMate is a clear plastic liner, and I think the tines
actually ride right on it

> Also I wished the distance between tines was a little smaller
> for it also missed small poops.

The tines of the LitterMaid regular, Plus, & Mega are the same, at 7/16"
spacing. The PetMate's tines are at 9/16" spacing, which would make your
problem worse.

> Also my cat like to lounge on top of the privacy tent, on top of which I
> placed a pillow for her, and Performa shell is curved.

No cover for ours. They have enough places to sleep, which no longer includes
my old CRT that got a hairball puked into it. :(

--

Helberg" wrote:

> Thanks for the report. I have a Littermaid Mega. Is the steel rake the same
> shape as the plastic Littermaid?

The PetMate's tines are straight, round steel that extend down from a steel bar.

> I find the rake sometimes misses small poop clump on the bottom because of
> the clearance from the bottom.

The bottom of the PetMate is a clear plastic liner, and I think the tines
actually ride right on it

> Also I wished the distance between tines was a little smaller
> for it also missed small poops.

The tines of the LitterMaid regular, Plus, & Mega are the same, at 7/16"
spacing. The PetMate's tines are at 9/16" spacing, which would make your
problem worse.

> Also my cat like to lounge on top of the privacy tent, on top of which I
> placed a pillow for her, and Performa shell is curved.

No cover for ours. They have enough places to sleep, which no longer includes
my old CRT that got a hairball puked into it. :(

--
-bob-
MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro
No Blue Screen of Death, no corrupted registry, no viruses, and NO BILL GATES

Adam Helberg
September 21st 03, 08:50 PM
"F. Robert Falbo" > wrote in message
.. .
> In message . net>, "Adam
> Helberg" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the report. I have a Littermaid Mega. Is the steel rake the same
> > shape as the plastic Littermaid?
>
> The PetMate's tines are straight, round steel that extend down from a steel bar.
>
> > I find the rake sometimes misses small poop clump on the bottom because of
> > the clearance from the bottom.
>
> The bottom of the PetMate is a clear plastic liner, and I think the tines
> actually ride right on it
>
> > Also I wished the distance between tines was a little smaller
> > for it also missed small poops.
>
> The tines of the LitterMaid regular, Plus, & Mega are the same, at 7/16"
> spacing. The PetMate's tines are at 9/16" spacing, which would make your
> problem worse.
>
> > Also my cat like to lounge on top of the privacy tent, on top of which I
> > placed a pillow for her, and Performa shell is curved.
>
> No cover for ours. They have enough places to sleep, which no longer includes
> my old CRT that got a hairball puked into it. :(
>
> --
> -bob-
> MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro
> No Blue Screen of Death, no corrupted registry, no viruses, and NO BILL GATES

Thanks for the info.

Adam

Adam Helberg
September 21st 03, 08:50 PM
"F. Robert Falbo" > wrote in message
.. .
> In message . net>, "Adam
> Helberg" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the report. I have a Littermaid Mega. Is the steel rake the same
> > shape as the plastic Littermaid?
>
> The PetMate's tines are straight, round steel that extend down from a steel bar.
>
> > I find the rake sometimes misses small poop clump on the bottom because of
> > the clearance from the bottom.
>
> The bottom of the PetMate is a clear plastic liner, and I think the tines
> actually ride right on it
>
> > Also I wished the distance between tines was a little smaller
> > for it also missed small poops.
>
> The tines of the LitterMaid regular, Plus, & Mega are the same, at 7/16"
> spacing. The PetMate's tines are at 9/16" spacing, which would make your
> problem worse.
>
> > Also my cat like to lounge on top of the privacy tent, on top of which I
> > placed a pillow for her, and Performa shell is curved.
>
> No cover for ours. They have enough places to sleep, which no longer includes
> my old CRT that got a hairball puked into it. :(
>
> --
> -bob-
> MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro
> No Blue Screen of Death, no corrupted registry, no viruses, and NO BILL GATES

Thanks for the info.

Adam

Adam Helberg
September 28th 03, 06:13 PM
"F. Robert Falbo" > wrote in message
.. .

I have a question for you. I have two cats, a 3 year old female and just got a 16 week old male
kitten 3 weeks ago. The older cat still gets upset over the kitten but is gradually getting
used to him. She uses a Littermaid and the kitten uses a regular box that I have to clean twice
a day. Do you think I can eventually get both cats to use the Littermaid or do I need to get a
second automatic box? Is it true I need one box per cat? If I do get another box do you
recommend the Littermaid or Performa?

Adam

Adam Helberg
September 28th 03, 06:13 PM
"F. Robert Falbo" > wrote in message
.. .

I have a question for you. I have two cats, a 3 year old female and just got a 16 week old male
kitten 3 weeks ago. The older cat still gets upset over the kitten but is gradually getting
used to him. She uses a Littermaid and the kitten uses a regular box that I have to clean twice
a day. Do you think I can eventually get both cats to use the Littermaid or do I need to get a
second automatic box? Is it true I need one box per cat? If I do get another box do you
recommend the Littermaid or Performa?

Adam

EKKO BURT
October 6th 03, 02:03 AM
I have 2 cats that were used to using a regular litterbox. They didn't know
what to think about the big noisy Littermaid litterbox, but what I did was
to get it and put it right next to their old box and not clean it as often
as they like. They eventually started using Littermaid box and I removed
the old one. I also have 2 cats and they use the same box and I don't have
a problem. The only problem is that I have to change the disposal container
every few days rather than once a week. Not too bad considering I was
cleaning the box nightly to begin with. If you want to see if 1 box is
sufficient, maybe try moving the regular box next to the Littermaid box and
see if they will use it there, don't clean it is often and see if they will
switch. My cats are fine with it now, and they are very spooked by loud
noises and things moving having come from an abusive home. As for the
better alternative, Littermaid or Performa, I don't have an answer for that,
I have only used the Littermaid. I hope this is helpful.
~Ekko

"Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "F. Robert Falbo" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
> I have a question for you. I have two cats, a 3 year old female and just
got a 16 week old male
> kitten 3 weeks ago. The older cat still gets upset over the kitten but is
gradually getting
> used to him. She uses a Littermaid and the kitten uses a regular box that
I have to clean twice
> a day. Do you think I can eventually get both cats to use the Littermaid
or do I need to get a
> second automatic box? Is it true I need one box per cat? If I do get
another box do you
> recommend the Littermaid or Performa?
>
> Adam

EKKO BURT
October 6th 03, 02:03 AM
I have 2 cats that were used to using a regular litterbox. They didn't know
what to think about the big noisy Littermaid litterbox, but what I did was
to get it and put it right next to their old box and not clean it as often
as they like. They eventually started using Littermaid box and I removed
the old one. I also have 2 cats and they use the same box and I don't have
a problem. The only problem is that I have to change the disposal container
every few days rather than once a week. Not too bad considering I was
cleaning the box nightly to begin with. If you want to see if 1 box is
sufficient, maybe try moving the regular box next to the Littermaid box and
see if they will use it there, don't clean it is often and see if they will
switch. My cats are fine with it now, and they are very spooked by loud
noises and things moving having come from an abusive home. As for the
better alternative, Littermaid or Performa, I don't have an answer for that,
I have only used the Littermaid. I hope this is helpful.
~Ekko

"Adam Helberg" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> "F. Robert Falbo" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
> I have a question for you. I have two cats, a 3 year old female and just
got a 16 week old male
> kitten 3 weeks ago. The older cat still gets upset over the kitten but is
gradually getting
> used to him. She uses a Littermaid and the kitten uses a regular box that
I have to clean twice
> a day. Do you think I can eventually get both cats to use the Littermaid
or do I need to get a
> second automatic box? Is it true I need one box per cat? If I do get
another box do you
> recommend the Littermaid or Performa?
>
> Adam

Linda Terrell
October 6th 03, 01:52 PM
The first Littermaid I bought -- 3 years ago and still in use --
the cats took to it as if it had always been there.
As I added cats (now 7), I added 2 more LM's.
I have to empty them once a day but it's still
beter than scopping out 3 or 4 lippterpans
several times a day, hauling huge bags of
clay litter about.

I can't see whre the Petmate would be any
different from what I have, save more $.

LT

Linda Terrell
October 6th 03, 01:52 PM
The first Littermaid I bought -- 3 years ago and still in use --
the cats took to it as if it had always been there.
As I added cats (now 7), I added 2 more LM's.
I have to empty them once a day but it's still
beter than scopping out 3 or 4 lippterpans
several times a day, hauling huge bags of
clay litter about.

I can't see whre the Petmate would be any
different from what I have, save more $.

LT

Adam Helberg
October 7th 03, 02:55 AM
"EKKO BURT" > wrote in message
> I have 2 cats that were used to using a regular litterbox. They didn't know
> what to think about the big noisy Littermaid litterbox, but what I did was
> to get it and put it right next to their old box and not clean it as often
> as they like. They eventually started using Littermaid box and I removed
> the old one. I also have 2 cats and they use the same box and I don't have
> a problem. The only problem is that I have to change the disposal container
> every few days rather than once a week. Not too bad considering I was
> cleaning the box nightly to begin with. If you want to see if 1 box is
> sufficient, maybe try moving the regular box next to the Littermaid box and
> see if they will use it there, don't clean it is often and see if they will
> switch. My cats are fine with it now, and they are very spooked by loud
> noises and things moving having come from an abusive home. As for the
> better alternative, Littermaid or Performa, I don't have an answer for that,
> I have only used the Littermaid. I hope this is helpful.
> ~Ekko

Very good idea. Thanks.

Adam Helberg
October 7th 03, 02:55 AM
"EKKO BURT" > wrote in message
> I have 2 cats that were used to using a regular litterbox. They didn't know
> what to think about the big noisy Littermaid litterbox, but what I did was
> to get it and put it right next to their old box and not clean it as often
> as they like. They eventually started using Littermaid box and I removed
> the old one. I also have 2 cats and they use the same box and I don't have
> a problem. The only problem is that I have to change the disposal container
> every few days rather than once a week. Not too bad considering I was
> cleaning the box nightly to begin with. If you want to see if 1 box is
> sufficient, maybe try moving the regular box next to the Littermaid box and
> see if they will use it there, don't clean it is often and see if they will
> switch. My cats are fine with it now, and they are very spooked by loud
> noises and things moving having come from an abusive home. As for the
> better alternative, Littermaid or Performa, I don't have an answer for that,
> I have only used the Littermaid. I hope this is helpful.
> ~Ekko

Very good idea. Thanks.

F. Robert Falbo
October 7th 03, 03:48 AM
In message
"Linda Terrell" wrote:

> I can't see whre the Petmate would be any
> different from what I have, save more $.

Both the LitterMaid & Performa have their weaknesses
It looks like the PetMate people tried to address some of
the problems with the LitterMaid, but introduced thier own.

While the LitterMaid's rake can be removed, it's a pain.
Performa's rake is an easy lift-out. BUT... Performa's
teeth are farther apart, and let more "stuff" through,
which leaves more broken "chunks" all over the pan.

Also, the motor in the Performa is pathetically underpowered,
so if more than one cat goes before the next sweep, it may jam
the rake at the end ramp. This happens way too much.

Pluses go to Performa for putting the drive mechanism outside
of the pan - no need to clean the track. But then, they have
the rake stop about 1/2" short of the storage tray's lip, and
some clumps just sit there, keeping the lid open.

IMO, The storage on the LitterMaid is better thought-out than
the one on the Performa. Both are large enough, but for multi-
Cat families, the bags on the Performa are clutzy at best.
We're a multiCat family, with multiple "boxes", and so we use
shopping bags for crap disposal, emptying the boxes into a bag
and into the garbage. The LitterMaid makes this easier for me.

The Performa leaks less litter onto the floor by virtue of its
outer cover. Here, the LitterMaid could take a hint, but in a
day to day multicat environment, the LitterMaid wins.

--

"Linda Terrell" wrote:

> I can't see whre the Petmate would be any
> different from what I have, save more $.

Both the LitterMaid & Performa have their weaknesses
It looks like the PetMate people tried to address some of
the problems with the LitterMaid, but introduced thier own.

While the LitterMaid's rake can be removed, it's a pain.
Performa's rake is an easy lift-out. BUT... Performa's
teeth are farther apart, and let more "stuff" through,
which leaves more broken "chunks" all over the pan.

Also, the motor in the Performa is pathetically underpowered,
so if more than one cat goes before the next sweep, it may jam
the rake at the end ramp. This happens way too much.

Pluses go to Performa for putting the drive mechanism outside
of the pan - no need to clean the track. But then, they have
the rake stop about 1/2" short of the storage tray's lip, and
some clumps just sit there, keeping the lid open.

IMO, The storage on the LitterMaid is better thought-out than
the one on the Performa. Both are large enough, but for multi-
Cat families, the bags on the Performa are clutzy at best.
We're a multiCat family, with multiple "boxes", and so we use
shopping bags for crap disposal, emptying the boxes into a bag
and into the garbage. The LitterMaid makes this easier for me.

The Performa leaks less litter onto the floor by virtue of its
outer cover. Here, the LitterMaid could take a hint, but in a
day to day multicat environment, the LitterMaid wins.

--
-bob-
MICE Newsreader - Powered by BeOS 5.03 Pro
No Blue Screen of Death, no corrupted registry, no viruses, and NO BILL GATES

erayser
December 10th 03, 11:51 AM
(Since this is written during the holiday season, PLEASE read before considering giving this product as a gift).

I've used a Petmate Performa Plus Jumbo Hooded Appliance for less than one week (purchased for $200.00 at Petco). It is for one cat in my house.

I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS PRODUCT.

I found this product to actually NOT be a timesaving device as advertising purports. On the contrary, I found it to be a time-consuming device and now actually prefer a good old-fashioned 20th century litterbox (and I'm a gadget-loving ex-computer enginerd).

I followed the instructions to the "t" and still cannot get the product to work as designed.

Reasons:

A. Product design flaw #1: Underpowered motor. The motor which drives the rake that pushed clumped kitty litter into the reservoir is underpowered. Quite often it jams and does not complete its cycle, leaving litter in the pan, not the reservoir. I have to manually scoop the litter out myself. Already, the inherent timesaving feature of this poopy product has been defeated. I've sarcastically pointed out that a hamster on a wheel could generate more horsepower than the electronic motor on this "appliance".

B. Product design flaw #2: The tines on the rake which pushes the litter away is spaced too far apart. Consequently, many specks of litter do not get raked into the reservoir. (And yes, I am using premium clumping litter as the instructions advise). Once again, I have to manually scoop the litter myself.

C. Product desing flaw #3: As a result of aforementioned factors A & B, I constantly (more like on a daily basis) have to take the appliance apart. This is my biggest "pet" peeve (no pun intended). I cannot emphasize enough how tediously time-CONSUMING (the essence of timesaving at this point has long been defeated) this is. The hooded version has three modular hoods (an 2 inter-connected upper hoods and 1 lower hood) that can be detached. The lower hood is monstrous and cumbersome and unwieldy (and I'm an avid weightlifter with mild back problems...hint hint). This lower hood has angled recesses that easily catch residual litter...therefore, when you lift the hood, the excessive litter will be flung all over your floor. Make sure you have a broom and dustpan handy!!! To make a long story short, I found myself having to take off all the hoods everytime the litterbox malfunctioned). The lower hood's attachment's are flimsy in terms of alignment. Can you imagine if the hood of your car had to be removed (not just lifted) everytime you had to work on it???

If alignment is not perfect, mechanical jams ARE guaranteed.

D. Oh, and the litterbox I bought was defective out of the box. The sensor which detects when the cat is in/out of the litter box and triggers the automated raking device does not work at all. All this time, I've been triggering the raking device manually by powering the device. This does not contribute favorably to my impression of this device. I haven't had time to call tech support let alone return the device.

E. The instructions have lousy and diminutive black-and-white instructions in a confusing tri-lingual columnar layout, making initial assembly of the product very confusing to me (and I'm the type of the person who LOVES to assemble gadgets and IKEA furniture). Fortunately, it includes an illustrative VHS video that can also be watched on Petmate's website.

In conclusion, I found myself doing more maintenance and floor sweeping using this $200.00 product when compared to a simple $10.00 litterbox.

I therefore do NOT recommend this product. Paws down!

Thanks for reading!!

[...]

December 10th 03, 11:59 AM
[...]

December 24th 03, 12:01 AM
Sorry about the redundant postings of my previous message. I don't know how this happened since I submitted that message only once (I swear)!

Anyhoo, I'd like to submit an update of my continuing woes with the Petmate Performa Plus litterbox.

As I mentioned previously, the first iteration I purchased was indeed defective out of the box per my conversation with Petmate's customer service. I exchanged it at Petco. Lo and behold, I noticed slight differences in the packaging: improved documentation regarding the functionality of the sensors was provided as were a few stickers regarding first-time usage warnings, and the disposable litter bag is now pre-installed.

I assembled the product (I've become as efficient as an Indy car pit crew member by this time) and upon power-up, immediately perceived that motor sounded "healthier" than my previous defective purchase. Sensors triggered at specified time interval. Okay, off to a good start!

Or so it seemed...

Despite the healthier sounding motor, it still lacks the horsepower to reliably rake litter. To exacerbate matters, I noticed that the lower hood was more ill-fitting than the first version I had. As this hood serves as a quasi-railing system for the raking mechanism, poor alignment will cause a jam. Despite my best attempts, I can never get the hood to properly align as the rake would often cause the FLIMSY hood to shift off its alignment notches.

After one month of frustration, I still cannot get this product to work.

I called customer support on Tues., 12/23 at 2:30 PM PST but they closed early due to the holidays.

This was the final straw that broke this camel's back.

I'm returning the product and hereby forwewarn anyone contemplating the purchase of a Petmate Performa automated litterbox.

In my opinion, this is a case of trying to build a better mousetrap. All this technical complexity to save you, the catlover, a few minutes of cleaning time, will instead cause hours of aggravation and bring out the mechanical engineer inside of you that you never knew existed. You will find yourself saying, "Geez, I could've come up with a better design!"

On an anecdotal note, Doskocil, the makers of Petmate products, also makes plastic cases for rifles and pistols. I happen to own a large pistol case that was split in two by a burglar a few years ago, rendering the case useless for its intended purpose. Interestingly, the pistol case is about the size of two litter boxes put together. I'm going to take out the foam padding and replace it with litter.

Thanks again for reading...

[...]

December 24th 03, 05:09 PM
I use 4 Littermaids for my 8 cats. 3 of the LM's are 3 years old
One I just got. LM Plus seems quieter and more poswerful.

I shall stick with this brand.

LT

Linda Terrell
December 24th 03, 05:09 PM
I use 4 Littermaids for my 8 cats. 3 of the LM's are 3 years old
One I just got. LM Plus seems quieter and more poswerful.

I shall stick with this brand.

LT

Trainop
January 9th 04, 11:57 PM
I too have had a terrible experience with this stupid litterbox. I purchased the Performa Litter box after getting tired of buying a littermaid every year for my three cats. First of all, I had the Performa all of two weeks when both of the triangular shaped pieces snapped off. I called the company and they in turn sent me the wrong pieces. After sending them a picture via e-mail as to just what exactly was broken, they sent me the right parts but no screws. That is when I discovered just how bad this this was put together. After taking the whole thing apart, I discovered that mechanism underneath was misaligned which caused the parts to break. In my attempt to fix it I discovered that aside from the plastic, there is nothing to secure the screws to the thing. So, if the plastic breaks you are just out of luck.
After two hours and by using my own screws I managed to get it to work again. I can't use the cover because it will jam. It rakes when it wants to and when it does the tines are spaced so far apart that it leaves a lot behind causing me to have to rake it myself. If anyone out there is considering getting this thing don't waste your money because it will surely waste your time. If you get it as a gift, ask the person does he still have the receipt.
It's a piece of crap.

[...]

January 9th 04, 11:58 PM
[...]

January 10th 04, 04:03 PM
On Fri, 9 Jan 2004 23:57:41 UTC, "Trainop" >
wrote:

> I too have had a terrible experience with this stupid litterbox. I purchased the Performa Litter box after getting tired of buying a littermaid every year for my three cats.

(snippity do dah)

My very first littermaid finally died after nearly 4 years and 5-8
cats.
course, it's not my only LM. I had 2 for several years. Then got
a megamaid too.

wrote:

> I too have had a terrible experience with this stupid litterbox. I purchased the Performa Litter box after getting tired of buying a littermaid every year for my three cats.

(snippity do dah)

My very first littermaid finally died after nearly 4 years and 5-8
cats.
course, it's not my only LM. I had 2 for several years. Then got
a megamaid too.

LT

Grant
April 28th 04, 07:04 AM
I bought Petmate Performa 5 days ago and the darn thing does not rake after
the cat uses the box. It appears that the sensors do not pick up that she
has used the box. I am going to return it to the store are there any
better alternatives around?

Has any body else exprienced faults with this product?

Grant
April 28th 04, 07:04 AM
I bought Petmate Performa 5 days ago and the darn thing does not rake after
the cat uses the box. It appears that the sensors do not pick up that she
has used the box. I am going to return it to the store are there any
better alternatives around?

Has any body else exprienced faults with this product?

mblack218
October 5th 04, 11:59 PM
LitterMaid Automatic Litter Box LM520 is the newest LitterMaid. I think
it's great, of course it's not 100% perfect, but great never the less.

Here's the Petsmart link to view. It's $99 there.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444180 7324&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302033737&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1097016567356